Rest Day

by Meghann on March 1, 2013

Happy Friday!

My body needed a rest day so I took one. I turned my alarm off before I went to bed, but somehow still managed to wake up at 6:30. Luckily I was able to roll over and get a little more sleep before Derek’s alarm went off and it was really time to start the day. I think Maddie appreciated the extra sleep as well. She was still buried under the covers by my feet (her favorite sleeping spot) when it was time to get up. Sleep is good!

Bed -> Shower -> Breakfast

I had a little fun with this morning’s eggs. I gave my two scrambled eggs a mediterranean flair with some roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, and feta. Olives would have been really good with this too!

With a side of apple slices and the last of my Trader Joe’s Almond Butter with sea salt. I need to make another trip to Trader Joe’s ASAP to stock up on more!

After getting my bangs cut on Wednesday, I couldn’t wait to attempt doing them on my own this morning. Thanks to all of your great bangs tips, I made sure to dry/ flat iron the bangs almost as soon as I got out of the shower. Once the bangs were dry, I ate breakfast and let the rest of my hair dry on its own with a little mousse worked in(LOVE how much faster my hair dries at the shorter length). When my hair was dry, I took a pea-sized dab of Aveda Control Paste and kind of went crazy twisting my hair this way and that with the paste for a messy look. Then I took a curling iron to it to define the curls I twisted.

Here’s the end result:

bangcurls.jpg

I always feel more “me” with messy/curly hair over straight hair. I think it fits my personality a little more because I tend to be a little messier/untamed just like my hair. Plus, it’s just fun.

20130301_090811.jpg

I really need to work on taking better self portraits in the bathroom. I feel like whenever I do it, all I get is the phone. Tips?

How do you usually wear your hair? Straight? Curly? Messy? Ponytail exclusively?

1 NYC Fit GIrl March 1, 2013 at 9:52 am

I mostly wear my hair straight! Your new hair looks cute!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..war wounds

2 Dori March 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

Love the bangs with your shorter hair when you don’t straighten it. I prefer to wear my hair straight but I’ve gotten much lazier about it so I leave it curly a lot more now.
Dori recently posted..FREE Revolve Class for DSB & Fitness NYC Readers

3 joelle (on a pink typewriter) March 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

Love your bangs! I usally wear my hair straight.. easiest!

4 Maureen March 1, 2013 at 9:58 am

I usually wear my hair straight during the week – I find it easier to get away without skipping a wash when my hair is straight. On the weekends I let my hair go natural as much as possible, so it’ll be kinda wavy or more curly depending on the humidity.
Maureen recently posted..Light at the End of the Tunnel

5 ann March 1, 2013 at 9:59 am

Here is a tip: stop doing duck face. You look dumb. You have a beautiful smile, so flaunt THAT!

6 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit March 1, 2013 at 10:08 am

Yea for rest days, they’re way underrated! Your hair is adorable! Mine is usually a tad wavy, or ponytail. Happy Friday!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Five For Friday 3.1.13

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 1, 2013 at 10:10 am

Haha I have zero tips for in the mirror photo taking, I’m so bad at it! I have curly hair, but ever since middle school I’d always straighten it, seriously, up until my senior year of college I spent so much time straightening my hair most days. I actually dated a guy in college who said he loved my hair curly, now I realize it’s stupid to change your hair because of a guy, but it made me realize that I love my hair curly because it’s so much more ME and before I was just trying to fit into a mold! And it’s way easier…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..March Goals

8 Emily March 1, 2013 at 10:12 am

I LOOOVE your new hair cut. It’s so sassy and looks great on you!

I have crazy curly hair, but right now it’s so short that it looks a hot mess when I let it do it’s thing. I typically feel best when it’s curly and crazy too πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Mental Health Day

9 Courtney March 1, 2013 at 10:17 am

I have stick-straight baby fine hair that won’t hold a curl, so straight it is for me. I tried to fight it for so long and wanted beautiful curls, but now, I just accept it for what it is. Your hair looks cute, though – I love the messy look! My messy look ends up looking like a hot mess and not in a good way. πŸ˜›

10 Emily N March 1, 2013 at 10:19 am

The hair is SUPER CUTE. I really want to get my long hair chopped too, but I am going to have to just go with bangs for now…
Emily N recently posted..February Goals Review

11 Taylor March 1, 2013 at 10:21 am

Your bangs look great! And you did a good job styling/curling it; looks cute! πŸ™‚

12 Megan March 1, 2013 at 10:26 am

LOVE your hair and am loving the new bangs! When I had my hair that short, I often wore it straight, but would occasionally get (really) lazy and “scrunch” it with some product. Lucky for some natural wave that allowed that to happen. πŸ™‚
Megan recently posted..Track Tuesday 9

13 [email protected] March 1, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’ve had my hair short like yours, but I am growing it out. my hair is straight, straight, straight and rarely holds any style. Plus, I barely have time to do anything with my hair these days unless I get up extra early (ahhh hahahaa). BUT, I think my hair had more body when it was shorter.

You have really nice hair, so this style really works for you πŸ˜‰
[email protected]. recently posted..Three Things Thursday

14 Erin March 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

Love the hair! I think it is hysterical you are doing the blue steel face in every one too πŸ™‚

15 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 1, 2013 at 10:39 am

SUPER cute. Love it! Makes me want to cut mine too…
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Five Things Friday 3.1.13

16 Katie March 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

Looking good!! Bangs are a lot of work, but you make them work!
Katie recently posted..17 Weeks until Grandma’s Marathon 2013

17 Lauren March 1, 2013 at 10:45 am

Girl, you look fantastic with short hair! Have a great weekend!
Lauren recently posted..Thai Peanut Chicken Pizza: Thai Kitchen

18 Reenie March 1, 2013 at 10:51 am

Love it!!! I like your hair the natural way better than straight. Did you darken it also? Very cute. Your dress is really cute also.

19 Emily March 1, 2013 at 11:08 am

Yay for rest days! Your hair looks super, super cute!
Emily recently posted..7 FASHIONABLE LOOKS FOR $140

20 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution March 1, 2013 at 11:11 am

I really love your bangs. It seems like bangs are super hot right now, I keep seeing people getting them and it makes me want them sooo much. You have naturally curly-ish hair right? Mine is like, half way between curly and straight, so I have trouble with bangs. I think the main problem is that I don’t style them right — you mentioned blow-drying and flat-ironing them straight from the shower — does that help? I’ve been itching to cut bangs, but I don’t want to get frustrated with them!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..#600in2013 Update

21 Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 1, 2013 at 11:12 am

Looks good!! Once your hair grows out a little bit you will look like the girl in your inspiration photo!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..The last February salad

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 1, 2013 at 11:21 am

That hairstyle definitely works for you! If I’m going to wear my hair curly, it definitely has to come in the form of a curling iron. My hair is so naturally straight!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Reasons to Not (Completely) Hate Spring

23 Lindsey March 1, 2013 at 11:28 am

Love your hair!! I usually straighten my hair & then wear it up. haha. Though I did buy a curling wand and love it too!
Lindsey recently posted..The Best is Yet to Come

24 [email protected] March 1, 2013 at 11:41 am

I was throwing it into a wet bun everyday, but it was getting really damaged. So now I am trying to blow dry it at least.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Get the Memo and Turkey Meatloaf

25 KT March 1, 2013 at 11:42 am

Your short hair looks FANTASTIC! Especially curled.
KT recently posted..Nifty Pizza #17 – Kentucky!

26 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! March 1, 2013 at 11:49 am

I have ridiculously thick, curly hair, and there is no way in hell I’m going to spend an hour every day straightening it! Even when straight was all the rage, I only ever did it for special occasions. I’m all for embracing the natural.

Also for bathroom pics – I either use the front-facing camera or hold the phone high and to the side, but angle it so you get yourself in the picture. It takes a few shots to get it, but works especially well if you hold the phone at the edge of the mirror so it’s not seen!
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..WIAW – Embracing the Savory

27 April March 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

Your hair looks so good!! It looks exactly like your inspiration pic πŸ™‚
April recently posted..Fear.

28 Catherine March 1, 2013 at 11:56 am

You should try making your own almond butter; it’s easy! Just toast whole almonds in oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes, let them cool. Buzz them up in a food processor for 5-10 minutes until smooth, adding a pinch of salt. Boom, almond butter!

29 Amy March 1, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This is totally your look – nailed it! πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..My mornings…

30 sara March 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm

whats with the mouth in your expression?

31 M March 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm

100% adorable hair. You should pair the messy/sexy hair with heavy eyeliner (think Bardot) and a light lip. πŸ™‚

32 Annie @ eatcleaneatreal March 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm

LOVE the hair. And Im a curly girl myself so I hear you on the messy hair fun πŸ™‚

Ive made a quiche with artichokes in it and love it, but for some reason have never thought to add some just to scrambled eggs. Great idea!
Annie @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 35: CrossFit Kool Aid

33 Hillary March 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I have crazy curly hair, but I rarely ever straighten it anymore. It just takes way too much time and effort (usually two hours!), and I feel more “me” when it’s natural. I’ve grown to love it!

I like your new style, too. Sometimes it just feels so good to CUT IT ALL OFF!

34 Shari March 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm

You can stop doing selfies in the mirror to avoid the phone. Buy a cheap cell tripod and download a self timer camera app. Problem solved. Would probably get better lighting elsewhere also.

35 Megan March 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I really like the bangs. One suggestion about taking the self portraits, avoid “duckface” pictures. You’re so cute! You should just smile in your pics!
Megan recently posted..Princess Half Marathon Race Recap

36 erica March 1, 2013 at 2:31 pm

love your new ‘do!
i usually wear my hair straight…but i love curling it too…i’m just not that good at it! lol.
erica recently posted..february dates

37 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant March 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm

My hair is super curly, and I don’t think I’ve straightened it in about 4 years! It just takes way to long, and doesn’t look THAT much better on me (it’s curly, but also thin) to make the time worth my while. Plus, it took me so long to accept having curly reddish hair, that now that I have, I have to own it πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Super Satisfying Turkey Quesadillas

38 Ellie March 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Long time lurker, never commented, but I really think you should know your hair looks great on you. The bangs fit your face shape really well and you look so much more mature! Great style. πŸ™‚

39 Lizzie March 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I’ve never commented on a blog before but I just have to tell you that you look absolutely amazing with your new haircut…the epitome of effortless chic! Love! Have a fabulous weekend!

40 Christine @ BookishlyB March 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm

When in doubt, smile. At least a little.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and no so Bookish) Thoughts

41 The Many Thoughts of a Reader March 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I really like the hair!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..The Song Remains the Same – Final Discussion

42 dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Loving the sassy new hair cut!
dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..February Foodie Pen Pal Reveal Day

43 Stacey Olson March 1, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Your hair looks awesome!!!!

And for the selfie, flip the phone around so the camera is facing you, not the mirror and make sure the reflection of the phone shows your face and take the picture that way.

44 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie March 1, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love your hair and bangs! It’s so flattering on your face!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..Getting Back on the Treadmill: Running with Asthma

45 Emily March 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I can’t sleep with my dog in bed, though I wish I could. But he insists on “sharing” my pillow with me. Nothing like a mouthfull of tail and fur at 2 a.m.!

I just got my hair chopped off, too. I love it messy with that hardly-did-anything-with-it style. And it’s so easy to do; just do nothing! πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..A Carby Send-Off

46 Courtney March 1, 2013 at 5:16 pm

The hair looks amazing!!! I am SO IN LOVE!
Courtney recently posted..It’s You Against You

47 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm

My hair is pretty limp so it’s never really curly but holds a wave pretty well. But you would never know because its always in a ponytail lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..New Year’s Resolutions: 2 Months Later

48 Sara @ fitcupcaker March 1, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I love the short hair, mine is usually up in a pony!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..A True Blue – Blueberry Day

49 PeachyLau March 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Suits you well!!
PeachyLau recently posted..The Perkin reveller: a very good restaurant by tower bridge

50 elena March 1, 2013 at 6:28 pm

meghann your hair seriously looks so, so adorable. seriously you look perfect! way to go on an impulse decision, it was def the right one!

51 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 1, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Beautiful haircut! I wish I could wear my hair that short, but it’s too curly and thick and ends up looking like a pyramid. I usually end up straightening it, which takes an hour =( I’m jealous…
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..What I Didn’t Eat Wednesday

52 Randi March 2, 2013 at 1:29 am

Turn your phone around so the camera is facing you, not the mirror. Use the mirror to see the screen and, bam, no phone in your picture.