13.4

by Meghann on March 29, 2013

Has any one else seen the 13.X workouts pop up on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc and wonder what the heck they were?

They’re workouts for the annual CrossFit Games. 13 is the year and .X is the week’s number (leave it to CrossFit to shorten everything, right?).

My CrossFit Box had put out a call for anyone who wanted to join the open portion of the games a few weeks ago, but it didn’t click until I saw everyone posting about the workouts on every social media outlet that I grasped just how big the open portion was.

See, the CrossFit Games are broken up into a few parts and the first is “The Open” which starts at home at a local box and is, well, open to anyone who wants to join worldwide. A new workout is released every Wednesday and each participant has until Sunday to complete the workout and log their results online. If you don’t have a box nearby you can submit a video of yourself doing the workout to validate you are doing it correctly.

From the open, the contestants are narrowed down to the top competitors who will compete in the regionals, then the top competitors from regionals will go on to nationals.

My box does the open workouts on Saturday for all of the members who are competing, but they’ve also been throwing the workouts in during the week to give us a taste of the open competition.

This morning we were greeted with 13.4, the latest open workout announced.

20130329_075628.jpg

If you can’t read that (who can?!), there’s an amazing explanation of 13.4 HERE (<– click on week 4). There’s even a video breakdown of the moves and everything.

And if you don’t feel like reading all the explanation here’s my non-professional breakdown:

7 minute AMRAP of:

• 3 clean and jerk
  • 3 toes-to-bar
  • 6 clean and jerk
  • 6 toes-to-bar
  • 9 clean and jerk
  • 9 toes-to-bar
  • 12 clean and jerk
  • 12 toes-to-bar
  • etc…. (add three with every new set)

This is actually the first open workout that I didn’t think looked too bad (minus the 135/95# umm.. yeah..). Plus, 7 minutes? Pshh… that’s nothing!

So we did a longer than normal warmup to get our shoulders and legs ready, set the clock, and got to it. Please note that I didn’t come close to the 95# for RX – HA! I did 55# and felt more than challenged at that weight.

The first two rounds were awesome. I finished the set of 6s just as our coach yelled we had gone 2:00. Only 2:00? Man, I’ve got this! Of course that’s right when I started on the 9s and realized just how high of a rep count that was for clean and jerks. My pace dropped like crazy and I just tried to keep myself moving while not worrying about speed. I was wearing out.

The toes-to-bar move is one of my favorite moves because it’s a move I can actually do and do well. However, the love for it wears off in the high rep counts. I couldn’t believe how tired I was when I started my set of 9. My arms were worn out from the clean and jerks and my hands were burning.

I was hoping to finish the 12 reps of clean and jerks and at least start the toe-to-bars, but I didn’t make it that far. I got to 10 reps of the clean and jerks before time was called. Those 7 minutes flew by.

We had 7 minutes to rest, then 250 row for time (this wasn’t part of the original open WOD).

I’m HORRIBLE on the row. Seriously bad. My coach tried to give me a quick lesson to help with speed, but it didn’t matter. I’m pretty sure I posted what will be the slowest 250 of the day.

20130329_080458.jpg

Yep. 1:09. Apparently I need to learn to drive with my legs. Must. Practice. This.

Are you participating in the CrossFit Open?

Post- CrossFit Breakfast:

20130329_084853.jpg

Yogurt, fruit, nuts, and a BelVita biscuit.

It’s the first day it’s not too cold for yogurt. I’ve been relying on oatmeal and eggs. Though I did have pancakes yesterday with hot cinnamon apples on top. A-MA-ZING.

1 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 29, 2013 at 9:51 am

I have been wondering what the heck those weird numbers were! I am counting down the days that its warm enough for my smoothie breakfasts. I’m tired of my oats in the morning :/
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

2 Chelsea March 29, 2013 at 10:00 am

Oh man, even with the cold, I don’t know if I could go all winter without a smoothie! And no worries – I suck at rowing, too. I just can’t ever seem to get a rhythm.
Chelsea recently posted..Taking my feet to the street

3 Lindsay March 29, 2013 at 10:04 am

What’s the correlation between temperature and being able to eat yogurt? I live much further north than you do and I’ve eaten yogurt all winter. Love it!

4 Meghann March 29, 2013 at 10:23 am

I’m a Floridian who freezes when it drops below 65. I’d say that’s a good personal indicator it’s too cold for yogurt. But it’s all relative. We’re big wimps when it comes to the cold down here and are not ashamed of it.

5 Lindsay March 29, 2013 at 10:25 am

Are you eating outside? I just don’t understand how yogurt is that cold…Maybe a smoothie, but yogurt is just slightly colder than room temperature!

6 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution March 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

I think the point was that she was cold before, so she wanted something warm for breakfast, but now it’s warmer.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Life with Frank

7 Meghann March 29, 2013 at 11:33 am

Thank you, Kristy. πŸ™‚

8 Ashley March 29, 2013 at 10:05 am

“not too cold for yogurt” Oh you Floridian! Come hang out in the midwest and you’ll learn to enjoy yogurt for breakfast despite the snow falling in March…
Ashley recently posted..What Day Is It?

9 Jenn March 29, 2013 at 10:43 am

Ahhh I’m attempting the beast of 13.4 this weekend. Toes to bar is my downfall, I can do them just not quickly or very well. πŸ™‚ And I’m seriously probably a slower rower than you..I HATE that thing!
Jenn recently posted..CrossFit Open WOD 13.3

10 Annette @FitnessPerks March 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

I love yogurt at any time! πŸ™‚

Nice workout!

11 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution March 29, 2013 at 10:56 am

I’m not good enough to participate in the Open, but I’m doing the workouts when I can. It’s so fun to gauge myself against the fittest people in the world! I can’t wait to try 13.4! I’m definitely not as good as you are at toes to bar, though. My strong point is the lifting, so I’d love to try those Clean & Jerks at 95#.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Life with Frank

12 Sonia the Mexigarian March 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm

i’m drinking a green smoothie right now and am bundled up because I am cold and shivering. It’s 54 degrees out. Not too cold, but I’m weird and shiver at anything below 60. haha Supposed to hit the 70s later though. . . .
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Happy Birthday Lando!

13 Emily March 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm

“Not too cold for yogurt” – I hear you. We’re like that in California, too! πŸ™‚

14 Casey March 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm

We got the same score for the open! Though I’m TERRIBLE at t2b so I scaled to k2e (woo crossfit acronyms). Great job!

15 Katie @ A Full Plate March 29, 2013 at 2:54 pm

My box has been sprinkling in the open workouts as well. I’ve only been doing CrossFit since October and had to take a month off for being sick so I didn’t sign up for the open. I didn’t think I was ready. It’s really neat to see how many members participate though and totally rock at those WODs! It’s inspirational and I think next time around I’ll definitely participate in the open πŸ™‚
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Ready. Set. Cupcake!

16 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

We will prob do 13.4 on sat but I am terrible at ttb and I def can’t do 95# so we shall see what happens!!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Chick’d Ambassador, Giveaway Winner, And Cinnamon Raisin Protein Balls {Dessert}

17 Rhi @ Hummingbird's Song March 29, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I was thrilled that one of the biggest crossfit games in Australia was held in my home town earlier this year, so I got to witness some amazing athletes doing what they do best. Totally inspiring.

Happy Easter Meaghann!

18 MegG March 29, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I heard round 3 is the beast that everyone needs to get beyond, way to go with this workout! I’m competing, and considering that 95# is my current C&J max, this one is going to be tough! I’ll be happy if I get 6 reps within the allotted time!
MegG recently posted..When a rest day is needed

19 Bria March 29, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Good job girl!!! The only open workout I have done so far is 13.2. The 95# clean and jerks on this one scared me off!! Great work!
Bria recently posted..Finding time: 5 tips for work/life balance.

20 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 29, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I’ve always wondered the explanation of those numbers. I still don’t 100% get cross fit and how it all works even after reading multiple explanations, I think I’d have to do it to actually properly get it.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..The Liebster Blog Award

21 Lisa March 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I am doing the Open and I got 52 reps at RX for 13.4! I got through all 12 Clean and Jerks and 4 of the next Toes to Bar! I love it!

22 Emily N April 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

13.4 looks tough, but you did well. Nice job!
Emily N recently posted..Weekly Workout Recap: March 24