Overflowing Shoebox

by Meghann on February 28, 2013

It’s tax season, which means I’ve spent the majority of the day going through this bad boy.

Is it too cliche to keep my receipts in a shoebox? No?

I remember the good ole days when taxes took less than an hour and I automatically knew I was getting a good return. I miss those days. That’s not quite how it works now. Now, thanks to blog income, freelance projects, and consulting work, it takes a half a day just to organize everything before sending the paperwork to my accountant to work her magic. NEVER underestimate the power of a good accountant! I would be lost without her.

Have you started your taxes yet?

My brain was fried by the time lunch rolled around, so I kept it simple today with leftover asian meatloaf, carrot sticks, green beans, and hummus.

The meatloaf was extra delicious today. The flavors had a chance to intensify overnight and the seasoning was spot on. Total yum.

You can’t go wrong with fresh veggies and hummus!

*Pretty Little Liars SPOILER alert*

Alright, who watched Tuesday’s episode of Pretty Little Liars?!?! I REFUSE to believe Toby is gone. My guess is that was the detective’s body Spencer found since she was distracted before lifting the helmet. Thoughts?!

1 Linz @ Itz Linz February 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

that meatloaf looks so good!!! and nothing about taxes are fun – ugh!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals: February

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 28, 2013 at 3:49 pm

BLARGH to taxes! Thankfully, hubs takes care of them…it was a nightmare in 2010 when we moved twice and changed jobs!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

3 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 28, 2013 at 3:58 pm

My brain hurts just thinking about taxes. This year we used an accountant and it was such a HUGE relief to have someone checking everything and assuring me it was all in order. Otherwise, I am completely neurotic about the whole thing!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Mahi Mahi Edition

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 28, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Since I’m still in school (law school – 25 years old) I’m still a dependent in my parents taxes. Thank goodness for that because all I have to do is sign on the dotted line and mail it off in a pre-stamped envelope my dad sent me. I’m so spoiled… Next year will be rough.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

5 Liz February 28, 2013 at 4:00 pm

My taxes were done on 1/31 with my refunds from the state in my bank account a week later and the federal 2 weeks later. I always do my own with Tax Act Online & the state of Ohio website – glad mine are easy πŸ™‚

6 Emily February 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Oooh tax season! Luckily, we just finished ours last week and are waiting patiently for our return. Here’s hoping next year will be the first year EVER we aren’t waiting for multiple w-2’s and figuring out local taxes from moving so much πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..β€œIt’s good, it is work, but it’s the best kind of work.”

7 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life February 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I don’t believe Toby is gone either…. but I am not convinced that it is the detective’s body either. I really think the detective is involved with A somehow, I just haven’t figured it all out yet! What are they going to do with Spencer though, I’m not really a fan of craycray Spencer!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Super Simple Italian Turkey Meatballs

8 Michele February 28, 2013 at 4:12 pm

um where are Spencer’s parents?? It’s a little concerning that she’s locked up and they are no where to be found.

9 Annette @FitnessPerks February 28, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Ugh tax season. I just hand over everything to my husband–he’s pretty good with it all, actually! Thanks to his econ degree & being smart! hah. One day we’ll prob need an accountant though!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Blackberry Winter (Book Review)

10 Anne Weber-Falk February 28, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Wouldn’t it be easier if you filed your receipts, etc. in an envelope or file folder by subject and then put those into an accordion file by month? This way it won’t take you all that time to sort and remember what’s what when tax season comes around. There will be less chance of losing something and if there’s a question you can easily find what you need.

11 April February 28, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I have been blessed with fairly simple taxes that I do on my own. I have lived/worked in two states (all different) for the last three years but just take my time and read through everything! I even got my tax return back already which was such a huge help!

12 [email protected] February 28, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Our taxes are really easy and I had them started and completed within 40 minutes this year and the refund was in my account 9 days later. Good luck getting everything sorted out!
[email protected] recently posted..Snow Day!

13 Heather @fitncookies.com February 28, 2013 at 4:54 pm

OMG PRETTY LITTLE LIARS!! I love and hate it hahah I just finished the episode and I’m so confused! I don’t believe Toby is dead, and won’t believe it. I don’t understand spencer either… I feel like someone did something to her. She went psychological but like why didn’t her family save her.. Or at least the previews don’t show it. Ahh so many questions in the show! I could go on haha
Heather @fitncookies.com recently posted..Thursday Thoughts…

14 Samantha Kashka February 28, 2013 at 5:43 pm

My taxes are done and my return landed in my account yesterday! (and I promptly put it to my credit card. booo) I am a simple tax person; the most complicated thing this year (which isn’t complicated at all) was that I had 3 W2’s because I dropped my old full time job to on call, they switched management companies, and I got a new full time job.
PRETTY LITTLE LIARS! First off, the body looked TOTALLY fake. I think its a complete set up. I also think the detective is still alive and working with them. But at the same time I don’t. Such a complicated show!

15 Britt February 28, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Does Derek eat the crazy meals you come up with aka Asian meatloaf ???

16 Caitlin February 28, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Oh I love when recipes are better the next day- I find that often with soups that are meh when I eat them day of, but amazing the following day for lunch.

17 Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat February 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Ha I thought this post was going to be about new shoes! Darn. Doing my taxes on my own is something I never want to learn. Totally worth paying someone to do it! Especially as a freelancer.
Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat recently posted..Giveaway: Passover Matzo / Matzah – iPhone Case!

18 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I am so so sorry! Just the idea of taxes gives me a headache. Luckily, our taxes are pretty easy. We send our tax forms to my dad (our own personal accountant!) and he takes care of it!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Reasons to Not (Completely) Hate Spring

19 Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I was like you a few years ago! My taxes are super easy, less than an hour! I’m sorry!! I really can’t wait to try your meatloaf as well, it looks so delicious.

20 Heather February 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I feel the same way! We just finished ours and oy I had a lot of sources of income this year, I had many piles of receipts and invoices in the living room!

21 Jaclyn March 1, 2013 at 6:03 am

I AGREE. I think it’s Detective Wilden’s body and that they faked the tattoo. Dumb Spencer didn’t lift the helmet to check. Also before she could, Mona yelled “he’s dead”. I think that was so that Spencer wouldn’t look under the helmet. There’s no way Toby is gone. I also think that he is semi protecting the girls as much as he can without head A noticing. OH and…taxes are scary.

22 [email protected] March 1, 2013 at 10:18 am
23 Ally March 1, 2013 at 10:45 am

I refuse to believe Toby is really on the A team – I also refuse to believe he’s the one who tried to kill Spencer with the steam. I’m hoping its a situation where Mona or “A” (blonde red coat girl?) has something over him and he’s pretending to be on the A team while really looking out for the girls and not allowing anything crazy to happen.

I do not like the looks of crazy Spencer – where are her parents?!

24 Vicki March 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Oh my gouda! PLL! I knew I loved this blog!

I agree, Toby can’t be dead. It’s too simple an end for a complicated character. I don’t even think the body was necessarily dead – Spencer didn’t check. But I think Spencer is pretending to be crazy. She had an epiphany out there, hyperventilating in the woods (and somehow got all bloodied up doing it). Then, besides that – Hannah and Aria – what is the deal? Pushing a car into a lake? Sheesh, that’s way worse then not being a good babysitter. πŸ˜‰

25 Mrs W March 1, 2013 at 4:09 pm

PLL – I don’t think To y is really dead but I do think he is going to be out of sight for a while. I would hope the writers realize killing off Toby would kill off a ton of fans. I think Spencer is a smart girl and while she probably is deeply hurt by it all, she is probably over playing the cray cray to find out more about Mona’s stay in the sanitarium. all to say I so want Spenecer/Toby Sbobey back!

26 Barry Wright, III March 2, 2013 at 11:19 am

Today is tax day (I wish there was a punctuation mark that combined the excitement of an exclamation mark and the dread/sarcasm of an ellipses) – featuring bonus confusion due to switching jobs and states!
Barry Wright, III recently posted..It’s March 1st – Do You Know Where Your Goals Are?

27 Amanda March 3, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Just finished my taxes on Monday! Well, my tax accountant/former college roommate finished them, haha. Thank goodness for accountants!
Amanda recently posted..Flower City Half Training: Week Five

28 Jessica March 4, 2013 at 12:23 am

Ha I have been keeping all my receipts in a Brooks running shoes box. Figured maybe their mantra run happy will translate well to tax happy! πŸ˜‰
Jessica recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Photo Dump

29 Meghann March 4, 2013 at 10:13 am

haha I like your thought process!