I have a big announcement to make today.
Two years ago I took a leap of faith. I quit my job and decided to focus on the blog full time. At the time it was one of the most thrilling (and scariest!) decisions I’d ever made. I went from having a steady income with full benefits to being completely on my own in the big, bad internet world. I was officially self employed. Good-bye steady paycheck, hello fluctuating income and stress.
I got lucky – really, really lucky – with the opportunities I’ve had because of the blog, but I’ve also worked my butt off and gained a ton of valuable experience in the process. Over the last two years about 75% of my total income has come from ads and partnership developed through the blog and the other 25% from steady freelance work I’ve picked up here and there. My blog became my life and my life became my business. I was go, go, go all the time and the lines between work and personal time definitely blurred. My job came with me on vacation, it came with me on my honeymoon, and it followed me everywhere else. I loved it and I obsessed over it, but I also shed a lot of tears at night over it.
Always being “on” was hard. Whenever I was at home, I was on my laptop. Whenever I was away from home, I was on my smartphone. I forgot where Meals and Miles ended and Meghann began. Truthfully, I was burning out.
So when the new year rolled around, I made a resolution to slowly transition the blog back to the hobby it was when I first started. This blog is my baby and I love it with all my heart, but I knew it was time for a change. When something you love so much starts feeling forced and unnatural, it’s time to try something different.
Does this mean I want to stop blogging all together? Heck no! I’m not sure that will ever happen. I LOVE blogging and I love the blogging community, there’s no way I’m quitting that easily!
However, I am ready to step away from the full-time job aspect of blogging. That means dropping the majority of my freelance and consulting jobs (minus Healthy Living Summit!) and cutting back on the amount of blog posts going up. You may have noticed already that I’m not posting as much as I used to, nor have I been sharing every single meal.
I also started the job hunting process.
When I saw a tweet for a job opening at a company I oozed passion for last month, I decided to update my resume and go for it.
Three hours after sending my resume, I got an interview.
The interview was unlike any interview I’d ever had. It wasn’t really an interview per se, more like an hour conversation with new friends who had the same interests I did. We laughed, we traded stories, and it really sunk in how much I wanted this job. It was a dream job with a dream company and a dream team of co-workers.
I was brought in the following week for another interview. I fell even more in love with the prospect of the position and all of the work that came with it. This wasn’t just my dream job, it was my passion.
When they offered me the position later that afternoon, I couldn’t say yes fast enough. I was ecstatic! Beyond ecstatic! This was it – my dream job! I worked my tail off and landed a job with a company I respected and loved. I could pinch myself!
I start that very dream job today.
For the first time in two years I’m putting on business casual attire and heading to an office with a desk, a boss, and a 9-5 schedule. I’m returning to the “real world” and I couldn’t be more excited about it.
Before I head to the office, I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for supporting Meals and Miles for the last four+ years, thank you for following my journey as I navigate this crazy thing called life, and thank you in advance for sticking around to see where this next chapter leads.
I can’t tell you how amazing the last two years as a full time blogger have been. I was able to do something most people can only dream of, I was able to support myself doing something I loved on my terms with my rules. It was an incredible experience, but now I’m ready to see what happens next.
I’m also excited what this means for the blog. Now that I’m returning to an office setting I can share my packed lunches, what training for an Ironman is like while working 9-5 with a heavy travel schedule (I’ll be traveling a lot with the new position), and so much more! Get ready! Meals and Miles isn’t going away, it’s simply gearing up for its next set of adventures!