Weekly Workouts: 4/29 – 5/5

by Meghann on May 5, 2013

Monday

AM: CrossFit

HELEN’S BACK

Warm up: 300 m shuttle run; 10 squat & sink, 10 straight leg toe touches; 2 x 8 kb swings, 6 push ups, 4 strict pull ups

Skill/focus: Back Squat

• Warm up as needed and 2 or 3 attempts
  • Back Squat 3 RM

WOD: Heavy Helen

• 1 gasser (300 meter shuttles)
  • 12 kb swings 70#/53# (I did 35#)
  • 6 strict pull ups
  • 3 RFT

I had to drop the bar for the first time in CrossFit on Monday. I broke form during my third rep of my 3 rm attempt and felt myself caving in. It was either drop the bar or hurt my back, I chose to drop the bar.

The “Heavy Helen” was a killer with the heavy swings and pull ups, but also fun thanks to the shuttles. I love any WOD that includes running. 😉

Tuesday

AM: Bike Trainer

It was POURING when I woke up on Tuesday. I’m all for running in the rain, but not when it’s raining so bad that you’re soaked to the bone as soon as you step out the door. Instead of running I opted to try a Spinerval DVD a friend recommended.

spinerval.jpg

The Spinerval DVD ended up being just what I needed. It’s an exercise DVD that takes you through a 45 minute workout on your bike trainer. I loved it because it told me whether I should be on the “big” gear or the “little” gear in the front and which gear I should be on in the back for each segment. Each segment was made up of high intensity intervals that kicked my booty. I’m still learning what workouts I can do on my bike trainer, so it was a great tutorial. I’d definitely recommend it for anyone who is as lost (or bored) on the bike trainer as I am.

PM: Swim

• 1400 yds

My team’s FAVORITE public pool reopened this week. Do you know how you build something up in your head so much that it can never really live up to the pedestal you put it on? Not the case here. The pool was just as amazing as I remembered it. I swear the water just felt fresher and crisper.

Unfortunately we were in the middle in a set when the clouds started moving in and lightening was spotted in the area. We still got about 1400 yds in, which is a-okay in my mind. I can’t wait to return!

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

20130501_065750.jpg

TRIPLE LUNG TRAUMA

Warm up: 400 m run; hip/hammie mob; 250 m row, 10 squats 10 alt lunges w/ arm raise, 10 transverse lunges, 10 strt leg toe touches, 10 push ups, 30 mtn clbrs (in & out)

WOD: Partners

Run: 100 m, 250 m, 500 m, 800 m

Row 800 m, 500 m, 250 m, 100 m or Climb 400 ft, 250, 125, 50

Lots of running = good. Lots of rowing = bad. Ugh.

Thursday

AM: Run

• 4.35 mi/ 00:28

Easy run to get the legs moving in the morning.

Friday

Rest 🙂

I needed a rest day.

Saturday

AM: Shake out run w/ Ben

• 3 mi/ 00:27

Ben and I did a shake out run before our race. It was also an excuse to play catch up with my brother.

Sunday

Rocketman Tri

• 400 meter swim
  • 33 mile bike (my Garmin said 35+)
  • 3.1 mile run

I’ll be back tomorrow with a full recap (hoping to buy some official race photos). The race was AMAZING and totally lived up to everything promised. There was some disorganization in transition, but the bike ride was more than enough to make up for it. I can’t wait to share more!

How did your workouts go last week?

1 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin May 5, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Awesome workouts for the week! I did a few days of weights + HIIT and some runs outside in the sun. And today, absolutely nada. Definitely a good week 🙂

2 wymberley May 5, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I took a much needed 4 day rest but enjoyed hitting some PR during CrossFit Total early in the week. Im looking for my next big run to do in the fall…maybe another marathon…maybe just a half. Beginning the Wendler 5/3/1 program tomorrow to build strength too.
wymberley recently posted..Training Break And Daydream Adventures

3 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 6, 2013 at 1:59 am

Wow looks like you had a great week of workouts. I’m now sick and last week I was verging on getting sick so I didn’t go as hard as I normally do. But looking forward to getting better and getting back into it.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Berry Quinoa Flour Pancakes & May Goals

4 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes May 6, 2013 at 4:50 am

I ended up taking two rest days this week–and can’t remember the last time I’ve done so! Sunday saw some bike-run-bike action, which was awesome. My teammates and I biked to a 5-K, ran the race, and then biked some more. The weather was absolutely gorgeous too–perfect Sunday!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Write It Down, Do It Up – Week of May 5

5 Diane May 6, 2013 at 6:39 am

What a great week!! 4.35 miles in 28 minutes seems super speedy.

6 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats May 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

You had some great workouts this week! All of your swim workouts really have me wanting to start swimming.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Will Run For Guacamole

7 Logan @ Mountains and Miles May 6, 2013 at 8:46 am

Solid week! Can’t wait to hear about the tri!

I had a rest week because of some foot troubles I had on my long run last weekend. I did a lot of biking (about 60 miles) and some yoga. I finally got a 7 miler in on Saturday and my foot felt great, so I’m back to it this week!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..TRF Seeking New BRF

8 Elizabeth @ Positive Change May 6, 2013 at 8:53 am

Great workout fors the week! I can’t wait to read about the TRI! My workouts were easy on cardio ( I had a 1/2 on Saturday), but I did a lot of lifting 🙂
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Silent Sunday~ Cap City 1/2 Marathon

9 Laura May 6, 2013 at 9:05 am

Is your 4 mile run time of 28 mins correct? That is a very fast “easy” pace if so!!

10 Ashley May 6, 2013 at 9:36 am

Awesome workout week, looking forward to your race review!
Ashley recently posted..So close yet so far

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 6, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I kind of like dropping the bar at CrossFit… makes me feel like a bad ass 😉
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Some Fun Eats & the Broad Street Run Expo

12 meredith May 6, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Last week was a taper week for me for running the half yesterday…took it easy today and ready to get back to my normal running schedule!
meredith recently posted..Long Island Half Marathon Recap

13 meghan May 6, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I’m thinking I need to get a trainer and I’ve seen this DVD a few places now. Seems like a good idea! Do you get your heart rate up as high as out on the roads? Is it kind of like treadmill versus outside?

14 PeachyLau May 7, 2013 at 3:35 am

Sporty week

15 [email protected] May 8, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Are the trainers to use the bike indoors super pricy?
[email protected] recently posted..I Cant Believe Im About To Say This

16 Carli May 8, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Can’t wait to hear the recap! I’m a total Spinning virgin. Haven’t tried it and my husband mentions all the time that I need to add that to my workout regimen.

Great workouts!