more ยป" />

Name Change Pt II

by Meghann on February 26, 2013

I checked one more thing off my name-changing checklist this morning:

• Change name on driver license – DONE!

newid.jpg

Since so many readers were interested in my experience with changing my name at the social security office, I thought I would fill you in on what happened at the DMV too.

First of all, my new SSN card came in on Friday, meaning it only took a week to get here, not the two weeks I was originally told. Sweet! I was told I didn’t have to wait for the card to arrive to change my name on my DL, but I thought it would just be easier to wait for it.

I logged online yesterday and made an appointment for this morning at the local driver license agency….which also happened to be the local AAA office.

20130226_105845.jpg

Random, right?

Since I went straight to the DL office from another appointment, I ended up arriving about 20 minutes earlier than my dedicated time. I signed in anyway and was called within 10 minutes of sitting down.

As soon as I explained I had recently gotten married and wanted to change my name on my driver license, the lady immediately asked if I had gone to the SS office first. Yes! So glad I had gotten that out of the way beforehand. Also, I was a little glad I waited for the new SSN card to arrive beforehand as well. I probably could have gotten away with the paper they gave me at the SSN office, but it was just nice and convenient to simply pull out the card and not risk any confusion.

She needed my old license, birth certificate, marriage certificate, new SSN card, and two proof-of-residence pieces of mail with my name on it. Unfortunately I hadn’t thought of the proof-of-residence stuff before hand (since I wasn’t changing the address on my license), but I happened to have two random pieces of mail in my purse that did the trick.

After that, she typed on her computer, I posed for a new photo (by the way, it’s raining today, which explains why my hair looks like a giant poof ball in my photo – what can you do?), then I signed my new name. I wish I would have thought ahead to practice signing my new signature a little more. I still haven’t gotten used to adding “Russell” to the end of my name, it doesn’t quite flow yet and instead looks like a jumble mess. Sigh.

The whole process took less than 10 minutes. A few commenters had mentioned friends or family members having problems with a hyphenated last name on their driver license, but the lady I spoke to never even questioned it. I made sure she was aware of the hyphen and she acknowledged it with a nod – that was it.

There are still a handful of other things I need to change my name on, but it feels good to have those two biggies out of the way. Since I only hyphenated my name, I’m questioning what stuff I really need to change my name on and what I can get away with just having Anderson. I’ve registered for two new races since getting married and both of them I registered under Anderson instead of Anderson-Russell. I know this sounds funny, but I sort of want to keep all my racing stuff grouped together as Meghann Anderson. I’ve worked hard building my race records under Meghann Anderson and feel like I would be starting all over under Meghann Anderson-Russell. Did any other runners feel this way?

Speaking of running… I did a 5 mile interval run this morning. My legs were still super sore from CrossFit, so it wasn’t pretty. Gah. I swear I have one good week with speed training, then the next week totally sucks. I need to stop this pattern!

Breakfast:

Big bowl of plain Chobani with walnuts, almond slivers, blueberries, strawberries, and peanut butter. yum!

Lunch will be some leftover filipino pork and I can’t wait to heat it up, that pork is going to make a mean sandwich – YUM!

1 Sara @ fitcupcaker February 26, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I love greek yogurt bowls…. Also going to the ss office to get my name changed was the worst part..I bet you are glad that is over!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Rocky Road And PB Thins

2 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm

You definitely have the two big ones done! The rest of the name change stuff is just kind of up to you so it sounds like you’ve got in covered!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Spectator Sport

3 Amy February 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

….what about your Twitter account as per below? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Amy recently posted..Confessions

4 Meghann February 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

My name doesn’t fit! ๐Ÿ™‚ It cuts off as Anderson-Russ

5 Amy February 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Who knew?! Ha!
Amy recently posted..Confessions

6 Dori February 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I actually registered for my November marathon under my married name – and I’m not even married yet! But I will be then, and I really want my married name to appear in the newspaper when they publish the finishers. I’m excited about it. So yeah, I don’t feel the same as you about my race records!
Dori recently posted..My 2nd Place 5K Race Medal, Spotify Gripes, VSL3/Doctor Rant, Andy Took My Class

7 Meghann February 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Just make sure you change your name before then! Ashley did the same thing, but didn’t get around to officially changing her name before the race. She ended up having to bring her marriage certificate to the expo to get her bib. ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Dori February 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Oh, my name will be changed a full 5 months before that race

9 Emily February 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm

So glad it went smoothly for you! My license was printed with the wrong name when I went to change it and after waiting 2 hours, they told me I could go to the end of the line, pay again, and they would fix it.

Now I just carry around multiple forms of ID and figure I’ll fix it when it expires ๐Ÿ˜‰
Emily recently posted..โ€œItโ€™s good, it is work, but itโ€™s the best kind of work.โ€

10 Emily February 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm

when my husband went to get a NY license, they accidentally put that he was female. Mind you, this guy has a very full beard, but ever since, the bartender at our local spot gives him the “ladies night” discount!

11 Annette @FitnessPerks February 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I bet that feels nice to have that done!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Awards Viewing Party + Bulu Box Review

12 Maureen February 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm

So glad that is done for you and that you had no problems!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Maureen recently posted..Keep It Tight

13 Anne February 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Not with race stuff, but I feel like I’m starting over with research publications. Luckily, I only published one paper for my masters research under my old name. If not, I might not have changed my name so easily.

14 Steph @ happyhealthystephie February 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Greek yogurt with berries has been my breakfast for a couple of weeks now. So good!

15 Sonia the Mexigarian February 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Two big ones are out of the way. Glad it went smoothly. Have you done your bank info?

Way to take the imitative on it ๐Ÿ™‚ Like I said in other comments, I was lazy and it took me 2 years to switch everything over. lol.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Rollinโ€™, Ballinโ€™ n Shakinโ€™

16 Meghann February 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Ugh. No. Banks stuff is next. Thanks for the reminder, that’s another biggie!

17 Angie February 26, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I just can’t believe you sign all that. I don’t even write my whole name of “Angela Kovacs” when I sign. I just sign AKovacs, and even then you can’t read it. I must be hella lazy.

18 TorontoRunner February 26, 2013 at 3:51 pm

haha that’s what I was thinking, that’s a long last name to always sign! Glad you got it done meghann!
TorontoRunner recently posted..THE RUN OF MY LIFE!!! *15 treadmill miles!!!*

19 Melissa February 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I totally struggled with the married name issue when signing up for races! I now have to go into Athlinks and claim every race under my married name – since my main account is under my maiden name. Ugh!
Melissa recently posted..I’m doing my first cleanse this week (bottle, not homemade) but I noticed that I slept AMAZINGLY last night!I had no idea that a cleanse could do that and didn’t even connect the two till I saw your post. I guess that’s all. Haha! Happy juicing!

20 Hilary February 26, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I got my Missouri license changed the same day I picked up our legal marriage license. They never asked to see my SSN; all they wanted to see was the marriage license. It was really easy.

21 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 26, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I am still trying to decide if I am going to change my name, hyphen or leave it alone. I am stumped but luckily I have a year to think about it ๐Ÿ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Hail, hail go away

22 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles February 26, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Going through the name-change process after getting married was definitely a lot of work and tedious, but I so very much enjoy sharing my husband’s last name – all worth it. Granted, we’ve moved a couple times shortly after getting married, so all my hard work was quickly followed by more hoops to jump through with the DMV and credit cards and car registrations, etc etc etc.

Yay for being legally official ๐Ÿ˜›
Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles recently posted..Word-Vomit Rambling Weekend Recap

23 Regina February 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I wish I still lived in FL! I did not have such a lucky experience when I went to change my name. I was 4 months pregnant when I first went to change it (I finally went when my old license was expiring). It took 10 hours and 2 trips to finally change it. Never. Again.
Regina recently posted..Weekend Wrap-up

24 Michelle February 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Congrats on getting past part 2! I found switching my name on my banks info, credit cards, and passport the most annoying – even though it think I could fax/mail everything in. Maybe I’m just lazy though.
Michelle recently posted..Advice Needed: Get Off My Damn Hip

25 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I forgot two proof-of-residences when I got my new license and I had to leave and come back! I’m glad you had something with you! I kept my maiden name also, so honestly, I haven’t changed much. It works out nicely, because even though I actually go by my married name in person, they don’t question why my maiden name is still on all of my insurance info. and student loans, since it still matches up with my driver’s license!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..My Healthy Lifestyle

26 Lauren February 26, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Very helpful to read this, thanks! I’m going to change my last name when I get married (and probably not hyphenate – my maiden name is quite long), but I *do* plan to write and publish with a hyphenated last name. Any reputation I’ve built as a writer has been with my maiden name, so I’m a little hesitant to change it completely. So, regarding your ‘race name’…I’d say whatever works for you is the best course of action!

27 Cait @ Beyond Bananas February 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Interesting how things vary by state. All I needed was my marriage license! I obviously had to go to social security before -but I went to get my new license the day after without a new card.

28 Meghan February 26, 2013 at 6:48 pm

yay for fresh fruit…. can not wait for spring & summer!
Meghan recently posted..Sweaty Band Review

29 Angela February 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I thought the same thing when I did my signature! Now, a year later, it’s much different than it was then. ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela recently posted..The Bachelor [my thoughts]

30 Amanda @RunToTheFinish February 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

we will be celebrating 5 years in march and I still haven’t changed my name… I think at first I was being lazy because it seems like a lot of work ๐Ÿ™‚ but now I can’t decide if I really ever wanted to..such a strange thing!
Amanda @RunToTheFinish recently posted..IT Band School – Lunge Matrix for Recovery

31 tsc February 27, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Just an FYI have a hyphened middle name and a long last name and it would not fit on my passport

32 kristin February 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I haven’t thought about racing so much as school. I really want to wait until after I get my doctorate to get married and change my name. It might sound selfish but I’ve worked really hard on that and I feel like it should have my last name on it.