Another Week

by Meghann on March 4, 2013

Good Morning!

How was everyone’s weekend?

Yesterday I played catch up on laundry, spent way too much money on bulk items at BJ’s, rode my trainer, watched almost all of season three of Walking Dead (you guys were right, the show becomes less scary the more you watch it), and made soup. All in all, a great mix of productivity and pure laziness – gotta love it. πŸ˜‰

I’m starting to see a trend with CrossFit: the colder it is outside, the smaller the class is. Today’s class only had three females and a female coach – girl power!

It was actually a great Monday class. We spent the majority of the first half warming up with some great shoulder stretches and flexibility moves. It was probably the longest warm up I’ve ever had in a CrossFit class, but it was definitely worth it for what we had in store.

Thrustin’ Fran:

We had three rounds of thrusters and pull-ups with declining reps of 21-15-9. Usually the shorter the workout looks, the more brutal it is. That was definitely the case here.

I did not go with the recommended weight of 65 lbs and instead found 50 was my limit, especially for the high rep count. My goal was to do 10 at a time with a few seconds of rest in between, but I found after my first 10 I could only go for about 5 at a time. This slowed me down. A lot.

My coach also decided it was time to downgrade on the bands for the pull up. She swapped out my lucky green band with something a little thinner and I could definitely feel the difference with the effort it took me to get my chin over the bar. Deep down I knew it was time to move down on the bands, but that didn’t stop it from burning. Ouch.

After 3 rounds, my shoulder and arms felt like rubber. I finished in 8:32. Not the fastest time ever, but I knew I gave it my full effort and was proud of my results. I probably could have done lower on the thruster weight or kept the green band for a faster time, but I definitely wouldn’t have been pushing my limits like I should have (to put my time in perspective the other times on the board averaged 6:xx).

We had 5 minutes of rest before we finished the WOD with kettlebell snatches.

• 12 one arm kettlebell snatches (6 on L, 6 on R)
  • 6 EMOM (every minute on the minute)

I grabbed a kettlebell to start off with, but quickly remembered I’d never done kettlebell snatches with an actual kettlebell. Whoops. I struggled to get the momentum right with the weight I had. Since the box doesn’t have any kettlebells that are lighter I ended up grabbing the exact same weight in a dumbbell and had no problem executing the move. I couldn’t get the 25lb kettlebell up, but the 25lb dumbbell went up with ease. I think the kettlebell is just awkward and takes some practice. I need to work on that.

This was the perfect workout to ease into the week with. Why can’t all Monday classes be this great?

The cool morning called for a hot breakfast.

IMG_9247.jpg

Hot oats in a jar with walnuts, blueberries, and a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder.

IMG_9248.jpg

Totally hit the spot. I’m always sad to see a jar of almond butter go, but it’s worth it if I can get some hot oats in a jar out of it. πŸ˜‰

Have a great Monday, everyone!

1 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife March 4, 2013 at 10:26 am

Glad you gave Walking Dead another shot. I still get anxious and pace about the room sometimes, but it’s so addictive!!

2 NYC Fit GIrl March 4, 2013 at 10:28 am

Sounds like a fun WOD! I changed bands the other day too and it was exciting!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Weekend

3 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 4, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’ll be finishing up a jar of almond butter today too probably, oats in a jar sound perfect right about now!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..(almost) All my Favorite Things

4 Gianna March 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

Sounds like a great morning workout!

I gave up nut butter for lent and it has gone surprisingly well – but then I see breakfast like yours and cannot wait to dive back into a jar!
Gianna recently posted..Here I Am!

5 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer March 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

oh Fran. She’s a biaaaaatch. No matter how many times you do it, it still burns. Crazy to think that the games athletes do it under 3 minutes. *barf* I can do the 65lb thrusters, and i’ve done it the last few times with jumping pull ups, but I also have used use the green band. There is no way to make it suck less. ha. But I still love it!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Menu Planning Monday

6 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution March 4, 2013 at 11:35 am

Kettlebell snatches are rough. The lowest weight kb that we have at my Crossfit box is 35 lbs, and last time I did snatches I was aching for days and had bruises on my arms from where I’d accidentally smacked myself with the kb. Ugh.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..My Weekend in Pictures

7 Courtney March 4, 2013 at 11:39 am

When are you going to share your exciting news?! I’m dying to know what it is!! πŸ™‚

8 Meghann March 4, 2013 at 11:47 am

It’s really not that big of a deal, but I can’t share it for another week.

9 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 4, 2013 at 11:46 am

Oats in a jar is perfect on cold mornings. I have a PB&Co dark chocolate dreams jar the is about two days away from becoming my breakfast bowl πŸ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Beach house hunting

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 4, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Love hot oats in a jar! In fact, I noticed this morning that I have a jar ready for me tomorrow πŸ™‚

11 deva at deva by definition March 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I ran out of oatmeal over the weekend and haven’t gotten more. The cold weather here lately (I’m in the midwest) has been a bit much!
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Reactions: Lifestyle Blogging and Real Life

12 Courtney March 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Sounds like a great workout! πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..Style Spotlight: Francesca’s

13 Megan March 4, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Nice Fran time!!! I hate thrusters!!!!

14 Annette @FitnessPerks March 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Oats in a jar is not something I do often–but it looks so good! I have a near empty jar, so i’ll keep that in mind πŸ˜‰
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Confessions (#2)

15 Elizabeth @ Positive Change March 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I want to watch the watching dead as well, but I’m too scared!! Breakfast looked super yummy!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..5 Quick Facts About Me!

16 Ashley March 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Your posts make me want to join a cross fit box SO BADLY but it is just not in my budget yet. I can only imagine how strong you are getting!

They also remind me that I need to hang on to my mostly empty nut butter jars… πŸ™‚
Ashley recently posted..Mental Rest Day

17 the delicate place (@misathemeb) March 4, 2013 at 4:12 pm

are you noticing any changes in body composition from crossfit so far or too early to tell?

18 Sara @ fitcupcaker March 4, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Anything with the word “fran” in it scares me!! lol
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Albion Fit Go Long Crew Giveaway

19 Mia March 4, 2013 at 4:48 pm

My weekend was very relaxing and a nice break from routine.

Mmm…love the end of nut butter jars. I am almost there with my TJ’s sunflower butter and crunchy salted pb. I can’t wait for the vanilla espresso almond (Wild Squirrel) to dwindle down. <—THAT will be like dessert!

If you want to pay to have the heavy things shipped (flat rate?) I'll pick you up as much AB/PB nut butters from TJ's that you want and ship them to you. πŸ™‚ I won't be in FL until the 4th of July, otherwise I'd offer to meet you.

20 TorontoRunner March 4, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Like Ashley said up top..I have been SO interested to try crossfit, just once! to see how it is. Great workout!
TorontoRunner recently posted..And then, this happened…

21 Kat @ balanceandspice March 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Yesterday’s WOD was incredible for us – so much fun.
3-3-3-3 Front squats
800 meter run
10 front squats 40kg (I did 35)
400 meter run
20 front squats 35kg (30 kg)
200 meter run
10 front squats 30kg (25 kg)

It was by far the most fun I’ve ever had in a WOD.
Kat @ balanceandspice recently posted..Harvey Ussery on the Moral Question of Eating Meat

22 Emily March 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I love short, intense workouts but I can only do them if someone is making me. Otherwise my brain stops me with, “Meh, this is enough.”
Emily recently posted..No Such Thing as a Free Line