Edison: Food + Drink Lab

by Meghann on March 3, 2013

Last night Derek and I tried a new-to-us restaurant called Edison: Food + Drink Lab.

20130302_185240.jpg

A few friends had highly recommended the experimental restaurant and I had been anxiously awaiting the right occasion to try it for myself; a date night out with my husband seemed as good of an excuse as any, right?

20130302_201303.jpg

As soon as we walked in, I fell in love with the space. The restaurant had a quirky lab theme with industrial chic decor that gave a homey feel. The servers were all dressed casually and food runners had jean aprons that further pushed the experimental lab approach the restaurant takes with every dish.

edison.jpg

(photo via Yelp)

From the Edison’s website:

Our kitchen’s only formula is product + technique + creativity2. Chef Pierola and edison’s talented crew perform daily flavor experiments using the finest components, precise execution and their collective creativity2. The results are new interpretations of everyday food expertly engineered into current, modern cuisine.

I had made reservations earlier in the week. Derek and I were seated right away and the host was really great by giving us a couple of options of where we could sit. We ended up choosing a cozy booth in the back.

20130302_185447.jpg

To continue with the food lab theme, our menus came on clipboards.

20130302_185442.jpg

The menu changes daily and is divided into tapas, hot and cold appetizers, salads, and main entrees. Underneath the food menu is the wine and beer menu. Wine can be purchased by the glass, the flask (1/2 bottle), or by the bottle. We selected a bottle of a red blend.

20130302_192416.jpg

For an appetizer, we selected the goat cheese truffles based off of our friend’s recommendation.

20130302_191445.jpg

The goat cheese truffles were served cold and had a foie gras center with a fennel pollen coating and sweet date spread underneath. I loved the mix of sweet and savory, but the truffles weren’t quite as flavorful as I was expecting. They were very mild and subtle.

For our entrees, Derek ordered the fried chicken and waffles and I ordered the black truffle crusted salmon. I forgot to get a photo of Derek’s dish, but we both agreed the flavors were spot on. The fried chicken was very moist and the waffle had a butternut squash base that paired perfectly with the hedgehog mushroom squash fricassee and corn butter. The addition of the truffle honey gave it just a touch of sweetness and was a nice change up from the typical maple syrup that I’m not the biggest fan of in the traditional chicken and waffle combo. If we ever go back, I would order the chicken and waffle in a heartbeat.

What drew me to the salmon on the menu was the combination of black eyed peas, warm bacon apple salad, toasted hazelnuts, and apple foie gras vinaigrette with the salmon. I’d never thought to combine the bacon and apple flavors with salmon and the concept intrigued me.

20130302_194927.jpg

My meal was delicious. The flavor combination was definitely unique, but it worked really well in the dish. Everything came together, especially the crusted salmon with the apple bacon salad. I loved the crispy bites of bacon. Delicious.

Overall, we were both very impressed with Edison: Food + Drink Lab. We enjoyed the relaxed vibe of the restaurant and the creative dishes on the menu. I’d love to return next time and just order a bunch of appetizers next time. I was very tempted to do it this time since the tapas and appetizer menu looked so good!

However, because of the high prices we’ll definitely be keeping this to a special occasion only type of place. We had a random Visa gift card leftover from our wedding that we splurged on dinner with. We saved it for a fun night out and I’m so glad we did. If you’re getting married in the near future, take my advice and set a couple of gift cards aside for fun date nights out during your first year of marriage. A very wise couple had given us the same advice in one of our wedding cards and so far we’re big fans of it.

Have you tried a new restaurant lately?

1 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I always save christmas gift cards for date nights too. Its so much fun to splurge every now and then on a fun night out. All of that food sounds incredible too!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Running to the Altar

2 Courtney March 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Wow, that restaurant looks fantastic! I love what they did with the menu. And may I mention again girl, how much I love your damn hair these days!
Courtney recently posted..It’s You Against You

3 Angela March 3, 2013 at 2:49 pm

That place looks so nice! Bacon apple salad sounds amazing. I tried a new Chinese food restaurant lately, it did not disappoint.
Angela recently posted..Heaven’s Lessons [a book review]

4 TorontoRunner March 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm

That looks like a great restaurant! I always make a point to try a new-to-me restaurant whenever I dine out!
LOVE tapas style places!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Well folks, that sucked.

5 meghan March 3, 2013 at 2:59 pm

This looks like such a cool concept. I want to try it out!
meghan recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup: the speed work edition

6 lisa [email protected] vittles March 3, 2013 at 3:21 pm

We went to a wonderful vegetarian place near us called Mint. It’s a higher end place, and the food is delicious and decor is pretty funky. I’d go back there for sure, but it’s also a place to save for special occasions.

Usually we just stick to Chinese or pizza lately, since we’re trying not to go out to eat as much to save money. Boo.
lisa [email protected] vittles recently posted..going on here

7 Steph March 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm

As a science teacher, I’ve GOT to go here! Love it!
Steph recently posted..$7 White bean and sausage soup

8 Mrs. Swan March 3, 2013 at 6:24 pm

My palate must suck because none of that sounds good. LOL Ty for the glimpse inside the place though. 🙂
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Boring

9 Art @ Fit at Fifty March 3, 2013 at 7:52 pm

We got several restaurant cards for christmas. Most of ours are to red lobster, olive garden, The Cheesecake Factory, etc.
My girlfriend thinks I do long runs so I can justify overeating.
Art
Art @ Fit at Fifty recently posted..Asics Gel-Kayano 19

10 Art @ Fit at Fifty March 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm

We got several gift cards for christmas.
Red Lobster, Olive Garden and The Cheesecake Factory.
My girlfriend thinks I do long runs to justify overeating.
Art @ Fit at Fifty recently posted..Asics Gel-Kayano 19

11 Art @ Fit at Fifty March 3, 2013 at 7:59 pm

We got several gift cards for christmas that we are working our way through.
My girlfriend thinks I do long runs to justify overeating.
Art
Art @ Fit at Fifty recently posted..Asics Gel-Kayano 19

12 Katie @ A Full Plate March 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I’ve been wanting to try Edison! Glad you liked it…the food sounds and looks amazing.
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Life on Pause

13 Val March 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Love that place! I went there about a month ago and got pulled pork on sweet potato biscuits!!

14 MaryBe March 3, 2013 at 9:33 pm

You seem like such a caring person, so I’m surprised that you eat foie gras. But maybe you don’t know what it is? I’m a vegetarian so maybe I’m just overly sensitive

15 Debbie~ March 4, 2013 at 8:06 am

I agree with you. I’m not a vegetarian, but am absolutely horrified by the method they use to fatten up the duck and for this reason, I do not eat foie gras.

16 Julie March 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Looks like my kind of place!
Julie recently posted..The Case of the Sniffles

17 Lacey March 3, 2013 at 10:32 pm

For such a fresh restaurant I’m surprised they serve foie gras…and even more surprised that you’d eat it at all, let alone twice in one meal. 🙁

18 Lindsay March 5, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I drive right by this restaurant every day and have never been in. Perhaps I’ll have to make a reservation for a special occasion! Great review 😀
Lindsay recently posted..feeling behind on life: by the numbers.