Race Week

by Meghann on April 9, 2013

It’s race week!

Only it’s a different type of race week than I’m used to. Instead of preparing to run a race, I’m preparing to help make a race happen! This coming Sunday is our first event of the season at Iron Girl: the Athleta Iron Girl Clearwater Half Marathon and 5k. It’s a local race for us, but it’s also our biggest race of the season. Big race = big work. We’re all hands on deck this week!

Luckily today and yesterday were relatively quiet. We were in the office working on smaller projects for the big day, like decorating jars for center pieces.

902068_644514948895725_460840078_o.jpg

Every Iron Girl event has a full breakfast cafe for the well-deserved finishers. This year we’re doing a full pancake bar (complete with chocolate chips and whipped cream toppings!). The jars will be the centerpieces for the tables in the breakfast seating area. I’ll have to take a photo of the full concept on Sunday because it’s pretty cool. We’ll have notecards for athletes to write a race thought on while they’re eating their pancakes and place that thought in the jar to share with the world.

Anyway, we’ll be out of the office the rest of the week doing event set-up and race packet pick-up around the city. I’m looking forward to being out in the field and away from my desk. This is going to be fun!

So if you don’t hear from me this week, you’ll know why… it’s because I’m probably out there running around like a chicken with her head cut off. πŸ˜‰

I remembered to take photos of my food today! It’s crazy how easy it is to lose the habit of taking a photos of everything you eat once you stop. It’s been a while since I’ve done a day of eats, so I thought I would share one.

My morning started with a quiet 4 mile run around the neighborhood. The sun is starting to rise a little bit earlier so it wasn’t pitch black by the time I return home. That gives me hope that I won’t be running in the pitch black every morning. πŸ™‚

For breakfast I had a toasted whole wheat english muffin with almond butter, pumpkin butter, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp (I love the extra crunch!). On the side I had apple slices and more almond butter.

20130409_072725.jpg

Lunch was enjoyed outside in the beautiful Florida sunshine. It was a random mix of veggies, hummus, leftover french fries (reheated in the office toaster oven), hard boiled eggs, Wasa crackers, and some of Saturday’s caramelized onion cheddar.

20130409_123300.jpg

Snack:

20130409_162808.jpg

My last one! I need to plan another trip to Trader Joes ASAP.

I was still craving the caramelized onion cheddar when I made it home. I had a feeling it would be extra tasty in some sort of omelet of frittata. I fried up some bacon, chopped up the cheddar and cherry tomatoes, and whisked a half a dozen or so eggs. Unfortunately, once I put it all together I sort of forgot about it under the broiler and it burned. Whoops. Still tasted great though. The caramelized onion cheddar and bacon was an EXCELLENT combination.

20130409_191948.jpg

The frittata was served with roasted brussels sprouts and a steam-in-a-bag potato/veggie mix.

Is anyone racing this weekend?! I’ll be at all the packet pick-up locations so be sure to say hi!

1 Sana April 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Enjoy being on the other side of a race!
Sana recently posted..Week 1-10k Training

2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 9, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Good lookin eats!

Good luck with your busy race week!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Weekend Update

3 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I always forget about making fritatas but they are such great dishes. My plan is to make one Sunday to eat for breakfast during the week.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Working out with Don Draper

4 Sarah April 9, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Running the Windermere 5K this weekend in Orlando!

5 Presh April 9, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Your breakfast looks yummy!!!
A lot of women from my running group – black girls run! Orlando
will be running in Iron Girl!
Maybe next year I will πŸ™‚
Good luck with this week!
Keep positive & as stressfree as possible πŸ™‚
Presh recently posted..TIP for tat: Fly like superman!

6 Angela April 10, 2013 at 1:04 am

Do you wear anything special when running before the sun rises i.e. reflective clothing, head lamp, etc?

7 Meghann April 10, 2013 at 7:28 am

I wear clothing with reflective pieces in built in (like the Brooks Nightlite collection)

8 Andrea R. April 10, 2013 at 5:51 am

That race sounds awesome! A pancake bar at the finish?? My kind of race! Great job and so cool that you get to play such a big role! What a rewarding week you will have!!

I am not racing this weekend or any time real soon… because I can’t find one I want to do! I want a fun Half! know of any in the Midwest region?!
And yes, doesnt it make running even more beautiful when you approach that last mile of the run and the sun is just starting to come up??
Thanks for the posts I LOVE them!!
Andrea R. recently posted..Yummy Package, Sweaty Run, and SLEEP!

9 Frances April 10, 2013 at 7:26 am

That frittata looks yummy! I love eggs though, and you can add almost anything to omelettes and have it come out great!

10 Regina C April 10, 2013 at 7:28 am

I am running Iron Girl on Sunday!! It’s a race I have been looking into for years and I finally get to run it!
Regina C recently posted..Wedding Photos are Here!

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 10, 2013 at 7:43 am

I’d love to hear more about the behind the scenes of putting on a race. As runners I know we’re quick to complain about anything going wrong, but I’m sure it’s a lot of really hard work for the team putting on the race!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Intuitive Style

12 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy April 10, 2013 at 7:48 am

Have fun! I think it would be so fun to prepare for a race. I plan on one day hosting a race for Eating Disorder Awareness AND Mental Disorder Awareness. I’m thinking Half Marathons so I can have the fun breakfasts and pasta dinners. πŸ™‚ One day…. One day…
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Instill My Childhood and The Ultimate Fighter

13 Felicia April 10, 2013 at 8:07 am

Have fun with the first race!! PS – Trader Joe’s has an AMAZING English Cheddar with Caramelized Onion cheese as well! My hubby and I are always looking for new ways to use it in our cooking!

14 Molly @ RDexposed April 10, 2013 at 8:10 am

I just have a hometown 5K (which would be the sole reason for the race).
Best of luck with your race!
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..The Weeknight Savior

15 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 10, 2013 at 8:17 am

Those peanut butter and oats bars looked good!

Good luck with the race!
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..What I ate Wednesday #7

16 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing April 10, 2013 at 8:52 am

Your job sounds so very cool. Happy for you! πŸ™‚
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..Weigh in Wednesday 4-10-13

17 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

Your job looks like so much fun!! Have a blast at the race!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #28: Not Smart

18 Kim April 10, 2013 at 11:17 am

Good luck with the race!
Your post made me wonder if you now find it more challenging
to eat in a healthy way now that you are working again?
That is my concern about when I go back…..

19 Annette @FitnessPerks April 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

That’s so cool–your job! It really is a perfect fit for you. Have fun today!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Baby Perks: The Details (& Weeks 4-13)

20 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise April 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I hope you’ll continue to post about your experience with helping to organize a race–it’s so interesting to hear about! I know organizers really work their butts off to put together a good race, but I don’t think the racers get to fully appreciate all of the work that goes into putting on a race. Good luck getting through the week!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Race Recap: Shamrock Shuffle 8K

21 Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine April 10, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Yep! Running the half! Hope to see you!
Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine recently posted..I run because…

22 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

The breakfast bar is making me want to run a race for sure! Mmm.mmm.
I bet it’s a lot of fun setting up for them too. Such a cool job.

Thanks for posting about the TJ’s pb oat bars. Now I have to go get them. Sigh.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..The Seriously Perfect Cookie

23 Sonia the Mexigarian April 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Raced last weekend. Got 3 weeks until Big Sur (walking the 9miler) and then a week after that is The Ave 1/2 where we run through the avenue of the giants here in CA. I have never done this race and am looking forward to running it with my sisters!

Can’t wait to see how the event turns out for you. It’d be interesting how the behind the scenes to races plays out. πŸ™‚
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..WIAW Race Week

24 Emily April 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Haha, I know from experience that promoters probably run more than athletes do, but their running takes place BEFORE the race πŸ™‚

Those jars look darling, I can’t wait to see the full getup!

Good luck and have fun!
Emily recently posted..The One Where I Eat and Maybe Shop

25 Renee April 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I bet it’s a lot different being on the other side of the race. I can’t wait to hear how it goes. I really don’t have any idea of what goes on the organizers’ side of things.
Renee recently posted..Water and the Effects of Dehydration on Your Running

26 BroccoliHut April 10, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’m excited to see how it all turns out–I love the idea of the jars as centerpieces!
BroccoliHut recently posted..The Case for Vitamin D

27 Carli April 10, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I think the fritatta looks fine! I will say that eggs are the thing I most frequently forget when I’m cooking so I guess I’m just used to them being a little extra crispy.

What a fun job! It must be exciting to see all those women come across the finish line with that smile of accomplishment. Or holding their legs together because they gotta use the restroom. Either way…fun!
Carli recently posted..A Chicago Story….

28 Steph April 10, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Good luck!!!! I’m sure it will be awessome!!!
Steph recently posted..Disgusting!

29 Gina April 11, 2013 at 5:32 am

The pancake bar sounds awesome! What a great idea!
Gina recently posted..Author’s Craft for Writing

30 Susie April 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Delicious looking day. Good luck for Sunday!

31 Ashli @ The Sweat Revolution April 11, 2013 at 4:31 pm

A pancake bar sounds like a freakin’ awesome way to finish a race! And those roasted Brussels Sprouts look delish!
Ashli @ The Sweat Revolution recently posted..The body achieves what the mind believes