more ยป" />

13.5

by Meghann on April 5, 2013

It’s Friday!!!

Any big plans this weekend?! Derek turns the big 2-9 on Monday so we have a few things lined up to fill out the weekend.

My Friday started with 13.5.

This was the final open workout for the CrossFit games.

4 minute AMRAP of:

• 15 Thrusters (100 / 65 lbs)
  • 15 Chest to bar Pull-ups

If 90 reps (3 rounds) are completed in under 4 minutes, time extends to 8 minutes.

If 180 reps (6 rounds) are completed in under 8 minutes, time extends to 12 minutes.

If 270 reps (9 rounds) are completed in under 12 minutes, time extends to 16 minutes.

Etc.

This was basically a condensed version of Fran with a C2B instead of a regular pull-up. If you did 90 reps in the first round you would advance. If not, you were done at 4 minutes. I’ll give you a little hint on how hard this was – no one in my class went passed the first round. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I wasn’t even close to RXing this one. I used a band for the C2B (though I did go down to a smaller color, so I’m happy with that) and only the 45 lb bar for the trusters. My coach was kind of funny about today’s WOD. He was pretty intimidated by the WOD himself, so he took an extra relaxed approach to the class. He gave us extra modifications and didn’t push us like he usually does. It was weird actually.

The 4 minutes flew by, like I knew it would, and it wasn’t long before my “light” 45lb bar felt like it weighed a million pounds. I bet I would have moved a little bit faster if I felt like I was being pushed, but coach’s relaxed approach was rubbing off on the class and it didn’t seem like any of us were booking it. Well, either that or none of us wanted to finish all 90 reps in 4 and then have to move on to the 120 rep 8 minute round. That would have hurt. Ouch.

When time was called I was on my 3rd round of thrusters with a total of 65 reps under my belt. Not even close to the 90 needed to move on. Even if I was pushing myself to my max, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have made it to that number.

Watch the video of the pros doing the workout HERE. Talk about humbling!

Did you do 13.5? How did you do?

It was a gloomy morning. It poured on my way to work, then the clouds lingered until mid afternoon.

20130405_120818.jpg

The perfect weather for a soup and veggie lunch.

20130405_120811.jpg

Publix chili with a side of veggies, cheese, and hummus. The perfect, yummy meal.

Luckily the clouds cleared and we’re all crossing our fingers for a sunshine-y weekend!

I hope the sun is shining wherever you are this weekend!

1 [email protected] April 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm
2 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Good looking lunch! Yum!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..High Five for Friday!

3 Emily @ The Swallow Flies April 5, 2013 at 9:21 pm

That lunch looks delicious. I’ve been looking for some new ideas!
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos

4 Jenny April 5, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Lunch looks good!!

I did not attempt any of the game workouts this year since I’m still so new to CF. But next year, next year I will do it!!
Jenny recently posted..If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you Part 2-Come to Jesus Friday

5 Angela April 5, 2013 at 9:47 pm

That sounds so intense!! You go girl!
Angela recently posted..Friday Favorites

6 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 5, 2013 at 10:59 pm

What an intense workout! Well done ๐Ÿ™‚
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Friday Favourites #5

7 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing April 5, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Wow, that is so awesome! I’ve really been wanting to try Crossfit but I have to admit that I’m extremely intimidated!
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..My First Giveaway!

8 Molly April 6, 2013 at 10:55 am

You work right next to where I live!! Great area, right?! My mom and I are doing the iron girl 5k in Clearwater next weekend, whoop! Congrats on the job ๐Ÿ™‚

9 mi-an dela cruz April 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm

i did 13.5, 55 lbs thruster and jumping pull ups.. ๐Ÿ™‚ did 61 reps. that was hard!!!!
i need to work on my pull ups, toe to bars, handstand, rope climb…need i say more!??

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats April 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm

We had AWFUL weather Thursday night but its cleared up and gorgeous for the weekend ๐Ÿ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Working out in the โ€™90s

11 Lorne April 6, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Your lunch looked soooo refreshing – yum

12 Carli April 6, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I don’t do crossfit and the only person certified in our area is a kids instructor. Trying at my home seems a little intimidating. Plus I think it’s one of those workouts that’s better with people.
Carli recently posted..Real Into Reads No. 11 & The Big Reveal

13 Renee April 7, 2013 at 10:22 pm

You always have the best looking lunches–never boring! I need to take some inspiration from you.
Renee recently posted..Contrasting Runs

14 Jenn April 8, 2013 at 5:52 pm

13.5 killed everyone at my box that attempted it. I spent 3:30 attempting to get my first chest to bar pullups EVER. I was finally able to eek out a few but I don’t EVER want to do that again! Nice job!
Jenn recently posted..Training Recap, 3/25 – 3/31