Weekly Workouts: 5/6 – 5/12

by Meghann on May 12, 2013

Good evening.

How was everyone’s weekend? Mine was full, but wonderful. I got to celebrate Mother’s Day with my beautiful mother yesterday and my equally beautiful mother-in-law this morning. It doesn’t get much better than that.

I also got to enjoy my second-to-last free weekend before Ironman training officially begins next Monday. My weeks of taking it easy are quickly coming to a close. Bring it on!

Monday

AM: CrossFit

PRESS TIGE

Warm up:

• 400 m run; shoulder mobility; 10 pvc pass thrus, 10 pvc windmills ea dir; 2x: 10 squats, 8 swings, 6 close grip push ups (elbows tucked in), 4 strict pull ups

Skill Focus: Press

• 5 rm press (2-3 attempts)

WOD: w/ a partner (at a 1:1)

• 7 front squats 115#/85# (I did 65#)
  • 7 swings 70#/53# (I did 35#)
  • 7 C2B pull ups
  • 5 rds ea for team time

My 5 RM press sucked. Without the power of a push, swing, something I’m WEAK in the press department. Luckily I made up for it in the WOD. I partnered up with one of the stronger girls in the class, which ended up working to my advantage because Speedy McSpeedy kicked some major butt. Her kicking butt inspired me to kick butt and we ended up being the first team done.

20130506_065444.jpg

Tuesday

AM: 4 Mile Run

4 miles is officially my favorite distance to run during the week. It’s the distance of my favorite route and I can usually finish the run without pushing time. That’s why you see me do a lot of 4 milers.

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

UPSIDE DOWN HOW?

Warm up:

• 300 m shuttle (50 forward, 50 backward); sh mob; 10 pass thrus, 20 straight legged toe touches, 4 wall climbs + push up, 10 alt lunges w/ arm raise, 10 sq jumps, 10 back x

Skill Focus: HSPU

• 3 x max reps hspu

WOD: AMRAP in 15 min

• 1, 2, 3, 4. . . DL to HPC to PC 135#/95# (I did 55#)
  • 10 plyo push ups
  • 20 yd shuttle x 2
  • Push ups and shuttle stay constant, add a rep to bar complex each round.

My shoulders were sore for DAYS after this WOD. I started with 65# on the bar, but ended up dropping right before we started and I’m so glad I did. After the third or round, I had trouble keeping the DL (dead lift) to HPC (hand power clean) to PC (power clean) sequence straight.

PM: Swim 1650 yards

• 50 easy
  • 2 x 50 @ 1:00
  • 50 cool down

20130508_191728.jpg

Thursday

AM: 3 mile run

I love my runs with Maddie.

Friday

AM: CrossFit

The Volkswagen

Warm up:

• 200 m row/run; 10 pvc pass thrus, 10 ring rows, 10 good mornings, 10 sit ups, 10 ea alt lunges; hip, calf, ankle mobility

Skill Focus: Deadlift

• Deadlift 5 rm (1-3 attempts max)

WOD:

• 21. 15. 9
  • bench press bw/70% ( I did 65#)
  • pull ups

Holy bench presses!!! This one was brutal! In other news, I set a new PR for my deadlift 5 rm: 145#! Considering my 1rm is currently set at 155 and my last 3 rm was 125, I’d say that’s a huge improvement. I felt strong at that weight too, like I was really giving it my all. Makes me want to try for my 1rm again!

Saturday

Rest

Unless you count walking around Magic Kingdom?

Sunday

Run: 6 MIles

Sticking with my trend of keeping a decent pace for my Sunday runs – managed an 8:45 average! Unfortunately I didn’t plan my time well and was almost late for Mother’s Day Brunch afterwards – MAJOR fail!

____

On my mind lately: sticking with CrossFit while Ironman training.

As I count down my final weeks to Ironman training, I’m afraid I’m also counting down my final days of CrossFit. Unfortunately, I’m afraid there just aren’t enough hours in the day to do CrossFit and train for my Ironman. Some friends have recommended checking out CrossFit Endurance, but the thing I love about my box is that it’s so close to my house. The closest CrossFit Endurance box is about 20 minutes from me and I can tell you right now that I’m not willing to make the drive.

I’m going to miss CrossFit, but I’m afraid it’s time for a break. *sniff *sniff

1 Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose May 12, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Enjoy your last week of “rest” before ironman training! Although your above workouts seem like an insane training regime of some sort anyway 🙂 ps, walking around magic kingdom all day counts as a workout for sure!
Molly @ There Goes Molly Rose recently posted..The Great Mother’s Day Race

2 lisa fine May 12, 2013 at 9:36 pm

While it’s been fun to hear about your CrossFit adventures, I’m really curious to hear about IronMan training! Very cool, and impressive. 🙂

I had a great weekend. Spent time with our new puppy, and my fiance and I spent time with my family today, including a delicious made-at-home brunch.
lisa fine recently posted..going on here.

3 Sybil May 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I have loved following your crossfit workouts and have been so inspired to start doing it myself, but I do often wonder how it fits in with athletes who do (or want to do) endurance sports. I will miss reading about your current workouts, but am excited to read about your new ones!
Sybil recently posted..Running Wild: Weekly Wrap-up

4 Jesica @rUnladylike May 13, 2013 at 12:18 am

Awesome week of workouts! Congrats! Good luck with IM training!!! June 1 officially kicks off my half ironman training season. Oh how I will miss sleeping in on Sundays to go on a long bike ride instead 🙂 Have a great week ahead!
Jesica @rUnladylike recently posted..How to Be the World’s Greatest Spectator

5 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane May 13, 2013 at 12:37 am

I still need to try crossfit. Why is there never a Groupon?!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..A Recipe!

6 [email protected] May 13, 2013 at 2:27 am

Speaking about weekend vs weekday runs. I had a great 9K run on Thursday at 7 pm after 10 hours of work and cleaning the house . Then I tried again on Saturday 8 am and I could do only 5 K with that pace. I was completely out of breath, dehydrated and hot. The weather was almost ideal both timws. Any suggestions what might be happening? Is is morning vs evening runs? Or weekend vs weekday? Should I hydrate more in the morning?
[email protected] recently posted..Artistic Sunday

7 Debbie B. May 13, 2013 at 5:36 am

At least you know crossfit will be there once you are done with the ironman. You can always go back.

8 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 13, 2013 at 6:58 am

I’m sure once you start your ironman training though you are going to love it (says me having never done either)…hehe but I’m sure as others have said if you really miss it it will always be there when you are done with your ironman training.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Marvelous in My Mondays #8

9 Karen May 13, 2013 at 8:28 am

Meghann… I too have had to give up CrossFit once my marathon training got into full gear. (We train lots of peeps all year long…) I can imagine how IronMan training will go. I think the strength training is good… but the fear of getting hurt (I got a bad shoulder injury) and the extra training … well. As far as CrossFit Endurance… ehhh… I still think the slower, longer runs work better. Can’t wait to hear all about your IM training.. you INSPIRE me!!
Karen recently posted..WE ARE UNSTOPPABLE!

10 sara @ fitcupcaker May 13, 2013 at 8:31 am

aww.. im sure crossfit will miss you too, but that is just a lot and who would have time for that much? Its pretty time consuming
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Mother’s Day Dinner And Lightened Up Blueberry Crisp

11 Elisabeth May 13, 2013 at 11:41 am

I’m excited to hear about your IM training!

12 Ashley May 13, 2013 at 11:52 am

I was almost late for a Mother’s day lunch as well! Reservations were at 2p and I didn’t get back from my workout until well after 1! I’ve never gotten ready for something so quickly, haha

Can’t wait to follow your Ironman training!
Ashley recently posted..Run, ride, run- Oh my!

13 Meaghan May 13, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I’m currently training for my first Ironman – IM Lake Placid – using Crossfit Endurance. I have a coach who plans my workouts for me and I just do my Crossfit workouts at my regular gym. The training style has worked really really well for me. I am very injury-prone, and I have found that the higher intensity + lower volume of CFE has really helped me stay injury free while increasing my endurance, speed, and strength. I’ve had several running PRs this season, and just completed my first Half Ironman on Saturday with really great results. I think the high intensity strength part of Crossfit is really what has helped me become so prepared during this training block. As an FYI, my typical week usually looks like: Monday- Masters swim practice, squat work, and a WOD; Tuesday- bike intervals, EMOM strength practice, and a WOD; Weds- run intervals, OH press work, and a WOD; Thursday- stretching or yoga; Fri- Masters swim practice, deadlift work, and a WOD; Saturday- long bike ride and a short strength workout; Sunday- long run.

14 Annette @FitnessPerks May 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Yay for upcoming IM training! Can’t wait to see how it’ll look–that’s so so intense, girl!

As for missing CF, that is sad you have to give it up….but my rec is to not give up strength training or core work entirely. I am sure it’s a part of your plan, but it’s something I see in endurance athletes often, and they’d be much, MUCH stronger & better athletes if they incorporated core & strength work at least 2x/week. Even if it’s not the ‘tri’ sport, it’s still training work that is so so helpful for races. Just a thought! 🙂
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekend Recap + Blog Redesign

15 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy May 13, 2013 at 3:42 pm

You are like the energizer bunny! I found that with Marathon training, there is not enough time or energy to do anything but my training runs. Well, I do lift a teeny tiny bit every once in a while but on long runs, I’m usually useless the rest of the day.
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..My Awesome Mother’s Day

16 mi-an dela cruz May 13, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I”m training for half and doing cf and yoga right now…i think it’s perfect combo. i love cf so much. don’t think i’ll ever give it up. i do wanna train for a triathlon eventually tho!!

17 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

I’m on the flip side of things… this time last year I was in full running mode training for my half and I keep running into family members that are like “how’s your running going?!” and I’m like ummm I don’t do that anymore lol. Between volleyball once a week, coaching cheerleading once or twice a week, and CrossFit… I’m all set! Paying the hefty price tag for CrossFit… I’d rather go there more than skip it for a run day. And I’m always SO sore after those workouts that if I have the time, I’d rather take my pooch for a leisurely stroll. Good luck with your training and like someone said above, CrossFit will be there when your Ironman is over 🙂
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..How Many More Times?