Not Good

by Meghann on February 27, 2013

CrossFit and I did not get along this morning. My legs were still sore from the crazy number of lunges we did on Monday and I seriously debated staying home instead of going to class today. I went, but almost immediately wished I had stayed home.

We worked on power cleans for our skill/focus and the move didn’t seem to click. My coach saw my frustration with the power clean and suggested I focus on form and technique at a lower weight instead of going for the 3RM. It’s the shrug in the move that gets me, for some reason the shrug doesn’t come naturally to me and I always struggle with any lifting moves that include a shrug. I almost want to invest in a light bar for my home gym so I can practice the shrug movement at home. Every time we have a lifting move that involves a shrug, I’m never aggressive enough and lose the power the shrug is supposed to provide. They even taped me so I could see what I was doing wrong, but that just made me over think everything.

I was so frustrated from the power cleans, that I had already mentally checked out for the WOD. It didn’t help that the WOD had jumping lunges with 20lb dumbbells (they burned!). I was slow as molasses with those babies. We also to push the prowler, which I usually love because it’s such an empowering move, but I was going so slow that I lost the momentum needed to get the prowler over this dip in the parking lot and got stuck a couple of times.

After the WOD I practically ran out of the box in major frustration, wishing I’d just stayed home instead.

I know I feel like I’m whining, but honestly, I think it’s good to whine sometimes. Sometimes it’s okay to just say “I’ve had a bad workout. It sucks, but it’s not the end of the world.” We all have bad days at the gym or on the road. It’s best to just admit it and move on. Not every session is going to be perfect, but it’s not going to stop me from going back and trying it again. I’ll get that power clean one day… even it takes me 10 years.

Breakfast went better than my workout did.

Two eggs with feta cheese

And a big pile of fruit with almond slivers and walnuts.

I love fruit and nuts, such a tasty combination.

Alright, enough negatives – what’s something POSITIVE about today?

I got some pretty exciting news yesterday that still has me grinning from ear-to-ear today. That’s something positive! πŸ™‚

1 Morgan February 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

You can’t leave us hanging like that! What’s the good news?! πŸ™‚

2 Elisabeth February 27, 2013 at 10:50 am

Yeah, we wanna know the good news! πŸ˜‰

3 dotsie February 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

I think it was probably a bad workout mentally than it was physically (athough, maybe your body did need a break). Bad days happen…don’t get discouraged. I struggled with the shrug for so long and then ALL of a sudden, I am doing it. Small miracle. Rest, maybe take a day off from CrossFit, and get back to it. I don’t think you wasted your time.

πŸ™‚ have a great day!

and you are free to “whine” on you own blog! πŸ™‚

4 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

Bad workouts stink, but we all have them! Every workout can’t be the best workout ever, it’s just not realistic. At least you made up for it with a delicious looking breakfast!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #22: More Peanut Butter

5 Allison February 27, 2013 at 10:23 am

But you did it, and that’s all that matters!

6 Kim February 27, 2013 at 10:24 am

My positive today is I went to my yearly ob/gyn appt and was not looking forward to the weigh in, but I lost 11 pounds since last year! Coincidence that its been one year since I started running! Yeah running!
Kim recently posted..Tuesday Tips

7 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 27, 2013 at 10:25 am

But you stayed and finished – that’s awesome! My positive for this morning is that even though the baby got up at 5am, he went back to sleep at 5:45 so I was able to get another 45 minutes of sleep. πŸ™‚
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Noodles (giveaway)

8 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 27, 2013 at 10:34 am

I know how you feel, I hate workouts like that! And a positive? Well, I don’t know of I’d call it a positive but I’m on the bus (Chicago) and saw a homeless man hunched over in a bus stop with snow and slush all around and it reminded me just how lucky I am and how thankful I should be for everything I have.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Day at School

9 Steph February 27, 2013 at 10:44 am

I felt like that a few workouts ago. I even cried on the treadmill! Totally pathetic, but I was just having a bad day overall. Kudos to you for doing it though! It’s still a workout!

Positives- It’s Wednesday and the weather is about to get cooler here in Tampa! πŸ™‚ Yeah! Campfire time.
Steph recently posted..31 ways to get moving!

10 Ashley February 27, 2013 at 10:46 am

It’s been a rough week but I’ve decided to change my attitude and look at the fact that it’s ALREADY Wednesday (as opposed to my first thought this morning which was “is it really ONLY Wednesday?”). I’ve got plans to cook dinner with a friend tonight and then visitors coming in this weekend, so I’m going to focus on those and try to ignore the pile of paperwork on my desk πŸ˜›

Now what is YOUR good news?!?
Ashley recently posted..Speed work all day long

11 Erin February 27, 2013 at 10:48 am

I’m so glad you posted this! I recently realized the value in sharing the days I struggle along with the successes to keep me motivated. It’s good for me to remember that I’m not the only one who has bad days sometimes πŸ™‚ My positive for today is that one of the students walked in and said “Wow, you’re pretty!” Love to hear that!

12 NYC Fit GIrl February 27, 2013 at 10:50 am

Sometimes I get really frustrated at CrossFit too!! Just think it’s only one WOD!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Reflections

13 jen February 27, 2013 at 10:53 am

I have such a huge problem as well with any move that involves a shrug…..i over think it every time….

14 Maureen February 27, 2013 at 10:53 am

I don’t think you sound like you’re whining at all. It’s refreshing to see other people admit to having a bad workout. I’ve had a few the past few weeks and I keep trying to tell myself that I’m successful because at least I WENT!
Maureen recently posted..My Own Worst Enemy

15 Heather February 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

I’m glad you keep it real. It’s nice to hear that not every one of your workouts is great. Especially right now when I’m very pregnant and a workout is walking across the house. Good for you for bring real!

16 Kara February 27, 2013 at 11:13 am

Girl, I’ve been doing CrossFit for over two years and the power clean still does not come easily. But it does get better! Instead of investing in a light bar, just use whatever you have around the house…a broomstick, for example! If you use that repeatedly for muscle memory, it will come easier when there’s weight on the barbell. I also love to watch videos of Katie Hogan and Lindsey Valenzuela doing their power cleans to get me pumped up. Good luck and stick with it!

17 Emily February 27, 2013 at 11:14 am

You should take the next couple days of working out, then you’ll feel nice and fresh starting back up again! I have to remind myself of this frequently!
Emily recently posted..HOW TO WEAR: LEOPARD PRINT

18 sara February 27, 2013 at 11:41 am

wow! thats the most times ive ever read the word “shrug” at one time! LOL

19 Becky @ Olives n Wine February 27, 2013 at 11:57 am

I can’t wait to hear about your happy news!!!

Power cleans get me every time as well. I feel so weak each time I have to do them in a WOD. Today I am happy that the sun it out and it is starting to feel like spring πŸ™‚
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..I miss college.

20 Cindy February 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I had a lovely walk home from the gym today and I also had eggs and feta for breakfast. πŸ™‚
Cindy recently posted..Grumpy Monday

21 Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I love being positive! Todays positive for me is that I had a rockin speed session, and it made me enjoy speed even more! I hope your day is better!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..New Wedding Series!

22 Amanda February 27, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I totally hear you with the bad workout .. for me it’s often a result of overtraining where both my body and my mind need a break. Do you think that could be the case? Sometimes a rest day is the best!!

23 Meghann February 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Yes. I think I’m going to sit out tomorrow and Friday. I have a 5k on Saturday and want to be feeling good for it.

24 Joy February 27, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Something good for me is I got a car yesterday πŸ™‚ I’ve been without for 3 months
Joy recently posted..30 things day 28 and its Starbucks time

25 Emily February 27, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Honestly, I’m glad you wrote about your crappy workout. We’re all human, and it’s refreshing to hear, “this one sucked, moving on.” Makes me feel better about my crappy run this morning! πŸ™‚

And yes, your breakfast looked much better. The whole plate looks amazing!
Emily recently posted..No Respect.

26 Annette @FitnessPerks February 27, 2013 at 1:07 pm

BAd workouts make the next workout SO amazing! πŸ™‚ Promise. And ps, everyone has them, so it’s great to hear you do too–it makes bloggers more normal when they have bad days or workouts too. So thanks for being real!

I love fruit & nuts!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Sleeping Well Influenced by Diet?

27 Sara @ fitcupcaker February 27, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Sometimes I feel like that too when I go to crossfit. Yesterday we ran a 5k, and I cant tell you the last time I did this!! It hurt. I just wanted to go home! I also love a good breakfast or meal after and fruit with nuts is a good one!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW: Paleo Sweet Potato Brownies

28 Elizabeth February 27, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I’ve been struggling with staying positive in my life lately as well. But today I made a new friend at work, which is awesome, and I have plans to go to a potluck this evening!

I’ve found it really helpful to write in a journal every night a few good/positive things that have happened that day. It sounds cheesey, but it has really helped me to see the positive elements of crappy days. It doesn’t have to be some long, drawn out discussion with yourself, most of the time it’s like “I got a seat on the bus” or “my heat is working really well” or “I talked to my sister for the first time this week”.

29 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles February 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Aw, I hate when I have a crappy workout like that (where you don’t really want to go, but you still push yourself to go, and then you finish up just having wished you didn’t go because it was so bad and frustrating). I’m sorry πŸ™ But you’re totally right, bad workouts happen, and the important thing is that you did something at all. Shake it off.

My something positive today is (not to rub it in) that I had a good, tough elliptical interval workout this morning & I successfully made fish tacos for lunch (cooking isn’t my forte) πŸ˜€

And yes, tell us your good news, please!
Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles recently posted..Fries & Pies & Beers, Oh My!

30 Gianna February 27, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I actually strangely enjoy a bad workout. When you make it through one where every part of you wants to quit and you make it through in spite of all the difficulties; it is a very big high.
When it comes to running and race training, some times it is going so well, I get cocky or complacent but then will be humbled by a gosh darn awful run that makes me question why I do it, and I know come race day when things get tough, I have the mental focus to make it through.
Positives for today are strawberries! they were not an arm and a leg at the store yesterday and yummmmm made for a tasty breakfast.
Gianna recently posted..Traveling Fun and Workouts

31 Megan February 27, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Try watching youtube videos of power cleans. Usually watching a video a couple helps me “click”. Power cleans are one of my fave moves!

32 PeachyLau February 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Defo focus on the good news πŸ™‚
PeachyLau recently posted..The Perkin reveller: a very good restaurant by tower bridge

33 Beth February 27, 2013 at 5:17 pm

So, who is pregnant? Don’t think we didn’t catch on to the negative/positive in your statement!

34 Missy February 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Jumping lunges with 20 lbs dbs–ouch! How do you even do that?

35 paige February 27, 2013 at 6:52 pm

It is refreshing to me to read about a bad workout. Some HLB’s (not you) I feel aren’t 100% honest with how they feel, eat or workout. Not every day is perfect. You are human and allowed to have bad days. And rest days πŸ™‚

Plus, not be all cliche, but the bad ones make the good ones better. As you get into heavy IM training, there will be a lot of bad days and tests of strength. Mentally more than anything. It is so beyond worth it when you cross the line though πŸ™‚

36 Mary @ Lost After Losing February 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Ugh. I know that feeling. So frustrating. Especially when you’re used to leaving the box feeling accomplished and proud. Rest always works for me. Give yourself time!
Mary @ Lost After Losing recently posted..First-Time Fran

37 Karen February 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I understand the CrossFit “shrug” problems perfectly… I can’t do it either… and I’ve been doing CrossFit for over 2 years. NOW…. WHAT’S YOUR GOOD NEWS? Spill it… please…
Karen recently posted..“BOOST” LAUNCH PARTY 2/28/2013

38 Casey February 27, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I am the exact same way with “shrug” movements in crossfit! Last week I had the same experience and they filmed me too. Confession, I actually skipped tonight workout since it had a lot of power cleans. Bad attitude I know, but sometimes you just have to give yourself a break

39 Stacy February 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Your vague comment leaves me guessing??? Pregnant ?? Buying a house?? New Job??? Moving??? Uhhhh???

40 Katie February 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

Thank you for sharing about a tough workout! It always helps to know that other people struggle sometimes!
Katie recently posted..17 Weeks until Grandma’s Marathon 2013

41 brittany March 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm

did i miss the good news?! keep checking back to hear!