more ยป" />

Weekly Workouts: 4/22 – 4/28

by Meghann on April 28, 2013

Something has been missing on this blog lately – my workouts. Since I’m not blogging daily about them anymore, I decided to start a “Weekly Workout” segment. I was planning on starting this when Ironman Florida training officially kicks off on May 20th (<– Yep! I have an official training start date!), but I was getting antsy and decided this week was as good of a week as any.

Plus, it might might be fun to look back and see the changes from pre-Ironman training to full on Ironman training. Just to give you a sneak peek, here’s what June is going to look like:

Screen shot 2013-04-28 at 7.33.15 AM.png

Oddly enough, I’m really excited about it. I <3 training plans!

As I’m in “pre-training” mode I’ve been taking it relatively easy and just working on keeping my base. I try to swim twice a week, run three times a week, and bike once a week, but that didn’t exactly happen this week. I had car issues on Thursday so swimming was out (don’t worry, my new car is fine – I just had a mini run in with the parking garage, luckily my friend fixed it and it’s good as new) and I was short on time on Saturday so my normal bike day was out too. Whoops.

Here’s the break down:

Monday

AM: CrossFit

• Warm up: shoulder mobility; 300 m row; 2x wall climbs x 2, squat jumps x 5, ring rows x 5
  • Skill Focus: Bench Press Bench 6 x 6 EMOM @ 70% of 1 rm then. . . 2 x max reps 1 arm db row AHAP (rest 2 min between)
  • WOD: AMRAP for 6 minutes HSPU on odd minutes, Box jumps 24โ€/20โ€ on even minutes

PM: Run for Boston

• 3 mi / 00:26-ish (wasn’t wearing a watch)

20130422_181236.jpg

Tuesday

AM: Run with Maddie

• 3.3 mi / 00:30

Maddie was bouncing off the walls Tuesday morning begging for a run. It’s the one way I know that will really calm her down, plus she loves nothing more than to get outside and run.

PM: Ladder Swim

• 2400 yards

Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 8.22.28 PM.png

Wednesday

AM: CrossFit

• Warm up: Shoulder mobility; 400 m run; plank shoulder circles 10 ea direction; 2 x 5 kb swings, 5 ring push ups, 5 strict chin ups
  • Skill Focus: Ring & MU Progressions (worked on dips and chin ups)
  • WOD: Tabata (4 min ea station w/ 1 min transition between exercises)
  • Swings 53#/35# (I used 30)
  • Sledge slams
  • Ring dips (parallel bar dips)
  • V ups

This one KILLED me! It was my first time doing sledge slams and I learned that I’m not aggressive enough for that station. Sledge slams definitely take some power to get them going.

boston.jpg

Wore my Adidas Boston shirt to CrossFit on Wednesday. The shirt sold out in just a couple of hours when they released it last week and raised over one million dollars for OneBostonFund.org in the process!

Thursday

AM: Run

• 5 mi/ 00:46

The sun is starting to rise earlier, so my early runs aren’t so pitch black anymore. I love the longer days of summer, they’re really going to make training so much easier.

Friday

AM: CrossFit

I don’t have the exact WOD on hand, but it was a combination of all the moves used in the Open. It also called for the counting of a lot of reps.

reps.jpg

Who needs a calculator when you have basic third grade math skills to help you add? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Saturday

AM: Run

• 7 mi / 1:02

I have no idea why, but lately my long runs on Saturday have been run at a much faster pace than my weekday runs. I’m not “trying” for any goal pace for any of my runs, but some reason my legs just want to go faster on Saturdays. All during the week they average 9:10ish and on Saturday it’s 8:50ish. So strange. Further proof I’ve just been letting my legs do their own thing lately and they’re itching to start diving into real training again.

Sunday

REST

How did your workouts go last week?

p.s. CONGRATS to everyone who raced this weekend!!

1 Monica April 28, 2013 at 10:41 am

Awesome workout schedule! You go girl!
Monica recently posted..Letter to my body: I’m sorry

2 Ash Bear April 28, 2013 at 10:49 am

Great job! You had a busy week but isn’t it nice when our body cooperates and just does as it wants!
Ash Bear recently posted..50 West Brewing Company

3 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin April 28, 2013 at 11:05 am

Love the Boston shirt. My workouts went great and I started focusing more on strength, less on cardio. My legs are SORE though and today is definitely a rest day.

4 Sam April 28, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Hi! Great schedule set up!! Do you use google calendar to create it?!

Trying to find something easy I can look at from my phone too!

5 Sarah April 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm

woot! ๐Ÿ˜€ awesome workout schedule! i’m running the flying pig in a week so this week is gonna be light! can’t wait to run the wine and dine half with you! ๐Ÿ˜€
Sarah recently posted..This is it! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Chelsea April 28, 2013 at 2:07 pm

What an awesome week, girl! Those Crossfit workouts look intense, but not as daunting as that Ironman schedule! Can’t wait to hear how the official training goes ๐Ÿ™‚
Chelsea recently posted..Sunday Funday

7 Ali April 28, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Where’s the cycling? ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Amanda April 29, 2013 at 8:14 am

Get on that shiny new bike!

9 Cecilia @ MommiesRun April 28, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I love training plans too! But I’m not really training for anything specific right now so I’m just going with the flow.

10 PeachyLau April 28, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I love how your taking it easy is like 10x more than what I am currently doing.
PeachyLau recently posted..Beauty tip #2 -Clean your makeup brushes

11 meghan April 28, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Nice week Meghann! On the ladder swim, what does “steady state” mean? I’m guessing it’s something a little faster if you’re doing the 50 easy in between.
meghan recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup 4/22-4/28

12 Nina April 28, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Wow! Is this a normal week for you? How much time would you say you devote to working out each week? Certainly I can think of less healthy hobbies but this almost seems like a pt job! Good for you though, I think doing half of that would be a great accomplishment for me ๐Ÿ˜‰

13 Rose April 28, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Your workout schedule is what I aspire for mine to be like one day. Wow!
Rose recently posted..Compression Shirts

14 Logan @ Mountains and Miles April 28, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I love creating training plans!

My runs this past week went well – I had a short tempo run on Tuesday, a soccer game on Wednesday and two easy 5-6 mile runs on Thursday and Friday. Yesterday I ran 26 miles for my birthday – 25 miles for each year in the past and 1 mile for the year to come! It is the farthest I have ever run!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..North Face 50k Training Week 4

15 Michelle @ 3cheaprunners April 28, 2013 at 5:25 pm

…thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ Ran a 10k race this morning…and felt great!
Michelle @ 3cheaprunners recently posted..3 Cheap Runners’ Weekend Wrap

16 Courtney April 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm

No workouts for me this week, just a lot of rest! ๐Ÿ™‚
Courtney recently posted..When Mr. Banana Meets Mrs. Egg

17 Carli April 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Great workout schedule! People who schedule their training typically do better.

The Boston shirt is very cute.

And what a great workout week! You really train hard.
Carli recently posted..Real Into Reads No. 14

18 [email protected] April 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm

There really is something great about a good training plan! My type A personality loves seeing it all organized and just waiting to be done. ๐Ÿ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..All The Things

19 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Great week of training! I’m all about doing whatever my legs are in the mood for on runs too. Sometimes they’re just plain dead and I need to get through the miles and not worry about much more, and other times I’m just energized and feeling great so why not run a little faster. Whatever I’m in the mood for!

20 Zaneta April 28, 2013 at 9:58 pm

GREAT week of working out girl!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep it up! ๐Ÿ™‚
Zaneta recently posted..300!!

21 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 29, 2013 at 5:51 am

Wow your training plan for the ironman is very inspiring!

Workouts last week were pretty good but I’m aiming for a lot better this week now that work isn’t quite so full on busy ๐Ÿ™‚
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday #6

22 beka April 29, 2013 at 8:52 am

Nice week! I am excited about my marathon plan, but from now until end of June – I’m really trying to focus on strength! Running a couple times a week, although this week’s didn’t quite go as planned ๐Ÿ˜‰
beka recently posted..On Not Being Present…

23 Emily N April 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm