Dog Treats

by Meghann on April 11, 2013

Maddie had a busy week last week. Between her many belly rubs, long runs with mom, and hours of sleeping on the couch (have I mentioned I have one spoiled dog?), she had three emails asking if she wanted to sample some new dog treats and toys. Of course, I took on the role of her “mommy manager” and asked her point blankly if she was in fact interested in sampling new products for the blog.

Her first reaction? No pictures please. I won’t work for anything less than four bags of treats

Drama queen.

Luckily Dynamo Dog Functional Treats does in fact come in four different varieties and they sent her a bag of each to try.

Talk about Maddie heaven.

I love her little tongue. 🙂

From the website:

“Dogs, like people, benefit from daily vitamins too. That’s why we developed Dynamo Dog™ Functional treats Hip & Joint formula. Now there is a fun and delicious way to help support your dog’s specific needs. With all the running and jumping dogs do in a day, they could use the added glucosamine and chondroitin, plus specially selected fruits, vegetables, and herbs to keep them feeling their best. Dynamo Dog™ Functional Treats are grain free, gluten free, and are always made in the USA with the freshest ingredients.”

I should probably preface their review by stating that Maddie is a very picky treat eater. She’s not really a fan of milkbones or other cardboard-esque dog treats. I always feel bad when we’re out and about and different locations (pet stores, the banks, drive thrus… you’d be surprised how many places give random dog treats) try to give her a dog treat. She usually turns her nose at them and walks away. I can only buy soft dog treats for her and if the treats are longer than an inch, I have to break them up in smaller pieces (again, SPOILED dog!). She’s also one of those dogs that will take a treat and “save it” for later. She’ll bring it to her bed and leave it there for a special occasion. I’m not sure where she got her will power, but it wasn’t from me.

Luckily the Dynamo Dog Functional Treats had a lot of things going for them from Maddie’s point of view.

For starters. they’re a soft dog treat that are short and fat for easy Maddie consumption.

They also come in her favorite flavors – chicken and bacon & cheese. My girl does love her chicken and bacon.

From a mommy standpoint, I like that they promote healthy hip and joints (VERY important for my constantly-jumping Jack Russell Terrier).

I also like the not-so-scary ingredient list. First ingredient? chicken! Not chicken meal, not chicken parts – just chicken. (p.s. this is the back of a chicken flavored bag of treats, not the bacon and cheese 😉 ).

So what does Maddie think (because that’s really what matters in the end – if she actually ate them or not)…

She loves them! There’s no “saving” these treats for later. When she’s handed one, she pounces on it.

I can haz more?

Is your dog a picky treat eater?

1 Jordan Henkenius April 11, 2013 at 10:36 am

I’m just discovering your blog and love the first post I saw about your dog! I have a Jack Russell Terrier, too, and most people think I’m crazy for loving her so much! She is so spunky and energetic and I love it! She’s definitely not for everyone, but it’s awesome to read about someone else who shares a love for their Jack Russell! 🙂

2 Amanda April 11, 2013 at 10:52 am

It’s kind of funny because at home, my dogs are NOT picky at all. But away from home, my one dog Faith will refuse almost every treat offered to her. We had to take her to rehab earlier this year after knee surgery and the first session was almost a disaster. The vets use treats (or toys) to encourage the rehab activities and she wouldn’t eat any of them! Luckily, we eventually found one she liked.

3 Em April 11, 2013 at 10:57 am

My hounds are not picky AT ALL.

4 Emily April 11, 2013 at 11:14 am

Our dog was pretty picky as a puppy, but now all of a sudden he eats super quick and begs for food all the time! Although, if someone drops “people food”, he will turn his nose away to mushrooms, but everything else he’ll eat in seconds.

He also hides food constantly for later. Drives me crazy!
Emily recently posted..Just Positive

5 Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine April 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

Maddie is so cute…. Blue and Ozzie are not picky – they will eat ANYTHING. We spoil them like crazy with treats. I bet they would love these because they prefer smaller treats. And in our house? Nothing is saved for later. 🙂
Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine recently posted..I run because…

6 beka @ rebecca roams April 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

She’s such a doll. My mom’s dogs are NOT picky. They would eat flavored dirt. But Claire (my cat) is a picky treat eater. She likes fish flavors – no turkey and she loves the treats that are soft.
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Workout Rut + Things That Rhyme

7 Sonia the Mexigarian April 11, 2013 at 11:40 am

Lando isn’t too picky but he has his moments. I try to give him all natural dog treats like Blue Buffalo and the like and then his grandma gives him milkbones. haha. ah well. balancing out the healthy with the bad. Grandmas dogs though, oiye, they have stomach issues so it’s important to know what to give them. Even though Addie loooooooooves cheese and this basset will climb you just to get a piece of it.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..WIAW Race Week

8 Steph April 11, 2013 at 11:41 am

My schnauzer Claire used to eat anything, but in her old age, she’s super picky. She prefers soft, smaller treats too, so I may have to give these a shot. Do you know if you can buy them locally?
Steph recently posted..The first year

9 Kelly April 11, 2013 at 11:47 am

Olive is the same way about treats! She will pretty much only eat soft treats, and they have to be small and smelly otherwise she really doesn’t care.
Kelly recently posted..Restaurant Review: Marigold Kitchen

10 Kelsey April 11, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Awesome! My Monster loves all treats, any size, any flavor. Apparently Maddie has more standards 🙂 Spoiled pups!

11 Stephanie April 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm

So funny! We don’t have an issue with size, but quality is apparently an issue. Unless he (large collie) is wicked hungry, I have to use seriously high class treats for training. Most consistently accepted: wild catch salmon bites. Ingredients: salmon. And the bites are better than the jerky, which is sometimes rejected. I’m glad I found them, though, because otherwise I was going to be reduced to carrying around bits of egg.

Seriously, eh? My roommate’s dog will eat anything, including non-food objects, and consider a treat.
Stephanie recently posted..A bit of this, a bit of that…

12 Chatelaine April 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Our Kaya is a picky eater to a point. She LOVES the Cloud Star brand Buddy Biscuits and I have to keep those on hand at all times for her. Since she’s 65lbs we’re the opposite when it comes to treat size and the bigger the better. A buddy biscuit is a good treat, those little nibs would have her back begging for more!

13 Sarah April 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Cute! I have a JRT too. She is more shy about eating treats in public, but she’ll eat almost anything at home.

She loves plain dried sweet potatos and freeze-dried chicken liver treats (except they’re really rich and give her the runs so we won’t get another bag of those).

14 Ashley Y April 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Our dogs will eat anything for the most part, but one goes absolutely insane for the Pet Greens treats. He has climbed on things to try to pull them down to attack the whole bag. He will also pretty much do anything to get one of these treats.

15 Jenna April 11, 2013 at 1:30 pm

First of all, love your blog Meghann! Definitely a daily read for me and my little pup, Roosevelt! He happens to not be picky at all and strangely loves fruits and veggies haha! I’m always looking for healthy treats for him, especially because his Grandpuppy Grandparents love to spoil him 🙂 I’ll be looking for these!

16 Emily @ The Swallow Flies April 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I don’t have a dog (yet), but I have two cats who both hate treats. One of them, however, LOVES lettuce and will shove her entire face in a salad (that I may or may not be preparing for company), and one of them steals cheese whenever possible. Weirdos.
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..A Day of Eats

17 Chelsea April 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Maddie is so darn adorable! That little puppy face is lifting my spirits fit sure! My cocker spaniel Penny is a picky eater, period – food and treats :/ but then again, she’s small, so it doesn’t take much
Chelsea recently posted..Its been a Tina Fey morning

18 Erica April 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Frank is trying them soon too! I can’t wait!
Erica recently posted..New Favorite Recipes & Happenings

19 Lisa April 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm

My dachshund, Mickey does not like anything organic or “healthy.” 🙁

20 Sarah April 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Gilligan, my labradoodle, will only eat his treats on the rug. Silly doggie!
Sarah recently posted..Munchkin Meals: Feeding Our One Year Old Baby Boy

21 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Maddie is so cute!! I like that these treats are grain free too. My dogs has a very sensitive stomach and I have to buy everything grain free for her.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Black Bean & Quinoa Tostadas with Mango Salsa

22 Emily April 11, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Duke is not at all picky. Which is awesome – I never have to clean under the high chair.

These treats look great, and I am a fan of the ingredients! It seems to be a nice supplementation to the high chair “fallout”.
Emily recently posted..The One Where I Embrace Al Fresco Dining and Tweet Chat

23 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Your dog is too cute! We can’t have pets in our apartment but your dog reminds me of my parents dog. 🙂
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Confessions #2

24 erica April 11, 2013 at 5:19 pm

my dog is the exact same way! he only likes soft treats, and will turn his nose at any hard, biscuit type treats! so picky!
good to know he’s not the only one!
erica recently posted..the world does not stop because you’re sick

25 Theodora April 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Bailey is also picky and only eats soft treats. Which makes it awkward when someone very nicely offers him a non-soft treat and I either say “no thank you” or he takes it…and then doesn’t eat it.
Theodora recently posted..That Time I Got Full Wheel Pose

26 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm

My dog is so not picky when it comes to treats! I’m pretty sure I could give her a clump of dirt & call it a treat and she’d happily do a trick to get it! 🙂
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Update

27 BroccoliHut April 11, 2013 at 8:40 pm

YAY! A Maddie post!!
I know exactly how you feel when your dog doesn’t like the treats offered to her. It’s so embarrassing when the vet or even the UPS man gives Margot a treat, and she literally spits it out!
I bet Margot would like these treats too–thanks for the review!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Ellie’s Little Black Collection—and a Special Offer!

28 Cecilia @MommiesRun April 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm

My Jack Russell is super picky. She is such a diva and old and set in her ways. I love that little turd! My border collie will pretty much eat anything and our new golden retriever puppy seems like she’ll fall in that category as well!
Cecilia @MommiesRun recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #14

29 Becky @ runfundone April 11, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Ada the Dog is NOT picky about treats…mostly because she’s deprived of them. (I rarely give her treats). We once went to a doggie bday party, with a doggie treat pinata…all the other dogs ate a few and walked away, and Ada the Dog was going crazy, as eating as much as she could…because treats were the norm for the other dogs, and so very novel for sweet Ada!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Muesli/Healthy Granola Recipe

30 Molly @ RDexposed April 12, 2013 at 7:56 am

I think the term that you are looking for is “momager.” It’s about the only thing Kris Jenner has taught the world.
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..Learning Compassion

31 Melanie Hrdlicka April 12, 2013 at 11:33 am

She’s so cute!!!

When I was a kid our Siberien Husky, Tasha, would bury her milkbones in the backyard and then go back at a later time – dig them up and eat them! She walked around with a dirty nose from burying treats all the time! was great!!