Cookie Success

by Meghann on April 25, 2013

This image for Chewy Chocolate Sugar Cookies caught my attention on Pinterest a couple of weeks ago.

Screen shot 2013-04-25 at 9.12.52 PM.png

What I really liked is once you click through to the recipe it isn’t a list of complicated ingredients or instructions, instead it’s a list of ingredients I generally already have on hand and a simple list of instructions. Easy peasy.

I was all set to make the recipe two weekends ago when I realized I was all out of one of those handy ingredients – butter. Fail. I was also out of the motivation to run to the store for more.

I was all set to make the recipe again this weekend when I clicked on the link and the site the recipe was attached to was “under construction.” Fail again. I googled “Chewy Chocolate Sugar Cookies” to see if I could find another recipe to work off of, but the only ones I found had items I didn’t have on hand like cream cheese. Grrr…

At this point I was pretty determined to make those darn cookies. Thankfully the site was up and running on Monday (I printed the recipe just in case) and by Wednesday I actually had a free evening to break out the mixer and get to work.

mixer.jpg

The cookie dough the recipe produced was fudgy, rich, and delicious. I probably could have ate the whole bowl of just the dough and been happy. Yum. Yum. Yum.

20130424_184555.jpg

For once the cookies came out semi looking like the photo. I was impressed! (my cookies NEVER look like the photo!)

cookies.jpg

And I had enough to share!

20130424_192810.jpg

I brought the rest in to work today (LOVE having an office to bring treats to!) and they were a hit! Everyone loved the chocolate twist on the classic sugar cookies (as did I!).

So if you’re looking for a cookie recipe to impress friends, I can’t recommend the Chewy Chocolate Sugar Cookies by Mel’s Kitchen Cafe enough! Definitely a win.

Remember the Best Damn Race I ran in February?

The race first caught my attention last summer when they opened registration with a rolling price structure. The first handful of people who registered paid $1 to race, the next group paid $5, and so on and so on. Despite some registration issues (the system was overloaded) I ended up paying $35 to race (not bad for a half marathon is you ask me!) and I have to agree with the name – it really was the Best Damn Race.

P2020040.JPG

Registration for the 2014 Best Damn Race opens May 1st and I’m happy to see they’re bringing back the rolling price structure.

Screen shot 2013-04-25 at 8.19.26 PM.png

They’ve also promised the system can handle the thousand or so folks trying for that $1 half. πŸ˜‰

To step up their game a little more, they’re offering free digital race photo downloads to everyone who registers in the first 24 hours.

I love a good gimmick and free digital downloads of the professional photos taken on course is the way to this blogger’s heart. Of course 95% of my race photos should probably never see the light of day, I’ll cross my fingers that this race I’ll get that lucky photo that’s actually worth keeping. Maybe.

What’s the best gimmick you’ve seen that encouraged you sign up for a race? A medal? Crazy course? The shirt? Price? Please share!

1 Krystle April 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Those cookies just made it onto my to-do list for this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

2 Becky @ runfundone April 25, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Low price is always the best “gimmick” to get me to a race!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Race Review: Wenatchee Half Marathon 2013

3 Karen :0) April 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Looks delicious! I’ll definitely have to try these! Thanks! :0)
Karen :0) recently posted..Get Out & Volunteer

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 25, 2013 at 10:23 pm

The cookies look CRAZY good!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Thursday Thoughts: Anxiety

5 Steph April 25, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Oh! Potential 2013 TBLB cookie exchange recipe? πŸ™‚
Steph recently posted..Sweet potato black bean chili

6 Erin April 25, 2013 at 10:31 pm

All the races that I’ve done in Australia don’t even offer medals! We’re starting to get the Colour Run and Warrior Dash-type events now, but there really aren’t that many “gimmicky” events on offer here.

Also…chewy cookies are my downfall. Those look amazing.
Erin recently posted..Back in business (and lastminute.com.au!)

7 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles April 25, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Great job on the cookies! I wish they had this race in South Florida. By the time I make the travel arrangements, I would probably break even. πŸ™‚
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..Things that Make Me Happy

8 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 26, 2013 at 1:21 am

I absolutely love looking at race photos, there are always some hilarious ones that really should never be seen in public. I love those cookies, they came out perfect looking!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Let’s chat about weight

9 Mary April 26, 2013 at 3:56 am

I love the idea that the prices start really low and gradually increase as more people enter. I don’t think we have anything similar to that around here but it’s a really good concept. And free race photos! I would love free race photos! It normally costs so much money to buy the professional ones. (Although I’m not very photogenic, but it would give me more options to choose from!)
Mary recently posted..What a morning!

10 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 26, 2013 at 7:03 am

Well done with the cookie success πŸ™‚ they look yum
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Friday Favourites #8

11 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy April 26, 2013 at 7:51 am

Price of course is the biggest thing. I signed up for a race a year in advance just to get the best deal before. I always love looking at the medal, so bonus points if it’s an awesome one!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Catching Up

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 26, 2013 at 8:05 am

Oh gosh I never end up making the things I pin, usually because I don’t want to go buy all the ingredients or because I don’t want to have a big dish all for myself! Haha, dangerous. Those sound good though, I love sugar cookies so I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to chocolate ones!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Liebster Award

13 Gretchen April 26, 2013 at 8:39 am

Ooo, those cookies look and sound so good! Just a note- I think the Kitchenaid attachment that’s really meant for cookie dough is the flat white thing. The wire one is better for lighter things like whipped cream. May be worth playing around with πŸ™‚

14 Amy April 26, 2013 at 8:54 am

I came to say the same thing – paddle all the way!

Cookies look awesome though! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..Lululemon Bang Buster

15 Hope April 26, 2013 at 8:58 am

I LOVED the Best Damn Race! Great course, great energy and great price! And, it produced the only race photo of me that wasn’t absolutely hideous πŸ˜‰

16 Courtney April 26, 2013 at 9:23 am

I’ve never seen a spectacular gimmick to get people to sign up for races, but I don’t race often. Anyway, those cookies… wow. They look quite delicious!
Courtney recently posted..Meditation: It’s Not Only For Hippies and Monks

17 [email protected] April 26, 2013 at 9:31 am

Those cookies look awesome. Add chocolate to anything and Im sold.
[email protected] recently posted..All The Things

18 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

This really does sound like the best damn race ever! Thanks for sharing!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

19 beka @ rebecca roams April 26, 2013 at 9:46 am

I have hope that I can make a perfect looking cookie too! But I don’t have an awesome mixer so I’ll be doing it by hand…. wonder if that hurts/helps?
I can’t wait to get in for BDR! Hopefully I can squeak in under the $1 registration – last year I registered 3 days before (paying full price), but it really was the best damn race! Join me for maybe another PR run ??? haha!
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..On Not Being Present…

20 Christine @ BookishlyB April 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

The only gimmicky sort of race I’ve fallen victim to was one the school I went to, UCLA, put on last year- it was during rivalry week against USC and the school that had the most runners/best times ended up having money donated to charity in their name.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

21 Emily April 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

That’s a really cool concept!!! I love the pricing and free photos, but I agree, my race photo’s are always really sad and I look like I wanna cry lol

I’ll have to try these cookies. They look pretty fool proof, which is for sure a must for me.

Have a good weekend!
Emily recently posted..Good Links and Friday Things

22 Chelsea April 26, 2013 at 11:18 am

Those look to die for! And congrats on getting them to turn out picture style – I’ve yet to be able to do that πŸ™‚

I’ve never seen a race with a rolling price structure b efore – I think that’s awesome! Makes it more affordable in addition to being a non corny publicity draw in!
Chelsea recently posted..Is it worth it?

23 Caitlin April 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Cookies are the greatest food group ever. Pinning this recipe.
I think price is the #1 thing that motivates me- if I can find a really good deal, I’ll go for it.

24 Caitlin April 26, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I was all about these cookies and then just looked at the ingredients- 14 tbsp’s of butter??? No way!!

25 Katie April 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I’ m a sucker for a cool medal! T-shirts are awesome too.

26 Sara @ Fitcupcaker April 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I love finding easy recipes on interest! These look so great. Once I get on there I’m addicted!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Flax Sprouted Whole Grain Bread

27 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I was taken by the night race/glow stick theme for a race once. Ended up dropping $45 on a 5K and it was easily the worst managed race I’ve ever run. I’m now SUPER hesitant to sign up for a race based on gimmick. I’m glad you had a better experience at the Best Damn Race than I had at my 5K!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

28 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Your cookies look delicious! And I love bringing extra baked goods to work — it’s so fun to share!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

29 Carli April 26, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I just started racing so the lower the price the better. This would definitely get me interested.

Happy you were able to get your cookies! I’m sure that the site was down from other people trying to get to the recipe to. They look great!
Carli recently posted..Teaching Pilates All Over Town #FitnessFriday

30 ct cupcake April 26, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I ran a color me rad race and while it was fun, it wasn’t worth the money at all.

sidenote- as an avid baker, I’d suggest using the paddle attachment on your kitchen aid. The whisk attachment is for fluffy things like whipped cream and mixing together dry only ingredients such as flours, baking sodas. Otherwise the whisk may cause a change in texture in addition to wasting batter.
ct cupcake recently posted..Go away

31 Joy April 27, 2013 at 2:30 am

I really like to sign up for races with bling at the end πŸ˜‰ though last night I was thinking my medal rack would probably appreciate I signed up for a few without (I’m thinking they’ll become Christmas tree ornaments this year?)
Joy recently posted..I can’t talk

32 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Mmm…pinned that cookie recipe! A “crazy course” is what makes me sign up for races…I registered for my second Warrior Dash this summer! The Color Run also looks really fun.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..How Chelsea Got Her Groove Back

33 broccolihut April 27, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Those cookies look so tasty! I really need to bust out my mixer more often–it was such a nice wedding gift!
broccolihut recently posted..Homemade Alphabet Soup with Beanballs

34 Emily N April 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm

The free race photos is a GREAT perk. Good luck getting $1 registry!
Emily N recently posted..Glass City Half Marathon: Race Recap