Planner Time

by Meghann on March 19, 2013

Only one week into my new job and I already realized something was missing – I needed a planner!

I’ve been a Google Calendar girl for years (seriously, that little calendar that syncs so beautifully with my phone was a lifesaver!), but I quickly realized that the google calendar was starting to fail me here. For starters, I needed a paper calendar I could pull out and make quick penciled notes on when planning something out (computers are great, but there’s something about penciling dates in that makes them so much clearer). I also needed something I could easily take to meetings and make quick reference to without pulling out my phone ( I try to leave my phone at my desk for meetings).

My co-worker (and several friends) have Erin Condren planners and are all obsessed. I’ll admit I’ve been tempted to buy one for a while, but the high price scared me away from something I wasn’t 100% sure I needed. When I realized I needed one, it was the fact I wasn’t 100% in love with any of the cover choices that turned me away. Yes, I’m that crazy.

So I took to Twitter and Facebook for advice and someone mentioned checking out Etsy for a good planner. I googled “Etsy + planner” and Plum Paper Designs was the first shop that came up. It was love at first sight! Cute covers, great layout, and room for notes – I was sold! I ordered one on Thursday and it arrived Monday morning. Considering it was a custom cover with my name on – that’s lightening speed!

Umm… I’m already obsessed with it. I can see why everyone loves a good planner.

Now I can quickly look at a calendar for reference without needing to pull my phone out or get online. Everything is laid out, organized, and beautiful.

At check out I was given the option of breaking the days into hourly increments or morning/afternoon/evening. I liked the extra room there was the play around with in the three part days, so I went with that option.

Please note this company did NOT send me a free planner. I just loved it so much when it arrived, that I had to share photos before I marked it all up.

I’ll have to do a follow-up in a couple of months to see how the paper planner is going. I was a paper planner person in high school and college (I miss the old FSU planner they gave to every student), but fell off the bandwagon when I started spending the majority of my day in front of a computer screen. Let’s see if it’s a habit that will pick up steam or if I’ll go back to google calendar. We’ll see.

How do you organize your life? Are you a paper planner person or do you stick to an online calendar source?

1 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 19, 2013 at 11:00 am

I love planners – I have seen really cute ones for teachers that I would love, but can’t bring myself to spend the money on them!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..twins: the details

2 Logan @ Mountains and Miles March 19, 2013 at 11:11 am

I love paper planners, but I find myself changing everything so much, that I stick to Google Calendar. Plus, then I can sync with my boyfriend’s schedule, my workout schedule, my work calendar, and my personal calendars. I also love all the different color-coding that G-Calendar allows you to do and the reminders you can set, which are sometimes a lifesaver!

That IS a really cute planner, though!
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..Liebster Awards!

3 lisa fine March 19, 2013 at 11:11 am

I was JUST looking at these planners the other day, but I’m not sure I can justify the price. I love the custom weekly set up and the covers are cute, but I just don’t know. We’ll see!
lisa fine recently posted..winter is still here in vermont.

4 Jessica March 19, 2013 at 11:12 am

Random question, are you using a coach or formal training plan for IMFL? Im searching for training plans for Augusta 70.3 and was curious if you were using a website or not.

5 Emily March 19, 2013 at 11:13 am

What a great planner! I’ve been a paper planner girl for YEARS and just finally started to understand the beauty of Google calendars syncing with the iPhone. However, I still use my paper one because I don’t fully trust myself to put everything in at a comp, but know for sure my paper planner is correct. And, I’m slightly crazy πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Take Time Tuesday

6 Nicole March 19, 2013 at 11:13 am

I love that planner – very cute! I’m an EC girl so I definitely relate to the desire for the paper planner. It’s much more suitable for work as well than the google calendar!

Can’t wait to see it all marked up in 6 months! πŸ™‚
Nicole recently posted..03.13.13

7 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 19, 2013 at 11:16 am

Very cute planner! I’ll have to check out that company when my Erin Condren planner is used up. You’re right.. they’re pricey!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Scenes from Epcot’s Flower and Garden Festival

8 Maureen March 19, 2013 at 11:17 am

I’m definitely a paper planner person (say that three times fast). I resisted for a long time, but I found it much easier to keep track of things if I actually write them down versus plug them into my Google Calendar.
Maureen recently posted..Inspired

9 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife March 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

I use google calendar now and love it. but I did love the nice little planners they gave us in high school!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Run4Luck

10 Jamie J. March 19, 2013 at 11:20 am

I’m so tickled that you mentioned the FSU planners–I lived by that thing and was so sad when I no longer got one! I’ll admit, since I’ve moved back to Tally to work I’ve thought about swinging in the FSU card area to see if they’re still there.

I’ve had success with Moleskine planners (which I have now), but the one you got looks great.

11 Eliana March 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

I totally understand the need for a paper planner. I am a bit OCD and love making lists so i write everything on paper. In addition, i am a bit weird about my planner needs: It has to be compact so that i can carry it with me at all times, have a hard cover so that it doesn’t get destroyed with all the use and i need one full page per day. It is harder than you think to find one that has all these. I am obsessed with the hard cover Moleskin daily planners and i’ve been using them since 2007!

12 Jane T. March 19, 2013 at 11:24 am

That planner is adorable AND looks super useful! I never thought of going on Etsy for a planner… I’ll be keeping that in mind for the future πŸ™‚
Jane T. recently posted..Emerald Lounge at the Revere Hotel

13 Courtney March 19, 2013 at 11:25 am

I love this planner!! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..Style Spotlight: Windsor

14 Hillary March 19, 2013 at 11:30 am

I have so many planners/calendars, it’s embarrassing. I have a Google calendar (obviously on my computer and phone), a desk calendar, and another calendar at home. I don’t know why I need to be surrounded by calendars at all times, but it makes me feel like I’m not forgetting anything!

15 Allison @ With Faith & Grace March 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

I really love my Erin Condren planner, but this looks like it has a very similar format and it’s even cheaper… I may have to consider it for next year as I will be a broke nursing student…
Allison @ With Faith & Grace recently posted..People I Find Fascinating: Natalie Goldberg

16 Katie @ running4cupcakes March 19, 2013 at 11:36 am

I am paper planner all the way – I just love marking it up with colored pens! It goes everywhere with me. . .
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 3/17/13

17 Corrie @ Blurb Column March 19, 2013 at 11:43 am

I don’t have a paper planner right now, but I do love to use my wall calendar to keep track of things, put stickers on for goal achievements (like working out), etc. I love my outlook calender and am just starting to use the calendar app on my phone/tablet, but I am not in love with it. My outlook calendar is probably my current favorite just because of the color coding and I love to look at it and see all the cool stuff I have going on. Ha!
Corrie @ Blurb Column recently posted..Calorie Labels? Distance Labels? Time Labels?

18 megan March 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

I am IN LOVE with my erin condren planner. I was so obsessed with my 2012 one, that I ordered by 2013 planner in September of lat year. Those 4 months of waiting to use it were brutal!

Dare I share that I color code based on my events, to do’s, my boyfriends, fitness, etc.? Type A, right here.
megan recently posted..What’s On the Menu?

19 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 19, 2013 at 11:58 am

I love planners, and I need a planner to be paper. It sounds weird but I feel like I am more in charge when I personally write it down, instead of typing it in on the computer. I also like to save my planners, and re-read them to see what I was doing certain days in previous years!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Stuffed Peppers

20 Nicole March 19, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Paper planners are a must! It’s too easy to forget to check an app tucked away in your phone. I just use a pad of paper right now, but I will definitely look into plum paper designs, so beautiful!
Nicole recently posted..Paleo Coconut Oil Mayonaise

21 Jessic March 19, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I got a Lilly Pulitzer planner for my birthday and absolutely love it. I love having a digital planner but like you mentioned sometimes seeing things in writing is way better.

22 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer March 19, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I like paper planners more that online planners. It is easier for me to see everything. And I do home inspections for work and the worst is to not have service and you can’t look up the next address.
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..Day drinking

23 Jess @ Just Call Me Janks March 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I’m a paper planner person through and through. While my phone is easy for appointments and reminders, physically writing things down serves me much better than typing it in. Thanks for sharing your find!
Jess @ Just Call Me Janks recently posted..Gone to the Dogs

24 Katie @ A Full Plate March 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I live by my iPhone calendar and Notes. However, it’s different at work…at work I have a paper planner that helps a LOT with things like deadlines. I have it out on my desk all the time so I can easily see what’s coming up. I also use Outlook at work too.
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Social Fresh 2013

25 Sarah @ Chocolate and Pavement March 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Ahh I love that you found Plum Paper, and that we have the exact same design! I absolutely love mine and hope you do too πŸ™‚
Sarah @ Chocolate and Pavement recently posted..St. Patrick’s Day Weekend

26 Army Amy* March 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

The best part of the new school year for me is always picking out a planner. I love writing my to-do’s by hand and then checking them off or scratching them out when they are done.
Army Amy* recently posted..Hey! I Wrote That!

27 Lindsay March 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I’m surprised that if you’ll be traveling a lot for work, they haven’t provided you with a phone, ipad, or laptop that you can bring with you to meetings to update your calendar. I bring my ipad everywhere, and if I don’t have it with me, I update my calendar on my iPhone and it automatically syncs across all of my devices. So much easier than having to worry about carrying around a paper planner! I used to use one religiously in college, but it’s just not practical given how much I travel.

28 meghan March 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm

This planner looks exactly like the Erin Condren one on the inside. Nice find!
meghan recently posted..Florida Beach Halfathon: A PR that lacks its luster

29 Jen March 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I have several calendars for different purposes. I work as a roving teacher so I have a pocket calendar in my purse to keep track of which school I need to go to on a given day. I have another calendar for workouts, one to track food (which I’m not all that dedicated to) and one at my computer desk to keep track of events. Yours is very cute!

30 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane March 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I’m a paper & electronic planner. Since I teach fitness classes I have to stay super organized to know when & where I’m going! I like to have quadruple checks!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Race day gear

31 Barry Wright, III March 19, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’m definitely a computer guy for work – since we need to share our calendars among teams. At home I prefer computer/phone, but do like big wall/desk calendars for planning things out.
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Reversal: A Lesson in Portion Control

32 Sonia the Mexigarian March 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm

i love my paper planner. easy to tuck in my purse and pull out when need be. there is something about seeing the days events planned out without having to scroll through screens. i dunno. i like my paper planner more than any other πŸ™‚
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Badger Cove Half Marathon hike Race Recap

33 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

OMG I’m obsessed with that planner! It’s absolutely adorable! I literally might go buy something similar right now. I use Google calendar and will usually print out a calendar from there, but its hard to get the daily tasks in there too (in print format). I loved my planner in college too and would never have survived without it. I think it’s time I translate that organization into my adult life!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..One Lovely Blog Award

34 Kelsey March 19, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I now need a planner. I’ve been a lifelong schedule rememberer. I have a professional black planner I use as a prop for important meetings or interviews (completely empty). This post made me realize I need a cute, professional planner (will probably fill us with shopping lists and blog ideas). Thanks for the review!
Kelsey recently posted..Foodie Friday: Chicken Fajita Bites Healthy Makover

35 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie March 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I love planners. My fiance has everything listed in Google calender but I need to write things on paper. The planner I’m using right now and loving is Lilly Pulitzer. It’s cute and functional!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..DIY Wedding Invitations

36 Katie March 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I keep a paper planner even though I don’t use it daily. It helps me plan stuff out ahead of time. I like the style that you have, where the daily is broken out so you can make a timeline, I don’t like the planners that a box for the day, I can never make everything fit!
Katie recently posted..Race Recap: Get Lucky 7k 2013

37 peachylau March 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I cannot live without by lab book/diary!
peachylau recently posted..Looks aren’t everything

38 Ja @Athlete Within Ja March 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I love planners. Sometimes I print calendars from Word. Haha. I like to be organized. πŸ™‚

39 Cindy March 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I love it! I use Google calendar and a paper planner. It’s easier and more professional to manage when I am meeting with my advisor, hence the paper planner. πŸ™‚
Cindy recently posted..Pity Party

40 Jasmine, bama + ry March 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm

As an etsy business owner, can I just say THANK YOU for checking Etsy first. Often, people don’t realize they can get so.many.things from Etsy.

I’m going to check them out, because I’ve been thinking about getting one too!

41 UjENA Swimwear March 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Meghann, I LOVE using my planner also. Working for a fashion company I need to keep up with my scheduling, so it is much easier for me to just plan my week out in a planner. Please let me know how you are doing, I am sure you will find it to be an asset to your day to day life. Thanks so much for sharing.

Julia

42 Katie @ Live Half Full March 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I’m a paper planner person for sure! I keep my entire life (both work and personal) written in my paper planner. I keep a to-do list inside as well and have a little folder for important things in the back. At work, I use both an online calender and paper calender. The online one gives me a notification when I need to get up and go to a meeting or get on a call and the paper one gives me a visual reminder of my deadlines! Kind of OCD, but it works for me! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Live Half Full recently posted..Take Time Tuesday

43 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions March 19, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Oh man, I’m all about my paper planner. I lived and DIED by my planner in high school and college, and that’s definitely carried over into the work world. In fact, I’ve never used Google Calendar, and I rarely, rarely use the calendar on my phone…it’s all about the paper planner for me!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Get Lucky 7K Recap

44 Angela March 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Love that planner it’s so cute! I am obsessed with my molskine still though. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Go Green!

45 FiddleDeeAshley March 19, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I love paper planners. I find my life is much more organized when I have things written out on paper.
FiddleDeeAshley recently posted..I Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Watch Food Network

46 Mary March 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Very definitely a paper planner! There’s too many cute ones to resist! I have one for my training, one general planner, a to-do-list book and my teacher’s planner! A whole bag full!
Mary recently posted..Resisting biscuits

47 Erin @ Loop Looks March 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I don’t use one for work (although maybe I should) but I do use one for my blog! I found this one, printed it out, put it in a binder, and it has been a lifesaver! I feel so much more organized, now!
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..Navy: The Dark Horse of My Closet

48 [email protected] March 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm
49 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm

That’s adorable. I am a total paper planner. My boss gives us super cute planners each year as a part of our Christmas gift πŸ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Retail Cardio part 2

50 BroccoliHut March 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm

That planner is adorable!! I am very much a paper person when it comes to planners/calendars–I need something I can carry around with me and won’t run out of battery!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Curried Tofu Salad

51 Alyssa March 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I live and die by my Moleskine daily calendar. I seriously cannot do ANYTHING without it (it’s almost pathetic). My sister buys me one for Christmas every year- best present ever!

I love Plum Paper too though– used them for personalized thank you’s for my wedding and they were fantastic (and so affordable).

52 Amber March 19, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I’ve had two Erin Condren planners and while I do really love their planners I decided to forgo getting one this year because of how pricey they are (plus like an extra $25 to ship to Canada which is half the cost of the planner!) These planners look VERY SIMILAR to Erin Condren though, I just checked them out on etsy and they actually look almost identical to the EC life planner. I’m wondering how they compare in real life.

Right now I’m just using outlook and my iPhone for a calendar but I do miss having a paper planner sometimes.

53 The Many Thoughts of a Reader March 19, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I love that planner! I need that for next year! I have an okay one this year, I looooved my last year one, which was just a cheapy from target. I prefer a paper planner. I need to write things out. I dont do a google calendar at all to my husband’s displeasure!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..5k Training Week 1

54 Renee March 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I love paper calendars…I just like writing things in. Sometimes I write things in just for the sake of writing something. ok that was a little nerdy…

55 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 20, 2013 at 6:10 am

I love paper to do lists. But I’m all about calendar reminders and phone reminders and sending myself emails to do things.

This planner is super cute though!
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..What I ate Wednesday #4

56 Shannon @ Mon Amour March 20, 2013 at 10:19 am

I love planners! It is probably the thing I am most excited for every fall when school starts back up. I want an Erin Condren planner but am scared away by the price too. Maybe in a few years I’ll try it
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Getting Down to Business

57 Steph @ Smiles through Miles March 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

That planner is super cute! I love to use a paper planner, but typcially just use a basic black one I get through work.
Steph @ Smiles through Miles recently posted..Happy Spring!

58 the erincondren.com team March 20, 2013 at 4:20 pm

thanks for including us in your fab post! enjoy!

59 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 20, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I’m definitely a planner person, but I can’t bring myself to spend the money on the Eric Condren planners. I actually got my most recent one at TJmaxx, it’s leather bound and has “gold” edges. It’s pretty nice for 13$!!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..Rock N Roll USA Half Marathon

60 Heather March 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

As a used to be teacher I LOVE a good planner and no joke I was thinking about how much i need one YESTERDAY> totally going to check them out!
Heather recently posted..Blessings

61 Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road March 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm

That planner is too cute! I’ve been a long-time Franklin Covey fan. The system works great for me, but their stuff is hideously expensive. Sometimes I can find refills on Amazon for a bit less.
Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road recently posted..How to Kill Your Quads in 15 Minutes

62 Megan March 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I have and Erin Condren planner and love it. Still not sure if it’s worth the price though. But it is pretty dang amazing.
Megan recently posted..{Virtual Coffee Date 3/23}