Happy Birthday, Maddie!

by Meghann on April 24, 2013

Happy Birthday, Maddie!

Today my little pups is 4 years old! Can you believe it? I swear it was just yesterday that I was bringing her home for the first time.

CIMG7203.JPG

She sure has grown a lot since then!

IMG_0357.jpg

Her present came a little early this year. I ordered a new custom dog tag from Etsy back in March.

She needed a new tag (the old one was scratched up and still had Orlando info on it), but I was bored with the same ole, same ole dog tag designs you see in almost every pet store. I found the Etsy shop Doggone Tags through a pin on Pinterest and loved the rustic stamped designs. The new tag really pops on her collar and is as unique as Maddie is.

562135_10102916386425073_1888224006_n.jpg

Her name is stamped on front and mine and Derek’s info is on the back. I think she likes it. πŸ™‚

Do you celebrate your pets’ birthdays?

We’re keeping it low key for Maddie this year. She just had a special breakfast and I’m going to make her a special birthday “cake” for dinner tonight. Anyone have any recommendations for a good doggie cake recipe?

1 Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine April 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

We absolutely celebrate our dog’s birthday. They are spoiled – usually with a trip to Petco and Starbucks where they are guaranteed cookies in the drive-thru. Happy Birthday Maddie! Such a cutie!
Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine recently posted..Have you run for Boston?

2 Mary April 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

Happy birthday Maddie!
I absolutely love that picture of her mid-bounce on the grass! It shows how full of energy she is. πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..Km reps

3 Presh April 24, 2013 at 10:07 am

Awwww her new tag is tooo cute!
Happy Birthday!!
If I had a pet, I’d celebrate
especially one that I plan to have “forever” !
Presh recently posted..WIAW: A little bit of this & that.

4 Dori April 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

Happy birthday to Maddie! We don’t know Larry’s birthday so we plan to celebrate every year on the day we got him. We also don’t know exactly how old he is! I don’t have a cake recipe, but I can tell you the ingredients in the Sprinkles cupcakes we buy for Larry: unbleached flour, eggs, honey and vanilla, topped with a yogurt “frosting.”
Dori recently posted..Workout Plan: Week of April 21, 2013 + Neck Injury

5 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige April 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

So adorable!! Happy birthday, Maddie πŸ™‚
We always make Niko a doggie cake!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Clearing a Scatter Brain + The Best Day Planner App

6 Emily April 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

So sweet, I feel like I just read her 3rd birthday post!! Baby Maddie pictures are soooo insanely adorable! πŸ™‚

We’ve only had our pup’s first birthday so far, but we gave him a special breakfast and new toy.
Emily recently posted..Catch Up

7 Michele April 24, 2013 at 10:35 am

Our dogs (we have two from the same litter) birthday is Christmas. So, they end up just getting combined gifts…probably not very fair of us!
Michele recently posted..Nice and Easy

8 Laurie G April 24, 2013 at 10:57 am

She is GORGEOUS! Is she trying to kiss that other dog through the fence??

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

Awww Happy Birthday Maddie!!! I totally celebrate dogs’ birthdays!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Lately

10 Courtney April 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

I adore that little girl!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY FURGIRL!
Courtney recently posted..Goodbye, Atlanta!

11 sara @ fitcupcaker April 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

I always celebrete my dogs birthday! For Christmas my mom always gets them stockings too! They are like humans!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Not What I Planned

12 Emily @ The Swallow Flies April 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

My cats celebrate their birthdays with Fancy Feast, which they LOVE. My little girl just turned NINE, and I cannot believe it — she’s an old grandma kitty!
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Snack Attack

13 Megan April 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

Happy birthday Maddie!

My pup turned 4 this past December and I had my first celebration for her ever. Timing was never right, but this year her and the dog friends got (dog) cookies and the humans got cupcakes and an afternoon at the dog park. πŸ™‚

LOVE her new tag!
Megan recently posted..#BostonStrongATH – Athens, Georgia

14 Becky April 24, 2013 at 11:53 am

I dont think ive seen Maddie puppy pictures before! She was so little, how cute!

15 Emily April 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Happy BD, Maddie! She is so friggen’ cute.

We (okay, I) like to celebrate Duke-a-versary every year. It’s the date we adopted Duke. He was a pound dog, so it’s as close to his birthdate as we can get. I’ll get him a toy or treat, and cook him a special birthday dinner πŸ™‚

16 Margaret April 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm

My lab loves a combo of cottage cheese, or plain yogurt, and ground beef (cooked). Milk bones make the best candles as well πŸ™‚

17 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Happy Birthday, Maddie! I definitely celebrate my pets birthdays. My sweet boy will be two pretty soon!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Tread Lightly!

18 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin April 24, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Maddie looks so much like my dog Twiggy who just celebrated her birthday on Sunday! Happy birthday Maddie!

19 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 24, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Aww, Happy Birthday to Maddie! You don’t look a day over 3 πŸ™‚
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

20 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 24, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Happy birthday to Maddie! I’m the only person in my family who in any way cares about my dog’s birthday. Sad day πŸ™ I actually was home right after his birthday this year, and when I asked my parents if they gave him anything, they were all, “Wait, it was his birthday?” Sighhhhhh. What makes it even sadder is that it was his 13th birthday this year, and to be honest, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if it was his last birthday. He’s a little high strung spitfire, so I’d be pretty shocked if he made it all the way to next March :/
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Bel 50

21 [email protected] April 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm

We celebrate pup Birthdays too. Weirdly my dogs were both born Dec 12th- just 1 year apart. πŸ™‚ Happy Birthday Maddie!!!
[email protected] recently posted..Winner Winner Chicken (Pizza) Dinner

22 Carli April 24, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Happy birthday, Maddie!

We do celebrate Jeffrey’s birthday. I usually have a dinner with family. Yes, we invite other people.
Carli recently posted..Toned & Tiny Arm Workout {#Printable}

23 erica April 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Happy Birthday Maddie!

yes, dog birthdays are equally important in our house! we celebrate with new toys and a cake πŸ™‚
erica recently posted..april date night #1: double dining

24 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 24, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Precious! I have a yellow lab who is 1 1/2 years old, still a puppy for another year until she settles down!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..WIAW- Beach Style!

25 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Happy Birthday, Maddie! I love seeing the transition from puppy to four years old!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Two Nights, Two Dinners

26 Becky @ runfundone April 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Yes! Easy dog cake: Buy a can of dog food. Get a pan with a pretty shape (I use some tiny little tartlette pans that have a pretty scalloped edge). Spray pan with PAM. Fill pan to the top with canned dog food. Flip pan over onto a plate. Decorate with doggie treats. So easy, and as long as Maddie doesn’t usually get canned dog food, she’ll think it’s fab!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Dilettante Giveaway!!!

27 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Aw! Maddie was the cutest little puppy! Happy birthday to her!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Back from Virginia Beach!

28 BroccoliHut April 24, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Oh my goodness, what a cute puppy she was (and is!)!!
Happy birthday to Maddie. I always love reading about her and seeing pictures.
Thanks for the tip on the dog tags–I’ll need to replace Margot’s when I move this summer.
I have been keeping Margot’s birthdays low-key thus far. For her most recent one I just got her some doggie ice cream and bought her a new comfy bed.

29 Mason April 24, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Happy Birthday Maddie! We always absolutely celebrate our pets bdays…they’re our family members after all!

30 Melissa @TryingtoHeal April 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Ah, Happy Birthday Maddie! My kitty Honey turned three this month but I missed her birthday because I was away. Sad times.
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..My New Home in the Redwoods

31 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 25, 2013 at 8:08 am

Your dog is too cute! Happy Birthday Maddie
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..What I ate Wednesday #9

32 Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com April 25, 2013 at 8:35 am

I love that dog tag! I’ll have to head over to that site and get one for my doggie! Her birthday is next month πŸ™‚ We certainly celebrate her Birthday! I like to wrap treats and let her tear the paper off, she loves it! Happy Birthday Maddie πŸ™‚
Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com recently posted..Roaming around Boston Paaaht 2

33 Dawn April 25, 2013 at 8:49 am

She is so darn cute! Happy birthday Maddie! We celebrate our cats’ birthdays with a can of tuna πŸ™‚
Dawn recently posted..Korean β€œSpaghetti” Recipe and Klutchclub LivingSocial Deal

34 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

Happy Birthday, Maddie! Charlie’s 4th birthday is next month– we’re taking him hiking, making burgers for dinner, and his present was a doggie teeth cleaning (not sure he’ll enjoy it though!)

35 meredith April 25, 2013 at 11:23 am

Happy birthday Maddie! – I always celebrated my little Cindy’s birthday (she lived to be almost 16 – toy poodle)…I got her when I was 9 and every year I showed her the same birthday card of all puppies and always got her a cupcake or big black and white cookie that we would share. I still honor her birthday and get myself a treat on July 23rd.
meredith recently posted..Run, Read and Eat Happy

36 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie April 25, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Aww Happy Birthday Maddie! What a beautiful dog. I love that collar you have. When the seller gets back from vacation I’m seriously considering getting one for my two puppies.
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..The Sights and Smells of Omaha

37 melissa April 25, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Baby maddie is so cute! Happy Birthday Maddie!
melissa recently posted..New Themes: Flora and Fauna, TheStyle, and Fanwood Light

38 Logan @ Mountains and Miles April 26, 2013 at 11:09 am

I always celebrate my dog’s birthday. We didn’t get him as a puppy and we only knew he was about one, so we celebrate the day that we got him, instead. He’s turning 4 next Friday!!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..TBT: Grays and Torreys Peaks

39 Karla @ Run, Karla, Run! April 26, 2013 at 4:14 pm

So cute! my dog just turned 4 earlier this month too! Life is so much better with a dog πŸ™‚
Karla @ Run, Karla, Run! recently posted..Disney’s Princess Half Marathon Gets 10K, Glass Slipper Challenge, Pink Coast-to-Coast Medal

40 Missy November 9, 2013 at 11:48 pm

We definitely celebrate birthdays for our pups! We also celebrate the dates we adopted them πŸ™‚ I found a doggy cake recipe online for our last celebration. It had shredded carrots and peanut butter…it was a huge hit!
Missy recently posted..Ender’s Game