Veggie Burger

by Meghann on February 25, 2013

Burger have been on my mind recently. Veggie, turkey, beef, chicken, etc… I love them all.

Last night I decided it had been far too long since I last had a homemade veggie burger and decided to get out the good ole food processor to whip one up. We had a couple left over today, which were great reheated for lunch.

I really didn’t have a recipe in mind for these burgers, I just sort of kept throwing things in the processor until the burger “dough” was the consistency I wanted and looked right. That’s what I love about veggies burgers – you can really add whatever you want to them and they’re going to be tasty.

Here’s what went in the processor:

• 1 16-oz can of pinto beans, drained and washed
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 of a red onion
  • handful of walnuts
  • 1 egg
  • fresh parsley
  • salt and pepper
  • whole wheat bread crumbs
  • oatmeal

I processed all ingredients (minus the oatmeals and crumbs) first, then added the bread crumbs and oatmeals until the consistency was thick enough to form patties (maybe 1 – 1.5 cups total?). I then moved the batter to the fridge to settle for 30 minutes. Since the dough was still slightly sticky, I coated my hands with bread crumbs before making the patties. That way the dough stuck to my hands a little less and the patties got a nice crunchy coating. The veggie burgers were cooked on the grill pan, which gave them nice grill marks. I started with the pan on high to get the nice sear, then covered the burgers on medium-low for a few minutes to cook the middle through.

The burgers reheated nicely in the microwave today with a little cheese on top.

They were perfect veggie burgers that stayed together and weren’t terribly mushy in the center, I think I have the grill pan to thank a little bit for that. πŸ™‚

I also reheated a the left over sweet potato fries we had on the side.

And had some fresh snap peas, that were delicious on their own.

Do you have a celebrity doppelganger?

I occasionally get Jennifer Lawrence and Pippa Middleton for whatever reason.

doppelganger.jpg

Yeah. I don’t see it either. I think it’s just the similar brown hair with Pippa and similar round cheeks/deep set eyes with Jennifer. However, both ladies are gorgeous so I generally drop and kiss anyone’s feet that makes the comparisons. I’ll take it as a compliment.

Speaking of Jennifer Lawrence, did anyone see her take home the Oscar last night?

jennifer-lawrence-oscars-press-room-video-2013.jpg

I can’t wait for Silver Linings Playbook to come to RedBox or Netflix so I can finally see her Oscar worthy performance! I’ve always been a huge fan of Jennifer Lawrence and can’t get over the fact that she’s only 23 and already so accomplished.

I especially love this video of her backstage interview. Total girl crush material.

1 Dori February 25, 2013 at 3:23 pm

In high school, people used to always tell me I look like Carly Pope (the main character in Popular – remember that show?). Starting about 10 years ago, I ALWAYS hear that I look like Anne Hathaway. It used to bother me because I didn’t think she was that pretty in 2003, but now I consider it a compliment.
Dori recently posted..Workout Plan: Week of February 25, 2013 + DSB Logo T-shirt

2 Emily February 25, 2013 at 3:36 pm

You do look like Jennifer Lawrence! I need to see that movie too! I get Katherine Heigl.
Emily recently posted..THE GOLDEN RULE OF STYLE

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 25, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I can definitely see the Jennifer Lawrence! I haven’t gotten a few from time to time. Most recently I was told I look Leighton Meester. I’ll take it!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..There’s No Place Like Home

4 Angela February 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Loved silver linings playroom and I love j-law. She is always just so… Real. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Sunday Inspiration

5 Becky @ Olives n Wine February 25, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I have been on a total burger craze the past few weeks too! I have a good veggie burger planned for later this week πŸ™‚ You totally look like a combination of Pippa and Jennifer – crazy! I’ve been told that I look like Rachel McAdams but I totally don’t see it.
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Mini Andes Mint Cupcakes

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 25, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Oh I LOVE Silver Linings Playbook! And those are definitely two women you’d want to be compared to!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..There’s No Perfect

7 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions February 25, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence! I’m so excited she won Best Actress. I haven’t seen Silver Linings Playbook yet, but like you I can’t wait for it to be in Redboxes. I really, really want to see that movie!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..FFC Indoor Triathlon Recap

8 Elisabeth February 25, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I’m soooo glad she won and am definitely jealous that she’s so accomplished at only 22! I feel a bit behind at 31 πŸ˜‰

9 Elisabeth February 25, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I’m so glad Jennifer won Best Actress and am definitely jealous that she’s so accomplished at only 22! I feel a bit behind at 31 πŸ˜‰

10 Maureen February 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I LOVE J-Law! She is just so real. Did you know she & Taylor Swift are the same age? Taylor could definitely learn a few things from Jennifer!
Maureen recently posted..Keep It Tight

11 Anne February 25, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I loved that video of her. There was also a funny part on the red carpet when she said “Your ass is mine, Stone!” speaking of Emma Stone making her do something with E!. What a genuinely down to earth gal.

12 Lauren February 25, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I don’t really see Jennifer Lawrence but Pippa all the way! Definitely the facial structure!

13 TorontoRunner February 25, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I can see Pippa in you!
ooooh hope you get to watch Silver Linings, I thought it was a great movie. I actually thought Bradley Cooper’s performance was stronger than Jennifer’s?! She’s fantastic though and looked BEAUTIFUL!
TorontoRunner recently posted..THE RUN OF MY LIFE!!! *15 treadmill miles!!!*

14 jenn February 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Just FYI – Silver Linings Playbook is still in theaters – you can see it there!

15 Ranae February 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I have never made my own veggie burgers we usually make turkey burgers but i may have to try it they look yummy!

16 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 25, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I have gotten Amy Smart a few times but I don’t see the similarities other than the blonde hair. I am dying to see Silver Linings Playbook too! I haven’t seen very many of the Oscar movies so I have a lot of Netflixing in my future. My girl crush is totally Tina Fey.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..I found my wedding caterer

17 lorie February 25, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I actually do see a bit of Jennifer Lawrence and Pippa! Though more so,I totally see your sister in Jennifer Lawrence,especially in that Oscar pic!!

18 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life February 25, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I want to see the silver linings playbook too! I just want it to be out already!
Danielle @ It’s A Harleyyy Life recently posted..#MIMM 2.25.13

19 Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.wordpress.com February 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Mmmm, after reading this it looks like I’ll be making veggie burgers for lunch tomorrow! You definitely resemble Jennifer Lawrence πŸ™‚ I’ve never been told I look like anyone other than my mom, haha. I have yet to see Silver Linings Playbook either. Greatly looking forward to it coming out on Netflix!
Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.wordpress.com recently posted..Really Mr.?

20 Caitlin February 25, 2013 at 7:56 pm

English muffins are the greatest burger buns, ever. For years I stopped eating burger buns b/c of all the bread and extra carbs and then when I started back I couldn’t stand a super bready bun- English muffins are perfect!
I was told recently I look like Rhea Seehorn from Whitney, but I only slightly see it.

21 PeachyLau February 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm

The movie is really good, you will like it!
PeachyLau recently posted..The Perkin reveller: a very good restaurant by tower bridge

22 Annette @FitnessPerks February 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence. She is such a great actress & down to earth–such a breath of fresh air among all those stuck up actresses/singers who are such divas.

I see it a bit actually you & her! Cool! I’ve gotten Britney spears & uma thurman before. I don’t see it AT all.

I NEED to make these burgers–they look/sound awesome!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..One Word Monday

23 Jenny February 25, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I love Jennifer Lawrence! She’s so “real.”

Certainly you resemble Pippa in that picture you posted!

I used to get Cybill Shepherd back in the day (I’m nearly 42) and Kelly McGillis back in her Top Gun days.
Jenny recently posted..Half Marathon on a Whim!

24 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 25, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I definitely see Jennifer Lawrence, especially with her darker hair!

And those veggie burgers look great – I LOVE homemade veggie burgers. YUM!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Little Black Submarine

25 Christine @ BookishlyB February 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Such a great movie. I get Mary Louise Parker (fine), Allison Williams (totally fine), and Kristen Stewart (shoot me).
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Foster the People

26 Sarah February 25, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I get Anne Hathaway A LOT. I take that as a huge compliment, because I don’t see it! The other day, I got Debby Ryan (according to Google, she’s a Disney Channel actress?), and I don’t see that either.

27 Shari February 25, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Skip the movie and read the book. It was a LOT better and actually very different than the movie. I’ve never seen a movie where the story line was changed so much from the book. I was actually disappointed witht the movie. Love Bradley Cooper (hot), Jennifer is awesome and is from my current city and they performed beautifully, but was very disappointed in the screenplay.

28 Presley @ Run Pretty February 26, 2013 at 5:01 am

Honestly, I can’t remember the last time anyone told me I resembled a celebrity. haha oh well. I love me some Jennifer Lawrence!
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Weekend Recap: Races and Faces

29 meredith February 26, 2013 at 7:11 am

Those veggie burgers look delicious! I have been told for years, ever since Jerry Maguire, that I look like Renee Zwelleger.
meredith recently posted..Snack Attack

30 Emily N February 26, 2013 at 9:37 am

ABSOLUTELY take that as a compliment. I have gotten Sean Young (I didn’t know who she was either) and Carrie Ann Moss. But specifically when she was in the Matrix. I will take it. Trinity was a badass. πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..Gearing up for a Race

31 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 26, 2013 at 9:55 am

Both of those women are totally gorgeous, that’s a major compliment to get that comparison! I’ve heard Katie Holmes for myself or sometimes Charlotte from SATC. I’m flattered by both as well!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Ski Weekend at Lake Placid

32 Barry Wright, III February 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm

My boss once photoshopped my face onto a picture of snowboarder Shaun White – it was pretty hard to tell the difference!
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Control Therapy

33 Amanda February 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I would definitely take looking like Jennifer Lawrence as a compliment. She’s amazing! I usually get Elizabeth Banks (awesome!) or Mia Wasakowski, that girl from Alice in Wonderland. Either one’s a compliment for me πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Flower City Half Training: Week Four

34 Cecilia @MommiesRun February 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

EEEKS! You are Katniss! But seriously, I love Jennifer Lawrence, she is gorgeous and a badass. Definitely take it as a compliment. I haven’t seen her movie but I’m dying too! Back in high school I would get Natalie Portman, but these days I get Claire Forlani. I wish to both of them.
Cecilia @MommiesRun recently posted..#MotivationalMonday/#MoveItMonday

35 Clara February 27, 2013 at 6:11 am

I think you do look a bit like a mix of those two actually!!! πŸ™‚