New-to-me from Trader Joe’s

by Meghann on March 18, 2013

Happy Monday!!

How was everyone’s weekend?

I’m happy to report after a fun and exhausting weekend of hanging out with my sister and running a half marathon, I was in bed by the glorious time of 8:30 last night. It. Was. Wonderful.

It also took the sting out a bit when my alarm went off at 5:30 this morning. Ouch.

I had CrossFit to get to!

20130318_070546.jpg

Warm-up:

The hip mobility we worked on in warm up was WONDERFUL and exactly what I needed. I’m terrible when it comes to stretching and hip mobility work. I need to get better at it because it feels so good when I take the time to do it. I know I need it, I just need to remember to do it.

Skill/focus:

A 1RM back squat! Finally! I’ve been waiting on this!

I haven’t done a 1RM back squat since I started CrossFit back in October and I really wanted to see what I could do. Unfortunately I didn’t want to push my legs too hard after my half marathon yesterday, so I didn’t really give it all I had. I ended up maxing at 130, but I felt like I could have kept going if I’d given myself the chance.

WOD:

• 8 goblet squats (I used 53# kettlebell)
  • 200m run
  • 8 evil wheels
  • AMRAP in 12min

This was brutal. I ended up doing a little more than 4 rounds. Surprisingly the goblet squats felt better as the time went on, but still hurt. It was a great mix of power and speed.

20130318_070558.jpg

After CrossFit I had exactly one hour to get home, get ready, and head right back out the door on my way to work.

That gives me time to:

1. shower
  2. take Maddie out
  3. make lunch
  4. pack lunch
  5. make breakfast
  6. eat breakfast (today’s pick was yogurt, fruit, and nuts)
  7. check email/ read blogs
  8. get dressed
  9. do hair/make up
  10. head out the door

outfitoftheday.jpg

Today’s outfit of the day – shirt: Loft (40% off sale price – SCORE!), necklace: Target, pants: Old Navy

Today’s packed lunch featured veggies, crackers, hard boiled eggs (my sister reminded me this weekend how easy and delicious hard boiled eggs are!), and edamame hummus.

20130318_123843.jpg

The edamame hummus was a Trader Joe’s find from Sunday. I’d never had edamame hummus before and couldn’t believe what I’d been missing out on! I’m sad I only bought one container, this stuff would have been worth stocking up on!

Speaking of Trader Joe’s finds… I have another one. I also picked up these Peanut Butter & Oat Bars on Sunday.

20130318_150631.jpg

I bought them because the photo on the box reminded of Clif Z Bars. Sure enough, as soon as I opened the package it looked like a peanut butter z bar was sitting in front of me.

20130318_150653.jpg

It tasted like it too, only for about a 1/3 of the price. I used to LOVE z bars, but haven’t had one in a couple of years. Finding the Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter & Oats bars was definitely a throw back treat.

Two more Trader Joe finds that were new to me:

whole wheat pizza dough

Trader Joe’s marinated grilled eggplant and zucchini.

One went on top of the other. (I bet you’ll never guess which one)

Whole wheat pizza with eggplant, zucchini, ham, ricotta cheese, and dried basil served with arugula.

Eh. Wasn’t that impressed with Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough. I think Publix pizza dough is better, the Trader Joe’s stuff was a little bland and boring for my taste. However, I did enjoy the re-heated eggplant and zucchini, I bet those items would be great sandwich additions as well.

There were three Peanut Butter Monster Cookies leftover from Saturday’s ice cream cookie sandwich fest on the counter this afternoon and one of them was staring me down after dinner.

Cookies are extra delicious with vanilla ice cream, right? 😉

Today was a good Monday. It was busy, but productive – how you want every day to be in my opinion.

I might not be going to bed at 8:30 tonight, but I’ll take 10.

Good Night!

1 Cecilia @MommiesRun March 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Gosh how I wished we had a TJ’s here. That pizza looks amazing! And I’m loving that Loft top. Looks great on you!
Cecilia @MommiesRun recently posted..#Motivational Monday, #MoveItMonday, SBBC Week 2, and a WINNER!

2 Kristy @ Southern In Law March 18, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Oh how I wish we had a trader joe’s in Australia! So many awesome things (though, that’s probably good for my bank account ;P)
Kristy @ Southern In Law recently posted..Recipe: Single Serve Brownie

3 Megan @ The Delightfull Dash March 18, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Those PB and Oat bars look really good. Might have to pick those up on my next TJ outing!

I must say that you look gorgeous. I was reading your story on your About page and your transformation is amazing. Very inspiring to me as I restart my own fitness journey!
Megan @ The Delightfull Dash recently posted..The Words We Speak

4 MrsSwan March 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I wish we had a TJ here. :/
MrsSwan recently posted..18 + 1 marbles

5 Nicole March 18, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Love the top and necklace combination, very cute! Also, I’ve been meaning to post, have you considered skirts to avoid some of the pant fitting issues?
Nicole recently posted..Numbers game

6 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 18, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I’ve been in a work clothing rut lately so I’m really enjoying all of these OOTD pics 🙂 that shirt is adorbs!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..8 things that you will always find in my kitchen

7 Christine @ BookishlyB March 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I love those TJ bars! I quit buying them for some reason (sugar?) but they’re definitely a good treat. I love their store brand. I recently found super cheap Vitamin E oil there for a scar I want to fade and was so psyched to get the bottle for $3.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..By the Book- Piece of Cake

8 Chelsea March 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I just wish the TJs in our area was closer! Its notimpossible but its definitely a bit of a special occasion. I love the cutouts on that shirt, and am amazed how much you’re able to (have to) get done in an hour!
Chelsea recently posted..Taking on The Stand

9 Megan March 18, 2013 at 11:44 pm

LOVE your OOTD and your hair looks super cute!
Megan recently posted..What’s On the Menu?

10 Alison March 19, 2013 at 12:02 am

It is very possible those are Clif Z bars — part of the secret to Trader Joe’s success is buying products directly from manufacturers and packaging them under their own private label at a MUCH lower price. Their pita chips are made by Stacy’s, their mac & cheese made by Annie’s, etc. Great way to save money and still eat quality products!

Sounds like you are getting into the swing of working outside of the home again. I know office dwellers often give work-at-homers a hard time about how “easy” they have it, but it is interesting to note how accomplished you feel about getting things done in the morning now that you need to be in an office — this is the second post where you’ve listed all of the steps of your morning routine (including basic grooming), and I’m sure most of your readers don’t even think of these as accomplishments to speak of because we have to do these all the time!

11 Laura March 19, 2013 at 12:22 am

cute work outfit! I just started packing a lunch again rather recently, also. You’re healthy lunches inspired me to pack mine the night before so I would make good decisions 🙂 Thanks for that! yay for healthy eats!
Laura recently posted..Success and coffee lovin’

12 Serena March 19, 2013 at 1:42 am

Im craving humus now.
Serena recently posted..Weekly recap

13 PeachyLau March 19, 2013 at 3:44 am

TJ stuff always look amazing, I wish we had it in the UK
PeachyLau recently posted..Looks aren’t everything

14 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 19, 2013 at 4:04 am

Edamame hummus sounds really yummy! I wonder if you could homemake it easily enough? I love both edamame and hummus so combined would be great.
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Easy Lentil Soup

15 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife March 19, 2013 at 5:36 am

love that shirt! and that pizza looks great!

16 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 19, 2013 at 6:47 am

You did all that in an hour!? Good job! Edamama hummus is my favorite
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Paleo Protein Pancakes

17 J March 19, 2013 at 7:11 am

Babe, you look so gorgeous in the white top!

18 Hillary March 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

Hey Meghann!
Just a suggestion, if you’re feeling pressed for time in the mornings after you work out: I have to be at work crazy early and like to sleep as late as possible, so I always pack my breakfast (which I eat at work) and my lunch the night before, after I eat dinner. I know these tasks only take a few minutes, but I love just waking up in the morning and knowing those meals are already packed and ready for me to grab!
Hillary recently posted..Getting Pumped

19 Logan @ Mountains and Miles March 19, 2013 at 7:44 am

I always snag stuff at the Loft’s super sales (which happen like every few weeks, I feel like).

The Trader Joes herb pizza dough is really good – we like it much better than the whole wheat.
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..Liebster Awards!

20 Caitlin March 19, 2013 at 7:54 am

Love that shirt you’re wearing today!
I don’t know why I have yet to try the eggplant and zucchini- those are two of my fav’s and I agree that they’d be awesome on a sandwich.
I agree about the pizza dough- I’ve had better!

21 Carissa @Fit2Flex March 19, 2013 at 8:50 am

1. How do you do so much in an hour in the am? Sheesh I must move at slug pace!
2. I need a trader Joe’s trip ASAP! How does Orlando not have one?
Carissa @Fit2Flex recently posted..Florida Beach Half Marathon Recap

22 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy March 19, 2013 at 8:58 am

That pizza looks really really good. For lunch yesterday I ate an entire eggplant… seriously. Sauteed with an onion and tomato.
I love seeing your outfits by the way.
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..I Want To Go Outside!

23 Kathleen@ New Version of Me March 19, 2013 at 9:09 am

Love your shirt! And grilled eggplant… I have some in the fridge I need to use!

24 Kim March 19, 2013 at 9:10 am

Great outfit! It’s fun to see how you put together office outfits – that was a big challenge with my first job, knowing how to dress after 4 years in college with t-shirts & jeans.

25 Steph @ Smiles through Miles March 19, 2013 at 9:15 am

I NEED TJ’s to open up in Orlando! Constantly jealous of all the fun stuff other people are enjoying from them!
Steph @ Smiles through Miles recently posted..Disney Princess Half Marathon: Things I Learned

26 Melissa March 19, 2013 at 9:21 am

Out of all the delicious finds at Trader Joe’s, the edamame hummus is my absolute fav! I stock up on it like nobody’s business!
Melissa recently posted..With a short work week (cheers to braving my commute for only two more days!) standing in the way of…

27 [email protected] March 19, 2013 at 9:31 am
28 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane March 19, 2013 at 9:53 am

I tried edamame hummus for the 1st time last week at the Natural Products ExpoWest. It was soo good! Happy to know TJ’s carries it!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Race day gear

29 Emily March 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

That shirt from Loft is so cute! I’m really liking your packed lunches. I pack my lunch every single day, so it can get kinda boring. Thanks for some inspiration to switch it up! 🙂
Emily recently posted..Take Time Tuesday

30 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 19, 2013 at 10:40 am

I’m gonna have to look out for those PB oat bars from TJ’s, they look delicious! I haven’t seen them yet, hope I find them this week! I’m obsessed with TJ’s.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Blogger Fail

31 Meredith March 19, 2013 at 10:53 am

I make pizza all of the time using the Trader Joe’s whole wheat crust – I would love to try the one from Publix, too bad we don’t have a Publix here. I love Publix, always go there when I am in Florida!
Meredith recently posted..I Was a Guest on Dr. Oz!

32 meghan March 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I felt the same way about the whole wheat pizza dough there. People had told me it was a must buy, but I think those were people who don’t have Publix. The Publix whole grain pizza dough is definitely my favorite. The TJs got a little soggy on me too.

33 Olivia March 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hey!
I’ve been meaning to ask u this for a while but I always forget..
Have u ever considered a local blogger/reader meet up every once in a while?
We could all meet at a trail and run together or go find a yoga class & then go to lunch or breakfast. That would be so much fun!!!
I don’t have that many active friends so it would be awesome to meet ppl from around the Tampa Bay area.
Let us know =)

34 FiddleDeeAshley March 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I miss Trader Joe’s so much. We’re actually considering driving over an hour to the closest one so we can stock up on our favorites!
FiddleDeeAshley recently posted..I Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Watch Food Network

35 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 19, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Excellent food finds! I’m intrigued by this edamame hummus! I’ve fallen into a bit of slump with hummus flavors (roasted garlic, roasted red pepper, regular hummus, etc.) and would love to give this a try…

That pizza you made looks delicious too 🙂
Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles recently posted..It’s Friday & I Am Feeling Good!

36 Kristin March 19, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I love Publix’s pizza dough! I have yet to find another anywhere that I love so much!
Kristin recently posted..For the Love of Dogs!

37 Molly March 20, 2013 at 10:25 am

LOVE your work outfit! You look so cute!

38 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

I looove TJ’s jalapeno cilantro hummus. Also, I think their herb crust is way better than the wheat!

Just tried CrossFit for the first time… the 8 min WOD kicked my tush!

39 Allison Schnake March 21, 2013 at 11:38 am

How do you get ready so quickly in the morning? 1 hour to get all of that done??? What’s your secret??? 🙂

40 Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road March 21, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I love that necklace!

I am in awe of how much you can get done in the morning. When I try to do all that (+ get baby up, changed, and fed) it takes me 3 hours and that’s without catching up on blogs (which I am doing now, from the weekend. Hence the barrage of comments!). I know this because I do time studies on my routine trying to figure out what I can cut out to make it faster! Ugh, I feel so defeated.
Emily @ Emily Rocks the Road recently posted..How to Kill Your Quads in 15 Minutes