more ยป" />

A Bunch of Swim Workouts

by Meghann on April 23, 2013

I had a GREAT swim after work tonight. It was one of those swims where I was considering bailing before hand, but ended up being so glad I went. There was a small group of us tonight (4) and coach focused on longer sets. I’m terrible at doing longer sets on my own, so I appreciated the extra push to do them with the group.

Here’s tonight workout:

Screen shot 2013-04-23 at 8.22.28 PM.png

As I was walking back to my car I saw a tweet from my sister about using a swim workout from my DailyMile account. She claimed having the workout made the time fly and that she should “steal” workouts more often. I 100% agree with her, having a set workout (or someone there giving the workout) makes the time in the pool FLY by. Just going 2400 yds straight is boring, but breaking it up in various sets allows you to concentrate on the swim a little bit at a time and before you know it, it’s over.

My sister also reminded me of a folder I have on my desktop labeled “swim workouts” with all the swim workouts I have from our team training swims last summer. They’re in various posts through the blog, but I figured I would share them all below so my sister could have one dedicated page to steal workouts from.

So here ya go, sis, a bunch of swim workouts: ๐Ÿ˜‰

1900 meter swim workout.png

Screen shot 2012-07-18 at 9.44.35 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-07-20 at 9.48.39 AM.png

2400 Meter Swim Workout.png

swim workout.png

Screen shot 2012-07-27 at 10.44.43 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-08-10 at 9.56.23 AM.png

2100m Swim Workout.png

Screen shot 2012-09-07 at 10.02.50 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-09-28 at 9.40.21 AM.png

Enjoy!

1 Chelsea April 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

This is great, Meghann! I’ve been having some issues with heel pain lately so I’ve taken to the pool, but I’ve never been much of a “work out” swimmer, so I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to do! These are super helpful and I’m excited to give a few of these bad boys a try ๐Ÿ™‚
Chelsea recently posted..A trip down nostalgia lane

2 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise April 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I find doing intervals really helps the time go by because it breaks the workout up into smaller segments. It’s easier to focus on getting through the next half a mile or 2 minutes than it is to focus on getting through 10 miles.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..April StrideBox Review

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 23, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Great compilation of workouts!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

4 Becky @ runfundone April 23, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I’m not sure my swimming is quite advanced enough for complicated workouts, but I suppose I should probably try something new to get a little speedier!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Dilettante Giveaway!!!

5 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles April 23, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I wish I was a strong swimmer – I’ve grown up in Florida all my life but I can only freestyle, if that’s what you can call my style of swimming. I should make it a goal to practice so I can participate in a tri one day. ๐Ÿ™‚
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..Lean In Book Review

6 Presh April 23, 2013 at 11:57 pm

These would be so awesome…. if I knew how to swim.
*drops head in shame*
It’s on my to do list.
Presh recently posted..I’d have her babies + Photo Dump

7 Michelle @ 3cheaprunners April 24, 2013 at 1:05 am

Thanks for sharing the workouts – you have posted them at a perfect time, as this week I am starting back with my triathlon training

8 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 24, 2013 at 1:59 am

I wish I liked to swim! My sister is a college swimmer and I think I picked a new sport when she started beating me (she’s younger!)
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Tuesday Tunes

9 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes April 24, 2013 at 4:48 am

Those are two reasons I love training with a team: first, the workouts our coaches design go by so much faster and prove to be much more effective; swimming TK yards “straight up” can seem daunting, so breaking it up into sets helps a lot. Plus, it makes it easier to focus on specific things during each set like pulling, rotating, etc. And second, doing work with teammates can be more fun and motivating! ๐Ÿ™‚
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Write It Down, Do It Up โ€“ Week of April 21

10 Kelly April 24, 2013 at 5:48 am

Sweet! Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 [email protected] April 24, 2013 at 6:10 am

This is so great, thanks Meghann! Im going on vacation soon where all I’ll really have is access to is a pool (and it will be too hot to run too far!) so I’m going to print these to take with me!! Also planning on taking some body weight circuit print outs for a full body attack while I’m away!
[email protected] recently posted..Healthy Mushroom Risotto

12 Nikki April 24, 2013 at 8:30 am

I’ve been swimming for 17 years and STILL cannot jump into the pool without a workout or else I end up doing next to nothing and getting bored super quickly! That’s great that you have the workouts to turn back to!
Nikki recently posted..WIAW–Typical School Day

13 Sarah @ Yogi in Action April 24, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love swimming but have been really bored of my workouts lately! Thanks for this- I’m printing this out right now for my next swim workout ๐Ÿ™‚
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Beer Tasting

14 Courtney April 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

This post made me miss the pool. Thanks for posting the workouts! ๐Ÿ™‚
Courtney recently posted..WIAW โ€“ Intermittent Fasting

15 meghan April 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

I feel like you read my mind. I’m swimming after work today and was thinking on my way to school today that I needed to find a set online instead of making one up. Thanks!
meghan recently posted..Weekly Workouts 4/15-4/21

16 Ashley April 24, 2013 at 10:12 am

These are so helpful! I’ve been really wanting to start swimming (for exercise) a lot more but I find it so intimidating because I don’t even know where to start.
Ashley recently posted..I FOUND CHOBANI FLIP + the return of two-a-days

17 Sonia the Mexigarian April 24, 2013 at 11:31 am

thanks for the list of swim workouts. i need to hit the pool now ๐Ÿ™‚
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Running just makes sense. . .

18 Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat April 24, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thank you for sharing! I have taken to the pool again for cross training and am going to be doing open water swims this summer so these will be great to implement. I’ve been needing more structure to my workouts!
Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted..Asbury Half Marathon Recap

19 Molly April 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I need to pick up swimming, so good on the ol’ joints! ๐Ÿ˜‰ how did you find a group/coach to train with?
Molly recently posted..Athleta Iron Girl 5k

20 Sara April 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I have been looking for a good swimming work out… thank you for this! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sara ๐Ÿ™‚
Sara recently posted..Activewear- Target

21 Lindsay April 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I did a lot of swimming when I was injured during track season, and having planned workouts not only made the time go by faster, but it prevented me from quitting early. If I went in without a workout, I always cut it short.
Lindsay recently posted..what the h wednesday #5: early riser.

22 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) April 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Yay, swimming workouts! I swam through college, so I love seeing bloggers post about swimming, swimming workouts, etc. The blogosphere needs more swim bloggers. ๐Ÿ™‚
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Lemon Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies

23 Robyn @thereallife_RD April 25, 2013 at 8:32 pm

thank you so much for this! I’m in the midst of training for my first triathlon and totally lost when it comes to swim workouts [i’m a marathoner NOT a swimmer :)]

this came at exactly the right time ๐Ÿ™‚
you’re in inspiration to me- hopefully an ironman is in my future on day!
Robyn @thereallife_RD recently posted..a day in the life

24 Stella May 25, 2013 at 6:50 am

Ooo I love these. Particularly because I love swimming. Definitely going to try these out, thanks.
Stella recently posted..Chest Workouts for Men Advised by Fitness Coaches