The Host

by Meghann on March 30, 2013

Happy Easter weekend!!

Our office got an early Easter treat when we shut down at 2:00 instead of the usual 5:30. I took advantage of the extra hours to myself and headed straight to the movie theater to indulge in a solo matinee.

HostSolo.jpg

If you’re a long time Meals and Miles reader then you know I’m a tiny bit obsessed with the Twilight series. Those were THE books to read back in 2008 and I fell in love with Stephenie Meyer and the characters she created. However, when The Host came out towards the end of 2008 I wasn’t 100% sold on it. I could get on board with vampires and werewolves, but invading aliens? Eh.

Here’s a description thanks to Mr. Amazon.

“Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy that takes over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. But Wanderer, the invading “soul” who occupies Melanie’s body, finds its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer’s thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she’s never met. Soon Wanderer and Melanie-reluctant allies-set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.”

Then, 4 years later, I started seeing previews for the movie version of the book and I was all of a sudden intrigued by the storyline. This happens every time. I’m not interested in a book, then I see previews for the movie and I’m all of a sudden interested. Apparently I’m a visual person.

I downloaded the audio version of the book earlier this month (yep, still obsessed with audiobooks) and listened to the story during my 30+ minute commute to and from work each day.

Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 6.16.43 PM.png

She did it again. Stephenie Meyer fueled my love for vampires and werewolves and now she’s fueled my love for invading aliens (well, one invading alien). She took a sci-fi story and brought it mainstream, developing characters I rooted for and cheered for along the way.

I finished listening to the book in the parking lot of the movie theater (cutting it close, right?). Since the movie preview was what inspired me to read the book, I couldn’t wait a minute longer to see it in theater.

the-host-poster-banner.jpg

I wanted to love the move – I really, really wanted to love it – but I didn’t. Unfortunately the movie fell flat. It just didn’t turn out the way I saw it in my head. I didn’t like the casting choice for Ian, I didn’t like the way they did Melanie and Wanda’s conversations, the fight between Melanie and Kyle was anti-climatic, and the way they chopped the storyline would have been confusing for anyone who hadn’t read the book. They turned a great book into an average movie. Sigh.

If you’re a fan of The Host, it might still be worth watching, but if you haven’t read The Host I would skip the movie and read the book anyway (seriously, it is a great book).

Have you read The Host? Have you ever been disappointed by a movie for a book you read?

After Derek got off work last night we packed up and headed to Titusville to spend the weekend with my family.

9569485498c911e28e0922000a9f1335_7.jpg

We’re ready for a weekend full of good food and lots of puppy kisses.

Have a great Easter weekend, everyone!

1 [email protected] March 30, 2013 at 10:31 am

I’ve actually never read any of the twilight books…little behind the times! πŸ˜‰ have a great holiday!
[email protected] recently posted..Meal Plan for the Week

2 Mary March 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Meh. I was looking forward to seeing this. I haven’t had a chance to read the book yet but will make it my mission to do so now before The Host comes out in the cinema in the UK.
I was really disappointed by Breaking Dawn Part II. I tried to watch it the other night but after the first ten minutes I was so disappointed I removed the DVD. πŸ™ I might try again later this week but I LOVED the Twilight books too, and the first couple of films were really good…I just couldn’t bring myself to carry on watching the last film.
Mary recently posted..Parkrun tips

3 amyt April 1, 2013 at 11:12 am

I agree…the beginning did drag – but I have to say the ending is the best – you should watch the fight scene. That’s the best part of the movie. (if you can make it that far) πŸ™‚

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 30, 2013 at 12:16 pm

That’s too bad the movie didn’t turn out well. I love Harry Potter as well as many dystopias, but I just don’t get into werewolves, vampires, aliens and the like. Lol not sure why though
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Reading Frenzy!

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 30, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks, I was debating on seeing this movie this weekend. I’m not a huge Stephanie Meyer fan. I thought the Twilight books were very poorly written.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Nothing Daunted

6 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal March 30, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I tried reading The Host when I was done with The Twilight series (the books) but I did not get into it, I thought it wasn’t very well written and it didn’t capture my attention and curiosity like the Twilight books did, but maybe that’s just me. I didn’t really expect the movie to be very good. I like the song they chose for the trailer but that’s about it, after the reaction I had from reading it, I knew I wouldn’t be big on the movie, so your review furthered my initial response. Oh well! I’ll probably watch it when it’s out on DVD though.
Kammie @ Sensual Appeal recently posted..Pros and Cons about Diet-To-Go (review)

7 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I can’t get into the twilight books, but I heard the Host was much better written. Too bad the movie was a disappointment.
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..Sweet Potato, Apple, and Chicken Sausage Casserole

8 Jen March 30, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I read the Twilight books but didn’t read The Host.
When it comes to movie versions of books, I go in expecting to see a different interpretation. I like to see stories told in different ways, and seeing how a film maker or perhaps a Broadway musical version of a novel differs from the written page and my own vision is what makes it interesting to me. I may be in the minority on that. I know many people get deeply offended when source material is adapted and changed for a different medium. I tend to avoid comparing and calling one “better” than the other. They’re just different. It’s not like a filmmaker who deviates from the novel is somehow lessening the novel. We still have both versions.
On the other hand, paying good money and being disappointed sucks.

9 Jen March 30, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I don’t know why the blog link to my response went to Run Disney. That’s not my blog!
Jen recently posted..Five Things Friday

10 Courtney March 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm

The worst movie version of a book was My Sister’s Keeper – they completely changed the ending and made it so predictable!! So frustrating :(((
Courtney recently posted..Final Vacation Photos

11 Maureen March 30, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I TOTALLY agree with you! I read somewhere that Jodi Picoult was NOT happy about that huge change of plot.
Maureen recently posted..Weekend Reading

12 Katelyn March 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I 100% agree, I loved the book ( read it 3 times) and the movie fell short. All of the scenes developing the characters were cut out in favor of awkward romance scenes. I also wish they developed Wanda’s character better with her back story and all… Sigh at least they kept the ending somewhat the same

13 Amanda March 30, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I really loved the book but felt she cheapened the ending. When I saw the trailer I was annoyed that they turned it into a movie, a subpar movie too! Ugh.

14 Carli March 30, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I don’t watch movies if I’ve read the book. It is always a disappointment to me so I stopped doing both years ago. It’s one or the other for me!

I’ve never heard of the host but then again that’s not the genre of book that I read. My husband might have because he loves that stuff!
Carli recently posted..10 Ways to Get Fit on Vacation #FitnessFriday

15 Emily N March 30, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I LOVED the host (the book), so I think I will skip the movie. I am consistently disappointed by books turned into movies, so thank you for the warning!
Emily N recently posted..Higher Mileage

16 Annette @FitnessPerks March 30, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I didn’t like the book that much, actually…but I’ve never been into the whole alien thing. Good to know about the movie!

Have fun with your fam!

17 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 30, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Sometimes I will see a movie and then read the book for that exact reason as the movie a lot of times will never live up to the book.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..The Liebster Blog Award

18 Maureen March 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I find that most movies that come from a book or book series do not live up to the book. In some cases I think that’s because with a book the author can add another few paragraphs in order to tell a great story. With a movie, they only have so much time to show you the same story.
The only 2 movies that I feel are better than the books are The Notebook {I could NOT get into that book} and Memoirs of a Geisha {the visual artistry was beyond what my mind could imagine while reading the book}.
Maureen recently posted..Weekend Reading

19 Mia March 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I was debating watching the movie this weekend but ended up watching the Olympus one.

PS: My name’s Mia and I’m a new food blogger on Chinese/Italian/Korean/Japanese/American recipes and restaurant reviews. Feel free to browse around my page.
Mia recently posted..A Fishy Night

20 Emily March 31, 2013 at 12:58 am

I haven’t read “The Host” but I was obsessed with the Twilight books although I felt the movies were a little meh. Well, the first movie was awesome and even my husband liked it, but the rest were meh. Good to know not to hold my breath for “The Host”.
Emily recently posted..The One About My Mommy-Son Breakfast Date

21 [email protected] March 31, 2013 at 9:40 am

Movies are rarely as good as the books which is a bummer. I tried reading The Host and heard it was better once you got deep into the story. I still havent made it. πŸ™‚ Maybe Ill try again and catch the movie on RedBox!
[email protected] recently posted..Les Mis and Burger Bach

22 Jasmine, bama + ry March 31, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I’m so glad I didn’t read the book first. I saw this movie last night and both my hubs and I LOVED it. We both hated Twilight, but we absolutely adored this movie. I cannot wait to read the book!

23 Christine @ BookishlyB March 31, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I haven’t read The Host and never, ever, ever will. Stephanie Meyers is the quintessential example of what’s wrong with the literary industry- people like her get paid millions of dollars for sub-par writing that is easily commercialized while people with true writing chops get over-looked. Yes, everyone has the right to read what they want, and I understand the need for entertainment, but as a true lover of literature I just can’t handle it.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

24 Taryn April 1, 2013 at 9:10 am

I read The Host right when it came out because I had loved all the Twilight books. I wasn’t a huge fan of the book, though, and I had to make myself finish it. However, the trailers for the movie – I’ve been so intrigued. After reading this, I think I’m waiting for the movie to hit Redbox.
Taryn recently posted..Marvelous Weekend

25 Dana April 1, 2013 at 11:47 am

I thought about seeing this over the weekend, but I saw Temptation instead. I have the Kindle book and will read that and maybe catch the movie on DVD in the future.
Dana recently posted..Trying NuShape

26 Dawn April 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for the post, Meghann! I LOVED the book, and was wondering whether the movie would do it any justice. After your review, I think I’ll just wait for the movie to come out on Redbox or Netflix πŸ™‚
Dawn recently posted..30 Poems, 30 Days: NaPoWriMo Has Begun

27 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles April 1, 2013 at 9:09 pm

What an excellent way to indulge yourself! I’ve never taken myself to the movies before, but I really think it’d be quite enjoyable if it were a movie I really wanted to see (and no one else cared to see it, I guess haha).
Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles recently posted..Driving Miss Daisy… To Cincinnati and Back

28 Krys April 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I read the Twilight series, was practically hooked on them, but when I tried to The Host, I just wasn’t impressed. Actually that’s an understatement. It’s one of those books I couldn’t get past the first chapter. I’ll eventually retry and read it for the sake of a review, but no promises that it may be positive πŸ™‚