Runners for Boston

by Meghann on April 22, 2013

Thousands of runners across the country came together as ONE running community tonight to support BOSTON and its victims.

20130422_181236.jpg

FitNiche hosted Tampa’s run for Boston. “Runners for Boston” shirts were available with 100% of proceeds going to One Fund Boston. I arrived early hoping to buy a shirt to show my support, but they had sold out well before I had arrived. I went ahead and placed an order for one that should arrive next week.

20130422_181158.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Over a hundred local runners came out to show their support (as I’m sure was the case at other Boston Run locations around the country). It was pretty amazing to see so many runners come together for a united cause. Tonight’s run wasn’t about speed or training, it was about reflection, honoring, and healing.

20130422_183104.jpg

We did a 3 mile loop around the surrounding neighborhoods of Hyde Park. The first mile was run in silence and dedicated to the Boston victims and their families. It was emotional to run in silence with everyone, more emotional than I thought it would be. I thought about the events from the last week and just let everything go, leaving all those emotions on the road. I think everyone else was doing the same thing – we were averaging sub-8:00min miles there!

20130422_185102.jpg

It was a beautiful evening for a run. The rain held off, the sun peeked through, and the humidity remained bearable. I ended up finishing the 3 miles around 26 minutes and felt out of breath and flustered as I grabbed my water and caught up with my friends. Everyone had the same red, sweat soaked face – aka the classic “runner’s face.” We lingered longer than normal and enjoyed the extra time together on a random weeknight.

Did you join a Runners for Boston event tonight?

1 Karen :0) April 22, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Glad y’all had a good run…I missed the one hosted by my city because I was out of town. Love all of the support for Boston!
Karen :0) recently posted..Astros and a Movie

2 Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com April 22, 2013 at 10:17 pm

It was great meeting you tonight! FIT Niche put on a great event and there was definitely an awesome turnout!
Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com recently posted..Britt’s Bridal Shower

3 Meghann April 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Great meeting you too!!

4 catie April 22, 2013 at 10:44 pm

we had a preview run for the half marathon i’m running in two weeks on saturday and everyone wore blue and yellow and had a moment of silence for boston before we took off. they also held a one mile run/walk for those not training for the half. AND they have also added the image on your bib up there to the back of the race shirts! there was another run tonight, but we had thunderstorms and hail in the forecast, so i skipped out on this evenings. i love the community that comes with running!
catie recently posted..weekly wrap up

5 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife April 22, 2013 at 11:21 pm

this is awesome. I’m loving seeing everyones posts about running for boston.

6 Val April 22, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Great running into you at the run tonight!!

7 Meghann April 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Great seeing you, too! We need to hang out again soon!

8 Chelsea April 23, 2013 at 12:01 am

I had to work, so I couldn’t make the Kansas Run for Boston, but I did 2.62 miles at the gym today to join in spirit! Glad you guys had such a good, cathartic run – much needed, I’m sure 🙂
Chelsea recently posted..Reality check in 2.62 miles

9 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 23, 2013 at 12:19 am

A mile in silence, that is very powerful.
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..A Little Secret

10 Jane April 23, 2013 at 1:07 am

What an awesome turnout! We had a great group here in SF too!
Jane recently posted..Getting Back in the Swing of Things

11 kayla April 23, 2013 at 6:35 am

i did! we did a “5K Run for Boston” through our local City Sports store. It was so great to see so many show their support on a Saturday morning.

12 Elizabeth @ Positive Change April 23, 2013 at 8:07 am

We did have one as well. We ran around a track, the track was PACKED making it that much more emotional. It was a great evening for it and it made me love the running/walking community even more!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Weekend Catch Up!

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 23, 2013 at 9:00 am

I didn’t attend an organized running event for Boston (there’s a Chicago one set for June I want to do) but I’ve had a few different runs that I’ve done for Boston on my own. It’s important to help however I can, even if it just means sending all of my thoughts and well wishes to those affected.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Tuesday Temptations

14 beka @ rebecca roams April 23, 2013 at 9:07 am

Glad I got to see you tonight 🙂 Should hang out more often! Thanks for my sweat soaked hot mess of a pic
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Bridge First Timer – Double Race Week!

15 Meghann April 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

You’re welcome! You were a little speed demon out there! Go, Beka!

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 23, 2013 at 9:10 am

So great to see so many of these events around the country. Definitely a worthy event!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Tread Lightly!

17 Ashley April 23, 2013 at 9:52 am

I haven’t participated in any of the local runs for Boston (just because my schedule hasn’t allowed me too) but during all my training runs I’ve been thinking about the tragic events. I’m running a half marathon next weekend and I know Boston will be on my mind (and probably everyone else’s as well).
Ashley recently posted..Earth Day = Free Veggie Burgers!

18 Megan April 23, 2013 at 10:53 am

I ran in Athens tonight, as we did an official run too. Blog post coming tomorrow – I’m so excited and so… moved… to read everyone’s posts about their runs. Such a great movement. <3
Megan recently posted..NWM Week | Assessing My Training

19 Axel April 23, 2013 at 12:25 pm

We had #BostonStrongTO (West-End Edition) last night. I’m done writing my recap, but I don’t have my camera here to upload the photos I took, so I can’t post…
Axel recently posted..Why I Joined a DietBet

20 Sara April 23, 2013 at 12:25 pm

<3 Thank you, our city needs the support from lovely people like you. I didnt participate in any events like that, not sure if they had any. I live 2o minutes outside of the city next door neighbors to Watertown. Its been an emotional ride i will tell you that.
Sara recently posted..Weekend Running

21 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 23, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Sounds like a great experience, and a great way to honor those affected by the horrible tragedy.
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Update & Giveaway Winner!

22 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 23, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I did a 5.2 mile run Sunday to finish the marathon for the people stopped at mile 21. There were over 1000 people there and they raised over $13,000 dollars! It was a great event. Truly inspiring.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Runners. Yeah, We’re Different.

23 Carli April 23, 2013 at 3:36 pm

How wonderful! We did not have a local Run for Boston.

What a wonderful turn-out! I
Carli recently posted..Toned & Tiny Arm Workout {#Printable}

24 Amy April 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm
25 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 23, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Running an entire mile surrounding by other runners in complete silence would’ve probably made me quite emotional too. Sounds really powerful. I was up in Boston today for work and still can’t believe what happened.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies

26 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions April 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I think nearly every running store in Chicago had a Runners for Boston event on Monday. I went to one of them and there were definitely at least 100 people at that run, and I know other locations had similar turnouts. My store provided all of us with blue and yellow ribbon, which is now hanging by all my bibs/medals to serve as a reminder to me. It was an amazing event to be a part of!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Bel 50

27 Liz April 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I participated in a 5.2 mile run on Sunday evening (in Tallahassee) and apparently there were over 1,000 of us there! Like your run, it was hot and sweaty, but great to be a part of.
Liz recently posted..Veggie Sausage (Vegetarian, Vegan)