Just Disappeared

by Meghann on March 27, 2013

So I had a first today…

We had a team lunch at Datz (one of my favorite places to eat in Tampa) this afternoon. Everything was going great at first – we gave our order, the server filled our drinks, and we were all excited about the delicious food heading our way. Then a bunch of time went by and we started to wonder where our food was (or where our server had disappeared to). We drooled over every full tray of food that passed us and wondered if it was ours. It was not.

After 20 or 30 minutes of waiting, one of those trays finally stopped in front of us and lunch was served. (I got the “Turkey Talk” sandwich with fig preserves and arugula. yum.) As soon as the food appeared another server stopped by to make an announcement, “… I’m your server now because, well, your last server just quit.” What? All we could do was laugh.

Has anyone else ever had this happened to them? It was definitely a first for all of us. At least we have a story to tell out of it.

Other notes of the day:

• I did my first Turkish Get Ups at CrossFit this morning. For a move that feels so slow and steady, I found myself out of breath after each set. I maxed out with a 25 lb dumbbell – we all have to start somewhere, right?
  • I figured something out during the 20 minute WOD today. When it comes down to it WODs are a lot like running. WODs that are meant to be short and fast, I’m terrible at (just like short distance races in running), but when it comes down to pacing myself in the longer sets (or longer runs) I kick ass. I’ll take a 20 minute WOD over a 5 minute one – and a half marathon over a 5k – any day of the week.
  • Derek stopped at Walgreens on the way home today and randomly bought Maddie a bone. For some reason this really made me smile. πŸ™‚
  • I only half folded that laundry I mentioned yesterday. A basket of running clothes is giving the please-put-us-away death stare right now.
  • I get to see my family this weekend! Derek and I haven’t been to Titusville since our wedding, we’re beyond pumped to spend the Easter weekend with them!
  • Tomorrow is going to be crazy busy at work. We have two big things happening at once. Instead of bring nervous about it, I’m excited. Bring. It. On.

I guess this post needs a photo.

20130323_225755-1.jpg

When in doubt, put a dog on.

Good Night!

1 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 27, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Wow that’s crazy! I’ve never heard of that happening… Maybe there was intense kitchen drama or something??
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..And it begins…

2 jameil March 27, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Once we were sitting in front of the big picture window showing the street and parking lot. Without saying a word to us, we watched our server walk out the front door, get in her car and drive off. We were the only people in the restaurant who didn’t work there. No one came to say anything to us. We eventually had to get up to ask for our check. I was PISSED. That was 2 years ago. I’ve never been back and I will never ever return.
jameil recently posted..Running Update

3 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs March 27, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Sounds like quite the restaurant experience — I’ve definitely never had that happen before!
Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs recently posted..Current Crushes

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 27, 2013 at 10:31 pm

That’s so crazy! I’ve never had that happen. I should admit, I’ve had moments at some past jobs of BEING the one to do it, but I’m not sure I’ve ever even witnessed someone who just up and quit. LOL!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..GREEN Eats!

5 Ja @Athlete Within Ja March 27, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Wow! Never heard of that before. I only see those on tvs and movies. First time to ever here that story to someone. It could really happen. I feel sorry for the waiter. Maybe something happened while sending your orders to the kitchen. Lol. But that’s different. πŸ™‚
Ja @Athlete Within Ja recently posted..Spring, Where Are You?

6 Karen March 27, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Haha I’ve never had a waiter quit on me. Def a story! I think it’s sweet D bought Maddie a random treat πŸ™‚
Karen recently posted..What makes a great spin class

7 Mrs. Swan March 27, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Ya’ll must have scared her off. LOL At least she put in your food orders though.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Yeah- productivity!

8 Emily @ The Swallow Flies March 27, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I’m the exact same way — I would MUCH rather go out on a ten-mile run than a two-miler. FINALLY someone else understands me! πŸ™‚
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Lead Me Not Into Temptation

9 Chelsea March 27, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I love when Mark remembers to grab something for Penny when he goes grocery shopping… πŸ˜€

Maxed out at 25lbs? I looked through that linked article – I’m amazed at being able to do it at all! Don’t think I could my body off the ground like that quite yet!
Chelsea recently posted..Check these stunner shades

10 Angela March 28, 2013 at 12:04 am

Can’t wait for family time at Easter! πŸ™‚ that is so crazy about the server…never seen anything like that before! I am so curious about your new job! I hope we learn more one day. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Chicken & White Bean Chili [a recipe]

11 Emily March 28, 2013 at 12:29 am

Definitely sucks that you had a server walk off shift on you! Sometimes some jobs are so shitty (or life circumstances are so crushing) that all you can do is let go. S/he did what they had to do and you and your co-workers have a funny story to bring home to your families (or blog). Bigger (or smaller!) things of greater interest/importance have happened. Just sayin’

12 [email protected] March 28, 2013 at 7:01 am

Im excited for Easter too! Im hosting a dinner for some friends who cant, like me, get home to see their folks. It should be fun. πŸ™‚

13 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy March 28, 2013 at 7:31 am

I was a waitress for 6 years and I have never had it happen to me when I was dining but I saw two of my co workers walk out in the middle of a shift because they got stiffed for the last time.
I can tell ya, serving is VERY stressful but you just have to brush off some people. I’m sure it was nothing you guys did! lol.
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..I Smelled Like Fajitas and Spring Parties

14 Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health March 28, 2013 at 8:04 am

lol that’s funny, definitely explains why you guys had to wait so long!
Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health recently posted..Feelin’ the Weights

15 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 28, 2013 at 8:33 am

Oh my goodness that is crazy! That has never happened to me before, but I have had a server who forget that we were there. That was weird!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..5 Quick Facts! III

16 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife March 28, 2013 at 8:46 am

that is so weird that he quit. haha. I’m definitely a fan of for time WOD’s instead of for reps. I’d much rather see do this 5 times then 10 min amrap even if the 5 times takes longer than 10 minutes. {does that make any sense?} I think I do them faster this way.
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Greatist: DIY Health

17 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 28, 2013 at 9:07 am

That’s really bad! How unprofessional!

Have a great day at work and good luck with your busy schedule!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW: What I Ate On The Slopes

18 Trisha Oosterhouse March 28, 2013 at 9:12 am

I’ve been following you for a couple of months now through twitter and Instagram, I didn’t realize you were from Titusville. My husband and I used to live there before moving to Michigan. Have a great Easter weekend with family!

19 Samantha Angela March 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

25lbs is quite good for your first attempt at Turkish Get Ups! Awesome job.
Samantha Angela recently posted..Four Things

20 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 28, 2013 at 9:43 am

I love seeing dogs! Mine is so photogenic you will always see my lily lol
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..A Chickpea Kind Of Day

21 Christine March 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

In college I worked a small supper club over the summer. I was hired to be a buffet attendant on Friday nights. On my first night one of the waitresses went outside for a smoke break and never came back, she later texted one of the other waitresses saying she quit. At the end of the night they asked me if I would want to be a waitress instead since they had an opening (better pay and more hours? of course my answer was yes). So I ended up only working one night in the job they hired me for because the next day I started training to be a waitress.

22 June March 28, 2013 at 9:53 am

We had this happen to us on a girls trip to Idaho for a music festival. it was a small town and only a couple of places to eat. we went into the pizza place (not a chain) and there were like 8 of us and we just ordered a bunch of personal pizzas and what-not. we waited and waited and waited.

the cook had quit because he got all stressed out over being so busy. we still laugh about that.

23 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 28, 2013 at 10:03 am

That has never happened to me at a restaurant before, so random!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Dealing with Anxiety

24 Jillian March 28, 2013 at 10:54 am

I had to leave work once when I was waitressing because of an emergency. A co-worker took over and one of my tables tipped me $50(!!!) and left a note that they hoped everything was okay.
Jillian recently posted..13 Life Lessons I Have Learned

25 Brittany March 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

Aww, that restores my faith in humanity a little bit. =)

26 Hannah March 28, 2013 at 11:36 am

That’s funny! I feel like doing that at my job some days. πŸ™‚
Hannah recently posted..Solo Dinner

27 Annette @FitnessPerks March 28, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hahaha. That is TOO funny about the server! I’ve never had that happen before?!?
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Mexican Loaded Sweet Potato

28 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 28, 2013 at 12:07 pm

oh my goodness, I have not had a server quit mid meal before!! That’s crazy!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

29 Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 28, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Aww- I wonder what happened in the server’s day to make him/her quit like that. I served for years and it was the worst job ever- I hated it so much!

Once as a server, I forgot to enter in the people’s food, and they were waiting for SO long, and when they asked me about it, I realized my error. I told them the kitchen was really backed up and it would be right out. When in doubt- always blame the kitchen πŸ˜‰
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..What are you willing to give up?

30 Sara March 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Wow that workout looks intense! 20lbs? um I am at like 9 so I wouldn’t worry about it hahaha

Sara πŸ™‚
Sara recently posted..The Irish Cream Punch

31 Kelly @ Running to Healthy March 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Waiting tables is The. Worst. I wanted to quit every 5 minutes. In college I worked at Olive Garden and I did quit mid-shift. What sent me over the edge was when the 3rd table that day asked for a spit cup for their dip (as they ate!!!). Just too nasty!!
Kelly @ Running to Healthy recently posted..Running and Plantar Fasciitis: An Oxymoron

32 Emily March 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Haha, nope. That’s never happened to me before!

Turkish Get Ups were always the WORST for me. I get soooo bored! I will do a million burpees before I have to do a get up.

Yes, dog and/or baby photos are always appropriate. Bonus points for both a dog AND a baby in the same shot.
Emily recently posted..Two Things Tuesday (or Wednesday)

33 Elisabeth March 28, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Ha! That would be a first for me, too!

34 Brigid March 28, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I can do you one better: one time I had my waitress fired halfway through my dinner because she was on meth. No joke. It was pretty bizarre, especially since I was 16 and way sheltered about drugs.

35 Emily March 28, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Haha that is super funny about your server. Can’t blame that person, I’ve never had that happen to me, though I quit right before my shift started at a restaurant job in college because they were crazy.
Emily recently posted..Dress it Up!

36 Emily @ Tips on Healthy Living March 28, 2013 at 5:47 pm

That is literally every waiter’s dream–walking out in the middle of a terrible shift, 30 tables deep, saying “See ya, suckas!”

Sorry that happened to you, but like someone said earlier–it’s definitely not your fault. And at least another server was able to take over! Who knows what the circumstances were. Glad you had a great lunch despite that. And your dog is super cute.
Emily @ Tips on Healthy Living recently posted..Stock Your Pantry with These Healthy Brands

37 Courtney March 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm

That’s hilarious!! When I worked as a waitress there were times when I wanted to do that, but I never actually DID!
Courtney recently posted..More Vacation Photos

38 rebecca @ blueberry smiles March 28, 2013 at 7:06 pm

That is so funny!! At least she put your order in and you guys eventually got your food!

39 Carli March 28, 2013 at 7:56 pm

A dog always works! I think it’s sweet your hubs bought the dog a bone. I can see why it made you smile.

I haven’t had a server quite while I was being waited on before. I csn imagine it happens more than we think, though.
Carli recently posted..Flash Fitness

40 Kristin March 28, 2013 at 9:51 pm

As a server in college, it’s a tough business and serving groups isn’t always easy! Props to your new server for covering for the person that quit!
Kristin recently posted..Custom Dog Stationery

41 Stephanie Clement March 29, 2013 at 6:07 am

Hah I can trump that πŸ™‚

I’ve BEEN a server to quit in the middle of a shift! Very long story, but there was a lot of stife within the kitchen lately. I had been getting a lot of the backlash of peoples’ nasty attitudes (that I didn’t deserve). It had been a rough week for me (I was in graduate school at the time) and somebody in the kitchen, a ‘boss’, blew up at me for no reason…so I quit. It.was.awesomeeeee. Felt so good to walk out of there. It was a busy brunch soo I’m SURE they had to scramble…but I’m not sure my tables noticed since the kitchen was working together SO poorly that day and couldn’t turn out ANY meals on time.

Hehehe. Don’t ever judge a server! Ever! There is SO MUCH MORE going on that you have no idea about. Also: say please and thank you. You will get better service…the more crass and rude you are, the more you risk stingier service. Rant over πŸ˜€

42 Steph @321delish March 29, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Ha! That’s too funny! I’ll have to see who it was!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Spring Pasta Dinner

43 IanW March 31, 2013 at 6:16 am

That’s a good one. Why quit part way through – but then who knows what happens behind the scene. The best I can do sis sitting too long waiting to have the meal delivered. Going to the counter and asking have we been forgotten.
No it’s on the way – BUT each of the 2 cooks in the kitchen said the other had got the order – took 40 minutes to get served just as we were planning to leave.