more ยป" />

The Next Adventure

by Meghann on February 21, 2013

I’m in! Look out, Rocketman Triathlon, I’m coming at ya!

Screen shot 2013-02-20 at 11.57.25 AM.png

Because of the insane fee I had to pay for Ironman Florida and the pretty penny I just spent on my new B16, my racing budget is very limited this year. I’m only signing up for one or triathlons leading up to IMFL (unless I see a really good deal pop for a race between now and then) and decided to pick my hometown inaugural race, the Rocketman Triathlon, as one of them.

336720_273964962704962_1165112088_o.jpg

I’m really excited about this race. Not only are two of my siblings also participating, but the starting line isn’t far from my parents’ house. That means we all have a free place to stay on race weekend and my parents won’t have to travel far to cheer us on. Plus, it’s a great excuse to hang out with the fam.

Not only that, I’m particularly interested in the bike course of this race. The course takes cyclists through the previously off-limit back roads of Kennedy Space Center. When they were scouting land for KSC in the early 60s, they wanted a large, empty land plot that was separated from the rest of society. Once they settled on land, they bought all the surrounding inhabitants’ land (long story short, my grandparents were grouped in with those land owners who were bought out by the government) and turned the surrounding area into a national wildlife preserve, the majority of which has remained off limits to the public.

When the space shuttle program came to an end a couple of years ago, and private companies started moving into KSC, they began to open up some of those roads to cyclists for various occasions (KSC hosted an employee friends and family ride last October). From what I’ve heard, the ride is gorgeous. You’re surrounded by natural Florida wetlands, it isn’t uncommon to see an alligator, and the views of the space center itself are worth the ride. You’re basically escaping reality when you’re out there.

Screen shot 2013-02-21 at 10.04.27 AM.png

Because of the unique set up of the bike course, the bike route distances are a little more than a traditional triathlon.

• Classic + (7:30am start)
  • Swim 1/4 mile, Bike 33 miles, Run 3.1 miles
  • International + (7:15am start)
  • Swim .93 miles, Bike 33 miles, Run 6.2 miles
  • Half Iron (6:30am start)
  • Swim 1.2 miles, Bike 56 miles, Run 13.1 miles

I’ve registered for the “classic distance” which has the same swim and run distance as your typical sprint triathlon, but a 33 mile bike ride instead of the typical 12 mile. Since my bike is my weakest sport, I’m actually excited for this set up. The extra miles will give me some much needed race time and experience in my saddle.

The Rocketman Triathlon is May 5th – plenty of time to get my training in gear before race day. I’m pumped and excited for this new challenge. It’s going to be a great race. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you ever done a race in your hometown?

Maddie and I stuck with our training schedule this morning and did our traditional easy Thursday morning run. Today we picked the mileage up to 4 miles, but stuck with our 9:30ish pace.

I made a bowl of fruit and nuts with a side of egg for breakfast.

I had my heart set on eggs and was a little disappointed when I pulled the egg carton out and there was only one egg left. I tried to pump the single egg up with spinach and feta cheese, but it still looks a little puny.

I paired my lonely egg with a big bowl of apple and peach covered with almond butter and walnuts.

That filled me up.

TIme to get this day started.

Have a great Thursday!

1 Samantha Angela February 21, 2013 at 10:38 am

That race sounds really cool!

2 Amelia February 21, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m pretty sure you are a “RocketWOMAN”. You never cease to amaze me with how many races/ triathalons/ marathons etc that you can do. One day I’m going to check my reader and the title will read: “I’m headed to the Olympics”. ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

That sounds like an awesome race! I can’t imagine being able to ride around the Kennedy Space Center. Can’t wait to read all about it!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW: He Cooks!

4 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 21, 2013 at 10:57 am

I don’t think there’s EVER been a race in my tiny home town! It’d be really cool if there was though ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Recipe: Healthy Gluten Free Crab Cakes

5 Genelle February 21, 2013 at 11:03 am

That looks so much fun! Good luck with the 33 miles bike ride but I’m positive you’ll breeze through it with your B16.
Genelle recently posted..Healthy Living Survey

6 Kayla February 21, 2013 at 11:03 am

That bike route sounds great. I have done 5 marathons but have never done the very popular Portland marathon where I live. My plan is to do it this year though!
Kayla recently posted..Controversy: The Hobby Jogger?

7 Paige February 21, 2013 at 11:20 am

Sounds fun!

I consider the closer bigger towns my hometowns and do those since my actual hometown is super small and doesn’t hold races.

8 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 21, 2013 at 11:21 am

that bike ride looks super cool! I have done lots of races in my hometown, and a few where I currently live. They do have a marathon and half marathon in the town where I live now that I haven’t been able to do yet, but am looking forward to hopefully doing it this year – it runs right past my house!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..2!

9 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 21, 2013 at 11:40 am

Ooh, your race just got real! It sounds like it will be a lot of fun! I’d love to check out the back areas of a space center–I think it would be really interesting, and since some of it’s a wildlife preserve, I bet it will be some nice scenery. I’ve never done a race in my hometown, but I am signed up for a half marathon in my hometown in May, so I’ll be able to add that to my list.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Trying New Gear

10 Annette @FitnessPerks February 21, 2013 at 11:55 am

That does sound like a super fun/cool race. FL seems to have a lot of those ๐Ÿ˜‰

11 Laura February 21, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Are you running Gasparilla Race this weekend?
I am volunteer in the Conventional Center on Saturday

12 MealsAndMiles February 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’m not, but I’ll be cheering on the course!

13 Caitlin February 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I’m basically eating what you had for breakfast, for lunch. Except I also threw in some chocolate chips with my fruit- cause why the heck not??

14 Sarah February 21, 2013 at 12:37 pm

That sounds like fun! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been trying to get more eggs into my life and I made an amazing omelet with goat cheese and avocado! OH and I was accepted into the Disney College Program and I’m auditioning for Jasmine so you should definitely come see me at the parks! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll be running a few Disney races while I’m down there!

15 Emily N February 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm

that sounds like a GREAT triathlon!

16 [email protected] February 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Now I really want to do this race! I live in Orlando, so it’s close for me! Just don’t have a bike…I did one with a mountain bike once and I don’t care to repeat that nightmare. Looking forward to hearing how it goes!!

17 Simmie February 21, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I worked at KSC last summer and got to explore that whole area. It was super cool driving around and getting to see all where all those historic missions launched from. We definitely saw our fair share of alligators sunbathing and manatees swimming in the water. Lots of bugs though. I so wanted to do this race when I heard about…too bad it wasn’t a year earlier!
Simmie recently posted..Happy Valentineโ€™s Day

18 Jackie February 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’m so jealous you’re doing this one! It’s unfortunately right around my due date so clearly I won’t be participating, but I wanted to so bad. Also wanted to do the family and friends bike ride a few months ago but that required my husband (who works there) to do it and he can’t take more than 3 miles in the saddle before he feels violated. Too bad. Have a good race!

19 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

That sounds like a really interesting race, and great that you’ll have some family time! I’m from Kansas City so we have quite a few races, although I’ve only done a Turkey Trot twice with my dad and cousins and then the Susan G Komen through downtown twice with my dad!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

20 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm

That race sounds great! I’ve never done a triathlon since the water part kinda irks me but the running and bike part sounds like a blast! I love races that are close to friends and fam too ๐Ÿ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Three Things Thursday

21 Katie February 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm

My hometown usually has a 5k in may (which I’m hoping to do this year) and they always have a Quarter Marathon, I’ve participated in that the last 2 years and really love it because its part trail part road race.
Katie recently posted..Mid Week 1 Update

22 Christine @ BookishlyB February 21, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I did a half in my home town and it was pretty great, despite the worst weather conditions I’d ever run in before. Nostalgia can be quite distracting!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

23 Lori February 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I’m signed up for that race also, but the International distance. I did it for the bike too – pretty awesome to be able to ride through KSC!

24 PeachyLau February 21, 2013 at 3:54 pm

That is so cool that you can run with your siblings. I wish my sister would get into running. I offered her a pair of trainers lol lets see if it will motivate her when the weather improves.
PeachyLau recently posted..Bodypump during my lunch break

25 Krystle February 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Since i live in Titusville, we go to Playalind beach ALL the time, and i LOVE the drive out there. Its like being in some foreign land full of nature, animals, and wetlands/beach. I am glad that KSC is allowing the public to enjoy the unused land. It would be such a waste if people didnt have the opportunity to see what REAL Florida nature looks like. And to experience it on a bike should be nothing less than perfection! I can’t wait to see you photos from the race! Good luck to you and your sibling!!!

26 Elizabeth @ Positive Change February 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Sounds like a great race! I hate when you only have 1 egg left!!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted..โ€œCrispyโ€ Chicken Tenders

27 Sonia the Mexigarian February 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I tend to stick around my hometown area for races. The furthest I have gone was down to Monterey for the Big Sur 1/2 and the Big Sur 9 miler. Luckily, my mother in law lives in the area so we stay with her for any races down there. Debating how to deal with the RnR SF 1/2 in April. Drive up in the morning or find a place in the city the night before. . .
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Balls all over. . . Chocolate Cherry Coconut Chia Protein Balls

28 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes February 21, 2013 at 7:31 pm

The tri sounds really neat! I’m pretty sure there was an ad for it in Triathlete magazine, and I remember thinking it sounded really cool. My first triathlon was actually in my hometown–and I’m registered to do it again this year. ๐Ÿ™‚
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..MuckFest MS Mud Run

29 tiffany @dynamics of happy February 21, 2013 at 8:59 pm

i stalked you in instagram and you look SO fabulous in your short curled hair, i love it so much!!!! can you do a tutorial for how you curled your hair? thx!
tiffany @dynamics of happy recently posted..anorexia is considered a MEDICAL EMERGENCY!

30 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Thank you! There was another request for a hair tutorial, too. I’ll see if I can figure out how to film myself and get on it!

31 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm

My goal this year is to run a race a month…my poor bank account. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Trainerโ€™s Tip Thursday / 20 Minute Circuit

32 Chuck February 22, 2013 at 2:01 am

That’s a really cool distance and will be some much fun to do with you family members! I’ve done races close to home and its to nice to get a home cooked meal the night before… and after!
Chuck recently posted..Back to Life