On the floor

by Meghann on February 25, 2013

Goooooodddddd Morning!

We did something new-to-me in CrossFit this morning: a floor press.

20130222_073733.jpg

Has anyone ever done these before? It’s basically a bench press, but instead of being on a bench you’re on the floor. I’d never seen them done before this morning.

Our coach told us we should expect to max out at about 65% of our bench press weight since we were losing some power by not being able to push through our legs, but I didn’t see that to be the case. I actually preferred the floor press – laying on the floor and being able to spread out sure was comfy! Plus, we didn’t have to bring the bar all the way down like a regular bench press move, which is where I tend to get stuck. We only brought the bar to where our elbows hit the ground (about half way down) then lifted back up.

I ended up about five pounds higher on weight for my 3RM versus a regular bench press. Can we do all our lifts from the floor?

Actually, a funny topic came up when we were introduced to the move at the beginning of class. Someone said “It’s a good thing none of us our germaphobes!” Which got us all thinking how true that statement really was. It would be really hard to have a fear of germs and do CrossFit. We’re always on the floor for this move or that move (I actually skinned my knees up pretty bad this morning doing push ups on my knees on the rough floor) and I don’t even want to know how many sweaty hands have touched all the bars, rubber bands, or medicine balls in the box. I remember sharing a pull up band with someone during a WOD and by the end the thing was so drenched with both of our sweat that it was super slippery to step into. Looking back that sounds pretty gross, but in the moment I didn’t even think about it.

I always wash my hands before heading home (usually they’re close to black by the end of the WOD), but while you’re in class it’s easy to forget about everything and just give it all you have. Usually it’s the showers that follow a good workout (whether that’s CrossFit, running, cycling, etc) that ALWAYS feel the best. Nothing beats a hot shower after a sweaty workout.

I made sure to take my time in the shower after this morning’s sweaty workout, then had eggs and honeydew for breakfast.

I cooked the two eggs with spinach and feta cheese in a bit of coconut oil. I had some randomly in my pantry and lately I’ve heard a few friends rave about the yummy difference that coconut oil makes when cooking eggs. Honestly, they tasted like regular eggs to me when all was said and done. Maybe I didn’t use enough?

I had some honeydew with walnuts on the side.

It’s been a while since I’ve had honeydew – I love the mild flavor, it’s the fruit that pretty much works with anything. 🙂

How was your weekend? Run any races? Go on any adventures?

1 lisa fine @ vermont vittles February 25, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’m not a big coconut oil person. It always seems to upset my stomach. 🙁

Did lots of wedding planning this weekend! Wrote some blog posts, and set up meetings with venues and caterers.

I’m looking to buy a good wedding planner book – any suggestions?
lisa fine @ vermont vittles recently posted..lisa + josh : what i know about our wedding

2 Meghann February 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

I just scanned everything into Google Drive and shared everything with Derek and my Mom. It was really convenient having everything accesible from my phone. Never underestimate the power of a good spreadsheet!

3 Allison February 25, 2013 at 10:13 am

I love coconut oil, but have never made it with eggs before. Need to try that ASAP.
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

4 Sarah F February 25, 2013 at 10:14 am

I just bought a groupon for cross fit. I’m so excited, but so intimidated to even activate it. I’m afraid the people at the box will be scary!!!!! Your posts give me more confidence.

5 Meghann February 25, 2013 at 10:35 am

Don’t be scared!! Everyone at my box is super supportive! Good luck and have fun!

6 Emily N February 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Oh I LOVE honeydew. It is my favorite melon.
Emily N recently posted..A Morning Strength Session

7 Logan @ Mountains and Miles February 25, 2013 at 10:21 am

I went on a new-to-me 10 mile trail run yesterday and it felt so good! I love hot showers after workouts, but lately I’ve been running before work from my office. We have lockers and showers, but the shower’s definition of hot = like warm in my books. I always come out shivering. Alas it’s probably to save money and energy (I work at Nat Geo, so they are always trying to be more green)
Logan @ Mountains and Miles recently posted..A Long-Short Week

8 Jamie in Arkansas February 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

I cook my eggs in coconut oil every morning! I love it! I use 1/2 T for 5 egg whites and 1 whole egg. It has a mild coconut flavor…awesomeness!!! And adds so much good fat. Delish!

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’m one if the least germaphobic people you’ll meet and ironically I rarely get sick! I had the flu right before Christmas and it was the first time I’d been sick in years!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..There’s No Perfect

10 dotsie February 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

yep, we do floor presses but i’ve only done them in the powerlifting classes my box offers. isn’t it fun and interesting?!

that breakfast looks devine!

11 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 25, 2013 at 10:39 am

Love honeydew, I had some for the first time in awhile the other day too. Fruit coming back in season is making me really happy!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Ski Weekend at Lake Placid

12 [email protected] February 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m pretty curious about trying Crossfit, but now that you mention it I don’t think I’ll be able to convince my germaphobe boyfriend to come with.
Your breakfast looks delish! I don’t notice a difference in taste when I use coconut oil for my eggs, but I absolutely love it for sitrfrys & baking! So good.

13 Maureen February 25, 2013 at 10:57 am

Everyone I know is raving about coconut oil, so I guess I’ll be jumping on that bandwagon soon. As for the weekend, Saturday night I went to see a few of my friends perform in a fundraiser for their new theater group. Love songs and cupcakes are not a bad way to spend a Saturday night.
Maureen recently posted..Motivation Monday

14 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 25, 2013 at 11:08 am

I still haven’t cooked with coconut oil but love using it as a moisturizer for my skin and hair. And it smells so good!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Roadtrippin’

15 Kristine February 25, 2013 at 11:20 am

Wait this is really funny. I did the same thing with coconut oil/eggs over the weekend and noticed no difference. Honestly I think a little bit of butter makes them taste the best but that’s just me 🙂 I did make pancakes using coconut oil to coat the pan and found THAT made them taste amazing.

I did two runs yesterday – a beautiful Golden Gate Bridge/Coastal trail run, and then the Lyon Street Stairs in San Francisco for some hills – exhausting but felt so great! Trying to get back into 1/2 PR shape!
Kristine recently posted..Oh Yeah… Training.

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 25, 2013 at 11:42 am

I cheered my dad on during the Cowtown Marathon yesterday. He PR’ed!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..There’s No Place Like Home

17 Meghann February 25, 2013 at 11:52 am

Go, Dad! Good for him!

18 Sarah February 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

ooh i see guys doing that at the gym a lot. i haven’t tried it yet! this weekend i ate blackberry pancakes from cracker barrel after running 14 hilly miles with a friend. Flying Pig, here we come! 🙂
Sarah recently posted..Back on Track 🙂

19 Barry Wright, III February 25, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I find that floor press is generally easier up to a certain point (roughly bodyweight) because of the decreased ROM, but eventually the lack of leg drive does kick in to make it harder than a standard bench. Great alternative movement though.
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Control Therapy

20 Angela February 25, 2013 at 1:30 pm

That paragraph about the germs gave me the heebie jeebies. I am a germaphobe.
Angela recently posted..Sunday Inspiration

21 [email protected] February 25, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I have been cooking eggs in coconut oil for about a week, deeeelicious!
[email protected] recently posted..Leg Day Woes

22 Annette @FitnessPerks February 25, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I think it’d be so gross to lie on the floor without a mat…. but I guess that’s just me?! 😉

looks like a yummy b-fast!

23 KatieTX February 25, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I teach a group strength training class (not BodyPump), and we do our presses on the floor 95% of the time. I am so surprised you have never done them that way before!