Mother’s Day Brownies

by Meghann on May 13, 2013

Yesterday Derek and I surprised his mom with a Mother’s Day breakfast feast.

The plan was to arrive early and have his mom wake up to a house smelling of bacon and fresh coffee, but she decided to be an early riser for Mother’s Day. Oh, well. We didn’t exactly give her the surprise we were going for, but she did have the chance to sit back and relax as we prepped some of her breakfast favorites.

On the menu, we had:

Egg Casserole with Spinach, Leeks, and Goat Cheese

Fruit Salad

Bacon

Hashbrowns + Whole Wheat Toast (unpictured)

And Tiramisu Brownies

I know, right? Helllooooo Gorgeous!

The brownies were a special treat Derek and I made from scratch the night before thanks to a little care package courtesy of Barista Prima Coffeehouse (as part of the K-Cup Ambassador program).

Included in the package were all the ingredients needed to make the brownies, plus a few optional surprises we could include to make them our own. Anyone who knows me, knows I’m not much of a baker, but I love a challenge and the brownies sounded like a good one.

Here’s my version:

• 4 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped, roasted hazelnuts
  • 8 oz Mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
  • 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips. Stir until smooth, then set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13″ x 9″ baking pan and set aside.

Add the melted chocolate to a mixing bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat in the butter, followed by 1 cup of sugar, then the 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites. Add the cake flour, Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, minus 1 cup of brownie batter.

Place the ladyfingers upside down on top of the batter, pushing down slightly on each one. Brew 1 Barista Prima Coffeehouse® Italian Roast K-Cup pack. Using a pastry brush, carefully brush the coffee & rum mixture over the ladyfingers until they are saturated.

In another bowl, combine the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, 1/4 cup of sugar, 4 egg whites, hazelnuts, and the vanilla extract. Carefully spread topping over ladyfingers. Then, place spoonfuls of the reserved brownie batter on top of the creamy filling and swirl it lightly with a toothpick or knife. Sprinkle with any remaining hazlenuts.

Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until center is almost set and brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely in the pan before slicing.

IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0402.jpg

Derek and I made the brownies together. It was his first time ever using a double boiler and my first time messing with lady fingers or mascarpone cheese. The recipe was easy to follow, but a little time consuming. Tip: Don’t be shy with the coffee and the lady fingers. I wish I would have been a little more heavy handed there.

The brownies were amazing. They were fluffy, moist, and the perfect mix of brownie and tiramisu. The recipe also made a TON. We took half the pan to Mother’s Day brunch and still had plenty leftover.

And Mom’s verdict? She kept going back for “just one more bite.” I’d say that means they were a hit!

Did you do anything special for your mom/ mother-in-law for Mother’s Day this year?

1 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats May 13, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Those brownies look incredible! I was home with my parents this weekend so we celebrated by making breakfast and taking my mother to the beach for a day of sun and sand 🙂
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..A motivational story to top all motivational stories.

2 Elizabeth @ Positive Change May 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Those brownies look amazing! I bet they tasted amazing! We surprised my mother-in-law by going back to our hometown, she was totally surprised!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Super Random Post

3 Amanda @ Peanut Butter and Adrenaline May 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Those brownies look so good! I wish I had found this recipe earlier. My mom loves tiramisu, and my sister wanted to make it but it takes forever. I’ll have to send her this link!
Amanda @ Peanut Butter and Adrenaline recently posted..A Week Off and an Accidental Fartlek

4 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life May 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm

wow i never would’ve thought that they had recipes on the back of kcup boxes haha.

5 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer May 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I love Tiramisu and Brownies. I’m sure these would be a winner!

6 marie May 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Meghann, I am a fan and supporter of yours. You have a genuinely positive energy that many bloggers feign, or don’t even bother to pretend to have.

The mention of brownies in this entry (and the title, too, no less) rubbed me the wrong way. I felt uncomfortable reading you shilling a commercial product in a Mother’s Day post. It felt weird and self-serving on a day that should be selfless.

Please understand where some readers come from when they mention that so many “ambassador” posts are uncomfortable.

I know you have to make a living. Hell, I’d love to get paid to get free stuff like you do, who wouldn’t? But the frequency of such posts are becoming alienating. When a blogger ever has to say, “I love [product] so much, I paid for it myself!”, something is very wrong.

7 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) May 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Derek’s mom looks super young!

Those brownies look bakery-quality! Good job!
Joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..National Women’s Health Week

8 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 13, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I want a few slices of that brownie tiramisu! Yum!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Chocolate Avocado Mousse Tart

9 Tara May 13, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Those look delicious, this is the second time today I saw a recipe I wanted to try that requires a double broiler! Might need to go shopping for one 🙂
Tara recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day!

10 Kate @KateMovingForward May 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Oh my word–those brownies look amazing!! I didn’t see my mom this weekend, but last weekend we went to Wicked! It was amazing!!
Kate @KateMovingForward recently posted..What’s Beautiful To Me.

11 PluvK May 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Your mother-in-law is beautiful! I woke up early to pick up my mom flowers and a card (to go with her deluxe pedicure certificate!) and drove over before my parents left for church. She loved the early surprise, but even more so because I brought her grand-doggy with me. She’s a sucker for the pup!

12 Ja @Ja on the RUN May 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm

OMG! Tiramisu + brownies = love the sound of that! 🙂
Ja @Ja on the RUN recently posted..Yo-Gas! 🙂

13 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 13, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Yum these look great so delicious!

My mum, sister and I did an 8km charity walk for Mother’s Day to raise money for breast cancer research.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Trial Tuesdays #1

14 Lisa May 14, 2013 at 5:14 am

Those brownies look amazing!!! 🙂

15 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 14, 2013 at 5:19 am

My mom insisted on making brunch for her mom and brothers, so my siblings and I went out early to help. Pretty similar to yours: french toast, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage, yogurt parfaits, and a frittata. No tiramisu brownies, though, but those look amazing!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Mother’s Day Festivities

16 Clara May 14, 2013 at 6:57 am

Your mother in law is seriously beautiful!!!!!! And the brownies look incredibly yummy!!!! Sounds like a great day! 🙂

17 gia May 14, 2013 at 7:34 am

Those brownies are to die for

18 Molly @ RDexposed May 14, 2013 at 8:11 am

Goat cheese and mascarpone cheese in 1 meal? Smart move.

19 Christina May 14, 2013 at 8:41 am

Aww, this was really sweet of you and Derek! These brownies sound really intriguing. Did you feel the ladyfingers added to the brownies, or did they break down during cooking?

20 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 14, 2013 at 9:10 am

Those brownies look incredible! And seriously, what a cute idea to surprise her with breakfast! 🙂
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..An Excerpt From…

21 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

Those brownies are lovely! What a nice way to surprise your mother-in-law. Very thoughtful!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s a Killer!

22 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona May 14, 2013 at 9:47 am

That Mother’s Day breakfast looks pretty tasty.

We made my mom a special lunch and topped it off with a cherry pie and ice cream for dessert.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Bike Ride

23 Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine May 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Tiramisu is one of my most favorite desserts ever so I MUST try these!!!

24 Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 14, 2013 at 11:30 am

Love the idea of incorporating coffee into brownies. Chocolate and coffee are two of my favorite things, so seems like a great fit.

Unfortunately, I live on the east coast, and my mother lives in the mid-west so I didn’t get to see her. Luckily, we both have a wedding in a couple weeks, and I will see her there!
Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..A Winery Kind of Weekend

25 Steph May 14, 2013 at 11:40 am

Love love love tiramisu! Great recipe! Going to try these ASAP.
Steph recently posted..Mother’s day weekend

26 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Oh, tiramisu is my favorite dessert! Yum 🙂 What a nice way to celebrate Mothers Day.

27 Lori May 14, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Those brownies sure look tasty! Quick question – your recipe says to brush the coffee and rum mixture, but you don’t have rum listed in the ingredients. How much rum did you use?

28 Chelsea May 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Umm, brownies for brunch? Yes please. Tiaramisu brownies. Sign me up RIGHT. NOW. I have a Keurig, too, and I never think to use it or the K-cups for anything other than my morning coffee, so I think this is pretty darn phenomenal – one that I saved for later, that’s for sure!
Chelsea recently posted..Things I Know