more ยป" />

A New Kind Of PR

by Meghann on March 6, 2013

Thank you for all of your great comments on yesterday’s abnormal pap test post.

I actually went back and forth on sharing something so personal, but I’m so glad I did. I think it’s good to share experiences like this, so others going through the same motions can know that they’re not alone. Feeling like you’re alone because no one ever talk about it is always the worst part. Thank you for sharing all of your own experiences. None of us should ever feel alone out there.

After yesterday’s procedure I felt like I was back to 100% almost as soon as I walked out the door, minus a bit of spotting that only lasted an hour. This morning I woke up no different than the day before and went to CrossFit just I normally do on Wednesdays.

20130306_080827.jpg

Sumo Deadlifts were our skill/ focus today, which made me really happy. Not only was it a back/ leg strength move (no cleans, no snatches, yay!) but we were working on a 1RM. My last 1RM was 125, but I knew I could do better than that.

I went through the warm up and started my first 1 RM attempt at 115 (a little below my previous 1 RM). I used such little effort getting the bar up in my first attempt, that my coach laughed at me and said, “you know what that means, right? you’re adding a lot more weight for your next one.” ….before bringing over two tens.

Second attempt was 135. It was a teeny bit more of a struggle, but I knew I could lift heavier. I was using Scott, a fellow CrossFitter, as my inspiration. He struggled and really worked to get his 1 RM off the ground. I wanted to feel like him after the 1 RM – completely spent and knowing I gave it all I had.

So I made a big jump. I added two more tens for a grand total of 155 (30 pounds more than my previous 1 RM!). It was definitely a challenge. I pushed with all my weight in my heels and got the bar up. It was slow, but I did it.

I even got a shout out for PRing by 30 pounds on my 1RM!

20130306_080812.jpg

My first shout out! Woo hoo!

After coming down from my high of knowing I really gave it all I had on that 1 RM, I got my ass kicked in the WOD:

EMOM for 12 minutes

• 1 Power Cleans @ 80% of 1RM
  • 3 Burpees
  • Max Chin Ups

It was a non-stop 12 minute WOD that had me hurting. Every minute, on the minute, we did two power cleans, three burpees, and as many chin-ups we could get in the remaining time. My first minute my arms felt really fresh and I knocked out 9 chin ups in my remaining time. It went pretty downhill after that. I pretty much averaged 2-3 chin ups for each remaining round. The more tired I was, the more time it took me to do the power cleans and burpees, and the less time I had on the chin ups. I felt like I was just getting my foot in the band for the chin ups when it was time for the next minute.

In the end I did a total of 35 chin ups and was darn proud of that number (we’ll just ignore the 60+ other folks got ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

Breakfast!

Food is limited since we’re leaving for a mini vacay tomorrow and I’m saving all the eggs for tonight’s dinner. I had one english muffin left that I toasted with peanut butter, pumpkin butter, walnuts, and chia seeds.

I’m desperately trying to finish the rest of the berries before we leave, so I’ll probably be snacking on the rest of the bulk sized containers through the day (I’m not saying that’s a bad thing ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

What’s the last big PR you got, whether it be in a race, at the gym, or at CrossFit?

1 Emily March 6, 2013 at 11:01 am

I just completed 20 class in 30 days at Pure Barre yesterday. Harder than it sounds and I am so proud of myself ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily recently posted..My First Needly Nap

2 NYC Fit GIrl March 6, 2013 at 11:07 am

way to go Meghann!! I feel like I am PRing all the time at CrossFit!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..7 Random Thoughs

3 Ashley March 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

Great work! I don’t lift heavy (…yet!) but I also can never imagine moving 155 lbs of anything!

Early this week I went out for an easy 6 mile run and crushed it with an average pace of 8:36 which is downright FAST for former 10-minute-miler me. It was such a great feeling to see all my hard work really paying off.
Ashley recently posted..Wet Wednesday

4 Amanda March 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

That’s so awesome! Every time you write about Crossfit, you sound like such a beast. I love it! My last big PR was at a local Turkey Trot, actually. It’s a 4.4-mile race, and this past year, I PR’ed the race by six minutes from the previous year’s time.
Amanda recently posted..Workout Buddies

5 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

Great job on the PR! I just got a PR at my 1st marathon if that counts! 4:12!!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..Intolerances and Going out to Dinner

6 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 6, 2013 at 11:21 am

Congrats on the pr! I also think its very brave of you to share your test results. I’m sure that’s helpful for lots of women going through something similar.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Wedding Update: the Bridal Party

7 TorontoRunner March 6, 2013 at 11:28 am

niceeeeeee on the PR! I was checking out some youtube vids of crossfit..nope, not something I’ll stay alive during. crazy!
I had a distance record of 15 miles not too long ago! ๐Ÿ˜€

8 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife March 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

great job girl! I love when you go back and visit a workout to try and get a 1rm and you kill it. Feels awesome! (:
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..WIAW: Veggiefied

9 Cindy March 6, 2013 at 11:40 am

I bench pressed 40kg/88lbs yesterday. My previous high was 37.kg. I’m gunning for 45kg later this week!
Cindy recently posted..New PR!

10 Annette @FitnessPerks March 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

NICE PR! That is always so exciting!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Ellie Review-February Line

11 Lindsay March 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

I just got a Running PR this weekend at the Little Rock Marathon. Knocked 9 minutes off my previous marathon time. 4:10 baby! Of course the last 10k took me for a ride.

12 Elisabeth March 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Mini vacation… I need one of those! ๐Ÿ˜‰

13 [email protected] March 6, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Last fall I cut 3 minutes off my 5k time and 4 minutes off my 10k time. I was PSYCHED!

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Time to get serious

14 Coco March 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Mm.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE berries too ๐Ÿ™‚ Hurray for shout outs!
Coco recently posted..Weekend in Review

15 Courtney March 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

My last PR was 185 lbs 8 times for the box squat a couple weeks ago. It was deeeefinitely a strain for those last couple, but it’s exciting to think that my ultimate max may be closer to 200. ๐Ÿ˜€

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Your breakfasts lately are just looking divine! This is just about what I had for breakfast and I’m getting hungry for more…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..(Green) Eats Lately

17 Whitney March 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I did a C+SpitJerk 1RM this past Saturday and got 145, which is a cool 30# PR from my previous one! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m redoing them in two weeks (I 1RM’ed Snatch too — and didn’t PR) and am hoping to add 10# to that number. I tried 155, but got soooooooo nervous when the whole box started watching me and yelling encouragement that I psyched myself out and clarked it… twice.

I was so proud of myself for the 145#, though! The lift was smooth (but hard!) and my form didn’t break down like crazy. ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Sonia the Mexigarian March 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Sub 1 hour 10k PR. Came in at 59:01. Insanity.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Wordless Weekend Pictures

19 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer March 6, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I PR’d my Strict press by 10lbs a few weeks ago which is HUGE for me. I struggle with the strict press quite a bit, I rely on my hip/legs for a lot of my strength. Way to go with your PR – 30lb PRs are no joke! You’re so hardcore!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Weigh In Wednesday: How to Motivate Yourself {giveaway}

20 wymberley March 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I hate the bands. The quicker you can get your form down the faster you can say hello to band-free wods. It was a total mental thing saying goodbye to the band but I never looked back. SO MUCH time wasted getting in and out of those things. I know you will get that kip and wonder why you needed a band way back in the beginning. Way to go on that DL girl! GETTING STRONG!
wymberley recently posted..Paleo Southern Style Bacon And Shrimp Over Cauliflower Smash

21 Emily March 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I love what you said in the begining of this post how no one should ever feel alone. VERY well said and very true! Way to go on your PR!
Emily recently posted..1 TEE : 4 WAYS

22 [email protected] March 6, 2013 at 2:45 pm

It’s probably a warm up for most people, but I did 3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.
[email protected] recently posted..Daily Mile

23 Megan March 6, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Nice PR! My most recent CrossFit PR is Grace (30 Clean & Jerks for time) in 4:20 with 75 pounds. My previous record was 5:05 w/ 65 pounds! Such a good feeling.

24 [email protected] March 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm

The last big thing I did was a 30 day challenge at my local Bikram Yoga studio but thats been awhile. I need a new PR goal!
[email protected] recently posted..Princess Half Marathon Weekend: The Princess 1/2

25 Emily N March 7, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Great work at Crossfit. That’s a big accomplishment!
Emily N recently posted..The Thing that Broke Me