Skillet Pasta Bake

by Meghann on March 13, 2013

Hellloooooo

I took my very first 6:00am CrossFit class today. I’m usually in the 7:00am class, but because of my new schedule I had to drop back an hour. I’m actually more sad about leaving my friends in the 7:00am class than having to get to CrossFit an hour earlier. Those 7:00am CrossFitters were good peeps! I’m going to miss them.

Luckily, the 6:00am crew is awesome as well. Usually there’s a bit of an overlap between 6:00am and 7:00am classes so I already knew a few folks in the class. They were all extremely welcoming and made me feel as if I had been training with them this entire time.

Today’s class was a fun one.

20130313_070309.jpg

First we worked on “Vestibular Skills.” Basically it was just an excuse to break the mats out and do some forward rolls. Our coach had rediscovered the term at a CrossFit Kids clinic where they have the kids do rolls before class and wanted to introduce the concept at the box.

Honestly it was a lot of fun. We took turns doing rolls, then showing off some advanced skills. I did a cartwheel and front walkover for the first time in years. Let me tell you, just whipping those moves out was not as easy as it used to be. I could feel every muscle pull as I went over. Ouch. Getting old sucks.

After our skills, we had a partner WOD.

• 3 sumo deadlifts @ 85% 1 RM
  • 50M farmers carry (53# women)
  • 7 C2B (chest to bar) pull ups
  • 10 box jumps
  • Complete 10 total rounds (1 works, 1 rests)

I was partnered with a girl who had roughly the same deadlift weight as me so we could share a bar. She started the WOD first, then I started when her first round was complete. We went back and forth until we had 10 total (or 5 each).

I was proud of myself for doing the RX weight for the farmers carry (we carried a 53# kettlebell in each arm to 25m and turned around). It definitely slowed me down, but it was a good challenge. Now if only I could have done the c2b pull ups without a band I could have RXed. I’m hoping we’ll devote a class to kipping in the future because I have zero kip to my pull up and that seems to be the ticket for a good c2b. sigh.

20130313_070319.jpg

I raced home to take Maddie out, shower, and make breakfast.

Today’s pick was quick since I was running late. Two toasted whole wheat english muffins with peanut butter, pumpkin butter, peach slices, and granola.

It got the job done!

I’m starting to get in a groove with my new job. I’m working on a few fun projects that are already keeping me super busy during the day – I love it!

Yesterday I brought a bag of nuts to work to stash at my desk for snacks. I’m not really a person who continually snacks through the day, instead I like to have strategically placed mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks to get me to the next meal. I had a handful of nuts before my 10:00am meeting.

20130313_095100.jpg

My co-worker brought delicious homemade white chocolate craisin scones to the meeting (which she made herself this morning!) and I happily nibbled on a scone that was offered to me. I never have a problem saying yes to freshly baked homemade treats!

The meeting carried us to lunch time and I enjoyed my tupperware themed meal outside (well, until the wind forced us inside. it was nice while it lasted).

20130313_123557.jpg

I had leftover chicken chili tacos.

20130313_123809.jpg

In order to keep the tacos fresh I packed the leftover chicken chili separate from the tortillas and arugula/feta cheese toppings. When lunch time came around I reheated the chicken chili and added the shredded chicken to the shells with the arugula and feta. It was an easy way to repurpose the leftover chili so I wouldn’t have chili two days in a row. πŸ™‚

My mid-afternoon snack:

20130313_172928.jpg

I have to say, this one wasn’t my favorite. A little too predictable. Was definitely a bigger fan of the key lime and coconut Chobani Fiips.

And this was my super-easy dinner.

I was kind of stumped on what to do with ground beef for dinner, so I got out the skillet and just started winging it. What I ended up with was a skillet pasta dish that my husband went back for thirds on. It was loosely based on a baked ziti dish.

Ingredients:

• 1 lb ground beef
  • onion
  • garlic
  • oregano
  • basil
  • s&p
  • zucchini
  • spinach
  • ricotta cheese
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • whole wheat pasta
  • marinara sauce

First I browned the ground beef with onions and garlic

Then added the zucchini and spinach and cooked until the veggie were soft.

While the meat and veggies were cooking, I combined the ricotta and cheddar cheese in a small bowl.

I was also boiling the pasta. Once the pasta was done, I added it to the skillet with the cheese and marina sauce.

I mixed everything together, grated some parmesan on top, and threw it in the oven for 25 minutes at 375.

Dinner time!!!

I’m not a huge pasta fan, but my husband is (a BIG one) so I do make it on the rare occasion. You should have seen the huge smile on his face when I pulled the pasta out for dinner, he was like a little kid on Christmas morning.

I only like wheat pasta and I only like it when it has a ton of other stuff so you really don’t taste the pasta. This dish was full of meat, veggies, and cheese – yum. Definitely better than just noodles and boring tomato sauce.

The dish was pretty good. Of course, anything with ricotta cheese and tomato sauce is going to be good. You really can’t go wrong with those two additions to any meal.

I had two peanut butter Girl Scout cookies for dessert.

Now I have some quality snuggling time to make up with this face.

maddie.jpg

(and the guy snoring behind her!)

Good Night!

1 Mrs. Swan March 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I cannot wait to hear about your new job and all the stuff you will get to be doing with that company. I am sure it will be super exciting especially with the traveling. Gotta love the internet and the lack of secrets. πŸ™‚
Mrs. Swan recently posted..I have been curious

2 Annette @FitnessPerks March 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I love whole wheat pasta–it’s so delicious!!

3 Elisabeth March 14, 2013 at 12:01 am

Love that pic of Maddie!

4 Reenie March 14, 2013 at 12:09 am

How is Maddie adjusting to your new work schedule?

5 River March 14, 2013 at 3:09 am

I love whole wheat pasta! Sounds like you have settled into your job pretty quickly. πŸ™‚

6 Angela March 14, 2013 at 3:43 am

The consensus on the strawberry Chobani seems to be the same for everyone. Can’t wait to try the coconut one though!
Angela recently posted..Think Big.

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 14, 2013 at 5:34 am

I’m going to have to try those new Chobani flips, though I haven’t seen them in my area yet! πŸ™
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

8 Allison @ Life's a Bowl March 14, 2013 at 6:19 am

I still haven’t tried the Flips but I haven’t had a Cho that I haven’t liked… That skillet sounds tasty – I always forget how easy cast iron pans are, from stove to oven to done!
Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Littlest Things, Biggest Deals

9 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 14, 2013 at 6:53 am

I’m not a huge pasta fan either but I would make that!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- A Paleo Day

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 14, 2013 at 7:00 am

Yum! Im a sometimes pasta fan and this looks tasty. plus im on a ricotta kick lately. I hope one day I can workout before work (I have to be at work way too early to make it work now) so I’m stuck being an evening work outer.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Apple Sriracha Salsa

11 melissa a March 14, 2013 at 8:20 am

Your lunch box is adorable! where did you get it?!?

12 amyt March 14, 2013 at 11:49 am

It looks like it came from a 31 party/book….my daughter has one – they have some AWESOME stuff!!!

13 Meghann March 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Yep. that’s where my MIL ordered it from.

14 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

That dish looks awesome! I am going to try it with brown rice pasta! Great use of ingredients in the kitchen!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Running and Movies

15 Courtney March 14, 2013 at 9:01 am

That pasta bake looks incredible, I think my husband would eat the whole thing!! Hey, did you ever pick a winner for the Dasani bike?

16 Meghann March 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Yes, the winner has been contacted and emailed.

17 Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health March 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

You really are a morning person! Do you get tired during the day at work now that you are back to the 9 to 5? I seem to always get tired in the afternoon, that’s when I go downhill. My workouts are always at night and I’m wondering if an early workout helps keep you feeling awake longer throughout the day.
Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health recently posted..Fail, Win

18 Meghann March 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I’ve found I start to drag around 3:00ish, but a mid-afternoon snack always picks me up.

19 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

That skillet bake looks delicious! I love pasta so I make dishes like this all the time.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Currently

20 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 14, 2013 at 9:35 am

Wow this is my first visit to your blog and I love it. The dinner recipe looks great as did your lunch.

They’ve just brought Chobani to Australia. I tweeted them and they said they should be bringing the flips out here this year (with any luck).
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Confessions #1

21 Emily March 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

I can’t wait until I can eat lunch outside again! 35 degrees is just not cutting it πŸ˜‰ It’s the best part about summer working in an office. Glad you’re getting into the swing!
Emily recently posted..Thoughts and Questions

22 Sami March 14, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’m not going to lie… I’m pretty ecstatic to see another “packer” in the blog world. It will be nice to steal some ideas from you because I get in such a slump with easy to pack salads to eat at my desk! Thanks for helping me keep things fresh and exciting in my lunchbox πŸ™‚

xo.
Sami recently posted..Wonderful Wednesday

23 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 14, 2013 at 9:54 am

I loveee baked pasta skillets, this one looks so good! And yay for re-purposing dinners into different lunches, definitely keeps things interesting and it always feels good to use up leftovers.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

24 Ashley March 14, 2013 at 10:24 am

I need to get my hands on this coconut + key lime flip you speak of ASAP!

It is so impressive that on your first week back to work you are already making it to 6a workouts.
Ashley recently posted..We need to go grocery shopping

25 Amy March 14, 2013 at 10:26 am

That pasta dish looks amazing!!

26 Emily N March 14, 2013 at 10:33 am

Your skillet dish honestly looks delicious! I really should get a little more adventurous in the kitchen.
Emily N recently posted..Recovering Body from a Late Night

27 Danielle March 14, 2013 at 11:27 am

That pasta dish that delicious! That’s a recipe I’d totally try!

28 Meredith March 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

I am so ready for peach season! That breakfast looks delicious
Meredith recently posted..Frozen Treats!

29 Emily March 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

Yum that pasta dish looks awesome!
Emily recently posted..4 TRENDY PIECES: FOR $81

30 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Congrats on such a successful “wing-it” dinner! It looks fabulous. I haven’t had a good pasta meal is such a long time.
Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles recently posted..Thankful Thursday v. 1.0

31 Mallory March 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm

As an Italian, I simply don’t get people who don’t like pasta?!? lol!! looks delicious πŸ™‚

32 Melissa March 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I’m like your husband – I LOVE pasta. I try not to make it too often though. This looks really yummy and easy. I must pin it!
Melissa recently posted..Creating a Blog Planner

33 [email protected] March 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

So glad your job is going great! That skillet meal looks like a must try….I’m a huge pasta fan!
[email protected] recently posted..Grocery Store Run (Part One)

34 Christine March 14, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Can you give the amounts of the ingredients you used.

35 beka @ rebecca roams March 14, 2013 at 7:58 pm

GREAT pasta recipe! I am definitely going to give something similar a try asap. I have a nice new cast iron grill skillet that needs to be put to use and get seasoned πŸ˜‰
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Playlist Thursday – I just can’t help it!

36 Laura March 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm

That pasta bake looks delicious! Any way you can give exact measurements? I would love to make it but I’m not very good at winging it! πŸ™‚

37 BroccoliHut March 14, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’m married to a BIG pasta fan too–I make some pasta dish every week to satisfy his cravings πŸ™‚ This week it was the pasta salad recipe I just posted.
Your breakfast is making me want summer to get here ASAP–I love juicy summer peaches!

38 Sue Kauffman March 14, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I am also a fan of the mid morning and mid afternoon snack. I usually buy a box of Pure Protein bars and keep them in my desk. I eat half for lunch and half at 3 p.m. when I am done teaching for the day. Wouldn’t make it through six classes a day without snack time. I am on my feet all day long.
Sue Kauffman recently posted..What’s in Your Workout App Collection?