more ยป" />

Riddle Me This

by Meghann on March 4, 2013

Riddle me this... If you have breakfast for lunch is it still considered “brunch” if you’ve already had breakfast? Or do you just call it lunch? If you have breakfast for dinner, then you call it brinner (at least I do), so I think it’s safe to call it brunch, right? (The random thoughts that run through my mind when I’m writing a blog post. sigh. )

Anyway, here’s brunch (or just lunch?).

The egg scramble was messy. I had some leftover butternut squash from last night’s soup that I pre-roasted for about 20 minutes at 375. When the butternut squash was soft I added it to a pan with roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, two eggs, and feta. It was a butternut squash/ egg mess that actually turned out really well. The butternut squash bulked the eggs up and gave them some nice flavor.

On the side I had bacon.

And cucumber slices.

Cucumber slices are quickly becoming new favorite side item. Cucumbers > carrots. #justsayin

I returned to the dentist today to have another cavity filled (yes, despite brushing and flossing twice a day I have horrible teeth – I blame you, genetics!) and didn’t have as great of an experience as I had last week. This time he had to numb me to fill a cavity in my front tooth. Everything was going well until the numbness wore off about halfway through the drilling. OWWWWWW…. not cool. I’m such a baby at the dentist and this experience did not help that fact. I need to go back to have an old filling replaced and I purposely made the appointment a month out to give myself time to recover between appointments. :(

I stopped at Starbucks afterwards to do a little work and bought one of the protein boxes I’m always eyeing – but have never actually tried – as a little bit of a post-dentist pick-me-up.

d89a5e9a850c11e29a2a22000a1fb02b_7.jpg

Too bad the bistro boxes are a bit overpriced (as all things at Starbucks are) because it was a great snack. I loved the variety of flavors with the cheese, egg, bread, and fruit. It was more filling than a blueberry muffin or granola bar would have been and more satisfying too. Now that I’ve tried the box, I know I’ll be more tempted to buy it in the future if hunger every strikes at Starbucks. It would also make a great light breakfast for on the road.

Have you tried one of Starbucks’ bistro boxes? What did you think?

Tonight’s dinner was inspired by Gina’s recipe for Chocolate Chile Tacos, which popped up in my Google Reader about an hour before I rushed to the grocery store to buy the necessary ingredients to make it. She had me at “Chocolate Chile” – sold!

The recipe was ridiculously easy to follow and took all of 15 minutes to make. If you’re looking for a unique taco recipe to make in a pinch – this is it. The only thing I would suggest is using hot green chiles instead of mild. I bought the mild, but definitely thought the meat was missing some much needed spice and added some cayenne. If you don’t like spice, get the mild, but next time I’ll definitely be using the hot.

Also, the meat really doesn’t have a “chocolate” flavor. The addition of the unsweetened cocoa only adds a smooth cocoa richness to the meat. If you’re afraid of chocolate flavored meat, I promise you won’t find it here. ;)

With roasted brussels sprouts on the side.

I “accidentally” registered for another race.

Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 8.22.52 PM.png

Let’s just say the medal made me do it.

860105_544067035624007_1084870601_o.jpg

What? Who wouldn’t want a gigantic dolphin medal?! I mean, how cute is that?!

My sister’s running it, too! We’re going to turn it into a girl’s weekend. It looks like a beautiful course and I’ve heard great things about this race, so I’m excited. Plus, since we registered at the Gasparilla Expo, we also got a really discounted rate for the registration fee (another thing that sold me on the race). Those darn expo discounts get me every time!

Have you ever signed up for a race on a whim at an expo? That’s actually how I signed up for the Savannah Marathon a couple of years ago. They talked me into it with a $20 discount and a free shirt. How could I say no?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

SO stoked you’re doing that race!! I love that medal <3

2 Runinboise March 4, 2013 at 10:17 pm

That race medal is pretty awesome! If I was closer I would so be registering for it too!

3 Amanda Bordonaro March 4, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Love the dolphin medal! I’d be lying if I said that medals didn’t lure me in sometimes. I have a menorah shaped medal from a Hanukkah run! It’s so unique and cute!
Expo discounts always get me too! But hey, a discount is a discount so why not!

4 Corrie @ Blurb Column March 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I totally race for medals and t shirts. No shame. I would love to try a box at starbucks but the prices just drive me away. I rarely go in anyway, but I think in a pinch I would be glad for the option. And, can I just say, cucumbers and carrots > celery.

5 Brittany @ DulceVie March 4, 2013 at 10:34 pm

All of that food looks amazing! I love having brunch :) And that dolphin medal is so cool!

6 meghan March 4, 2013 at 10:43 pm

That’s going to be a race filled weekend! Wish you were coming to the Florida Beaches Half, but it seems like we Tampa girls will be split between Sarasota and Fort de Soto that morning! I’m already thinking positive thoughts for the weather. How fun to have two such good races with cute medals on the same day!

7 Denise March 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm

The bistro box you tried is the one I’ve tried. I loved it!

8 Michelle March 4, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I don’t get the medal love for that race because I think it’s fug BUT I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the race and I’m sad I can’t do it this year! I have PR’d there the past 2 years. I think it’s because there’s the bridge in the beginning (it’s nice to get it over with) and then there are rolling hills. Plus, you get run past the FSU Sarasota campus! Don’t be afraid to dress up in a St. Patty’s day theme – are are always at least one or two leprechauns racing. I hope you ladies have fun!

9 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I second the fug medal. They get worse every year. Now more dolphins than ever! haha
But even so, I love this race. It’s my PR race and my Florida hometown!

10 Chuck March 5, 2013 at 12:24 am

Whoa, that IS a pretty dope medal!

11 Serena March 5, 2013 at 1:37 am

That medal is rad!

12 TorontoRunner March 5, 2013 at 2:11 am

I would have absolutely signed up for the race JUST for that medal!
I’m always eyeing up the different stuff they have in starbucks but it is waaaay too pricey!! :

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 5, 2013 at 5:38 am

It’s an interesting question…but I think since you’ve had breakfast, it’s just lunch. At least that’s my opinion because I often eat breakfast for dinner (and did last night) and I don’t think it’d be considered my 3rd breakfast. Right? Esp since my REAL breakfast was english muffin, my lunch was a yogurt bowl and then dinner was eggs. Clearly I like breakfast. ;)

14 Sara @ Fitcupcaker March 5, 2013 at 6:54 am

Haha accidentally I say that when I spend too much money lol. I love brunch and brinner! I’ve never had those bistro boxes but they are a great idea!

15 Barry Wright, III March 5, 2013 at 7:13 am

Those bistro boxes always look great, but never seem like enough food for the price! The convenience is probably worth it though.

I’ve given up on using the normal names for meals – it’s just first meal, second meal, …. sixth meal…

16 MileageMama March 5, 2013 at 7:19 am

That is an AWESOME medal!!!

17 meredith March 5, 2013 at 7:27 am

I like to get the bistro box for my son as a snack some times in between school and extra circular activities. If we stop into Starbucks, I typically order him the box with the apples and grapes, cheese, egg, pita and peanut butter. He eats it while he does his homework. The last time I went though, they had removed the peanut butter from the box! We were so not happy and haven’t ordered a box since. I think they removed the peanut butter after a recent recall. Peanut butter makes the meal!

18 Maureen March 5, 2013 at 7:36 am

I would totally register just for that medal! I’m also a total baby when it comes to the dentist. I’m cursed with bad teeth and gums (thanks mom and dad) and it always takes multiple shots to get me numb enough for the dentist to do any work.

19 Katie March 5, 2013 at 9:26 am

I have a lot of problem with getting numb too! Usually I’m getting numb once the dentist is done! That’s why I always ask for laughing gas, that way even if the numbing isn’t working, I can be a little more comfortable.

Also, I can’t wait to go to a good expo and get some decent discounts!

20 Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles March 5, 2013 at 8:17 am

You just reminded me that I have a butternut squash. It just went on the menu for tonight!

And I think an Expo was how I got roped into the Disney Princess half a couple of years ago. And it really just proves that I will do ANYTHING for a trip to Disney.

The Kidless Kronicles

21 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution March 5, 2013 at 8:55 am

I’ve been coveting those bistro boxes forever now. Unfortunately (fortunately, really, because I would buy them way too often), my Starbucks doesn’t carry them. Apparently there aren’t enough Starbucks’ in my region to carry anything with fresh fruit. I really think it seems easy enough to throw together, so I’ve had the idea of making my own for a while now. I think for the price of a couple of those, I could buy the ingredients to make one for every day of the week!!

Also, I feel your dentist pain. I, too, have bad teeth genes. I floss religiously (even after a crazy night on the town when we get home at 5 am, I floss before bed!), and brush 2-3 times a day AND rinse with listerine, but I still have to get 1-2 fillings a year. It’s such a bummer, but I figure it’s just more incentive to take really good care of my teeth. My fiance has NEVER had a cavity, and he’s much more lax about dental hygiene (I mean, he still brushes, but he only flosses twice a week maybe. I get on him all the time, but he always gets glowing reviews at the dentist — how is that fair!?)

22 Meghann March 5, 2013 at 11:00 am

My husband is the same way. He’s had one cavity his whole life and so much more lax about his teeth. Not fair!

23 Heather March 5, 2013 at 9:05 am

I’ve always thought “brunch” refers more to the time you’re eating i.e. late morning. If you’re eating at your normal lunch time and already had breakfast then I would just call it lunch. Brunch is a meal eaten typically in the late morning as a substitute for breakfast and lunch. But I can get on board with calling breakfast for dinner “brinner” just because it makes it sound more fun!

24 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 5, 2013 at 9:12 am

That medal is super cute! I’m so glad I’m not the only one with bad teeth. I work so hard at taking care of them, but I always get bad reports at the dentist. I decided not to long ago that I’m blaming genetics as well!

25 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 5, 2013 at 9:27 am

Running a race as part of a fun girls weekend? Totally worth the extra money and “accidental” sign-up. You’ll have a blast! Those tacos look pretty yummy, I bookmarked a recipe for chile with chocolate in it awhile back, haven’t made it yet but I need to!

26 Cassidy March 5, 2013 at 9:41 am

Like you I’ve been deeply intrigued by the SB bistro boxes for a while and I finally tried one last week. I loved the concept of a snack box (I had a little hummus, some mini pitas, chicken strips, and green pepper/tomatoes), but not the price. Still, I am tempted to try the others. (I have a soft spot for brie cheese)

27 Melissa March 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

I ALWAYS need a post-dentist pick-me-up. I get what you’re saying about teeth/genetics — despite brushing/flossing/using pricey toothbpaste and mouthwash, I STILL have problems. In the last year, I have had two root canals and, thus, two permanent crowns. All this = $$$$$.

My post-dentist pick me up usually involves a trip to Lululemon… ;)

28 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 5, 2013 at 9:51 am

I can’t even justify the prices of coffee at Starbucks… maybe their regular coffee isn’t that expensive, but I wouldn’t know because any time I’ve been there I find myself getting some ridiculous drink that might as well be a dessert lol.

29 Karen @ Run Shop Travel March 5, 2013 at 9:57 am

I love Sarasota and visit once or twice a year to see family and have thought about signing up for that race – the course looks gorgeous! Maybe next year!

30 Theodora March 5, 2013 at 10:09 am

How do you distract yourself from the pain at the dentist?

31 Emily N March 5, 2013 at 12:35 pm

That always happens with races and me. :) did today, in fact…

32 Maria March 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I’m guilty of signing up for races for some incentive or another, i.e. the medal, an extra medal (to complete a challenge), a shirt, a jacket. Yup, it doesn’t take much to get me to do a race.
I did Sarasota last year and I’m doing it again this year. The medal is one of the best that I’ve gotten. They are big and heavy… makes you feel like a rock star. The First Watch breakfast at the end of the race is pretty sweet too.

33 Lindsay March 5, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I love the Starbucks Bistro Boxes, but they are very pricey for the amount you get. I guess that is expected though.

34 Kim March 5, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I love the medal! I will have to do that race one of these years. My parents have a place on Siesta Key so it would be lots of fun. I live in NY and was just in Florida for the Gasparilla Distance Classic. Next year I would like to run Disney. So, I may be looking at it a few years from now. Anyway, it was nice meeting you at Gasparilla. I said hi to you after my race when you were volunteering at the water table. :)

35 Erin @ Loop Looks March 5, 2013 at 3:09 pm

The Protein Bistro Box is my favorite! That’s my lunch splurge when I don’t want to pack a lunch. I’m always sad when I go down to the Starbucks in my office’s building and they’re out of them!

36 Lindsay March 5, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I always put a little bit of cocoa powder in my chili and people love it!

37 Clara March 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm

what a cool medal!!! :D

38 Emily March 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm

The Nike Women’s Marathon is still #1 in my heart. Tiffany’s necklace > medal any day in my book.

I like the Starbucks protein box too for a quickie snack on the go, but I agree that it’s wayyy overpriced for a crumpet, egg, and handful of grapes.

39 BroccoliHut March 5, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I’m right there with ya on the bad teeth genes. Despite my pretty awesome oral hygiene, I end up with dental problems. Thanks, Mom and Dad.