Low Battery

by Meghann on March 19, 2013

I committed a major post-race fail on Sunday… I forgot to recharge my Garmin after the race.

My Garmin actually started beeping “low battery” a mile or so into the half. Can you believe it went on to last all 13.1 miles? Those things are tricky. Sometimes mine will say “low battery” and die two seconds later and other times it will say “low battery” and last through a half marathon. Sigh. Either way, it wasn’t turning on for me this morning. I put my Forerunner 10 on to see if I could run with that instead, but quickly discovered the battery was close to dead in that one, too. Whoops. No Garmin for me today.

I had 4 easy miles on my plan today. Two miles out and two miles back with really no need to know my pace. I ran with nothing my on wrists and just did what felt right. My calves were still tight, but loosened up when I started moving. By the way, I hate how dark it is so early in the morning. I know it won’t be this dark forever, but it’s no fun leaving and returning from a run without even a hint of the sun rising over the horizon. Boo.

My breakfast this morning came in a jar.

20130319_074718-1.jpg

Scratch that. Technically I put it in the jar first. Oats in a jar with fresh strawberries and blueberries. I mindlessly ate it while checking up on the blog wold. Multitasking at its finest.

I lucked out with free fruit in the office kitchen this morning.

20130319_113838.jpg

There was a breakfast meeting that ordered too much food and left the rest as a free for all. Sweet. Fresh fruit is so much better than stale donuts.

The packed lunch:

20130319_122912.jpg

• Boars Head Jerk Turkey with swiss cheese, arugula, and honey mustard on an english muffin
  • edamame
  • apple

Remember those steam-in-a-bag edamame I’m obsessed with from Publix? They’re great cold too. I steamed a bag in the microwave this morning and put half in tupperware for lunch and half in another tupperware for a snack or something tomorrow. I ate them cold. They were so easy and a nice change up from the same old, same old sandwich side.

What’s your favorite side items to pack with your sandwich?

1 The Many Thoughts of a Reader March 19, 2013 at 10:38 pm

With sandwiches or wraps I like clementines, strawberries, cucumbers, chips or triscuits because I want something crunchy!

2 Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm

How is sweet little Maddie doing with you and your hubs now being gone all day? Hopefully, she gets to go to doggy daycare once in a while for some fun and company 🙂
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Gap controlled

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 19, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Oranges are one if my favorites to pack with a sandwich, yogurt is great too!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Colorful Colorado!

4 Mrs. Swan March 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I like having fruit myself. Laying off the carbs so no pretzels or the like but I enjoy the afternoon crunch.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..So much for my 2nd 5k.

5 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie March 19, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I’m horrible at forgetting to charge my camera. And then it always dies at inopportune times.
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..DIY Wedding Invitations

6 Chelsea March 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I feel like the same battery thing always happens with my ipod! One minute it’s “low battery” and kaput, the next time it’s “low battery” and lasts for a day and a half…maybe its some kind of weird relativity? Like how a watched pot never boils? Ah, the mysteries of the universe…
Chelsea recently posted..Brinner, Part Deux

7 Angela March 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I love pears or apples, something with a little crunch!
Angela recently posted..Banana "Ice Cream"

8 Erica March 20, 2013 at 12:49 am

It is SO nice sometimes to just run and not think about time/distance etc! Favorite items to pack with a sandwich: carrot sticks, any form of fruit :), applesauce, popcorn, bars, pretzels!
Erica recently posted..TV Segment

9 Kelsey March 20, 2013 at 1:34 am

Great idea! Lunch looks great. I normally bring small dinner leftovers to heat up over lettuce. Turkey pesto sandwiches are another favorite.
Kelsey recently posted..Guest Post: Learning to Ski vs Snowboard

10 Mary March 20, 2013 at 2:12 am

This is always my worry! I’m such a data geek when it comes to running and I love looking back and seeing how I ran when and how far. I would be lost if I didn’t have my Garmin on a run, even if at the moment when I try not to check it whilst running, I know the stats are safe on my wrist ready to transfer on my computer when I get home!

11 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 20, 2013 at 6:18 am

An apple or some grapes frozen or normal.

I hate it if I have forgotten to charge my watch before a run.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..What I ate Wednesday #4

12 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 20, 2013 at 6:42 am

I love edamame! Your packed lunches look a lot like mine. Btw what kind of camera do you use? I’ve been asking everyone. I want to buy a new one!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- PB Protein Mug Muffin

13 [email protected] March 20, 2013 at 7:38 am

Carrots. And apple.

The Kidless Kronicles

14 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 20, 2013 at 8:06 am

My Garmin does the same thing at times, so weird! I love crisp veggies as sides, kinda like a chip 🙂
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Stuffed Peppers

15 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 20, 2013 at 8:19 am

I’ve been on an edamame kick lately too. Ill have to give it a shot cold. I would much rather have fresh fruit at the office over store bought baked goods any day too,
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: Celebrity Edition

16 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane March 20, 2013 at 10:21 am

Carrots, berries, & a handful of nuts. Probably a handful of something fun like Annie’s bunny Grahams too!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Skinnies Fog

17 Sarah @ Yogi in Action March 20, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love the freedom of not worrying about time or pace (well, not that I run, but for swimming). It feels very different when you just go how you feel then when there’s a specific time goal.

I don’t often eat sandwiches, but when I do, I like to have something hot on the side. So I’d have to go with Amy’s Soup as my favourite side.
Sarah @ Yogi in Action recently posted..The most delicious nuts you’ve ever had

18 Kim March 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

I love the crunch of carrots or crisp cucumbers instead of chips with my sandwich. A little hummus works with the veggies too!
Kim recently posted..It’s a Comfort Food Kinda Day…

19 Emily March 20, 2013 at 10:54 am

I usually bring in a contain of hummus and a baggie of chopped veggies to leave in our work fridge for the week so I have a good snack waiting. We have a really big fridge and most people eat out, so it works great!
Emily recently posted..Take Time Tuesday

20 Ashley March 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

I am in such a lunch packing rut! Sides are ALWAYS carrots or cucumbers and a clementine or apple sauce. I’ll be keeping my eye on these comments (and your lunch posts!) to get some new ideas.
Ashley recently posted..I should be a better blogger.

21 Emily March 20, 2013 at 11:10 am

Yikes I agree, running in the dark is tough!
Emily recently posted..4 TRENDY PIECES: FOR $81

22 Maureen March 20, 2013 at 11:19 am

I like something crunchy and salty with my sandwiches, so it’s usually some popcorn or Trader Joe’s roasted plantain chips for me.
Maureen recently posted..Beachbody

23 Elisabeth March 20, 2013 at 11:44 am

Cottage cheese is my lunch side go-to!

24 Amy March 20, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I’m loving that you’re back at work because it’s giving me some fresh lunch ideas. 🙂 Thanks!!

25 Logan @ Mountains and Miles March 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I always pack a serving of fruit (apple, banana, cantaloupe, etc) with my lunch. I also pack a yogurt and usually one other snack to make it through the day.
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..Liebster Awards!

26 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 20, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Usually anything crunchy – carrots, pretzels, peanut butter crackers. But lately I’ve been trying to eat up the rest of my leftover mashed cauliflower, so I’ve been heating it up and eating it as a side dish and even adding it onto my sandwich, and it’s delicious (almost like cole slaw consistency – because I didn’t mash it very well…)! I’m a big fan of odd food pairings, though, so take this with a grain of salt, I suppose… 😀
Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles recently posted..Did’s and Didn’t’s

27 BroccoliHut March 20, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Yum! Your packed lunch looks awesome. My favorite side items are carrots + PB and trail mix.
BroccoliHut recently posted..The Breakfast Equation

28 [email protected] March 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Love fruit with my lunch sandwiches. 🙂 I also really like sun chips but dont do chips that often.
[email protected] recently posted..Go Home GPS…You’re Drunk

29 Jo March 21, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Great workplace lunch tips today.

30 Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road March 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I love doing a massive kitchen sink salad – bed of greens, and whatever leftovers I can find. Some combinations end up hideous, but every once in a while there’s a huge surprise. Plus it’s super quick to throw together in the morning.