A Surprise Mile

by Meghann on February 21, 2013

If having a late morning business meeting down the street from your favorite restaurant isn’t the perfect excuse to stop in for lunch, then I’m not sure what is.

P9220009.JPG

Hello, Bricks, I’ve missed you!

My meeting ended at twelve on the dot and I headed straight to The Bricks for one of their famous pressed sandwiches. After perusing the menu, the server sold me on their special of the day: their twist on a cordon bleu.

20130221_123730.jpg

The sandwich had chicken, thick slices of ham, swiss cheese, and a spicy honey dijon sauce, all sandwiched between two slices of wheat bread and pressed.

20130221_123732.jpg

It was a delicious sandwich. I ate all of one half and then just the inside of the other half.

After lunch I had to have a couple of cavities filled. Ugh. Not fun. When the dentist first walked in he looked at my teeth and told me “these won’t be bad, I won’t even have to numb you.” Gulp. No numbing? I politely asked if he minded if I listened to a book on my ipod while he drilled and he was fine with it.

I’m pretty sure listening to that book saved me. I sort of zoned out into the storyline and did my best to ignore the drilling going on in my non-numbed mouth. He did accidentally hit a nerve at one point (OW!), otherwise it was just a lot of scary noise and no pain. The whole process took about 30 minutes and I’ll admit it was nice leaving the dentist without having to worry if I had drool running down my chin. A big lip you can’t feel is never fun.

Since I had swim practice on the same side of town later in the day, I settled into a nearby coffee shop and worked for a few hours from there.

Swim practice was definitely needed tonight. I had a lot on my mind and was able to leave it all at the pool. Swimming can be just as therapeutic as running if you let it. Coach put us through a good workout. I felt really rusty in the beginning, but eventually found my groove and just went with it.

• 350 warm up
  • 3 x 50 progressive easy to hard
  • 8 x 100 w/10 secs rest
  • 1 x 300 for time (5:17)
  • 5 x 50 (25 easy, 25 hard)
  • 150 cool down
  • Total: 2000 yds

After practice, we did a quick change into our running clothes (million thanks to Jess and Steph for letting me borrow some running essentials tonight!) for a quick session on the track. Coach is trying to incorporate more back-to-back workouts into our training, including impromptu speed runs after swim practice.

We weren’t sure what to expect, but were promised it was going to be quick. He had us do a short warm up around the track before telling us we were going to run a timed mile. A timed mile? What? I’m tired, hungry, and I haven’t run a timed mile in years – I give you no promises. Unfortunately there wasn’t a chance to argue, he yelled “go!” almost as soon as he announced what we were doing.

Last Sunday I made the mistake of going out way too fast in our speed work session. I was determined not to make the same mistake tonight. I resisted the urge of trying to keep up with super-speedy Jess on that first lap and found a consistent rhythm I knew I could stick with for all four laps instead. It worked. I found my pace and kept at it.

Steph was just behind me for all four laps and on the final turn I could feel her gaining speed. I fed off her desire to pull ahead and gunned it for the last 200 or so meters. I ended up coming in 3 seconds ahead of Steph at 6:55. I need to run with Steph more often, we’re about the same speed and I think we could really push each other to get some awesome times.

Also, super happy with that 6:55. Not my fastest mile ever, but not bad for a random Thursday night where I wasn’t expecting to run one. I hope we start doing timed miles more often, with a little prep, I’d love to see what I can get that time down to.

Derek and I made roasted vegetables with meatballs and marinara sauce for dinner.

20130221_204641.jpg

I love roasted veggies with marinara sauce. This meal was comfort in a bowl.

And a mini cupcake for dessert.

20130221_205423.jpg

It was a good day, but I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Good night!

When’s the last time you ran a mile as fast as you could for time?

1 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Sounds like you had quite the day! I hate the sound of having cavities filled. I had some surprise fillings done one day (thought I was getting sealant, but wound up having cavities) and didn’t have my iPod and having to deal with the whine of the drill was awful. It sounds like you made the most of your day. Congrats on your speedy pants mile! I don’t think I’ve run a timed mile since high school.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Changing up my Running Shoes

2 Caitlin February 21, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Hi Meghann!

I’ve been reading your blog for several months now, and love it! I check it almost everyday πŸ™‚ I notice that you and your husband make great, healthy meals that don’t look too complicated. My boyfriend and I love love love to cook, but we are both busy/poor doctoral students. Lately, we have been struggling with coming up with grocery lists that include healthy and easy meals without breaking the bank. Is there a certain strategy that you use when you go to the store? Any suggestions for meal planning?

Thanks!

Caitlin

3 Meghann February 22, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I really, really hate to waste food, so I always load up at veggies at the store on Sunday and make it my goal to eat all the vegetables before the week is over. Usually that means getting pretty creative in the kitchen with random dishes that involve a lot of roasted vegetables. My advice is to not be afraid to get creative and have your vegetables, fruit, and protein be the largest part of your grocery list.

4 beka @ rebecca roams February 21, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Great workout! I am tempted to go back to The Bricks for a redeux of the night we had dinner with PM Kevin. I liked my sandwich, but I really want to go for just the food and give something else on the menu a whirl.
Great time on your mile Meghann. I am tempted to see what I clock in with – never timed myself on a mile before.
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Playlist Thursday – Shake Yo’ Rump Mix!

5 Stacey @starpulp February 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Yes! The past two years I’ve run the Tour de Pain in Jacksonville (the one in August). It’s a 4 mile beach run Friday night, 5k road race Saturday morning and a one mile sizzlah Saturday early evening! I love the one mile. It’s so tough after the other two races plus it’s blazing hot that time of year. It’s a great challenge!
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Brio Tuscan Grille

6 Christine @ BookishlyB February 22, 2013 at 12:44 am

Honestly, I probably haven’t done a mile for time since like 6th grade. I think I’m a little scared. And no numbing? Dang! I would have insisted; I can barely handle a cleaning.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

7 Becky @ runfundone February 22, 2013 at 12:47 am

Do you have those mini cupcakes sitting in your house? And you managed to eat just one for dessert??? You’ve got some amazing self control! I could never manage that!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..The Great Solo Adventure!

8 Meghann February 22, 2013 at 1:31 pm

haha I’m actually glad I was away from the house today otherwise I might have casually ate the entire plate through the day.

9 PeachyLau February 22, 2013 at 3:31 am

I never do speed work but I think I need to get to it this year I get a sub 2h 1/2 marathon.
PeachyLau recently posted..Bodypump during my lunch break

10 PeachyLau February 22, 2013 at 3:32 am

I never do speed work but I think I need to get to it this year to get a sub 2h 1/2 marathon.
PeachyLau recently posted..Bodypump during my lunch break

11 [email protected] February 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

I would probably say that I haven’t every really done a 1-mile time trial. Except during my last 5k and I am sure that doesn’t count.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Jambalaya and Flight

12 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 22, 2013 at 8:06 am

I haven’t run a timed mile since high school… and dang your time is awesome! I love listening to my ipod at the dentist.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Make Your Health a Priority!

13 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 22, 2013 at 8:26 am

I haven’t done a times mile in forever bc I’m kinda afraid if what it would say lol I’ve been slacking on sprints :/ I had meatballs earlier this week and they really are fantastic.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

14 Emily N February 22, 2013 at 8:45 am

I don’t know that I could handle the noise of the drilling, but having the book would help, I think!
Emily N recently posted..Running for Stress relief

15 christina February 22, 2013 at 8:53 am

Did you ask him why he thought he should fill the cavities if they weren’t very deep? My dentist won’t do cavities that don’t require numbing because teeth regenerate and usually those surficial cavities can naturally be treated by your own body. Just wondering – think you should keep them accountable so they don’t scam you πŸ™‚

16 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

Nothing better than cupcakes for dessert!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Flashback Friday #3

17 Melissa February 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDE…what?? NO NOVOCAINE??

I mean, did I read this right? How on earth did you survive getting cavities filled without Novocaine? Girl, you have balls of steel, lol! I ask my dentist to pump me full of it because I don’t want to feel a thing. In fact, I often have to get MORE during the procedure because it wears off fast. Plus, I have the iPod cranked up high (hate the noise) and sometimes I get the nitrous oxide gas too. Can you tell I am terrified of the dentist? πŸ™‚

18 Emily February 22, 2013 at 11:32 am

What a cute lunch spot!
Emily recently posted..NIGHT/DAY WITH BELTS: 2 EASY LOOKS

19 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners February 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm

you are far braver than i! even when they say i don’t need to be numbed, i ask for it. i was traumatized as a kid at the dentist and it has taken me a long time to get over it! my current dentist is the best though, much better than years ago!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

20 Clara February 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm

My last timed mile was when I had to do it in PE at school. πŸ˜€ That cupcake looks so yummy!!!! πŸ™‚

21 The Many Thoughts of a Reader February 22, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I hate the dentist. I’m impressed with your mile time!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..March Group Read Suggestions

22 Erin @ Loop Looks February 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm

The one time I ran a timed mile I think I pretty much crashed and burned. Your 6:55 is my dream time πŸ™‚

And meatballs with roasted veggies (do I spy some purple potatoes?) and marinara sauce sounds amazing. I haven’t been that much into pasta recently so I love the idea of skipping it all together but still eating the “toppings”.
Erin @ Loop Looks recently posted..Pass On the Polka Dots

23 Courtney February 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I haven’t run a timed mile in years! I remember getting ~6:30 though!
Courtney recently posted..Bloglovin’

24 Gianna February 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm

My Dad is my dentist, so that is one fear I never had. Made getting cavities filled a non daunting task!

I haven’t run a mile for time in so long. I am pretty sure I would not be impressed with my time!
Gianna recently posted..Traveling Fun and Workouts

25 Sonia the Mexigarian February 22, 2013 at 3:39 pm

ugh, i hate the dentist. I actually need some calm me down pills before I go because I my anxiety goes through the roof. the sound of the drill kills me and I can’t imagine not having novicane. if a dentist is working in my mouth, they sure as hell better bring on the numbing agent. lol.

i can only dream of doing a 6:55 mile. wow. I’m lucky if I even get down to a 9.

how long are your swim practices, typically?
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Peace, Scream, Recycle. . .

26 Melissa February 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm

6:55? That’s fast to me! My best is 7:48.

27 Steph @321delish February 22, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I’ll happily run with you! I think we’re good for each other; I wouldn’t have gotten through my 17-miler without you last year:-)
Steph @321delish recently posted..Fun at the Florida State Fair

28 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I haven’t run a timed mile since junior high! Thanks for posting your swim workouts, they really give me great ideas to mix up my swims. I can remember what it was like to be on a team and have a coach when I do them!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..The Poor Man’s Pinterest

29 Mcpherson Dentist February 22, 2013 at 5:01 pm

At least you were able to enjoy such delicious looking food before going to the dentist. Sorry about the nerve. That is never fun when those get bumped. But at least there wasn’t much pain overall!

30 Kelly @ Running to Healthy February 22, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Honestly, I think middle school?? Ha! I do run for endurance since I am not the quickest girl in the neighborhood. I’ve been wanting to improve my time though so I should do this and get a baseline for myself. I’m running the Gasparilla 15K tomorrow so maybe mid-week I’ll time the mile.
Kelly @ Running to Healthy recently posted..2013 Disney Half Marathon: The Final Push

31 First time marathoner February 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

Your dinner looks fantastic!! Do you have the recipe posted? I didn’t see it on the list on your blog but if you are willing to share, it looks delish! πŸ™‚