Odd Meals

by Meghann on March 21, 2013

I think the more I get into the routine of making packed lunches in the morning, the more random those lunch combinations become. I bore pretty easily when it comes to food combinations, so I definitely like to mix it up. I like a little of this, and a little of that – a one dish lunch just doesn’t do it for me.

Yesterday’s lunch was half of a bag of steam-in-a-bag edamame, two hard boiled eggs, and a slice of leftover pizza.

bdc088a891cb11e29dc922000a1fbb59_7.jpg

I was lazy and bought a half dozen pre-hard boiled eggs from Publix deli on Sunday. My sister and I were talking about packed lunches over the weekend and she mentioned the delicious versatility of the hard boiled egg. I agreed with her – they make great snacks on their own and are a great additional protein source to any meal. The problem is I never remember to boil the eggs ahead of time – that’s where the pre-done stuff comes in handy. No thinking. No effort. Done.

Today’s lunch was another random combination.

20130321_123354.jpg

Cucumber slices and cherry tomatoes with edamame hummus (so sad it’s all gone!), Wasa crackers with horseradish cheese and roast beef, and 1/2 an avocado.

The avocado was a last minute addition, leftover from last night’s dinner. I felt odd throwing it in my lunch bag, but it worked. I ended up slicing it on site (I didn’t want to risk it turning brown by slicing it this morning) and had half with my roast beef and half on its own.

20130321_123548.jpg

So good.

We had lunch with a view today.

20130321_125026.jpg

Seriously, does it get much better than that?

I have a great group of co-workers who all bring their lunches that I eat with everyday. We’ve been waiting for the right weather to eat outside and today was perfect. I could have easily grabbed my laptop and stayed out there all day. Hopefully, the weather will stay nice enough to eat out there for a while (at least until it gets unbearably hot in the summer).

Where do you usually eat lunch? At your desk? Outside? In the office kitchen?

Do you know what today is?! It’s Felipe’s birthday!

P3218880.JPG

(p.s. your coach’s birthday is a good excuse not to have practice, right? πŸ˜‰ )

Our group celebrated tonight at the Spaghetti Warehouse in Ybor. I’d been once on a bicycle food tour a couple of years ago, but this was my first time eating there for a real meal.

P3218869.JPG

It’s a cool place, set in a really old warehouse type building that makes Ybor so great. There’s even an old trolly car in the middle of the restaurant to really theme it up.

P3218883.JPG

They had a 2 for $25 special that Derek and I took advantage of.

P3218872.JPG

For $25 two people could split a salad

P3218876.JPG

And an appetizer (fried zucchini, which were actually pretty good).

P3218878.JPG

Then each get their own main dish. I ordered the lasagna which was just okay. I’m more of an ultra-loaded veggie lasagna girl and this was just basic meat, cheese, and sauce. Yawn.

P3218879.JPG

It all looks like really heavy food, but the portions were all on the smaller end, so it didn’t seem heavy. I left feeling content, but not stuffed. It’s also always nice to hang out with the gang on a weeknight. I’m hoping to join back with swim practice next week – fingers crossed that plan works out!

Double yawn. I’m ready to sleep.

Good Night!

1 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 21, 2013 at 10:40 pm

When I’m at work we have a break out room we eat lunch in. Or if its a nice day I try and get out for a walk.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Friday Favourites #3

2 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 21, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I always eat at my desk, but I always take a break and blog. Dinner looks wonderful!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..CHO-tastic Mango Protein Smoothie

3 Mrs. Swan March 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I eat at a desk, taking bites between customers. It really sucks sometimes that it takes an hour to eat but it is what it is.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..I’ll take it

4 Chelsea March 22, 2013 at 12:16 am

Its awesome that you have people you can eat with at work! I always felt odd being one of the few people who brought my lunch and ate at my desk. No lie, I can’t do hardboiled eggs πŸ™ I wish I could, they make such a prefect snack!
Chelsea recently posted..I Had a Some Catchy Titles…

5 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 22, 2013 at 7:41 am

I.pack my lunch every day and I.always have hard boiled eggs on hand! Too bad I have to eat in our breakroom. No view here! Sad
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..What {I Think} Makes A Good Protein Powder

6 [email protected] March 22, 2013 at 8:02 am

I really want boiled eggs now. I always forget about them!
[email protected] recently posted..Go Home GPS…You’re Drunk

7 Logan @ Mountains and Miles March 22, 2013 at 8:21 am

If it’s nice, I’ll go outside. If not, I either eat at my desk if I’m busy or I’ll head down to our cafeteria with my work friends. Most people buy lunch where I work because we have an AWESOME cafeteria, so I am definitely the odd one out!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..Life with a Puppy

8 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie March 22, 2013 at 8:23 am

That restaurant looks really nice. I’m a stuffed veggie lasagna girl too. When I ate meat I used to like the regular kind but the veggie one is just so much more flavorful.
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..Chowing Down at the Hershey Grill, then Rocking Out at Zumba

9 Lee March 22, 2013 at 8:29 am

I eat at my desk, but I always leave for an hour to get out of the office and do something else (like go to the gym or Target, usually).
Lee recently posted..Bad Mood

10 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 22, 2013 at 8:33 am

If I am working, (at a running store), I eat whenever and where ever! When I am home I sit at the table, no tv, no computer! Spaghetti Warehouse has an amazing pot roast! I know its not pasta, but it is so delicious!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Stretch it Out!

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 22, 2013 at 9:22 am

At my summer internships I would either eat at my desk or head outside and find somewhere nice to sit outside in the loop of Chicago. Luckily both my jobs were near open areas with seating!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Cheyenne Mountain State Park + WINNER!

12 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 22, 2013 at 9:36 am

I used to always bring an avocado to work with me to slice for my sandwiches and salads. My coworkers always gave me strange looks but it was so tasty. Def improves any dish!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

13 Courtney March 22, 2013 at 9:40 am

I go home for lunch. πŸ™‚ I’m fortunate enough to work within ten minutes of my home. When I lived farther away, though, I would eat outside.

14 PeachyLau March 22, 2013 at 9:55 am

I often have tinned macquerel for lunch with some rue bread and a soup. Good way to get your portion of oily fish.
PeachyLau recently posted..UK March glossybox

15 Courtney March 22, 2013 at 9:56 am

I’ve always wondered about the pre-boiled eggs! I love hardboiled eggs but they can be a pain. Are they slimy at all? Or do they taste just as good as a boiled egg made at home? I might need to pick some up!

16 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane March 22, 2013 at 10:01 am

I sit outside whenever possible! Although the past few months as a dietetic intern I usually work through lunch because it’s that busy at the hospital!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Food

17 FiddleDeeAshley March 22, 2013 at 10:14 am

Did you know you can actually bake eggs to make them hard-boiled? I find it’s a lot easier and I’m more prone to making them if I can just bake them and not have to watch a pot of boiling water.
FiddleDeeAshley recently posted..Weekly Round-Up 3/22

18 Emily March 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

I can’t wait to eat my lunch outside again! Counting down the days….the sunlight is good for soul after sitting in an office all day.

My packed lunch for today totally reminded me of a Meghann type meal: Hard boiled egg, hummus, veggies, crackers, cheese, apple,, and peanut butter. A little random, but I was getting bored with the same salad everyday! Thanks for the inspiration πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Friday Dance

19 Emily N March 22, 2013 at 10:24 am

I had NO IDEA that the spaghetti warehouse in my hometown (Toledo, OH) was a change. I am not sure that it is, but this place certainly looks very similar to the one at home!
Emily N recently posted..On Accepting "Good Enough"

20 Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 22, 2013 at 10:41 am

That is a beautiful view for lunch!

Sadly, I eat at my desk everyday- as I work through lunch. But I typically will play on my computer while I actually eat- so I get a 15-20 minute break πŸ™‚
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..A stormy day and spa night

21 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

If I pack my lunch, I end up eating at my desk, which sucks, but there’s no other option in the office. If I go out, it’s usually to grab a sandwich at the grocery store and I take it with me to Starbucks to eat with an iced coffee or green tea.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

22 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It March 22, 2013 at 11:21 am

During the winter, I eat out in the living room at the table but during the spring/summer, I try to sit out on the deck and enjoy my lunch. I work from home so those are my options. I definitely try NOT to eat while at my desk!
Angie @ Losing It and Loving It recently posted..Microwave Cake in a Mug Recipe

23 Steph March 22, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I literally lock myself in my classroom and eat with the lights off by lamplight. If I leave the lights on or the door open, someone (student, another teacher, administrator) will most likely need me to do something, so hide out it is! I’ve tried eating in the teacher’s lounge before, but that is a dangerous place. It’s a cesspool of gossip! Ick. Ah, the joys of being a middle school teacher! πŸ™‚

I haven’t been to S. Warehouse in a long time. Glad to see it was pretty decent, as the last time I went, it wasn’t so great.
Steph recently posted..Speak out!

24 Emily March 22, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Ooh, I love lunch al fresco! I eat at my desk, but sometimes meet the family at a nearby park when it’s nice out.
Emily recently posted..How to Kill Your Quads in 15 Minutes

25 amyt March 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I eat at my desk – I don’t technically get a lunch (9-5). But I do have a awesome back porch with a view of the river…with swings and rocking chairs on it….but sigh I never get the chance to sit out there and eat…I have to answer phones and great people…which ALWAYS show up during the 12-1 hour with out fail.

26 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

My lunches are similar… a random mix of things! Today I had some frozen veggies (microwaved at work), a couple slices of ham, some strawberries, and a few garlic stuffed olives. I am a big fan of eating avocados for lunch. I know my coworkers think my food choices are a bit odd, but that’s ok with me πŸ˜‰
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..My First CrossFit Class

27 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions March 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I always eat my lunch in our kitchen…gotta get away from my desk for a little bit in the day, you know? We don’t really have a place to eat outside, and March in Chicago isn’t exactly conducive to eating outside, anyway πŸ˜‰
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

28 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 22, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I usually go home to eat lunch (I’m lucky that I work 2 minutes away), but I prep everything the night before. It’s just easier that way and I get more time to relax!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..Phone Dump Friday

29 Ja @Athlete Within Ja March 22, 2013 at 11:47 pm

That spaghetti warehouse looks sweet! I love restaurants with themes. I usually eat lunch at home. Nothing beats home made food! πŸ™‚
Ja @Athlete Within Ja recently posted..Happy First Day of Spring!

30 Liz March 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

I can’t remember the last time I ate outside. That is something to think about here when the weather gets warm. I usually eat in the dining facility, which is all we have at my camp. Usually with my coworkers who are like my family. πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..FD248 – Daily Prompt | Places… Post Excerpts & Life Excerpts…Anywhere but Here!

31 Annie @ eatcleaneatreal March 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Random lunch (and dinner) combos can be the best. I love “snack plates” with a few bites of different foods! So fun!
Annie @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Busted!!!! And Bacon Mushroom Quiche with a Cauliflower Crust