Return to the Great American Pie Festival

by Meghann on April 29, 2013

Who loves pies?!

I do! I do!

The Great American Pie Festival returned to Celebration, FL this past weekend and, after eating my heart out at the never-ending-pie buffet last year, this pie lover couldn’t wait to return.

I knew a family member or two who couldn’t wait to return either. πŸ˜‰

I called my dad last weekend to ask him if he wanted to meet us at the pie festival again this year. I told him to think about it and call us when he had an answer. His response? Do you want hang up and I’ll immediately call back? Or should I just give you an answer now. He’s a funny one, my dad.

Celebration is actually a great middle ground for us to meet at. We drove an hour and 15 minutes from Tampa and they drove an hour and 15 minutes from Titusville. The word got out to my siblings and their spouse and the pie festival turned into a mini family reunion.

My aunt even showed up with her beau.

Everyone loves pie, right?

We bought our tickets on site and were happy to see the prices didn’t change from last year.

IMG_0133.jpg

$10 for all you can eat pie. That’s really not a bad deal if you ask me.

Once we had our tickets, it was pie time!

Just like last year, the streets were lined with vendors handing out copious amounts of pies.

They had blueberry, cherry, apple, apple and raisin, cranberry and apple, peach, lemon meringue, raspberry lemonade, chocolate, peanut butter, etc. etc. etc. Too many flavors to name!

We made the rookie mistake of diving right in and stuffing our faces from the get go. We grabbed multiple flavors from each table and started eating them while hopping in line for the next pie. It was too much pie, too soon (hello sugar loaded tummy ache!), but man it was good.

IMG_0150.jpg IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.JPG IMG_0155.JPG

After eating too much, too fast, I began to pace myself. Only trying a bite at a time and trying not to overdo it.

IMG_0156.jpg

This was my stash from the Village Inn table.

IMG_0164.jpg

My favorite pie of the day was the dulce de leche from a vendor I didn’t catch the name of it. Oddly enough, I confirmed I’m not a chocolate pie fan. I don’t like chocolate pudding (or chocolate ice cream, really) and the chocolate pies tasted just like chocolate pudding – not for me. I was pleasantly surprised to see I did enjoy the more tart pies (Raspberry Lemonade from Village Inn was a favorite) and the pumpkin pie sadly did nothing for me in the nasty heat, I think it’s need to be Thanksgiving or Christmas to enjoy pumpkin. I was happy to see the peanut butter cream from Wick’s was back. Definitely a favorite from last year and still a favorite today.

Mmm…. pie.

Dunkin Donuts was also in attendance giving out iced coffee.

I tried the iced strawberry shortcake.

I didn’t mind the strawberry undertone in the coffee, but unfortunately it was too sweet. Blah. I can not stand sweetened coffee. I had a couple of sips before giving up on it.

IMG_0171.jpg

We had a lot of fun jumping from pie-to-pie at the buffet. However, I did notice that even though it seemed like the crowds had picked up from last year, they were missing a couple of vendors. Or maybe it just seemed more crowded because there weren’t as many vendors handing out pie?

Once we were all fully stuffed, we headed to the other side of the festival and caught an Iron Chef pie making competition.

Once again I was super impressed with the kids’ activities at the festival. They could decorate chef hats, make their own pies, and decorate pie crusts. I was kind of jealous of all the cool things they could do and wish I had a niece or nephew to explore with.

IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPG

Overall the festival was a blast. It was a little hot and crowded, but we survived. The only downside was no pie made it home.

No carry-outs?! Pshh….

Have you ever been to a food festival?

1 Emily @ The Swallow Flies April 29, 2013 at 9:25 am

That looks awesome! Des Moines has some GREAT festivals, all of which seem to be centered on food — my favorite is the World Food Fest. Tasting decadent treats from Bosnia, Ecuador, Ethiopia, and more is super fun — and delicious!
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Five-Week Testing

2 [email protected] April 29, 2013 at 9:37 am
3 Shannon April 29, 2013 at 9:46 am

I’ve only ever been to Disney’s Food & Wine Festival (every year!) and Flower & Garden Show (which they had lots food at this year in a similar vein as the Food & Wine Fest). I keep telling myself that I need to branch out and go to a non-Disney food festival. I think I could totally handle a pie fest. And Village Inn is the bomb.com when it comes to pies.

4 [email protected] April 29, 2013 at 9:57 am

OMG I am drooling at the thought of all you can eat pie. I would have had to walk the whole way there to burn it all off. Apple and peanut butter.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Happy Monday and Houzz.com

5 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin April 29, 2013 at 10:07 am

How fun! I haven’t been to a food festival but I am actually not a huge pie fan – I would LOVE to go to a cupcake festival!

6 Courtney April 29, 2013 at 10:10 am

Oh my goodness, that looks and sounds delicious! I’ve never been to the pie festival, but it’s not far from me. I’ll have to mark my calendar for next year!
Courtney recently posted..Lessons to be Learned from Seniors

7 Sanne April 29, 2013 at 10:39 am

That looks amazing! If only we had a festival like that in The Netherlands…

8 Amanda @ Peanut Butter & Adrenaline April 29, 2013 at 10:47 am

This sounds fantastic! There’s a sauerkraut festival about an hour away, but most of the festivals in my area are music or arts-related. No complaints about that, though!
Amanda @ Peanut Butter & Adrenaline recently posted..I Did It

9 Carissa @Fit2Flex April 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

I thought the festival was in July? Which I usually don’t go bc I equate 90 degree temps and pie as a bad combo. I saw it was on town yesterday but we didn’t have it in our schedule. I really would like to go someday as it looks so well organized, affordable, and yummy!
Carissa @Fit2Flex recently posted..Gaylord Palms Orlando

10 Monica April 29, 2013 at 10:57 am

Wow sounds amazing!! I’ve been to food festivals but not exclusively pie ones. Sounds like a worthwhile indulgence!
Monica recently posted..Places I’ve been so far… where should I go next?

11 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

This makes me definitely want something sweet for breakfast!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Gluten free diet + Whole Foods Gift Card giveaway!

12 Emily N April 29, 2013 at 11:19 am

Looks like you guys had an awesome time at the festival again! πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..Glass City Half Marathon: Race Recap

13 Rhoda @3cheaprunners April 29, 2013 at 11:35 am

My oh my, that is alot of pie! Pie is my favorite dessert and I don’t get to eat it nearly enough so I think I could handle that festival!

14 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 29, 2013 at 11:51 am

$10 for AYCE pie?! I just died and went to pie heaven.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Music, clothes and a recipe, oh my!

15 Tara April 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm

No mention of RHUBARB PIE?! Only the best pie in the world! If you enjoy tart pies then I just did you a favor!
Tara recently posted..Let’s Go Warriors!

16 Sara @ lovingontherun April 29, 2013 at 12:26 pm

This is the most amazing post ever!!! That pie looks amazing! πŸ™‚
Sara @ lovingontherun recently posted..Social Media and Comparisons

17 Chelsea April 29, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I’ve never been to a food festival, but I think a festival dedicated to pie might just be the perfect place to start!
Chelsea recently posted..Trouble giving compliments?

18 Maureen April 29, 2013 at 1:08 pm

You can only carry out what you have stuffed in your purse, right??
Maureen recently posted..iWeekend

19 Nell April 29, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Oh yes, dulce de leche would be my favorite as well…and it’s a treat we can find easily here in CFL – lucky us! Great pictures and fun post Meghann πŸ™‚
Nell recently posted..Running To Simply Enjoy The View

20 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy April 29, 2013 at 1:53 pm

My mom always had a craft booth at the Apple Butter Festival, and the Strawberry Festival. I am running a race on fathers day, a 5k All American in St. Louis. They have Pie at the end!

21 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise April 29, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh my, I think this looks like my version of heaven. I absolutely love fruit pies, and it looks like there was a great selection at the festival. So jealous I don’t live in FL. I think I’ve been to more beer festivals than food festivals, but I have been to the Taste of Chicago several years ago, which I loved and I hope to attend this summer.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Race Recap: Illinois Marathon

22 Annette @FitnessPerks April 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

How fun!

I’m not a pie lover at all, but an ICE CREAM or Fro Yo festival -all you can eat thing- is one I’d totally be all over.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekend Snapshots

23 Ja @Ja on the RUN April 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Sounds like a fun event! I love pies too. πŸ™‚
Ja @Ja on the RUN recently posted..Productive Weekend

24 Carli April 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Oh my that’s a lot of pie! I wouldn’t have made it all day.

Never been to a food festival.
Carli recently posted..Why Aren’t You Working Out?

25 Ashley April 29, 2013 at 2:28 pm

That is an amazing price for endless pie!
Ashley recently posted..Confession Time

26 Caitlin April 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

i love pie πŸ™‚
Caitlin recently posted..Take a Stand Against Sitting

27 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 29, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I’ve never been to a food festival, but I’d love to go! Unfortunately, I’d probably want to try one of everything and leave completely stuffed.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..First Cookout of the Year!

28 Marilyn April 29, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. This looks like the best thing ever. My mind is blown…in a good way.
Marilyn recently posted..Weekly wrap-up

29 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 29, 2013 at 4:28 pm

That sounds absolutely heavenly! I’d love to go to something like a pie festival someday, but I think I’d have a really, really tough time not going into a total sugar coma. I’d want to eat everything! Haha.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Ravenswood Run Recap

30 Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com April 29, 2013 at 6:35 pm

How have I not heard about this festival?! That is awesome! I would be in heaven! Glad you had a fun time with family, too πŸ™‚
Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com recently posted..Speed Work is back in my life!

31 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 29, 2013 at 6:42 pm

YUM! That pie looks so good, sounds like an awesome way to kill some time on the weekend. The peanut butter one sounds delicious!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Family, Fun, and Froyo

32 [email protected] April 29, 2013 at 7:00 pm

That looks both awesome and tummy ache inducing all at once! πŸ˜‰
[email protected] recently posted..Weekend Round-Up and Easy Peasy Honey Mustard Chicken

33 Courtney April 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I am so jealous!!! My husband and I need this Festival to come to Georgia ASAP!
Courtney recently posted..When Mr. Banana Meets Mrs. Egg

34 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 29, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Oh my goodness, all of that pie looks delicious! I’m so jealous! πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Monday Mail

35 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 29, 2013 at 8:52 pm

My mom and I try to make it to the food and wine festival in epcot every year. Locally, I love Long Island’s strawberry festival!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..MIMM: the best of both worlds

36 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles April 29, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I’ve heard about this one! I’ll add it to my list. I love everything from Village Inn!
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..MIMM: City Fireworks and Weekend Fun

37 BroccoliHut April 29, 2013 at 10:15 pm

This looks like so much fun!
Seth and I went to a strawberry festival when we first started dating. It was definitely a fun date idea!
This post is making me want to find another food festival ASAP.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Roasted Corn Salad with Cilantro Pesto

38 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie April 29, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Omg I want to eat all that pie!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..A Weekend House Party

39 chuck April 30, 2013 at 2:00 am

Looks like a lot of fun Meghann! I texted Derek on Sunday and asked if he wanted to hang out… He said he was at a pie eating festival… I told him that he was making the far better choice lol

40 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 30, 2013 at 6:08 am

Holy Cow I wish I could have gone to that festival!
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..My 2nd visit to the Naturopath

41 ct cupcake April 30, 2013 at 8:54 am

Pie Festival sounds like fun! We don’t have any food fests in SCT.

sidenote, it’s not a “rookie mistake” if you’ve actually done whatever event you’re referencing(in this case, the pie festival).
ct cupcake recently posted..Part 2

42 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 30, 2013 at 9:18 am

It seems like I was just reading last year’s recap of the pie festival! This always looks like such a good time. You’re right-who doesn’t love pie?!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Sunshine On My Shoulders

43 Ani Danelz April 30, 2013 at 11:39 am

Not a sweets fan so I would have definitely been out of my element at a Pie Festival! Every summer we go to the strawberry festival in a nearby town. They have everything from strawberry donuts to strawberry salsa!

44 joelle (on a pink typewriter) April 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Pie buffet? OMG.

Also, can I just tell you I adore your haircut SO much?

45 PeachyLau April 30, 2013 at 5:00 pm

A cheesecake festival and I would be in heaven
PeachyLau recently posted..Looks familiar?

46 Mary April 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I’ve never been to a food festival before. $10 all you can eat pie? Is that true?! I can eat a lot of pie!!!
Mary recently posted..Live to run or run to live?

47 Nicole April 30, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I have never been to a food festival, but it looks like so much fun!

48 Jojo May 1, 2013 at 10:34 am

Wow, that pie festival sounds like my kind of thing. Did they have any savory pies? That would be nice to counter all the sweetness.

I wish I could go to food festivals like this. $10 for all you can eat pie is a great deal! I’ve been to a “Taste of St. Louis” festival where a lot of local restaurants sell bite sized samples. It was pretty overpriced!

49 Swati May 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I would love to go to a pie festival. But, afterwards a crane would be needed to lift me up.

50 Tracy May 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Your hair looks so cute! How do you get it to stay so straight?? Please share!