My New Routine

by Meghann on May 8, 2013

5:25 am: First alarm goes off. I turn it off and roll over. Maddie crawls over and curls up next to me. She understands it’s almost time to get up, but Mommy gets 5 minutes of extra sleep.

5:30 am: Second alarm goes off. I have NO idea how to use the snooze feature on the Galaxy S3, so I just started the habit of setting two alarms. The first one wakes me up with a soft, gentle music, while the second one had more of an intense “It’s tiiiimmmmmmeeeee to get up beat.” Eh. The alarms work for me. Maddie knows the second alarm means it’s really time to wake up and starts licking my face. If the second alarm doesn’t get me up, Maddie does.

5:35 am: After a personal stop at the restroom, I take Maddie out for her own potty break. She sniffs, jumps, and eventually does her business.

5:40 am: I head back inside to quickly change and nibble on half a Chewy Bar. I fill my water bottle, tie my shoes, and quickly check my email and social media accounts to make sure nothing crazy happened overnight. No news is good news.

5:50 am: I hop in the car and make the short drive to my CrossFit studio. I’ve really been enjoying the switch to the 6:00am class. All of my box-mates are still wonderful and there’s nothing better than getting a solid workout before starting my day.

6:00 am: CrossFit starts. Today is a good one. We work on hand stand push-ups (HSPU) and I graduate from the band to up against the wall. I also surprise myself by only needing two ab mats instead of three under my head – progress!

The WOD was a 15 minute AMRAP that definitely had me hurting. So many cleans! So much time!

I wore a new Brooks outfit to class (just arrived last night!) and LOVED it.

runhappygear.jpg

The Glycerin shorts were so loose and comfy!

7:00 am: Drive back home.

7:10 am: Jump in the shower and have the age old debate of whether to shave my legs or not (I opted for not).

7:15 am: Put my robe on and start prepping lunch and my swim bag for the day. I also recheck my email and social media accounts.

7:30 am: Make breakfast. Today I had a bowl of low fat ricotta cheese with strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, and Kashi Cinnamon Go Lean Crisp. This has been my breakfast of choice lately.

7:45 am: Get dressed. Put hair half up and call it a day.

7:55 am: Make coffee for my to-go cup (still LOVING our Keurig!).

8:00 am: Give Maddie and Derek a kiss good bye and start my commute to work.

8:40 am: Arrive at work late. Curse horrible traffic.

8:45 am: Sit at my desk and start my work day: answer emails, make phone calls, attend meetings, etc.

10:12 am: Have a handful of nuts from my bag of mixed nuts in my desk. Bag is getting low. Doesn’t matter, I’m pretty sick of them now anyway. Make mental notes to replenish snack drawer with something that isn’t mixed nuts.

12:15 pm: Stomach growls! Lunch time!

brookslunch.jpg

12:20 pm: Head outside with co-workers to eat lunch by the water. I soak in the sunshine while dining on a leftover cous cous, bacon, goat cheese, tomato, and spinach salad with carrots and hummus.

20130508_122428.jpg

1:00 pm: Back at my desk. Back to work.

3:00 pm: Snack time! Head to office kitchen to cut apple slices for peanut butter dipping.

4:15 pm: Pack up and head out to run work-related errands with co-worker.

5:00 pm: Discover the new Wawa on Dale Mabry is now open! Can’t resist stopping in and seeing what it’s all about.

20130508_165551.jpg

Of course, I just had to order something using the screens.

20130508_165445.jpg

Order a berry smoothie. Tastes like a berry milkshake.

20130508_165708.jpg

5:40 pm: Arrive at swim practice early. Attempt taking a nap in parking lot.

5:55 pm: Call sister and wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

6:00 pm: Head inside to change.

6:20 pm: Begin swim practice with friends. No one is really motivated this evening, so we take it easy and give the coach a hard time.

20130508_191728.jpg

7:15 pm: We talk coach into letting us out early tonight. There are group plans for pizza!

7:30 pm: The group meets at Westshore Pizza for a team dinner. We spend way too long figuring out what to order for the group. Typical.

20130508_200344.jpg

7:45 pm: Proceed to stuff face with pizza and salad.

9:00 pm: Arrive home exhausted. Thankful for Derek who takes Maddie out and feeds her.

9:15 pm: Check online for Rocketman photos. Still not up. Contemplate finishing recap but begin writing this post instead.

9:50 pm: Press publish on this post. Next moves include brushing teeth and heading to bed.

Good night!

1 Heather May 8, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Wow! Exhausting day. I don’t know how you do it.

I hope Maggie gets out for more than 2 5 minute breaks in the new routine?

2 Meghann May 8, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Yes, Maddie gets walked more than that. We also let her out in the backyard to run around when we’re getting ready or at night.

3 Heather May 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Oops…I mean Maddie! Sorry.

4 Heather May 8, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Oh, sorry if my tone was misrepresented. I didn’t expect a response. I know you are good to your pup. Just teasing!

5 Allie May 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Setting the snooze is really simple. Go to alarm, tap on the time you have set, scroll down just a bit and turn on snooze. You have the choice of time (5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc) and the number of times it repeats. Hope that helped!
Allie recently posted..Flying Pig Marathon {round 2}

6 Meghann May 9, 2013 at 5:44 am

See, I’ve seen that, but what if you want to randomly press snooze twice one day. Is there a way to do it without pre-setting it?

7 Merideth May 9, 2013 at 7:28 am

When the snooze goes off you have 2 choices: 1. turn off alarm 2. hit snooze again…to me it seems simple to do half asleep!

8 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 9, 2013 at 8:30 am

And SO easy to get addicted to. I’m actually trying to break my snoozing habits, so I recommend never starting 🙂

9 Reenie May 9, 2013 at 10:07 am

I hit my snooze several times on my iPhone. 😉

10 Allie May 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Oh and when the alarm goes off, slide the zzz icon. The X icon turns off the alarm.
Allie recently posted..Flying Pig Marathon {round 2}

11 Danielle May 8, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Busy day!!

12 Ja @Ja on the RUN May 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm

That’s a nice overview of your day. 🙂 i wonder how people’s day is like. Yours is pretty busy. 🙂
Ja @Ja on the RUN recently posted..It’s A Good Weekend!

13 Jean May 8, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I’m having a hard time getting past the fact that something called “Wawa” exists. Looks like they make a mean smoothie, though!

14 [email protected] May 10, 2013 at 8:47 pm
15 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane May 8, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Wow, I’m tired reading about your day. I forgot what Wawa was like!! They don’t have them in California!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..WIAW: Venice You’re Too Cool For Me

16 Dana May 9, 2013 at 12:55 am

I also have the Samsung Galaxy SIII and HATED the first few months because all I thought was “how can this phone have everything, EVERYTHING, but a snooze?”. Felt SO DUMB when I finally found it in the settings….. (was gonna tell you how to do that, but someone else beat me to it 🙂 )

17 Meghann May 9, 2013 at 5:43 am

Yes, I see that setting to create a snooze, but how do you just “snooze” without pre-setting it?

18 PluvK May 9, 2013 at 3:09 am

This was a fun post! I like to see how people fill up their day… and wow! Your day was pretty packed! 🙂

19 PeachyLau May 9, 2013 at 3:55 am

You are very organised
PeachyLau recently posted..UK April glossybox

20 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 9, 2013 at 4:33 am

Wow 5.25am wake up call is impressive. I get up at 6am but struggle with that some days.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Broccoli, Cauliflower & Tuna Cheesy Bake

21 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 9, 2013 at 5:25 am

Sheesh, I’m tired just looking at how busy you are. Looks fun, though!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Trading Travel Dreams

22 Andie May 9, 2013 at 6:00 am

Just curious – do you wear make-up to work?

Sounds like a packed day!

23 Meghann May 9, 2013 at 7:32 am

I do not. I’ve tried several times to get into the habit, but it never stuck.

24 Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 9, 2013 at 6:16 am

I love “day in the life” posts! Sounds like you’ve had a very busy but rewarding and active day 🙂
Jamie at Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..The Time I Studied Abroad in Mexico City (New Recipe!)

25 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 9, 2013 at 7:05 am

Busy, busy girl! Love the Brooke’s workout clothes and breakfast sounds delish!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Waffles for Mom

26 [email protected] May 9, 2013 at 7:10 am

I struggle with getting up by 6:15. Id like to do better and get in a workout in the mornings.
[email protected] recently posted..Running Disney with Extra Magic

27 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife May 9, 2013 at 7:32 am

I’m a big fan of the 6am class too! Now that my schedule changed I miss getting a workout in first thing in the morning.
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Half Marathon: A Plan

28 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 9, 2013 at 7:53 am

You have a busy day! I don’t know if I could do it!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..For the Little Girl in Gym Class

29 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 9, 2013 at 8:39 am

I keep thinking about trying to get to CrossFit before work but the idea of getting up at 5 something makes me cringe! Good for you. Maybe I’ll suck it up and try soon, I do love the idea of getting my workout in before I start my day.

I LOVE Wawa… we have a zillion up here in PA. I love Wawa’s coffee, especially the iced coffee in the summer. I’m a big fan of their hoagies too, especially the chicken salad, and anything with bacon.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Guest Post: Heather’s Whole30 Results!

30 Jodi May 9, 2013 at 8:42 am

Wow, what an awesome idea for breakfast! I had been so good about eating in the morning, and seriously stopped because I was bored with my options. Totally borrowing/stealing this!

31 Jojo May 9, 2013 at 9:03 am

I love getting in an early morning workout, as well.

I’ve never been to a WaWa’s since there are none in my area and I only ever see them on road trips. I’ve heard a lot about them, though.
Jojo recently posted..Cinco de Mayo

32 Jill E. May 9, 2013 at 9:36 am

sounds like an awesome day! good for you!!

i have been on the hunt for new shorts. going to check out those from brooks!
Jill E. recently posted..tuesday

33 Maria May 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

I totally feel you on the jam-packed day. Even the trying to take a nap in the parking lot before going to work out. I have done that many times.

As for the Snooze on the phone (I have the Galaxy S3 as well), you have to turn the Snooze setting to on and the next time that alarm goes off you will be given two options. An X on the left that you hold and slide to the right to turn off the alarm and Zz on the right that you slide to the left to snooze. You can set how long the snooze is for… as someone else mentioned. Snooze is set for each alarm separately. So, if you have 2 alarms, one can have snooze and one can be set to not allow snooze. Hope this helps.
Maria recently posted..Weekly Workouts: 4/29 – 5/4

34 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 9, 2013 at 10:12 am

That is an incredibly busy day! I’m not sure I could function 🙂
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW And A Point To Ponder

35 Emily N May 9, 2013 at 10:30 am

You have one heck of a day now! Especially with a double workout. I am curious how my current day changes once the baby is here…
Emily N recently posted..Best Summer Dinner

36 Emily May 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

I love these kinds of posts! Sounds about the same as mine, I’m usually pretty darn happy come Friday night.

Totally unrelated, but coming from PA where this is an intense battle of WaWa vs Sheetz, I have to say you are missing out on Sheetz 😉 So much better! lol
Emily recently posted..My First “Vlog” and Random Links

37 Megan May 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

That’s a crazy long day! But then I realize some of my days look like that, too, during the academic year. Hope the job is going fantastically! 🙂
Megan recently posted..Review: Huma Energy Gel

38 Kayla May 9, 2013 at 11:05 am

I love knowing all the little details – so interesting to see how people differ! So awesome that you are getting in two workouts a day! Hooray for the IRonman!
Kayla recently posted..Lesson Learned: Vancouver BMO Marathon

39 Sarah @ Yogi in Action May 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

Wow- that is a busy day! And a long one. I’m so impressed with anyone who does two workouts in a day- I’m proud of myself when I get one in!

Also impressed with your turn around time in the morning- I don’t think I could get up at 5:30 and be ready to leave the house at 5:50- I move too slowly that early in the morning!
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Three meals in one

40 Chelsea May 9, 2013 at 11:28 am

Love this!!! For some reason, I always love reading peoples’ day-in-the-life posts 🙂
Chelsea recently posted..A fitness thought

41 Annette @FitnessPerks May 9, 2013 at 11:59 am

Dang, what a long day!! Nice work getting in workouts though 🙂
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Being Fit & Pregnant-a Discussion

42 Ashley May 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Your day looks crazy busy! This has inspired me to track a day in my own life, I feel like I waste a lot of time procrastinating and maybe I can find ways to fit even more in.
Ashley recently posted..Spring has sprung

43 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 9, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Busy busy! Sounds a lot like my day (except I’m up at 6:30 and in bed around 11). It’s so tough to balance a full-time job with working out and blogging and living life!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thursday Thoughts 5/9/13

44 Carolyn May 9, 2013 at 7:03 pm

WAWA!!!!!! The best thing in the NJ area 🙂

45 elena May 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm

i am legit so impressed that you manage to work out TWICE in a day while also working full time. i mean, i know you like working out but still, that is a lot of planning/commitment on your part (way more than i have)! you rock lady!!!

ps. also, your body is proof positive of your efforts you look awesome!

46 Carli May 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Your day sounds crazy busy! And pretty similar to mine other than different types of workouts. 🙂 Right now though not getting enough breaks at work and need to change that. Boo!
Carli recently posted..How to Use Technology to Keep You Fit {UP Jawbone #Giveaway) #FitnessFriday

47 Emma M May 10, 2013 at 12:01 am

Thank you for sharing. I’ve been complaining about not having any time to excercise and this post has made me realised that you organise your day and MAKE time. Thank you once again,

48 [email protected] May 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm

My days are pretty similar – but you get up a tad earlier – and replace some swimming and cross fit with toddler bathtime and lifting toddler up stairs over and over 😉

I’m curious when you start to really get into Ironman training! The commitment is mind boggling to me, especially for those like yourself who have an 8-4/9-5 job
[email protected]. recently posted..Three Things Thursday

49 Jess May 11, 2013 at 3:47 am

An exhausting day by the sounds of it. But I do love getting up early and making the most of it. Thanks for sharing 🙂

50 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) May 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Busy day! Getting up early really makes things so much easier, I find.

Just curious, but do you notice you’re in better shape adding CrossFit to your workouts, or do you find it to be the same as when you’re running/strength training on your own?

51 Meghann May 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I see a major difference in my arms/back muscles. Admittedly my stomach is pretty soft right now thanks to all the sweets I’ve had lately, but my arms and back muscles still look pretty awesome.

52 joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) May 13, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Interesting! I’ve been wondering about that – thanks for replying! I need to add in more strength training into my own life, and would love to do Crossfit a couple of times a week for that purpose..it’s just super pricey where I live (DC area).
joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..National Women’s Health Week