Dropped

by Meghann on April 20, 2013

I almost got dropped from a no-drop ride today.

(The truth is they would have never have actually dropped me, but man did it feel like they were going to.)

I re-joined the Saturday Morning Ladies’ Ride at Outspokin Bicycles this morning. After such a great experience a couple of weeks ago I couldn’t wait to return. They have a 20-mile ride every Saturday morning at 7:30. Last time I went with my friend Megan who averages the same I do on the bike (15-16 mph). The group pretty much stuck with that speed the entire 20 miles and we had a great ride.

DavisIslandRide.jpg

This week there was a new group of girls for the ride. My friend Megan is currently riding 100 miles for MS (so proud of her!) so I was attending solo. Again, everyone was really nice, but there was no real discussion of what pace everyone was comfortable riding before we took off.

I ended up at the back of the pack and knew from the get-go that’s where I would be staying. These ladies were going a lot faster than we were a couple of weeks ago. I knew I was in trouble when I looked at my Garmin on Bayshore and saw a flash of 19.1 mph on it. We were three miles in, my legs were already hurting, and I knew I wasn’t going to keep this pace for all 20 miles. Yep. Trouble.

The gap between the rest of the ladies and I kept stretching further and further apart with each mile. I was happy they were pushing me out of my comfort zone (the only way to get faster is to, well, go faster), but my mind was playing tricks on me. I have this fear of being dropped (which is why it took me so long to join a group ride in the first place and why I found one that was no drop) and all I kept thinking was that I was being dropped and they were leaving me behind. I cycled my little heart out, but I just couldn’t keep up.

Thankfully Outspokin’s other owner, JP, had stayed back with me. He pulled up next to me about 6 miles in and asked if everything was okay. I told him that of course everything was okay – I’m just not a fast cyclist. For some reason my eyes teared up when I said this. I’m a big baby sometimes. I looked at my watch and saw 17.0. I told him THIS is fast for me and I just couldn’t keep up.

JP was great. He told me not to worry about keeping up with them and to just keep my own pace. We were hitting a really windy stretch, so he pulled in front of me so I could catch his draft. He also slowed down to 15 mph and I finally started to feel comfortable riding again. All that built up self pity of not being able to keep up washed away and I began to calm down.

We came to a fork and JP asked if I wanted to go 15 or 20 miles today. I was not giving up that easily. I was going to do all 20.

We made a right and hit a side road where our group had done a mini roundabout to rejoin us. I was so thankful to see them again. They may have dropped me for 5 miles, but at least they came back and I really appreciated that.

The group slowed their pace when I rejoined them, but I was definitely still pushing myself to keep up with them. The wind wasn’t helping either.

One of the girls got a flat that required a mini pit stop.

ba2bbef6a9b811e2a27d22000a9f165c_7.jpg

Not going to lie, I was thankful for the break.

Five minutes later we were on the road again and on our way back to the shop. I fell behind again, but at least the girls stayed in my view this time.

It was definitely a very humbling ride. I’m thankful the ladies pushed me to go faster, but I would be lying if I wasn’t full of self pity for not being able to keep up the whole ride. I would also be lying if I said I wasn’t a little hurt that I was dropped for part of the ride. Thank goodness for JP staying with me. Without him I might have just turned around and gone home. I have a very tough outer shell, but deep inside I’m really sensitive with this stuff.

So will I return to ride with the group again? Yes. But I think I’ll bring a friend.

Have you ever been dropped before?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 20, 2013 at 11:05 am

I get how you feel, I probably would have teared up too!!! I always have a fear of being left behind (usually metaphorically) but I’ve never been athletic so I get nervous about group things because I’m afraid I won’t be good enough.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Saturday Mantra

2 Elise @ Expeditions of Elise April 20, 2013 at 11:09 am

Congrats to you for getting out of your comfort zone! It’s really hard to workout with people you perceive as better than you because you don’t want to slow them down, but in my experience if you are clear at the start about what everyone’s expectations are, you can usually find some common ground: faster for you, slower for them. Anyways, don’t feel down on yourself for trying something new!
Elise @ Expeditions of Elise recently posted..Crossing the Weekend Finish Line

3 MissPinkKate April 20, 2013 at 11:10 am

Don’t let your fear hold you back! Let it push you to stretch yourself as an athlete. You don’t need to rely on a friend, I know you’re strong enough to do it on your own!

4 [email protected] Version of Me April 20, 2013 at 11:13 am

I’m not a cycler but that would so be me! Good that you stuck it out and finished! I am sure each time it will get easier.

5 BriAnna April 20, 2013 at 11:38 am

Way to finish out the ride! I’m not a cyclist, so maybe I just don’t ‘get’ it, but I’m confused about the fear of getting dropped. Is it scary because you’re afraid of getting lost by yourself? It seems like you do rides on your own from time to time, so I’m guessing there’s more to it than the fear of riding alone. I’m curious because intentionally or not, this post feels a bit passive-aggressive towards the other ladies in your group.

6 Meghann April 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm

This was not intentionally passive aggressive towards the group. They were just enjoying the ride and I clearly have my own issues when it comes to riding with other cyclists. I guess I just know that I’m slow and that makes me extra sensitive to being left behind. I was also not familiar with the route (it was slightly different than last time) so though I would have been able to find my way home, I wouldn’t have known the extra side streets needed to hit 20 miles.

7 megan April 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Getting dropped sucks! It’s definitely not passive agressive, its just super humbling and often frustrating! And the fear of getting dropped is hard to get over! I am a cyclist (or at least I try) and I’m trying to get faster. So I’ve been racing with fast girls. And I ride with my fiance (who is an amateur elite racer). And I get dropped. More that I like to admit. And I do turn down going on rides with a bunch of guys because I don’t want them to just drop me from the get go. So seriously, good for you for getting out there! Riding faster is the only way to get faster. And just realize that EVERYONE who rides has been there…AND has been there more than once, because every time to get faster in cycling you upgrade to a new category and then you get dropped ALL OVER AGAIN!

8 Molly April 20, 2013 at 11:44 am

Girlfriend bring me, you’ll feel like a rock star haha. I’ve never done a group ride (props to you!!) but have a gut feeling I would be a back-of-the-packer. Nothing wrong with that so awesome job with staying with it and doing the whole 20 mile ride!! This morning felt nice out for my typical weekend morning run, but I know tampa is about to get HOT so I may just have to pick up cycling instead for the summer πŸ™‚
Molly recently posted..Athleta Iron Girl 5k

9 [email protected] April 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

I did Karate for 7 years, 5 days a week, I loved it, but I was never good at it. Simply, I was too skiny and my natural sense of balance, coordination and reflexes was always very bad. Needles to say I was not only left behind, but also kicked many times. I was 13 when I started and I am sure that my confidence was disturbed many times. While it’s ok to push yourself out of the comfort zone, now I think that feeling uncomfortable all the time was very unpleasant for me. Once I started running,it felt way more natural, was giving me pleasure and I could see some improvement after a hard work (and not a broken nose)
[email protected] recently posted..How do I learn German

10 Michelle @A Healthy Mrs April 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Way to push through & not give up! That in itself is a huge accomplishment when you’re out of your comfort zone — great job!
Michelle @A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

11 Caitlin April 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I totally would have teared up and would’ve been very frustrated. You’re right that the only way to get faster is to ride/swim/run with others who are faster, but at the same time there should always be a no drop rule on rides like this. I do a lot of group runs that are exactly that, group runs, and if someone’s having a crappy morning we stick with them because you know what? Tomorrow you could have a crappy run and you don’t want to be left.
Awesome read Meaghann!

12 Brandy April 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm

You are awesome! Fight back those tears and tell yourself that every second. Be proud of where you are, b/c you are out there, and you are trying. You can do this even without a friend, slowly yr pace will get faster and faster. I believe in you. Make sure you never stop believing in you!

13 [email protected] April 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I have never considered doing a group ride and now I might not! I am not at all a strong rider and really just ride for fun. Right now, my tire is having trouble. I am taking a basic maintenance course next and hope I can find out what is wrong with it.
The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Long Run Saturday

14 Erin @ Loop Looks April 20, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Something very similar happened to me on one of my first group runs. The first time I ran with the group they must have been taking it easy. The second time? I got dropped super fast and had no idea of the route! But I didn’t give up and I kept going back and now some of those same people are my good friends.
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..April Showers Bring Drowned Flowers

15 kelly April 20, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I’m not saying this to be mean I’m really not but next time you want to have a pity party think about people in the world that have actual real problems….that’s what I do and it always helps

16 jameil April 20, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Boooo. We all have different problems. Acknowledging how she felt on that ride doesn’t mean she doesn’t care about other people in the world with bigger problems. You might not have “meant” to be mean, but it was rude.
jameil recently posted..Pregnant? Questions!

17 Sarah April 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Just because her problem isn’t something absolutely crazy doesn’t make it any less real or any less painful. You can’t belittle your pain because of other problems in this world. It’s important to acknowledge what bothers you and realize that they are completely valid and it’s okay to feel that way.
Sarah recently posted..Never say no to pancakes.

18 Mia April 20, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Very well said Sarah. I think it is important for us to remember that everyone struggles at different levels. This reminds me of a quote I saw really that really resonated: “Saying someone can’t be sad because someone else may have it worse is like saying someone can’t be happy because someone else may have it better.”

19 Mia April 20, 2013 at 11:30 pm

*quote I saw recently, sorry!

20 Alyssa April 21, 2013 at 9:12 am

I totally agree with this and think it helps quite a bit. I was getting really upset Friday morning because of stupid work stuff and then I thought about what people in Boston were going through, and I immediately realized how grateful I was that my laptop not working was my biggest problem right then. I don’t see how this would be mean?
Alyssa recently posted..Racing to work

21 Libbi April 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I have the same issues! I always crack when it’s most embarassing and as much as I want to push myself, I can’t keep up with most people (and this particularly applies to crossfit – after nearly 2 years, I still don’t have pullups and push ups destroy me). Now I’m trying to train for a 1/2 marathon and I’m terrified to join a group because I’m so damn slow. I feel you.

22 jameil April 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I’ve been there on runs. And I’ve been the one telling the person at the back not to worry about being the last person. It is definitely humbling when you’re used to being one of the fastest or at least being able to keep up but it speaks to your character that you didn’t give up at 15 when you set out to do 20. Great post!
jameil recently posted..Pregnant? Questions!

23 Carli April 20, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I don’t bike but I understand how you feel. I have a hard time joining groups because I’m afraid I can’t keep up.
Carli recently posted..Real Into Reads No. 13

24 Olivia April 20, 2013 at 2:27 pm

You are SO real!!! I love it, appreciate it & proud to be a reader of urs because of it.
No sugar coating. We’re not perfect.
You’re a rockstar! & shouldn’t let this get to u at all. I’m sure u can run faster and further than some of those girls lol Don’t quit! Go back next saturday with rested legs and improve =)

I rarely comment but really feel so thankful for ur honesty. <3

Olivia

25 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) April 20, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Yikes…. I really really hate that feeling of being dropped. It happens to me with run groups and a few times on bike rides as well. One instance that stands out for me was when my partner convinced me to come out to one of his Saturday morning group runs. He’s a lot faster than me, and I knew his group was too, but he convinced me that it was a mixed group with lots of different people who ran at different (and slower) paces. It was cold that day, so everyone who came out was much, MUCH faster than me. I spent the entire time running way faster than my “comfort zone” and they still dropped me within the first few kms. My partner felt awful, so he “sacrificed” his run and stayed with me the whole time, but I still felt really slow and embarrassed about it. I knew I physically couldn’t have kept up even if I had tried, but I didn’t really like having that reality smack me in the face. Really proud of you for sticking through the whole 20 miles anyway.
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..As a Spectator

26 Jena April 20, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I’m impressed you kept going. I probably would have gotten discouraged and quit. Good for you for pushing through it.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to improve your speed for your IM? I know it’s important to log time out on the roads, but you might want to try a few spin classes if you have time. You can have that group element and push yourself hard without worrying about falling behind. Remember that with running, you have the confidence in your ability to know when you can push through discomfort, but that’s only because you’ve practiced it!

27 Michele April 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm

This is exactly why I have never really tried running with a group! How awesome that you kept at it and didn’t let your emotions take over. (I totally would have…) You should feel very good about what you accomplished today and definitely go back again. Nice job, Meghann!
Michele recently posted..A(nother) Break

28 Amanda April 20, 2013 at 3:06 pm

The ONLY way you’re going to get stronger on the bike physically, as well as MENTALLY, is if you keep up with this sort of riding. Face it, you’re gonna get dropped until you get faster. It happened to me for the loooongest time when I tried to move up to the “A” group in my area. Then I got stronger (after several evenings of riding back to the start by myself), and eventually I was finishing the whole ride and even giving the final sprint a go. Don’t get hurt. Get tough.

If you’d rather stay at your slow pace during training, then barely make it through the bike leg for the Ironman and stop a million times just to get through it, then that’s your choice, but I really think you should keep up with this group.

All the best.

29 cely April 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

Thank you so much for this comment.
I had a very bad group run this week end and around the middle of the run I got left behind. I was so discouraged because until then I was able to keep up relly good with the group. But then this part of the route was slightly uphill and the wind was really bad… After my run I felt like the worst runner ever and questionned either if I should go back to run with them or do the tree last long runs before my marathon alone. But you’re right. I will only improve and get stronger if I push myself out of my confort zone and the best way to do so is to run with faster runners. And I’m gonna get drop until I get faster. So I should just suck it up. And focus on improving. Because this is the best way to improve even if this is hard on my ego.

30 Chelsea April 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm

That sounds completely horrible, if I’m being completely honest :/ this is basically exactly what I’m afraid of happening if I join a running group. Even if they adjust to my speed or come back for me, something about the fact that they had to do that to begin with…no answers. Just sympathy!
Chelsea recently posted..The most wonderful day of the year

31 Mary April 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I really feel for you…I was in a similar situation on Thursday night at my running club. Lots of people had dropped down from a higher group whilst they were tapering for their marathons and I couldn’t keep up with their 8:20 pace for 7 miles. My 5k pace is 8:39mm! I really wanted to cry too, but held it together and just pushed myself as hard as I could…one of the guys dropped back to run with me at my pace and made silly jokes to perk me up a bit.
Well done for sticking with it because you definitely have to be strong minded to not give up in a situation like this! Taking a friend will definitely make it more fun when you go back though. Hope you have a better experience next time. πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..Parkrun #4: Northampton

32 katie April 20, 2013 at 3:49 pm

learn to speak up. people can’t read your mind in order to understand what your expectations of something may be. next time discuss the pace beforehand and explain that you are a slower rider who wants to improve on speed. this was a good lesson for you- it’s not always going to come easy.

33 Gianna April 20, 2013 at 4:06 pm

That is my biggest fear and why it took me about a year to finally join a group run (and loved it!) last week. It is definitely two fold – like you said you have to GO faster to get faster…but it can be really lonely and hard on yourself if you just can’t keep up (and getting emotional…I can get that).
Congrats on making it through!
Gianna recently posted..My Week + #BostonStrongNYC

34 Rachel Wilkerson April 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I HATE that feeling of being last and feeling so pathetic. Glad you had a buddy looking out for you, but those kinds of group situations definitely suck.

35 Camile April 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm

This is what has always scared me off when it comes to joining a group for running. I can’t run for long distances due to injuries, so I’m much more of a walk/run type of person. I’ve found that for most other people, that means they run more than they walk, but the opposite is true for me. It’s sad, but the only company I’ve ever been able to have is my iPod. Even my mom, who does the same walk/run method as me, is a bad partner because she’s 5’8 and I’m 5’3. Our strides are so different!

I give you a TON of credit for sticking it out an finishing your 20 miles at your pace. It doesn’t matter how fast you do something. It’s also important to remember that many of these girls have probably been riding a long time. Hang in there!

36 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I get teary with that kind of stuff too, but it’s in those moments we have to remember the only person we’re racing or competing against is ourselves. And see this as a learning experience, maybe next time YOU can bring up the pace to make sure you’re comfortable with the pace.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Today I Breathe

37 Caroline Calcote April 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I have not had that great of an experience with so-called “no drop” rides. It’s “no drop” unless you can’t keep up, haha. I once did a group ride that was a breast cancer benefit ride and was advertised as “no drop”. Most everyone had road bikes, but one girl showed up with a beach cruiser. Her bike was all blinged out with pink streamers and a memorial sign for someone she had lost to breast cancer. I was really annoyed that the group paid no attention to her in the back as the gap grew larger and larger between them and her. I sort of stuck in the middle between them and her, trying to stay within sight of both. The group ride leader seemed annoyed at the girl with the beach cruiser. I really couldn’t believe the attitude given that this was obviously important to the beach cruiser girl and that it was a benefit ride touted as “no drop”. So yeah. I don’t blame you. JP is awesome, by the way. Such a nice guy πŸ™‚
Caroline Calcote recently posted..Iron Girl Clearwater 5K 2013 and other stuff

38 Grace April 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I’ve been dropped… from a group trail run that I’d organised myself. (None of the gentler-paced people I invited responded.) NOT my finest moment. To be fair we hadn’t discussed drop/ no-drop policy and they all took off running!
Grace recently posted..tri-age

39 Kristin April 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Congrats to hanging in there! I would have had a total mental break down and just turned around.

I don’t think I could ever be a part of a group, whether it’s work, volunteer or exercise related and ever leave someone behind who is clearly trying, that’s just not nice. Was the group you were riding with super competitive with each other or at an elite level? I would rather find a different group of people to be with than for that to happen again πŸ™‚
Kristin recently posted..Part 2 of our Seattle Trip

40 Melissa @TryingtoHeal April 20, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I get left behind on runs all the time, but i’ve gotten to the point where i don’t care anymore. I’m going to go my own pace and not kill myself! but you did a great job megs!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..A Surprise for Whit

41 Molly @ RDexposed April 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Good for you to admit feeling this way! And you’re right, it’s exactly how you will get faster and mentally stronger.
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..Lake Laps

42 Lucy April 20, 2013 at 7:52 pm

The same thing happened to me when I accidentally went on a 16 mile advanced hike in the Alps (slight translation error on my part) I was literally the last person the entire time and very few people in the group spoke English (including the leader!) My quads have never burned like that in my life; I was convinced they were going to need a helicopter to get me out. Luckily some really nice older gentleman stayed with me during the really tough uphills. I don’t think I let him know how much I appreciated it because I was embarrassed which I regret. So go tell JP how glad you were to have him!

This is such a great post. At any level there will always be people better than you and I really love your honesty. Good for you for swallowing those tears and not giving up!

43 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise April 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Aw, that’s such a bummer that they weren’t paying attention to where you were, but very nice of the shop owner to stick with you. I’m glad you got in a good workout, but it’s unfortunate that you had to deal with that situation. I hope your day gets better. πŸ™‚
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Running Blogger Survey

44 Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Struggling to keep up with a group can be very frustrating – I’ve been there. The hard thing is that the only way to improve is to ride with faster people, continue to struggle, and eventually make the improvements. Keep showing up to group rides, you’ll be leading the pace line in no time!
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cocova January Sample Day

45 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Getting left behind was my biggest fear when I started doing group runs. Luckily our group was sooo supportive and never left anyone behind. Good job sticking with it!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Go buy this ice cream right now.

46 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 20, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I am so competitive I would have felt like I needed to keep up. I took an army physical training class in college “for fun” with a friend and we were constantly trying to keep up with guys faster/stronger than us. It was definitely a good push outside of our comfort zones!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..24 X 24

47 Sarah April 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Meghann, I totally get it. I felt that way with swimming when I started. I felt so terrible because I was with people who were incredible swimmers and I was just starting out and couldn’t even make it a lap without stopping. I also felt that way when I started biking with my tri team. They were insanely fast and 15 mph felt so fast. I wasn’t used to changing gears or anything. I cried a lot during the first bike ride with them last year because I was left behind and alone during the entire bike ride. The most important thing that I realized was that it’s okay to not be the fastest and it’s okay to go your own pace. You’re not any less of a person or an athlete because of that. Sending lots of love and I hope that none of the mean messages on here get to you. People can be so rude sometimes. :/
Sarah recently posted..Never say no to pancakes.

48 Ja @Ja on the RUN April 20, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Yes, i’ve experience being left behind when i went with group of people to go trail running. Good thing that they were stopping to wait for me. They pushed me to run faster too.
So glad you didn’t give up and made it through. πŸ™‚

49 Chrstopher M April 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Don’t worry, I am slow on the bike and have made little improvement over the months. Going 20 miles has become easier, but I’m stuck at 15-16 mph.

50 Heidi Nicole April 21, 2013 at 12:13 am

I’ve never ridden with a group other than just a bunch of friends getting together for a random ride but I have done a lot of group running. I’m not sure if the mentality is completely different, but getting “dropped” from a group while running isn’t a big deal. People have off days, people have tired legs, people are on taper weeks…whatever, everyone has their own thing. So being the slow one, for whatever reason, isn’t a huge deal at all. I’ve been that person and have never felt anything but encouraged by others. So I’m curious as to if there is a big difference between the atmosphere of a group run/group ride.

Also, not to be snarky – just pointing this out, the post makes group rides sound incredibly intimidating to newbies! You even have comments from people saying they may not try group rides because of this post…that makes me sad. Group runs scared me at first and it took me a while to join but they’ve made a world of difference in my running and overall new city happiness!
Heidi Nicole recently posted..#BostonStrong Denver

51 Emily April 21, 2013 at 1:12 am

My husband is an ex-pro, and when I rode with him on his “easy” days, I would get dropped just riding out of town, and he would have to push me up every single hill. And my hill I mean slight incline. But the only way to get faster is to get your butt handed to you over and over. At least, that’s what he tells me πŸ˜‰

But I’ve cried when I’ve gotten dropped by groups. It’s never easy for the ego.
Emily recently posted..The One About an Awesome Day of Eats

52 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 21, 2013 at 5:19 am

I can totally understand this. I’ve not done it riding before but in a running group I’ve attended and it is no fun. So good of JP to hang back with you but great motivation for you too.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..A bunch of thoughts

53 Laura April 21, 2013 at 8:09 am

I totally feel for you! I am outside my athletic comfort zone right now because I just joined my fiance’s ultimate frisbee league — my first team sport ever! I never know what is going on on the field (I’m learning the rules and the strategy, but slooowly) and I sometimes feel kind of stupid for not knowing and having people yell things like “Go the other way!” on the sideline. But the important part is that we’re stretching our limits, right?

54 Alyssa April 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I’m a slower cyclist and I trained with a triathlon club for my HIM last year. I got dropped once on a SUPER hilly course, and dropped my chain and cut myself fixing it and ended the ride with blood and grease all over my face and everyone was like “ummmm….”. I always went in knowing I would be slower, some things that helped were asking about the route ahead of time so I wouldn’t have to worry about being slow, I could just do my own thing. Sometimes they even had route sheets, esp if I let them know ahead of time. I also did one ride where the route was 4 mile loops, so everyone could do their own thing but could still check in with each other. I also always ask about the pace at the beginning! That way I know if I’m in over my head.
Alyssa recently posted..Racing to work

55 [email protected] April 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

I still have a long way to go fitness wise so I am always “back of the pack” and lots of times the last finisher. I used to get REALLY self conscious about it (for me it was due to my current size and wondering if thats all people were focusing on). But then I started thinking- everyone starts somewhere. I still prefer solo workouts though. Me vs me. πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..Meeting Our Meat: Making the Switch

56 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I probably would’ve cried too! When I go for runs with my husband I get really self-conscious because he’s faster than I am. I always feel like I’m slowing him down, and I feel the need to apologize (he tells me I’m silly, he’ll go at my pace with no complaints). I’m a stubborn, competitive person, so it’s upsetting. If I were with strangers, it’d be even worse!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

57 bridget April 21, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I joined a running group when training for my marathon a year ago and am still there today! This group breaks into several different paces, and when I first joined I was in the 11 minute mile group…slow…but we were covering many miles! Over time I got faster and faster and made the “jump” to the next group up 8-9 minute miles. The first time I joined them, I went to the bathroom, came out, and they were gone! I’ll never forget that feeling and know what you mean. Here is a silver lining though…I stuck with it, and got faster and faster, and now can hang with them no problem (although I avoid any bathroom breaks! haha!) stick with it, I promise, they will make you aLOT faster.

58 Rhi @ Hummingbird's Song April 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Well done for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and completing the whole distance, especially in a new group!
Rhi @ Hummingbird’s Song recently posted..Post Race Blues.

59 Karen April 21, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Good for you!! If the group is a NO DROP group… it should be NO DROP. Sorry… but that’s important. We have a no one is left behind policy on our group runs… and NO ONE gets LEFT BEHIND. If we have go back to get them after an interval we do… It never hurts anyone to run/bike a little bit slower to work with the group. We always ask at the start if anyone is new or what their speed is. You were awesome Meghann… Good for you!
Karen recently posted..WE ARE UNSTOPPABLE!

60 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 21, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I feel your pain. I am a very slow cyclist, and I’m always at the back of the pack.

61 Samantha April 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I have the exact same fear when it comes to running, which is one of the reasons I don’t join a run group more often (my schedule being the other reason). I’m not a fast runner, and being in NYC around so many speedy runners, I’m so self-conscious. I’ve been dropped at 2 runs before, and it’s just not a good feeling, so now I’m kind of scared to join again because I don’t want to feel bad every time I go out for a run.
Samantha recently posted..Pray for Boston

62 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed April 21, 2013 at 10:09 pm

This is exactly why I was so nervous before my first group run. Thankfully my pace was compatible! That would’ve made me upset too.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..April Whole30: Week 4 Meal Plan

63 Becky @ runfundone April 22, 2013 at 8:52 am

I am a terrible cycler, so I would be very far behind if I tried a group ride. It sounds like it all worked out for you!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Strong Girl: Wenatchee Half Marathon 2013

64 Maria April 22, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I think that it was a great lesson for you to learn by getting dropped. A few things, 1) you know you can overcome it and 2) you know that group is faster than you and your goal will be to keep up with them.

I have been dropped a couple of times and unfortunately they were both in places that I wasn’t very familiar with. But, both groups were nice enough to slow down enough so that I could catch their draft or keep them in my line of sight. It does suck and it does hurt a little. But, don’t get discouraged. Keep at it and it will get better and you will get faster.

65 Dana P April 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I don’t cycle, but I run… and if I ever got dropped from a “no drop” group, I’m sure I’d be pretty unhappy. It wouldn’t have been an issue if the expectation had been established from the start to verify the drop/no drop status, pace, and distance… but unfortunately that didn’t happen.

But good for you, for sticking it out for the whole 20 miles!
Dana P recently posted..Making moves.

66 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep May 6, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Great post, Meghann. It’s reassuring to me to know that someone like you who I consider to be a great athlete also struggles sometimes. Not that you were struggling because that’s your pace, and you were doing your best. But I can relate to the emotions you felt. This is a big reason why I don’t like to run with other people. I usually decline offers for running buddies. I’d feel bad if I held them back.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..I Moved Home