The First Day

by Meghann on March 12, 2013

Wow!

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments and support in my decision to return to a “9-5.” I am beyond humbled and thankful to have so many amazing readers. I’m really excited about this new chapter in my life and I’m happy to hear you guys are, too!

I sort of giggled when a handful of you asked for a few “office fashion” posts. The office I worked in when I lived in Orlando was very casual. Actually, you can look back at a few of my old office-related posts HERE to see what I’m talking about. We focused on software development so there were a lot of jeans, shorts, and flip flops. It was actually pretty awesome.

When I transitioned to working from home, the little bit of an office wardrobe I did have faded to the very back of my closet and slowly went out of style (honestly, I’m not even sure how “in” the clothes were to begin with). I tried to wear “real” clothes during the day while self employed, but the truth is I mainly lived in yoga pants and comfy clothes. Nothing in my closet required dry cleaning and buttons and zippers became a thing of the past.

When I landed my first job interview last month, I grabbed Mary and made a beeline to the mall for a suitable interview outfit.

That’s where this outfit came from:

poweroutfit.jpg

Pants: The Loft, Shirt: Target, Blazer: Target, Shoes: Kelly & Katie from DSW

I’ve never owned a patterned pair of heels in my life, but when I saw these on the sales rack (for $22!) I knew I had to have them. Live a little, right?

7ad7860a7cfd11e2983d22000a9f199e_7.jpg

Of course, now I’m totally obsessed. They’re officially my new power shoes! I wore them to the office yesterday, but quickly realized EVERYONE had on really cute flats. Not a high heel in sight! Noted. Must get cute flats. πŸ˜‰

Anyway, when I was officially offered the position I totally panicked about my lack of an office wardrobe. In the ten days I had to prep before starting the job, I spent three of them at the mall (or online shopping) trying to piece a new wardrobe together. I did okay finding some shirts I love, but I’m still lacking in the pants department. My muscular thighs are not digging this new skinny pants trend that seems to be everywhere, nor does my short body work with the wide legged pants either (wide pants make me look about 5 inches shorter than what I already am). Oddly enough, I’m a fan of the new high water trend (or whatever the technical term is?).

The Loft and I seem to get along most of the time, so a lot of my new clothes came from there. I also have had some success with Gap and Old Navy. I know everyone raves about great finds at TJ Maxx or Ross for the office, but I’ve never had any success there. Unless I’m looking for something ultra specific, those types of stores overwhelm me.

When I went to my closet to get dressed yesterday, it felt like the first day of school all over again trying to pick the perfect “first day” outfit to wear. I’ll admit it was fun dressing up in “real” clothes, rather than just pulling on a pair of questionable leggings off the floor.

Here’s what I came up with.

ae1b82ae8a9111e2a23322000aaa04c3_7.jpg

Pants: The Loft (yes, the same ones from my interview and I love them to pieces), Shirt: The Loft, Cardigan: American Eagle, Necklace: Bama + Ry (my good luck charm πŸ˜‰ ).

I felt sophisticated and ready to take on the world. Now I just need to keep that feeling going with my outfit selections for the rest of the week. πŸ˜‰

The first day on the job was great yesterday. I spent the first half going over paperwork with HR and getting set up on a laptop. Business cards with my new name and title on them had already been printed and were waiting for me on my desk. It’s the first business card I’ve had with Anderson-Russell on it and seeing my full name like that made me smile.

I had lunch with my new team at a local restaurant and ordered a chopped chicken salad, which was perfect. I was tempted to get a heavier dish, but I knew I would feel heavy and weighted down the rest of the day. The chopped salad was light, refreshing, and exactly what I was craving.

Now that I have my bearings down, I’m going to start stocking my desk with snacks and other food essentials to get through the day. I’m brining my first packed lunch today (totally picked everything out last night before I went to bed πŸ˜‰ ).

I still have a lot to figure out in my new role, but so far I’m enjoying the learning process. I know it’s going to be hard to keep my job a secret for long (especially when I start traveling), but I wanted to keep it private for the time being. Honestly, I think you guys will love learning about my new position as much as I do, but I need to figure it out for myself first. Patience. πŸ™‚

Oh, and last night’s dinner was the ultimate lazy meal. Derek had a business dinner so I was on my own and didn’t have the slightest desire to cook. However, I did try a Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Hummus recipe I’d been dying to try (does pulling the food processor out count as cooking?)

20130311_185120.jpg

I really hate to say it, but I wasn’t impressed with the cookie dough hummus. It was okay the first few bites, but I think the huge glob I put on my plate was too much. It’s definitely better in smaller servings. I’ll remember that if I’m ever tempted to make it again.

Alright, time to get dressed and start a brand new day. I’ve already knocked out 5 miles worth of intervals (I’m going to have to get used to running in the dark again) and am about to prep dinner in the crock pot. Life is good. πŸ™‚

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 12, 2013 at 7:12 am

I also have the muscular thighs-no pants fit issue (hello cycling/lifting/ironman training!). So I just wear skirts to work.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cocova January Sample Day

2 Meghann March 12, 2013 at 7:20 am

Where do you find the majority of your skirts? I tried one on at Loft and thought it was too formal.

3 Sarah March 12, 2013 at 7:32 am

I wear mostly skirts to work too. I have picked mine up at a variety of places. My favorite pencil skirt is from The Limited, but I’ve also had great success at Ross and Target. I tend to go to the Loft and Target for my fun and printed skirts.
Sarah recently posted..Fly by Weekend

4 Jessica March 12, 2013 at 8:36 am

Definitely try the limited!

5 Victoria (District Chocoholic) March 12, 2013 at 7:46 am

I’ve gotten some there, though what they have varies season to season, Calvin Klein makes some good ones that you can get at Macy’s. Check out Athleta and Title 9, they have some nice skirts, too. And from any store, basic A-line skirts are about perfect for muscular thighs and a small waist.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cocova January Sample Day

6 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 12, 2013 at 9:01 am

Me too….skirts and dresses are my M.O.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Recap: #VAisforrunDisneylovers

7 deva by definition March 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm

My favorite skirt was a gift from my bridesmaids last spring – it’s from White House | Black Market and if I had bought it I would consider it a splurge. My thighs are muscular and dress pants and I dont’ always get along. New York and Company often has decent sales on pants, too, and their pants are some of my most-often worn slacks.
deva by definition recently posted..Keeping Up with the Joneses

8 Megan March 12, 2013 at 7:22 am

I keep getting sucked into The Loft, too. I LOVE them.. my credit card maybe not so much. Oops?

I’ve found that H&M had some really cute stuff in their business line, too, if you have one near you to check out. I have some great pieces that I love from them!

Happy second day! πŸ™‚
Megan recently posted..Race Report: Junior League Atlanta Shamrock ‘n Roll 10K

9 Meghann March 12, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I’ve tried H&M, but haven’t had a lot of success. They’re another store that overwhelms me.

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 12, 2013 at 7:32 am

oh gosh, office wardrobes and I do not get along super well, I hope I find a job somewhere a little more creative than a typical law office because I am NOT a suit kind of girl! Dresses and skirts/tops are more my style.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..HIIT Treadmill Running

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 12, 2013 at 7:44 am

I used to HATE stores like TJ Maxx and Ross… but recently I’ve come around. I have to go by myself and it’s best if it’s my only stop for that shopping trip (otherwise I get burned out). I will search through all the racks and head into the dressing room a zillion times! I seriously have to pump myself up for these trips and be in the right mood, but I’ve recently replaced all my dress pants there and they have great dresses! My Ross carries beautiful Calvin Klein dresses, some dressy, some not so much… all work appropriate and simple. Dresses = the ultimate outfit for when I don’t feel like putting together an outfit. I actually have a lot of business casual dresses from Target. I also second the H&M comment from above!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..How to Prep for Your Whole30!

12 Mary March 12, 2013 at 7:51 am

So happy for you, sister! You seem to be more content and less stressed already! For some cute patterns and some fun pieces, I love NY&Company. Also, Banana Republic has some cute office clothes and they are all into the ankle pants and fun colors right now for spring and summer!

13 Meghann March 12, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I need to head to the local outlets so I can check out Banana Republic! πŸ™‚

14 Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health March 12, 2013 at 8:01 am

Your outfits are so cute! I would definitely recommend H&M, I bought half of my work wardrobe from there lol They always have new stuff coming in so I don’t know what’s available now, but you should definitely take a look. You can find cute stuff that isn’t too pricey, and they have flats too πŸ™‚ I bet it feels good getting dressed up again, one of the funnest parts of being a girl!
Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health recently posted..Weight Loss Part 3: Where I am Now & Where I Want to Go

15 Courtney March 12, 2013 at 8:02 am

Congratulations Meghann!! I love that you’re already falling into a great routine. Your readers are all really proud of you!! Can’t wait to read about your training for the IM with a fulltime work schedule! Good luck on your 2nd day! πŸ™‚

16 Lynna March 12, 2013 at 8:04 am

I meant to weigh in yesterday on your decision post. Hurray for you for staying flexible and taking advantage of opportunities that come your way. I worked in offices all my working life and it isn’t all bad. I wish you happiness!
Lynna recently posted..Out my back door…

17 Molly @ RDexposed March 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

Working full time in the winter = always chasing the sun.
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..Snowflaked Run

18 Lindsay March 12, 2013 at 8:14 am

JCrew all the way. The factory also has cute stuff at a cheaper price point though the quality isn’t always the same. I have to comment on your shoes though…I would just hang them up and never wear them again. They are so unprofessional! You’re lucky you got this job wearing them. Count your blessings and do t chance it again!

19 Maureen March 12, 2013 at 8:18 am

I’m so with you on the pants dilemma. I’ve had the worst time this past year finding work appropriate pants that work for me. I actually found some at Gap that I like, and I love Loft and Banana Republic, but I try to wait for their 30/40% off days that both seem to do at least once a month so I can get more bang for my buck.
Maureen recently posted..Motivation Monday

20 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. March 12, 2013 at 8:23 am

I love Express for dress pants! The Limited also has some great stuff.
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..twosday, volume 12.

21 Lindsey March 12, 2013 at 8:29 am

Try a wrap dress. Dressy, but comfortable. Usually require no ironing. Just watch for wind gusts (a problem in my downtown office two blocks from the Mississippi River).

22 Katy Widrick March 12, 2013 at 8:39 am

There are only a few days that I really have to dress up for work — I normally wear jeans and a nice shirt — so I actually get excited when I have an excuse to do my hair, makeup and find a cute outfit. πŸ™‚

You look great in this one, and thank goodness for friends you can just grab and shop with, right?
Katy Widrick recently posted..My Secret Skill: ’80s and ’90s Song Lyrics

23 Ebernst March 12, 2013 at 8:42 am

Regular pants don’t seem to work well on my body type right now and so I only wear skinny ankle pants! Check out the limited! Their exact stretch pants are pretty amazing and come in like a gazillion colors.

Otherwise, target is pretty much my most favorite story for finding cute staples, as well as, trendy work clothes on the cheap. Also, take a hint from the song “thrift shop” and see what you can find. (plus try shopping in a thrift shop without singing that song in your head!)

Good luck with the new job and the new wardrobe! πŸ™‚

24 Elisabeth March 12, 2013 at 8:43 am

The only thing TJMaxx is good for is housewares, in my opinion! Oh, and I’m glad to be a scrubs-wearer for my career. No fancy office clothes here πŸ˜‰

25 Michele March 12, 2013 at 8:45 am

Your return to an office is exciting! I look forward to reading more about it…and trying to figure out where it is πŸ˜‰

26 Courtney March 12, 2013 at 8:48 am

I love the whole vibe of this post. It exudes your happiness and excited nature. πŸ™‚ Kudos to you for making a positive change!

27 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 12, 2013 at 8:49 am

I’m really interested to learn what you are doing. I’m mid quarter life crisis and hating my job and desperately seeking change so living through others liking their job is very exciting at the moment lol I love those pants too! Def going to check out the loft soon!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Daylight Savings Time vs Garmin Time

28 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 12, 2013 at 9:03 am

THIS IS SO ME.

Can we be BFF? πŸ˜‰
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Recap: #VAisforrunDisneylovers

29 Elisabeth March 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm

This is me, too! I keep saying I’m going to make a big career/job change…but have yet to do it.

30 Allison March 12, 2013 at 8:58 am

You look great!!!
The crockpot is the working girls best friend!

31 Sarah March 12, 2013 at 9:00 am

Is there a maurices in florida? It’s a pretty big store up here in Michigan and they sell the most comfortable jeans. I feel you on the whole runner legs dilemma haha. Most jeans are too big around my waist and then they strangle my booty and quads. Can’t wait to hear more about your new job. I’m so happy for you. πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..ROD 3/11/13

32 Jena March 12, 2013 at 6:58 pm

FYI: There is a Maurices in Clermont
Jena recently posted..get up…work out

33 Fitness Fan Blog March 12, 2013 at 9:08 am

WOW.

Nice shoes. Good luck!
Fitness Fan Blog recently posted..The Worst Kept Secrets To A Diet On A Budget

34 Molly March 12, 2013 at 9:15 am

Express and Banana Republic also have some great work-appropriate options! Glad to hear the first day went so well!

35 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 12, 2013 at 9:15 am

Kudos to you for getting in a workout before work! I much prefer to work out in the morning, but I just can’t make myself get up at 5!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Alarm Fail

36 Emily N March 12, 2013 at 9:32 am

I never have success at TJ Maxx and Ross or Marshalls either. And I think that is because I am never in the correct frame of mind to shop there. I feel like you need a ton of patience to go through EVERYTHING when you are there, and I never have it.
Emily N recently posted..Baby Girl Makes me Sleepy

37 [email protected] March 12, 2013 at 9:35 am

I find pants shopping frustrating. I really only have about 5 pairs of pants that I wear regularly. Mostly from Canadian stores. I have one pair of Mavi jeans cords that I love – but those were a random find at a thrift store πŸ˜‰
[email protected] recently posted..Delayed

38 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 12, 2013 at 9:40 am

I usually find all of my office wardrobe pieces at The Limited or Tommy Hilfiger.

I can’t wait to find out what your new job is!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Happy 5K Virtual Run

39 skinnyrunner March 12, 2013 at 9:50 am

congrats on the new job! and the heels are cute, i dig ’em.

40 Emily March 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

So happy for you! You seem really happy πŸ™‚

My office is beyond laid back as well. Every job I’ve had so far as been the same, but I think that’s what you get in an AD/PR/Marketing field….and I love it! πŸ™‚ I buy most of my “work” clothes at Loft of The Limited.
Emily recently posted..Weekend Through Instagram

41 Christine @ BookishlyB March 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

As a teacher 75% of what I wear is from Loft. The other 25% is a hodge podge between Anthropologie, Target, etc… Check Black House White Market too.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Spring has (Almost) Sprung

42 Amanda March 12, 2013 at 10:05 am

I get alot from the loft too but recently got some great deals at banana republic. I also get some staples from kohls

43 [email protected] March 12, 2013 at 10:06 am

LOVE the shoes. The new job sounds very exciting. Anything new is exciting. I work from home but think I could piece together a wardrobe if I had to. I have enough neutral pieces to get by for a while.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..In case you were wondering….

44 Tori K March 12, 2013 at 10:10 am

Girl, you NEED to go to Nordstrom Rack! It’s right there at Dale Mabry and 275 and it is fabulous! It’s similar to Marshall’s/TJ Maxx but the quality of the clothes is way better. Their shoe department is awesome (tons of good designer shoes) and they have a huge selection of designer and other higher quality clothes.

45 Janice - Fitness Cheerleader March 12, 2013 at 10:11 am

Super cute outfits!! Are you racing Ragnar with us? If so, when does your flight arrive? The earliest I could get into Long Beach was 9:10pm, so I opted to come a day early – I’ll be arriving Wed night and have Thursday free. Maybe you could take me shopping for cute outfits before the race?

Congrats on the new job!!!!

46 Elise @ Expeditions of Elise March 12, 2013 at 10:14 am

I have the same problems buying pants that you do: I’m short and have a thin waist, but my muscular thighs make it difficult to buy pants in the right size! They’re either too loose at the waist or too tight in the thighs. I have found the pants at New York and Company to be a pretty good fit, and their petite pants are a 30″ inseam.
Elise @ Expeditions of Elise recently posted..6 is a serious number

47 Amber March 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

Ditto what some others have said – pencil skirts or dresses are a god send when pants fit awkwardly. Also maybe more of a boot cut would work for you?

48 Courtney March 12, 2013 at 10:36 am

Congrats on your first day! I’ll be sure to check out Loft when I have to buy real person clothes πŸ˜›
Courtney recently posted..Spring Break Reading

49 Katie @ running4cupcakes March 12, 2013 at 10:37 am

So glad your first day went well. Hearing about your name on your business cards made me smile! Also, love your first day outfit. Super cute!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Happy Birthday Husband

50 Sweta March 12, 2013 at 10:37 am

Love the 2nd outfit, please keep these pics of your wardrobe coming I’m a shabby dresser and totally need this.

Looking forward to you seeing your lunch pics.

51 Reenie March 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

Where’s your job?

52 Anne Weber-Falk March 12, 2013 at 10:40 am

Congratulations on your new job. I’m interested to know what the new position is and what is involved. Patience indeed! Hey, who’s taking care of Maddie while you two are working all day?

53 Casey March 12, 2013 at 10:43 am

Give Banana Republic a shot for pants! Factory Store or Outlet for better prices. But their petite pants fit me better than any others, and they have a few different fits (I like the Martin) for various builds.
Casey recently posted..Big, Fast Change

54 laura March 12, 2013 at 11:04 am

Who won the bike?

55 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane March 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

The trick to TJ Maxx is bringing a friend who can navigate the racks. I am horrible about it & get overwhelmed fast so I bring my sis, who is great at digging through stuff to find winners! Also, they have so many cute lunch boxes (which I have a weakness for) & it looks like you may be using one more now!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Tuesday Tunes-Marathon Edition

56 Ashley March 12, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’d recommend trying the Limited for pants- they have a ton of different cuts, fits and lengths and their exact stretch pants are basically yoga pants for professionals (SO comfortable, wrinkle free and machine washable).
Ashley recently posted..Risotto recipe without pictures

57 [email protected] March 12, 2013 at 11:15 am

So many people are mentioning Loft – should stop there the next time I am in the States πŸ˜‰
[email protected] recently posted..Ozzie the Wonder Mutt: A Doggy Memorial

58 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 12, 2013 at 9:19 pm

If you were interested, looks like they’re offering free Intl Shipping right now πŸ™‚ http://www.loft.com/
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Recap: #VAisforrunDisneylovers

59 [email protected] March 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm
60 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Family Girl’s Weekend

61 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Using the food processor is a lot of work sometimes!! I count that as cooking. πŸ™‚ cute heels! I never get to wear cute heels because I’m so tall!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Family Girl’s Weekend

62 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 12, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I have a lot of trouble finding cute pants for work too, I’m a shrimp (only 5’1) and carry most of my weight in my butt and thighs. I have a couple pairs from Express that I really like, they often have a BOGO for 50% off deal so that helps save some money. Definitely my favorite store for work clothes!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Taboo Topic: Money and Paying off Your Student Loans

63 paige March 12, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I know where you work- no kidding, I recognize the elevator. I have been there. I won’t spoil it for you, don’t worry. My friend used to work there and HATED it after about three months- hope it is a better work environment now.

64 Caitlin in MD March 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Wow, what a helpful comment :/

65 Steph March 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm

It’s just another person with too much time on their hands from that hate site. Ignore the trolls.

66 Katie @ A Full Plate March 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I work at a resort on the beach and we have to wear tropical, which is SO hard to find unless it’s spring. And it can’t just be floral prints…it has to be tropical flowers (like hibiscuis), palms or some other kind of beachy print. I’d much rather wear regular business attire! And I agree…work pants shopping is so hard…rarely do I find a pair I like.

You look super cute by the way!
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Walkathon Preparation and “Take Out” Meals

67 jillian March 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I love Loft! I also do well at Old Navy and NY&co. I am only 5 foot and I have a thin waist but wide hips and a big butt and thighs, so I get it! So hard sometimes!

A great place for shoes is Bass. I think they are in all states, but I am not sure.
jillian recently posted..The Number Means Nothing

68 Katie March 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Can’t wait to hear what you are brining for lunch! Homemade pickles perhaps? I have always wanted to try brining but never gotten around to it, make sure you post the recipe when it is done!

69 Steph March 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Seriously? Go back to GOMI and quit being a damn troll.

70 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I wear a lot of skirts! Easy to just put on a nice cardigan or nice shirt! Super easy. I love your outfit that your wore for your first day, I find great deals at the LOFT on the sales, and I also love clearance at Banana Republic.
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..5 Quick Facts! II

71 jena March 12, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I wear scrubs most of the time, but I have a few pairs of pants from JCrew. http://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/pants/chino_cotton/PRDOVR~36738/36738.jsp

The city fit is the best fit for me. I also have a hard time finding pants that fit in the thighs & waist, and these work pretty well.

72 beka @ rebecca roams March 12, 2013 at 1:15 pm

ah ha. Disregard my FB questions! πŸ˜‰

I desperately need to tap into fashion a little more. I am in a jeans+shirt+flats/sandals type of job, but I let lazy or comfy win most of the time and trendy goes out the window. Casual can be cute but I haven’t quite mastered it yet.
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup + Core Work

73 Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat March 12, 2013 at 1:20 pm

The majority of my work wardrobe is from Loft – so many great staples and fun pieces – plus everything is always MAJORLY on sale. I have been trying to not spend much but can’t wait to update my closet with some spring items soon.
Working in NYC it is so tempting to shop all the time but also so convenient. Seeing your cute outfits is really giving me the urge to shop!
Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted..Winning is FUN

74 Erin @ Loop Looks March 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm

All my pants are from The Limited so I would definitely suggest you try there! They have nice bootcut ones! Also, if your readers need office fashion advice, send ’em my way. That’s what I do πŸ™‚
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..Glasses Over The Years

75 Angela March 12, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Glad the first day was a success! It’s always a challenge figuring out the swing of things in a new environment… But once you do it’s nice to have a bit of a routine in place. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Freezable Mini Quiches [a recipe]

76 Brigid March 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I but pants at Express because I’m short and curvy-legged, too. Also, for skirts, I love second-hand. Consignment is good, but Goodwill always has great prices on nice — sometimes unworn — office wear. My skirt today is Express by way of Goodwill, and I think it cost $4.
Brigid recently posted..Eat to Live update

77 Annette @FitnessPerks March 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

How fun!!

I can’t do the skinny jeans trend either. I have muscular legs & so even when I try hard (when I see super cute colors) they look terrible on me. Ahh well. But I am tall, so I LOVE wide leg or bootcut. Love it
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Quick Healthy Snack Ideas

78 Jasmine, bama + ry March 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Meghann!

You’re so cute! Good luck on this new endeavor! I know ALL about making big changes and I will you so much luck, fun, and happiness!

PS I agree with some of the commenters above: The Limited! It was my go-to back in the day when I worked in a corporate job.

79 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles March 12, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Ugh, I do NOT miss wearing “work clothes” to my 9-5 office job. And I can imagine it was quite a task trying to quickly assemble a new, relatively-stylish work wardrobe! I also don’t enjoy shopping :/

It looks like you’ve done an excellent job with whipping together an adorable, fun, yet sophisticated wardrobe πŸ™‚
Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles recently posted..Weekend Hustlin’ to Monday Hobbling…

80 Carissa @Fit2Flex March 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I am so with you on the tough pants challenge. I have like 4 pairs that work for me and other than that I have a really hard time. Tall + big thighs = why can’t yoga pants be business casual?

Congrats again on the new job!
Carissa @Fit2Flex recently posted..Paula Deen and Florida Hospital’s Healthy 100

81 Carol March 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Congrats on the new job! So exciting:)
I shop at Kohls for a lot of my work clothes. I have to try everything on though because my waist is much smaller than my hips. Everything is either way too loose in the waist or my legs are way to tight.
Can’t wait to read more about your adventures:)
Carol recently posted..Garden Party Part II: Coming Summer 2013

82 [email protected] March 12, 2013 at 4:29 pm

When I used to work in an office, The Loft was my happy place! I loved that store!! Congrats on the new job πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday {6}

83 kim March 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm

This is my guideline to piecing together all my random clothes and looking like I know what I’m doing.
kim recently posted..SF weekend 2/8 – 2/10

84 Erin March 12, 2013 at 8:02 pm

congrats on the new job! you sound happier in your posts already. i think its going to make your blog more interesting, i love reading about how people fit in being active/healthy and working full time. Good luck with the job!

85 Steph March 12, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I’m a teacher and our kids have to wear uniforms, so I adopted that policy too and it’s been so easy breezy! Khakis or black pants, green or black polo. Done and done! Hope you had a great 2nd day!
Steph recently posted..Go to hell!

86 BroccoliHut March 12, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Loved this post!! I will likely be starting a dietetic internship soon, so I need ideas on professional attire.
Those pumps are KILLER.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Ellie Workout Apparelβ€”and a Special Offer!

87 The Many Thoughts of a Reader March 12, 2013 at 9:57 pm

You look so stinkin’ adorable in that outfit! Love the shoes!

88 Kim Craig March 13, 2013 at 7:23 am

I just love hearing about your transition back to work; the excitement, the happiness it is bringing you…..And running in the dark is awesome anyway and so is the crock pot! So happy for you. I hope you find the time to keep sharing!
Kim Craig recently posted..Carpe Diem

89 Vivian March 13, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’ve got the same shoes and love them! Congrats on the new job πŸ™‚

90 laura March 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I’m a fan of the new high water trend = CAPRI pants.
You are welcome πŸ˜‰
Ciao
Laura

91 Julie @ Runninginaskirt March 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

Work clothes–
Loft, Ann Taylor, White House-Black Market, Macy’s- INC brand…
Since you are so close to Orlando, try the outlets— especially the Ann Taylor, White House Black Market, BCBG, J.Crew & Max Studio πŸ™‚
Julie @ Runninginaskirt recently posted..Mediterranean Quinoa Veggie Salad

92 Chickie March 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I have the same issue- 5’3″ & muscular thighs. I only can wear STRAIGHT LEG (never skinny jean fit) or a very MILD BOOTCUT ankle/short length from Gap, JCrew, and straight leg AG corduroys. I think you would look great in a straight leg fit.

93 April B March 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Congrats on your new job! Looking forward to following your adventures!