Coast-to-Coast Challenge

by Meghann on March 20, 2013

If you’ve read my blog long enough, you probably already know I’m a huge Disney nut. I have an annual pass to Walt Disney World, I’ve run several RunDisney races (heck, I’ve even volunteered at a few!), and I know every word of almost every Disney movie made in the late-eighties/ early-nineties.

I <3 Walt Disney World.

Disneycollage.jpg

However, with all the Disney love, there’s always been something missing from the equation – Disneyland.

disneyland_map.jpg

I like to say I’ve never been to Disneyland, but my mom always swoops in and corrects me. I’ve actually been once – in a stroller – when I was 6 months old. Does it still count if you don’t remember?

I guess it doesn’t make as much sense to travel all the way to the west coast for Disneyland when you have a bigger and better Walt Disney World right in your backyard. I’ve always been curious what the “other” Disney was like, but not enough to plan a trip out of it. Until now. Now I’ve turned into a RunDisney geek and they’ve enticed me with something worth traveling for.

The Coast-to-Coast Challenge.

Screen shot 2013-03-20 at 7.51.59 PM.png

Challenge accepted.

The Coast-to-Coast Challenge is set up for runners who’ve run a race in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. If they complete both races in the calendar year, they earn a coast-to-coast medal.

It’s been a pipe dream of my siblings and I to complete the coast-to-coast challenge for a couple of years now. When I was recently offered a chance to run a race with the RunDisney team, Disneyland was the first race that came to mind. This was my chance to stop dreaming about that coast-to-coast medal and start earning it. Not only could I get the medal, but I could visit Disneyland for the first time as a walking, talking adult (no stroller needed!) and visit my twin brother who lives in Los Angeles (yay!).

Disneyland-Half-Marathon-2013-logo.jpg

Of course, I had to take this challenge one step further. If I’m going to fly all the way out to Disneyland, I might as well go all out, right?

Inaugural-2013-runDisney-Disneyland-Dumbo-Double-Dare-Facebook-Cover-Photo.jpg

Bam! The inaugural Disneyland’s Dumbo Double Dare!

That’s right, I’m taking on the Dumbo Double Dare as well! On Saturday, August 31st I’ll run the Disneyland 10k and on Sunday, September 1, I’ll run the Disneyland Half Marathon. Obviously I’m a big fan for challenges (especially when extra medals are involved), so being able to complete a double dare challenge while trying to complete the coast-to-coast challenge is just icing on the cake.

549322_538756052813971_934404176_n.jpg

Ahhh… I still can’t believe I’m in!! August 31st can’t come fast enough!

Now you’re probably wondering about that Walt Disney World RunDisney race I’ll need to run to earn that coast-to-coast medal. Well, tonight I got out my credit card and pulled the trigger on registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon.

wineanddine.jpg

This will be my first Wine & Dine., it will also be my first half marathon to start at 10:00pm (yikes!). I volunteered for this race back in 2010 (while Derek ran it!) and have always wanted to do it. It should be fun.

Wine and Dine is the week after Ironman Florida, so I’m crossing my fingers I’m at least up and walking on Saturday. I have NO expectations for Wine and Dine. If I have to hobble across the finish line in crutches… so be it. I’m also trying to get Mary to run it. Maybe I can rely on her to carry me across the finish line instead. πŸ˜‰

Have you completed RunDisney’s Coast-to-Coast Challenge? Have you ever run a race as part of a “challenge” series so you could earn an extra medal?

*runDisney is covering my entry fee for the Disneyland Dumbo Dare. I paid for the Wine and Dine entry out of my own pocket. All opinions are my own.*

1 Sana March 20, 2013 at 9:42 pm

My parents took my siblings and I to Disneyland when we were 10. I was too scared to go on the rides and my parents had a blast!

2 Tori K March 20, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I’m signed up for the Wine & Dine as well! I’m really looking forward to it! That’s also my daughter’s birthday weekend so we’re having a huge Disney trip with character dinners and everything.

Have you ever thought about doing the Goofy Challenge? We’re only here in Tampa for another year before we get to move and I’m seriously considering doing the Goofy next January before we leave.

3 Meghann March 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Yes, I want to do it! I’m thinking 2014 is a good year for it too!

4 Chelsea March 20, 2013 at 9:51 pm

We’ve always been a HUGE Disney World family (we’d go every four or five years pretty much the whole time I was in school), but we’ve also been to Disneyland a few times because my mom has family in Calfornia. I’ve been wanting to do the coast-to-coach challenge since I heard it was a thing, but I’m still a LONG way away from that kind of mileage (I did just sign up for my first ever 5K, so one day!). Did you know that you can also do something called the Goofy Challenge (?) that’s basically a medal for running the half marathon AND marathon at the runDisney Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend – talk about a challenge on top of a challenge πŸ™‚
Chelsea recently posted..Does It Still Count as Eating Out if You’re Eating Salad?

5 Heather March 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

woo hoo we are going to have so much fun, so glad you are coming!

6 Caitlin March 20, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Damn girl!!! You’re awesome- this all looks so fun!

7 Kayla March 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Meghann, I usually just follow along without commenting, but my sister is an FSU current student, and when she went to Disney not so long ago, she got one of the ribbons from magicalribbons.com to wear and she LOVED IT and felt so in the Disney spirit. I don’t know the girl who runs it slash makes them, but I didn’t know if you’d ever heard of them and thought if you might want some extra cute gear for your Disney runs you might check it out πŸ™‚ good luck!

8 Meghann March 21, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thanks, Kayla! I’ll check it out!

9 Sara March 20, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I’ll be running those both as well! Maybe I’ll see you there πŸ™‚

10 Lindsay March 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm

So which of those RunDisney race entries did you receive for free? I don’t see a disclaimer explaining what Disney provided to you anywhere in the post…

11 Caroline March 21, 2013 at 3:30 am

Well at a guess, as Meghann mentioned getting her credit card out for the wine and dine 1/2, she paid for that, and Disney paid for the California race. Does that help you?

12 Meghann March 21, 2013 at 7:10 am

Thanks, Caroline, you’r right. runDisney is covering the fee for the Dumbo Dare and I paid the full amount for the Wine and Dine.

13 Lindsay March 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

Caroline, my point was that Meghann very infrequently discloses in a CLEAR way what products and services she has received for free in exchange for a blog post. And yes, I also had to “guess” which entry she paid for and which she received for free. As a reader, I shouldn’t have to guess and should easily be able to tell on the face of the post.

14 Alyssa March 21, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Do you SERIOUSLY care that much?

15 Lindsay March 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Yeah, actually I do because it’s a waste of my time to read sponsored posts. If I could tell up front that it was sponsored, I would have skipped the post. Plus, it’s totally misleading. Oh, and it’s also illegal.

16 Caroline March 21, 2013 at 4:06 pm

But Lindsay, I’m a reader and I was able to tell pretty easily what Meghann had paid for and what was free.
I’ve been reading this blog for quite a while and I’ve never suffered confusion over what was free and what wasn’t.

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm

How fun! I have never been to Disneyland either because I feel the same way…why travel all the way over there for a lesser Disney πŸ˜‰
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Running for Research

18 [email protected] March 20, 2013 at 10:38 pm

This is SO fun! My best friend is an absolute Disney finatic as well!! I could see her doing this! It would be such an adventure! I love the idea of the wine and done half marathon! I would like that one πŸ™‚ I usually don’t know what medal I get in races so I don’t typically sign up for them based on that!
[email protected] recently posted..I am Real

19 stephanie March 20, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Is this a sponsored post?

20 Meghann March 21, 2013 at 7:11 am

runDisney is covering my entry fee for the Disneyland Dumbo Dare, but I paid my own entry for the Wine and Dine.

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Congrats – what a fun experience and challenge ahead of you! Rooting for you and that medal! πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Breakfast

22 Sarah March 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm

meghann! i’m doing the wine and dine half too!! πŸ˜€ let’s meet up and possibly run it together? i run pretty much at the same paces that you do! πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Ice ice baby

23 Meghann March 21, 2013 at 7:07 am

Since Wine and Dine is the week after my Ironman, I’m not sure how much “running” I’ll be doing. But if you want to hobble and take a lot of photos – I’m down! πŸ˜‰

24 Sarah March 21, 2013 at 7:31 am

i’m totally down for that as well! πŸ™‚ i’ll have been on my feet working at the parks all day so i’m sure i’ll be tired. p.s. if they cast me for princess jasmine, i’ll be dressed up as her. πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Ice ice baby

25 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie March 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm

My dream is to run the Disney Princess half marathon in a tutu and tiara. It’s so embarrassing to tell that to people but one day it’s going to happen!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..30 Minute Stuffed Mushroom Recipe

26 Meghann March 21, 2013 at 7:07 am

I’ve done it twice in a tutu and tiara and loved it. I think it’s a great dream πŸ™‚

27 Angela March 21, 2013 at 12:28 am

This is amazing!! I am a huge Disney fan too, I only wish I lived closer to one of them! It is my goal one day to tuna Disney race.
Angela recently posted..Remembering Momo

28 Angela March 21, 2013 at 12:29 am

That would be *run a, not tuna πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Remembering Momo

29 Mary March 21, 2013 at 1:55 am

I would love to run a Disney race. England needs a Disneyland!
All our races start at 10am or later over here. Some as late as 1pm! I guess yours tend to start earlier cos of the heat? I’d prefer ours to start first thing in the morning though. I’m OK with early getups and then celebrating after the race instead of heading pretty much straight to bed!
Mary recently posted..A CRAZY course!

30 Meghann March 21, 2013 at 7:09 am

Yep, they start early because of the heat in Florida. I know start time vary around the U.S., but it’s not unusual for a half marathon or full marathon to start a 6:00am in Florida.

31 Serena March 21, 2013 at 2:19 am

I’ve been to both Disney’s and they are both great! Never run at either though that would be fun. I’ve always thought a zoo run would be fun also.

32 Ashley R March 21, 2013 at 6:37 am

You’ll have a blast! I ran the Tink Half and Princess to get my Coast to Coast this year and it was so worth it! Disneyland is amazing and I had a major PR there despite doing almost everything wrong going into race day. I’ll be at Wine and Dine too! This will be my 3rd year running it and I really like it. The course is totally different from other Disney halfs but they do a great job with it.

33 Michele March 21, 2013 at 6:59 am

I’m so jealous!! I havnt’t been to Disneyland, either (even in a stroller), and would love to do a race there. I just did the Princess Half…if only I could figure out a way to get there in August…
Michele recently posted..My Core is Weak

34 meredith March 21, 2013 at 7:07 am

That is awesome! I am totally jealous. I was closed out of the Disney World Marathon this past January but intend to run it next year! I would love to do the coast to coast!
meredith recently posted..Bright Sides of Disasters

35 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 21, 2013 at 8:01 am

OMG I want to go to Disney so bad!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..My First CrossFit Class

36 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 21, 2013 at 8:03 am

This makes me jealous. I forked out the $300+ to run this race, and I know rD will never invite me to run on their dime since I actually give them constructive criticism. But I’ll see you there hopefully!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Scenes from Epcot’s Flower and Garden Festival

37 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife March 21, 2013 at 8:16 am

this looks like so much fun! definitely something i’ll have to put on my bucket list!

38 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 21, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hooray! I have done C2C twice (2011 with WDW Half and Disneyland Half) and this year (WDW Marathon and Tink Half) but I am so runDisney-obsessed (as you know) so I will be back at it with the Dumbo Dare this year as well πŸ˜€ The medal rocks!!

Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

39 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 21, 2013 at 8:24 am

This is on my running bucket list! To do the coast-to-coast challenge. I did the marathon in January, but the Half in Cali is already sold out. Maybe next year! I love runDisney!

40 PeachyLau March 21, 2013 at 8:28 am

That is a lot of races waiting for you. Good luck with the training
PeachyLau recently posted..Guilty pleasure #1- Celebrity perfumes

41 Molly @ RDexposed March 21, 2013 at 8:34 am

I’ve signed up for a “challenge” too for this summer. Mine will only have Bucky the Badger mascot, no princesses.
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..Get Lucky Half Marathon 2013

42 Kim March 21, 2013 at 8:46 am

The Dumbo challenge (10K + 1/2M) sounds SO much more pleasant than the Goofy (1/2M + M), glad they picked a reasonable combo of races – good luck out there!

43 Amanda Bordonaro March 21, 2013 at 8:59 am

So jealous! I’ve wanted to do a Disney run ever since I started running! Unfortunately being in Canada means I’d be paying for some expensive flights! Although I may try to do the Disneyland one next time I visit a friend I have in Cali! Have fun!!!

44 Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick March 21, 2013 at 9:17 am

I’ve never been to Disney Land or any of those amusement parks. Apparently in Drew’s family, every 7 years they take all the kids in the family to go. I think I might volunteer to go help the kids….yeah right, I’ll be there for my own enjoyment.
Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick recently posted..My First Plane Ride

45 Melissa @TryingtoHeal March 21, 2013 at 9:20 am

omg i had no idea there was a dumbo challenge! I want to do it now, especially since I’m back running!!! I need to look this up asap!!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Side Notes: Fighting Body Image Problems

46 Steph @ Smiles Through Miles March 21, 2013 at 9:22 am

SO jealous! I want to do both the Dumbo Dare and Coast to Coast, but looks like I’ll have to wait for 2014! I am running Wine and Dine though, which I’m super excited for!
Steph @ Smiles Through Miles recently posted..Thursday Things

47 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life March 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

What an awesome challenge Meghann! One day you should make a list of all of your half marathons and your top favorites! I want to run another half-marathon, but really want to go somewhere for an awesome experience too! I would love to do the Disney princess half! The wine and done seems pretty scary to me, rubbing after 10 pm would definitely be a first! πŸ˜‰
Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Spring Fashion Wish List

48 Emily March 21, 2013 at 9:35 am

Such a fun challenge!!! A Disney race is definitely on my to do list. With family in Tampa while I was growing up, I’ve been to Disney World dozens of times, but never Disneyland. I’m interested to see what you have to say about both πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Take Time Tuesday

49 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

Did you see the leak about next year’s “official” Dopey? 10K, Half, and Full. Crazypants!

50 Katie March 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

Woohoo! I’m jealous! The princess half is on my bucket list after reading your review (was that 2 years ago now?) and my mom and I are planning on going to WDW for the Jingle Jungle 5k of Wine and Dine marathon (my brother is in a wheelchair so its the farthest distance we feel comfortable doing with him.) Maybe I’ll see you?!
Katie recently posted..Race Recap: Get Lucky 7k 2013

51 [email protected] March 21, 2013 at 10:14 am

It’s going to be my first trip to Disneyland too!! Im running the 10k w an amazing charity. I can’t wait!! I have a sneaking suspicion Ill LOVE it there!!
[email protected] recently posted..Go Home GPS…You’re Drunk

52 Katie @ running4cupcakes March 21, 2013 at 10:14 am

that sounds so awesome! And I am a sucker for medals too. πŸ™‚ Would you belive that I haven’t been to either Disney Land or World! It is on my to-do list but probably won’t happen until the kids can enjoy it too!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Easter footprint craft

53 Emily N March 21, 2013 at 10:27 am

How exciting. It will definitely be a good year of Disney racing for you!
Emily N recently posted..77. Run 77.

54 Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 21, 2013 at 11:21 am

Wow- an Ironman, Half Marathon and a weekend challenge! Those are some serious races. I can’t wait to hear how you do on all of them!
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..A potential move and my fears around it

55 Kim March 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Wow. I love Disney as well and these races were not
on my radar screen. But is this race in August?
Even at night will it be cool enough for a 1/2?
Yikes I have to admit, I ‘m a cold weather New England runner….
Kim recently posted..Carrots in My Oatmeal

56 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm

So exciting!! You’ll have so much fun, I still want to do the Disneyworld half one day!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

57 Linz March 21, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I did the Coast to Coast Challenge last year by doing Tinkerbell and Wine and Dine. I’m so jealous you’re doing the Dumbo Double Dare, that’s definitely on my Disney To Do list!

58 Kim March 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I am so jeolous! i live in Oregon and we went to WDW February 2012. Had a Blast!!!loved Animal Kingdom, EPCOT and well its Disney so whats not to love, but I have to say, as for the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland CA has it beat! you will love DL as much as WDW! and my dream is to run the WDW Marathon someday or some kind of Disney RAce. good luck! and I look forward to following your adventures!

59 Kristin @ FoodFash March 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Holy smokes, you’re a machine!! So exciting!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Veggie-Filled Turkey Meatloaf

60 Tracy March 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I ran coast to coast last year (princess / DL) and it was awesome. The race at DL is so much different than in FL. I PR’d that race without even trying, the weather is so different than FL and it’s so much less humid that it makes it so much easier! The only bad part is, the parks are only the first 5 miles… after that it’s all boring streets of Anaheim. There are cool people though and lots of cheerleaders / bands cheering you on.. but its an easy course! Good luck!
Tracy recently posted..Filmmaking

61 Molly March 21, 2013 at 2:39 pm

AWESOME, Meghann — this all sounds amazing. You’re a lucky gal (but you’ve worked hard for it!)

Quick, random (DUMB) question: with the steam in a bag edamame, do you eat the pods or just the beans inside?

62 John @ Lose Weight Today March 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

That looks like such a fun challenge! I hope you have the time of your life. Disney World is always an amazing experience πŸ™‚
John @ Lose Weight Today recently posted..Welcome!

63 Rick Stiles March 21, 2013 at 3:24 pm

You’ll love Disneyland! Be sure to plan a couple of days after Dumbo to explore it all. Disney’s California Adventure has finally evolved into a worth while park and deserves a day all by itself.

I’ve run the last two Disneyland Half Marathons and I’d love to get a Coast to Coast medal. That would mean I’d have to run a WDW race early in the year and the DL Half in late summer. I live near Disneyland and the thought of a WDW race doesn’t cross my mind until too late. Aw well, maybe next year!

64 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Wow, a 10k and a half marathon! I love everything Disney – maybe one day I’ll do the wine and dine 1/2!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..Rock N Roll USA Half Marathon

65 Beth @ 990 Square March 21, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I did Coast to Coast last year, and I’m in again this year (and doing the Dumbo Double Dare!). C2C is one seriously awesome medal, and Disneyland is AMAZING! Remember, there are more rides at Disneyland/California Adventure than there are at all of Walt Disney World. And even the rides you think are the same have their own spin! It’s pretty much a Disney lover’s dream (and I’m a serious Disney nut–own Disney Vacation Club, passholder, go at least twice a year).
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 3.20.2013

66 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane March 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I’ve wanted to do a challenge race! I did the Disney Land 1/2 this January & it was fun!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Let’s talk recovery

67 Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road March 21, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I’ve always wanted to do a destination race, and Disneyland is such a great place. The Princess Half Marathon is still on the racing bucket list!
Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road recently posted..How to Kill Your Quads in 15 Minutes

68 April March 21, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I just ran my first full marathon in January – the Disney Marathon- and I’m heading to Anaheim to complete the Coast to Coast Challenge (and Dumbo!!!)

69 Julie @ Runninginaskirt March 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm

WOW!!! SO jealous. This looks like so much fun. Congrats on figuring out how to do something on your bucket list.
Did I mention I’m jealous πŸ™‚
I’m looking forward to reading all about it!!!

70 Maggie March 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I got my coast to coast this past fall at the DL Half (and WDW ’12 Princess). Love the medals, coast to coast medal is so pretty and wonderful, and DL is awesome as well. I hope to do Dumbo Double Dare in the future, couldn’t commit this year as it sold out so fast! Have fun out west, it is awesome, love DL and DCA, and just think, you will run in the park that Walt Disney really walked through. I know I thought of that as I ran through. And the rides out there are awesome!

I will be at Wine n Dine this year too, my first night time race as well, so excited! I will be photo stopping all along the course!

71 kristen @ the concrete runner March 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm

That is my bucket list race – the one race I absolutely have to run before I die! I’ve been to Disneyland more than Disney World and love it! Matt has never been to DW and refuses to even think about going because he loves DL so much! You will love it!
kristen @ the concrete runner recently posted..racing unplugged

72 Sonia the Mexigarian March 22, 2013 at 11:28 am

Two of my friends just completed the Coast to Coast Medal earlier this year. Tinkerbell Half and the Princess Half. Pretty sweet medals πŸ™‚ I haven’t run a Disney race, but I hear the Disneyland ones are pretty good. We need more races at Disneyland! apparently Disneyworld has the majority of them.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Badger Cove Half Marathon hike Race Recap

73 kathy March 22, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I just got my coast to coast challenge medal in February!! I’ll have to admit, the idea of getting extra bling was my main motivation for doing both this year! I did the tinkerbell half in january (CA) and the princess half in feb (FL).

74 CT Cupcake March 22, 2013 at 9:42 pm

you’re going to a run a half, a week after doing the ironman?! that is crazy and not in an omg, how awesome way. I wanted to run a marathon 3 weeks after another marathon and my running coach said that was a terrible idea and setting myself up for injury.
CT Cupcake recently posted..Some days…

75 Andrea March 30, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I’m getting my Coast to Coast medal in DL too! I’ll be doing the Dumbo Double Dare as my first ever challenge! I’ve run in every race weekend since 2011 (except for this upcoming Expedition Everest…I didn’t sign up in time..sob!!!!) so I’ll be getting the medal there. I’m also signed up for Tower of Terror and Wine & Dine Half. The half was my first ever half last year. I actually prefer the later races…I’m more awake.

Oh! And I’m contemplating signing up for the WDW FULL in Jan! So scared to do it. I will have run 1 9 miler, 2 10 milers, and 5 halfs by then but it’s just such a big leap!
Andrea recently posted..Recipe- Flank Steak with Peppercorn Cream Sauce