more ยป" />

Goofballs

by Meghann on April 2, 2013

I have the best friends.

goofballs.jpg

Love these goofballs.

It’s so tempting to bail on swimming after work, but knowing I get to see all of their smiling faces makes it all worth it. Without these goofs, I would never go to the pool. I owe them big time for always inspiring me to do more than I think I can. ๐Ÿ™‚

Today was a good day. It all started with a 3 mile run with Maddie. She was giving me the biggest puppy dog eyes, begging to go for a run, so I couldn’t leave her behind. I ran at Maddie’s pace and just enjoyed the run with my favorite pups.

After our run, I prepped dinner.

20130402_071415.jpg

Mmm… looks tasty, right?

I freakin’ love our crock pot. Hands down one of my favorite wedding gifts. I love it even more now that I’ve discovered the liners for it.

20130402_204417.jpg

They’re not the cheapest things ever, but holy cow do they make clean up a breeze. Totally worth the extra splurge at the grocery store. Totally.

What’s in the crock pot? My own little concoction. I couldn’t find a recipe for slow cooker pork that I liked so I made up my own.

In the pot:

• Lean Pork Roast
  • 1 16-oz can beef broth
  • 1 16-oz can petite diced tomatoes with green chilis
  • 1 yellow onion
  • chili powder
  • garlic powder
  • cumin
  • salt
  • pepper

I set the timer for 10 hours on low and pressed the start button on my way out the door at 8:00am this morning.

When I returned home just after 7:00pm, the house smelled amazing. The pork shredded beautifully and tasted great too.

20130402_193220.jpg

Yum.

Oh, swim practice!

We had a fun one today. Lots of kick board (I <3 the kick board!) and finished with some team relays.

• 350 warm up
  • 250 kick
  • 300 steady
  • 150 kick
  • 50 kick fast
  • 50 free fast
  • 100 easy
  • 100 back kick
  • 800 relay (I did 100 free)
  • 400 relay (I did 50 free)
  • 50 cool down

I’m pretty sure I’m forgetting some sets, but you get the idea.

If you ever want to end a swim practice on a high note, I highly suggest a little friendly competition with team relays. They’re guaranteed to pump everyone up and leave some huge smiles on their faces. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alright, back to dinner.

The pork made some mighty fine sandwiches.

20130402_195731.jpg

With a side of extra crispy roasted brussels sprouts (just the way I like it!) that the hubby started while I was driving home (love him!).

20130402_195712.jpg

The dinner hit the spot.

Now Derek and I are watching Argo. I wasn’t sure I was going to like it, but the movie is really good. Great acting, great suspense, and great story telling. I give it two thumbs up and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good movie to watch.

1 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs April 2, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Crock pots for the win! I <3 mine and should definitely use it more often!
Your dinner sounds delicious!

2 Monica April 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Slow cooker liners are way cheaper on Amazon. At the store they are so out of my price range, but online they are downright reasonable. I bought these (but I’m sure they’re all the same): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V9K8Z6/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_dp_2

3 Meghann April 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for the tip! Loading up on these in bulk!

4 Chelsea April 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I had no idea they made crock pot liners! That’s amazing! Thanks to Monica for the link to them on Amazon because let me tell you, I’d use our crock pot way more if I didn’t know I’d have to do all that scrubbing at the end! BTW: those sandwhiches/that pork looks delic!
Chelsea recently posted..Conquering the day

5 jennyv April 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm

LOVE Argo — and LOVE crockpot meals ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy!

6 Chelsea April 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm

*delish ๐Ÿ˜›
Chelsea recently posted..Conquering the day

7 beka @ rebecca roams April 2, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Crock pot liners are the best invention ever! They sort of remind me of those baggies you can cook pork chops in from McCormick ๐Ÿ˜‰
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..#GoalGetter2013 March Recap

8 Angela April 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm

What a supportive group!!
I can’t wait to watch Argo! Also-I need more crock pot meals in my life, why don’t I use it more?!
Angela recently posted..Marriage Secret #1

9 Laura April 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Are those crock pot liners safe? I would be worried about toxins leeching into the food. Is that an issue with them?

10 Jen April 3, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I wondered that too, and this is what google says:

FYI for anyone else who was wondering ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Taryn April 2, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Did you know you can put the crock pot insert in the dishwasher? I just learned that a month ago, but it’s made my life much easier!
Taryn recently posted..Read This

12 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I so want to buy a slow cooker, seeing your post makes me want to get one even more!

The weather here has just turned colder so I think it might be time ๐Ÿ™‚
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..March Recap

13 Cecilia @MommiesRun April 2, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Yum! Crispy Brussel sprouts are my fave! I can pop those bad boys like chips! I’m not a big pork fan but that looks delish!

14 Becky @ runfundone April 2, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I have major guilt about leaving my dog behind when I run…but running her pace would be 4 minute miles, so that part is not an issue!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..I Like Learning! Nuun HTC Application

15 Annette @FitnessPerks April 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Def slow cooker wins! Always around here too ๐Ÿ™‚

So cool that you have such an uplifting/inspiring group of friends/team members to swim with!

16 Kelsey April 3, 2013 at 12:05 am

You literally just became my best friend. Slow cooker liners are probably one of the top three most amazing inventions ever. I HATE cleaning the slow cooker! Thank you! Also, you’re a better dog owner than me. My pups wouldn’t leave my side while I got ready to run, he was heart broken when I went without him ๐Ÿ™ sad.

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 3, 2013 at 6:51 am

The crock pot really does seem like the perfect tool when you’re away at work all day and want dinner ready when you get home! And I know what you mean about friends and exercising – I would not have been able to get through my run this weekend if I didn’t do most of it with two of my friends!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAWโ€“Getting Sickโ€ฆ

18 Jillian April 3, 2013 at 7:33 am

If it wasn’t for crock pot liners, I would never use mine! They are amazing!

Argo was so good. I watched it on a flight recently and even though I knew the story and the plot, I was still on the edge of my seat!
Jillian recently posted..March Is Over! And Mexico!

19 Reenie April 3, 2013 at 7:43 am

CP liners are the best!! Your dinner looks good.

20 Courtney April 3, 2013 at 8:18 am

Yes x 1000 to the crockpot liners!! I use my crockpot a million times more now because of those little things. They are totally worth the splurge. I justify it by knowing that by using the crockpot we are much less likely to eat out and the liners are much cheaper than takeout!

21 Nikki April 3, 2013 at 8:34 am

I swear by those liners! Even when I accidentally poke a hole in them with a fork, they are still easier to clean than without using them ๐Ÿ˜‰
Nikki recently posted..Everything&rsquo;s Better At Home

22 Heather April 3, 2013 at 9:16 am

oh must try this one looks yummy!

23 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner April 3, 2013 at 9:18 am

I felt the same way about Argo! I watched all the movies up for best picture this year before the Oscars and I put Argo off until last because I thought it would be boring…it was actually really interesting, and I liked it quite a bit.

I’ve never heard of crockpot liners before–looks like a good buy!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..โ€œDavy Got a Raiseโ€ Quiche

24 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 3, 2013 at 9:19 am

I loved Argo! We saw it twice in the theaters and I would still like to watch it again.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..No Foolinโ€™

25 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian April 3, 2013 at 9:24 am

LOVED Argo! Very different than what I expected, but I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect really. I thought Ben was terrific. And to think he directed it too!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #47: Irish Soda Bread

26 Sarah @ Yogi in Action April 3, 2013 at 9:36 am

I’ve never heard of crock pot liners- but I don’t think I’d use them. What about the waste that’s created from throwing them away everytime you use it? It might be a small plastic bag, but it adds up over time.
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..Randoms from the week

27 Heather F. April 3, 2013 at 9:54 am

Liners seem pretty wasteful. Is cleaning a crock pot that difficult? With Earth Day this April you should consider trying to minimize waste in a few ways.

28 Emily @ The Swallow Flies April 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

Roasted Brussels sprouts are my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavorite!
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos

29 Emily N April 3, 2013 at 10:06 am

We have Argo at home. We really need to get to it. but with basketball on the weekend and early bedtimes during the week, we just haven’t yet!
Emily N recently posted..The countdown, Dog Reactions, and a quick run.

30 Emily April 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

I really didn’t want to watch Argo. For some reason I thought it would be scary (?), but it is seriously one of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time! Way to go, Ben!
Emily recently posted..Lucky

31 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane April 3, 2013 at 10:39 am

I think I was the only person in college who used a crockpot ( the mini version) they are so useful! That pork looks delicious!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..WIAW- 1st Edition

32 Elizabeth @ Positive Change April 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

I am always looking for a good pork, slow cooker recipe and can never find one either! Thanks for posting one!! I can’t wait to try!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..HELLOOO!!!

33 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas April 3, 2013 at 10:53 am

Oooh, I had no idea the lines existed. I just got a new slow cooker because I dropped the inside trying to take it out of the dishwasher (because I’m a dumb dumb and tried to grab it right after using heated dry… let me tell you, that thing broke into like 40 pieces because it was so hot!). Long comment short, I need to buy some! ๐Ÿ™‚
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..Three Things&#8230; Monday Edition: All Moved!

34 Sarah April 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

The downside to those liners is that they aren’t very friendly to the environment. I think we should all be thinking about ways to minimize our impact, not add to it. I understand that it’s easier, but you might want to think about the bigger picture. For instance, I have greated reduced my use of ziploc bags in favor of containers that I can wash and re-use.

Always enjoy your blog, and enjoy it even more now that you are working full-time again. Helps make it relateable. And I can’t wait to find out what your job is, as we have simliar interests I think!

35 allison April 3, 2013 at 11:05 am

i have an ancient crock pot from my mom but we registered for the crock pot with cast iron insert (that you can put on the stove!) from williams sonoma. i honestly think cleaning the insert of my current one is NBD, although i bet the cast iron one will be different. things dont really burn onto it bc the lid is always closed, and i just take a scrubby to it after dinner. the bags sorta creep me out – haha i just cant get behind scooping my dinner from a plastic bag ๐Ÿ˜‰

36 Sonia the Mexigarian April 3, 2013 at 11:11 am

My Dad, who isn’t big on movies (last one he saw in theaters was LOTR and the time before, La Bamba) has been asking if Argo was still in theaters because he has an interest in watching it. haha. I think I will get it on DVD for him.

Loooooove brussel sprouts!!

I dunno about them liners. I still have a fear of things burning with crockpots and adding plastic to the mix just seems a little much. -shrug- but whatever floats peoples boats.

I loved kickboard drills when I was on swim team. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..April Goals: Fitness, Health & Food

37 sara @ fitcupcaker April 3, 2013 at 11:41 am

I need those liners. I hate cleaning the crock pot. And argo was such a good movie!!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Pancakes & Low Carb Enchiladas

38 Ja @Ja on the RUN April 3, 2013 at 11:50 am

I’m there with you! Same here! One thing that motivates me to go to my gym class is I’ll get to see my awesome friends. ๐Ÿ™‚
I got a crockpot too during my wedding! It’s best and oh plus the Keurig! ๐Ÿ™‚ Best wedding gifts ever. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will definitely try the liner. I see them but I never tried them. Will definitely get one of those. I use the pan liners for baking. Love those! I’m one of those lazy people who doesn’t like to wash dishes after a sumptuous meal. LOL!
Ja @Ja on the RUN recently posted..New Blog Nameโ€ฆRevealed!

39 Maureen April 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I would totally spend the money for those liners. I hate cleaning the Crock Pot. But I love coming home to dinner already done. Last night was pork that was cooked with beer, onion, salt, and pepper. So easy and delicious.
Maureen recently posted..Race Goals

40 Jenn April 3, 2013 at 12:41 pm

OMG they make crock pot liners???? MUST go find some!
Jenn recently posted..Training Recap, 3/25 – 3/31

41 Emily April 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Peer pressure is always a great motivator for working out!

I have Argo in the Netfix queue, glad to hear it’s a wise choice!
Emily recently posted..The One Where I Quickly Share my Whole30 Day 3

42 GM April 3, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I never knew about the liners til noew. Did you get them at Publix?

43 Meghann April 3, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Yep, I found that at Publix.

44 PeachyLau April 3, 2013 at 6:09 pm

aaah amazing. I already bought a slow cooker thanks to you and now I learn that lining exists plus you give out a recipe that looks yummy! Amazing post! x

45 BroccoliHut April 3, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Oh man, those liners would make my life so much easier. Have you ever tried to scrape off baked-on oatmeal from a crock pot? I hope not, as it’s pretty miserable. Thanks for the tip!

46 Renee April 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm

That meat looks amazing. I’ve made something similar with beef–and used green salsa (and no broth).
Renee recently posted..Contrasting Runs

47 Carli April 5, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Pork in the slow cooker is the best! I also love the liners but forget to put them in half the time.

Your friends do look like a lot of fun! I can’t wait for it to get warm enough to swim here.
Carli recently posted..Pilates: Breathing {#YQA}