Real Hills

by Meghann on March 10, 2013

Yesterday morning I was greeted by the beautiful sun rising over the mountains. The day before we had a bunch of fog, so it was nice to have a clear view.

20130309_071042.jpg

Mary and I decided to take advantage of the fog-less skies and explore the area with a short run.

20130309_083214.jpg

We’re on top of a hill, so the first part of the run wasn’t terrible. We mostly went downhill and enjoyed the views. Our end point was the beautiful lake we can see from our cabin, but nothing like this.

20130309_084956.jpg 20130309_085006.jpg 20130309_085016.jpg

20130309_085000.jpg

We definitely felt the burn on the way back. Our Florida legs preferred walking up the big hills, rather than even attempting to run them. Burn baby, burn.

20130309_090222.jpg

In the end we covered 2.3 miles in a little more than 23 minutes. I swear it felt so much longer than 2.3 miles! It definitely brought a whole new meaning to hill training. Hills: 1. Meghann: 0.

Breakfast came with a little show.

IMG_9612.JPG IMG_9613.JPG IMG_9614.JPG

Don’t worry, Bill is a professional. He knew what he was doing. 😉

Stephanie and Bill made their friend’s famous “Fried Oatmeal” recipe, which required toasting the oats in butter prior to cooking them and letting them sit in a loaf pan overnight before slicing and frying it. The whole recipe can be found HERE.

Once our bellies were full, we loaded the car up and headed to the highest point in Georgia: Brasstown Bald.

Did you know there’s a 5K that starts at the very bottom of the summit? It’s marketed as “...a little ol’ 5K with just one hill.” One BIG hill that lasts the entire 5k! Half of our group thought it would be fun to start at the very bottom and run the whole 5k up. The other half (the part I was in) thought it would be fun to drive to the trailhead and start there.

Oh, yeah. Much better.

Snow!

Sadly this is the only snow we’ve seen all winter. Sigh.

It wasn’t long before we saw the rest of our group gasping at the top. Surprisingly, they made excellent time. Kudos to them!

thegirls.jpg

(photo via Mary)

We brought yesterday’s peanut butter s’more up a notch by adding bacon.

20130309_150543.jpg

You. Are. Welcome.

Our evening entertainment.

IMG_9693.jpg IMG_9695.jpg IMG_9696.jpg

Bill is professional performer. He is pretty entertaining.

IMG_9697.jpg IMG_9698.jpg

Dinner.

Jess made southwestern chicken chili. I’m not 100% what’s in it, but I do know there was a couple of blocks of cream cheese that went on top. I think those were the secret ingredients. 😉

We had a blast playing charades (boys versus girls). Ironically no one had any problems guessing the raunchier clues, but I get “ingrown toenail” and “abandoned building” and fail to get a correct guess. Pshhh…

The evening was complete with a few rounds of Glee Karaoke.

I’m sorry this post is so choppy. We’re on a tight schedule to get on the road! It was an amazing vacation, but sadly it has to come to an end. Bye, bye, Georgia! We had a blast!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 10, 2013 at 9:43 am

Hahaha the Glee Karaoke looks awesome, that sounds like my kind of activity. The hike looks gorgeous! Glad you all had a great trip, have a safe drive back!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Weekly Workouts & Meli Cafe

2 Katie March 10, 2013 at 10:30 am

I am so jealous of your (lack) of snow!!! I ran 9 miles in snow yesterday and felt so dragged down for the second half. Your getaway looks awesome (just like all your big group getaways do) at some point could you explain how you get a group to plan an event? I always seem to have issues with budgets and meal planning when I attempt to get groups together. (if we can even settle on a date to go somewhere). Have a great rest of your vacation!
Katie recently posted..16 Weeks Until Grandma’s Marathon!

3 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy March 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

It looks like you had so much fun. I can’t wait for the weather to get better here at home so we can take a family hiking trip of some sort.
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Perks Of Being A Wallflower, Fashion, Soap

4 Katie @ running4cupcakes March 10, 2013 at 11:04 am

Sounds like you guys are having a great time! Love get-aways with friends. . . I have my own coming up in a few weeks. We are going to WY to the moutains!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..My 1st Stitch Fix

5 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 10, 2013 at 11:09 am

This seriously looks like a perfect vacation. Everytime I leave Florida and find real hills I am so humbled/embarrassed at my sea level legs lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Zip lining obstacle course

6 Caroline March 10, 2013 at 11:14 am

smores and bacon??? that’s… ugh. not sure if i like that combination.

7 Eesh March 10, 2013 at 11:42 am

Fun Fun Fun!!!! Looks like a good time was had by all. Plus that Glee Karaoke cracked me up!

xx

P.S I’m so jealous you got to see even a tad bit of snow.
Eesh recently posted..The Weekend

8 Jane @ Not Plain So Jane March 10, 2013 at 11:44 am

Looks like such a perfect weekend get away. Long weekends are so fun to go explore a new place! That fried oatmeal looks good!
Jane @ Not Plain So Jane recently posted..Pancake Craving

9 Ashley March 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Looks like you had so much fun- and that oatmeal looks fantastic! I’m hoping to convince some friends to spend a weekend at a cabin this spring, it’s such the perfect getaway.
Ashley recently posted..The perfect Sunday

10 Angela March 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

What a fun trip! Why has no one thought of doing a bacon s’more til now? Sounds delish. I think I would die during that race… One big hill? No thanks.
Angela recently posted..Freezable Mini Quiches [a recipe]

11 Caitlin March 10, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I live in the Atlanta area and feel like I’m always running non stop hills wherever I go. In the end it makes my legs stronger and faster, but I often find myself quite jealous of people who can walk out their door on to a flat street and enjoy a flat run for miles.

12 Emily N March 10, 2013 at 4:55 pm

glad you had fun on your little vacation!

13 PeachyLau March 10, 2013 at 7:14 pm

that first picture is amazing!

14 Casey @ Runner's Resource March 10, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing. The views from the summit are awesome.

15 Art @ Fit at Fifty March 10, 2013 at 8:55 pm

amazing pictures,
thanks for sharing.
Art
Art @ Fit at Fifty recently posted..Couch to 5k Training Program (c25k)

16 Maryz March 10, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I need that pink jacket!! Where did you get it? The lake looks beautiful! So glad you enjoyed your weekend!

17 Cecilia @MommiesRun March 11, 2013 at 12:48 am

Ack! That looks like an amazing trip! I’m loving that pink brooks top by the way 🙂
Cecilia @MommiesRun recently posted..What’s For Dinner #7

18 Allie March 11, 2013 at 6:38 am

Love that pink jacket! Looks like you guys had a great time!
Allie recently posted..Huge Group Giveaway: Lululemon + a Race Entry

19 Sara @ fitcupcaker March 11, 2013 at 8:10 am

I love karaoke, although I love watching more than singing myself! I need to look at that fried oatmeal recipe!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Weekend Recap & Crossfit Open Wod 13.1

20 Denise March 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm

one of my girlfriends has a house in Blairsville. Funny story. My husband and I went there for a “romantic weekend”. I’m terrified of heights. Paralyzingly terrified! That wasn’t a good weekend! Anyway, we attempted going to Brasstown Bald. We made it to the 1 mile mark and he turned around for me. I couldn’t do it by car. I want to go back and walk up there. I think that would be alot easier!
Denise recently posted..Friend Making Mondays