From Veggies to Cupcakes

by Meghann on February 20, 2013

Do you ever have those days where you’re too lazy to dirty a plate so you just eat your lunch off the cutting board?

Definitely had one of those today.

Today’s lunch was a classic snack plate – green beans, carrot sticks, hummus, and peanut butter on one side.

And crackers, apple slices, cheese, and cucumber on the other.

I mixed and matched everything; eating cheese, cucumber, and hummus in one bite, then cracker, cheese, and apple in another. I love the flavor variety in snack plate meals.

I had a special delivery today from Ready, Set, Cupcake!

Ready, Set Cupcake! is a frozen, all natural, no mix and no mess cake batter and butter cream frosting that I’ve recently seen pop up in the freezer section at Whole Foods. The company contacted me last week to see if I was interested in sampling the product, and I’ll admit the unique concept had me interested.

IMG_8894.jpg IMG_8899.jpg

The cupcake batter and frosting are sold separately in the freezer section. Both come pre-frozen in pastry bags, which take about 30 minutes to defrost when placed in a bowl of cold water.

Once the batter is defrosted you knead the bag to loosen everything up.

Then cut the tip and squeeze the batter directly into a cupcake tin.

The single pouch was good for 12 mini cupcakes (edited to add: the box says a single pouch will make 24, but I only got 12). On the box it suggests making a couple of cupcakes at a time and saving the batter for when ever you’re in the mood for a fresh cupcake. Not a bad idea.

I’ll admit it was nice not having to dirty any extra bowls or spoons for the batter. It really is a no mess approach to making semi-homemade cupcakes. Sort of like the cookie dough that comes in a roll.

While the cupcakes cooled, I got to work on the frosting, which went through a similar defrosting process.

IMG_8924.jpg

Taking the box’s advice, I decided to add two tablespoons of peanut butter to the icing to mix it up a bit.

The icing at the top of the bag was a little more peanut buttery than the icing on the bottom (kneading the peanut butter and icing together in the pastry bag was a little wonky) , but it did the trick.

I cut the bottom of the pastry bag and a pastry tip was revealed. The bag/tip combo made icing the cupcakes a breeze.

Ta-da!

The chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing were delicious. The cupcake was moist and fresh, and the icing was rich and thick.

I also enjoyed how easy the cupcake making process was – no mess, no fuss, just cupcakes. Even a non-baker like myself couldn’t mess this up.

However, the product itself is a little pricey for how much you get (edited to add: prices were recently lowered to $5.99 (batter) and $6.99 (buttercream frostings) ). I honestly can’t say I would ever buy this product on my own based on price alone. Maybe if I was in a pinch, but then having to wait 30+ minutes for the batter to defrost wouldn’t work in that scenario. Ready, Set, Cupcake! recently introduced a gluten free and dairy free version of their batter and frosting, which I could see as something I would buy if I needed to make gluten free or dairy free cupcakes or cakes for a friend with allergies. There’s definitely possibilities there.

What do you think of the Ready, Set, Cupcake! concept?

1 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 20, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I think that the concept is genius and definitely appealing but I don’t see myself buying it just because I am a cheapo. I’d have to be in a real pinch to spring for it.

2 Lara February 20, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Hmm, I don’t know how I feel about this whole having to defrost the batter business. Normal cupcake mixes only require the addition of three ingredients typically (eggs, oil and water I think?). Why the need to simplify something that’s already so simple? But they do look tasty!

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm

What a neat concept! From the sounds of it, price would probably scare me away and I don’t often make cupcakes so I probably wouldn’t have a need to buy them very often anyway, but like I said, I do like the IDEA.

4 Ally February 20, 2013 at 10:43 pm

So how much did it cost?

5 Krystina February 20, 2013 at 10:48 pm

No, I find that when I’m home all day, taking time to wash one plate doesn’t really require too much energy.

6 jessica February 21, 2013 at 12:28 am

and now you are just washing a cutting board instead of a plate….

7 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:35 am

But if you’re cutting all your veggies on the cutting board then it’s dirty anyway. This just saves you from dirtying a plate on top of the cutting board. Unless you cut all your vegetables on your plates, then you must have some crazy scratch-resistant plates.

8 Brianne February 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Adding one plate to the dishwashing lineup takes about 20 seconds. I really don’t understand being to lazy to wash a plate.

9 jlr February 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’ve eaten off a cutting board before….what’s the point of getting a plate out if it’s just me and I just used the cutting board anyway?

10 Liz February 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm

It seems pricey and a lot of extra packaging waste for not a lot of time savings. It’s not like a box of cupcake mix requires a lot of energy. Maybe it saves a bowl, but it creates a lot more trash.

11 Steph February 20, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hmm, it’d be neat to try, but I think I’ll go the homemade or box route. I’ve seen them at WF and have noticed the price. Maybe when the new-ness of it the price will lower a bit. They do look scrumptious though!

12 Annie February 20, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Just curious, how much does it retail for in stores?

13 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:39 am

I believe it’s $6 – $7 a box, which is why I claimed that it’s too pricey for what you get.

14 Lindsay February 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm

How is that more expensive than if you bought a box of cake mix and the ingredients you need to make it, plus pre-made frosting?

15 A February 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm

A box of cake mix costs less than two dollars, one egg and a 1/4 cup of oil cost less than 50 cents. A container of frosting costs probably three dollars, at the most. Way less than approximatley 14 dollars for the two boxes of that stuff. And a box of cake mix will make more than a dozen full size cupcakes.

16 Lindsay February 21, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Well, when you compare with the cheapest of cake mixes, maybe it’s not fair. But the “nice” cake mixes and frostings run upwards of $5 each in my area. I still wouldn’t buy this product, I just wanted to point out the irony that Meghann thinks $6 is a lot for this product but never saw anything wrong with the $20 nature box full of two nuts and a fig. As always, she’s not someone I would ever take food advice from.

17 Kristin February 20, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I love eating off the cutting board- it’s one less thing to clean!

These cupcakes look interesting. Do you have to use peanut butter for the icing or are there other options?

18 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:38 am

You can do what ever you want. On the box they suggest adding jam for a fruitier icing, candy pieces, or cookie pieces.

19 Erin February 20, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Those cupcakes are a cute idea, but how much did they cost?

Gosh I wish I could eat my lunch off a cutting board. Unfortunately, at the office that is sort of frowned upon…

20 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’ve brought a cutting board into an office before. I was tired of cutting my apple on paper plates so I stored a cutting board at my desk and just washed it in the office kitchen sink when I was done. :)

The cupcakes are $6- $7 a package I believe, a little pricey if you ask me.

21 Hope February 21, 2013 at 2:01 am

Snack plate would be just that for me, a snack! There’s no way that your lunch would satisfy me – maybe I just have a bigger appetite!

22 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

It I were to chop all of those vegetables, fruit, and cheese into bite size pieces and placed them on a bed of lettuce and called it a salad would that make you feel better? Just think of a “snack plate” as a deconstructed salad, only there’s less filler (lettuce) and more of the yummy stuff (veggies, cheese, fruit, hummus, and PB). There was plenty of food on the plate that kept me full and satisfied.

23 Morgan February 21, 2013 at 5:50 am

Wait… You are still going to wash the cutting board, right? I am confused.

24 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:31 am

Yes, the cutting board was washed before I used it and I washed it afterwards. I only cut the vegetables, fruit, and cheese on there. I was simply stating that there was no point of getting another plate out that I would have to wash if the cutting board did the job just fine.

25 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 21, 2013 at 6:41 am

I like the concept of it, but depending on the cost of the product I’d maybe consider just buying cupcakes if I needed. However, that might be a fun thing to have for kids since it looks pretty easy to do and you can get them involved without making a huge mess!

26 Paige February 21, 2013 at 7:36 am

A lot of people don’t have the luxury to stay at home all day. I find it insulting that you are “too lazy” to wash a single dish. (Your words, not mine.)

Also, if you don’t wash the cutting board, you do realize that is super dirty, right?

27 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:29 am

The only items I cut on the cutting board were the vegetables, cheese, and fruit. It was washed before I used it and I washed it afterwards, I was just stating that there was no point of getting another plate out to dirty on top of the cutting board. And, yes, I do work at home all day, but I’m on my computer working and not in the kitchen or twiddling my thumbs. Just because someone is self employed or works from home does not mean they have a lot of free time.

28 Erin February 22, 2013 at 10:56 am

I think a great idea for a post would be about how you spend your day/manage your work – as someone who always thought it would be great to work from home, I’m sure there are negatives that I wouldn’t know about unless I did work from home. If people are imagining you twiddling your thumbs all day, then maybe show them the time commitment of your blogging and event planning as best you can (I’m sure it varies day-to-day and even month-to-month). Just my thoughts on how you could change that perception (if you are even interested in doing so).

29 Lara February 21, 2013 at 9:57 am

Paige – why is it ‘insulting’ to you how someone chooses to wash their dishes? I’m pretty sure it doesn’t affect you at all. Why all the negativity? Sad.

30 Caitlin February 21, 2013 at 11:12 am

grasping at straws to be negative? geezezzzz.

31 Paige February 21, 2013 at 11:18 am

A few people pointed out the dirty cutting board. Clearly, I am not alone in my thoughts.

I really (really) like reading your blog but as someone who works two jobs, yes, I find it insulting when you say you don’t have time for simple tasks. Also, I don’t understand why when someone disagrees with something it is automatically deemed as negative. She called herself lazy and I agreed.

32 Emily February 21, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I have to agree with Paige here. It seems like a strange thing to share so publicly, and even to ask in the form of a question, if you were not inviting people to disagree with you. I also work from home, and do not own a dishwasher, but I personally could not imagine eating a meal off a cutting board (my husband and I keep a stash of paper plates under the sink for that exact purpose).

33 Sarah February 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

paper plates = waste. don’t brag about using them.

34 Kel February 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm

buuuut Sarah, if Emily doesn’t own a dishwasher, maybe the paper plates actually end up creating less waste since they aren’t wasting water by washing tons of dishes all the time and adding to the demand for water treatment? (YAY INTERNET FIGHTS!)

35 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 21, 2013 at 7:42 am

Interesting! I like making my own though and it seems like box mixes would be just as easy.

36 Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles February 21, 2013 at 7:57 am

This is really interesting and I will have to look for it. The frosting intrigues more more than the batter. Because it is already in that pastry bag.

The Kidless Kronicles

37 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:26 am

Agree. It’s so much easier than messing with the stuff from a regular container and the stuff I try to make at home never works out. I’ve yet to find the right balance of ingredients for a thick, rich homemade icing. I’ve tried a few recipes, but I think I need to concede to the fact that I’m the one with the icing problem, not the recipes. :)

38 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife February 21, 2013 at 8:29 am

what a cute idea. i’d have to try it at least once!

39 Katie @ balanced RD February 21, 2013 at 8:51 am

I’ve never seen cupcake mix like that! It definitely looks interesting and delicious! When I was in grad school and mostly had night class I loved the fact that I could eat lunch at home every day! It’s so nice :)

40 Lisa February 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

So, 12 MINI cupcakes?! I could get behind the concept if they were regular sized cupcakes. But mini cupcakes donts seem worth my time, effort, and money!

41 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 9:24 am

You can make 12 mini cupcakes or 6 regular cupcakes or a 8 inch round cake with the amount of batter in the package.

42 Hope February 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm

That is incredibly expensive. There is an incredibly bakery near me where I can buy 12 full size cupcakes for that price. Very neat idea, just way too much money.

43 Hope February 21, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Uh…incredible bakery. Not incredibly.

44 Lindsay February 21, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Must be nice. I live in DC and cupcakes are $3.50 a piece. Although I’m not lazy enough to buy a box like this, I still think it’s a pretty good price point

45 Hope February 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Sorry, I meant 6! Still better than DC prices, ouch!

46 Katie February 21, 2013 at 9:17 am

I don’t think it would be for me. I’m trying to get away from pre-made and more into whole foods. I’m curious what the ingredients list looks like. Since I have zero knowledge of gluten free baking, I would maybe buy them if I had a gluten free friend I needed to provide for at a party.

47 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 21, 2013 at 9:56 am

I love that you just ate off the cutting board – totally something that I would do. . .

48 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 21, 2013 at 10:43 am

What a cool idea! Those have to be the easiest cupcakes ever to make, and they look delicious! I kind of love baking and making a mess in the kitchen..but if I was in a pinch these look like a great option.

49 Maureen February 21, 2013 at 10:48 am

I kinda love the idea of “Ready, Set, Cupcake.” I like baking, but sometimes it can be a real hassle, especially dealing with the pastry bags for frosting. I may give it a try, but it would have to be at the right price.

50 Meredith February 21, 2013 at 11:08 am

I typically bake everything fresh from scratch so I am not sure that I would buy the product. However, I think it is a great concept for people looking to bake healthier goodies and works great to have on hand. I would consider it as something to have on hand but if it is pricey I may rethink the possible purchase. I will definitely check it out though when I am in Whole Foods!

51 Army Amy* February 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I made cupcakes a few weeks back (from a box) but I didn’t need to make very many since they were just for me and my husband. After a little reading online, I found out that you can freeze the left over batter in a plastic baggie. When I was ready to make more cupcakes, I put the frozen batter baggie into the fridge overnight. It was defrosted in the morning, and I simply sniped the tip and squeezed the batter into the cupcake pan.

This reminded me of it. Super easy trick the next time you have extra batter!

52 MealsAndMiles February 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Great tip! Thanks

53 Kristin February 21, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Whenever I make or buy cupcakes, I stick most of them in the freezer. They thaw fine and then I’m not tempted to eat a few in one sitting, which has been known to happen :)

54 Emily N February 21, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I like the concept, but if the price is not worth it, then honestly, its not worth it to me. Plus, there is so little experimentation which is half the fun!

55 Sarah February 21, 2013 at 1:30 pm

wow…did everyone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?! what’s with all the negativity about a cutting board and a dish?!

if people continue to hate like this, then meghan (and other bloggers) won’t share these minute details of life that make people so real – and lifestyle blogs so interesting.

56 Hope February 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Wait. Are people really upset that you used a cutting board as your plate?? I do that. I do it at home and *gasp* at my office, too.

Maybe look at it from a “green” aspect. One less dish to wash = less water used.

Seems like a really, really silly thing to get worked up about.

57 Hope February 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Oops sorry M, I didn’t mean any offence by my comment about your snack plate being a snack – was genuinely questioning whether I possibly eat too much!! Lol

58 katie February 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I don’t understand- you say it made 12 mini cupcakes, but on the front of the box in the photo it says it makes 24 mini cupcakes. Were there 2 pouches in the box? What happened to the other 12?

59 Meghann February 21, 2013 at 4:26 pm

There was only one pouch in the box. My guess is I filled the tin too much and produced 12 mini cupcakes instead of 24.

60 Sara@RunningInPinkProject February 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Whoa- people are grumpy about your cutting board. :) Ive never eaten off my cutting board BUT I see where you are coming from. I dont think its a big deal or the point of your post for that matter. Now, the cupcakes-the nice bakery here in town is 3.00-3,50 per cupcake. On that standard your boxed cupcakes not a bad deal. However, they would have to taste just as awesome as the bakery cupcakes for me to justify buying a box- though I will admit, Im curious now!!

61 Erin @ The Elliptical Chronicles February 21, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Hmm, I’m partial to a whole cake vs. cupcakes (I like being able to fork my pastry, and biting into a cupcake is usually an awkward bite for me – weird, I know). However, I do like the the concept. And I think squeezing out the batter and icing through the pastry bag/tip looks like fun :D

Also, your snack plate looks delicious!

62 Melissa February 21, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I’d have to agree there. I’m making chocolate stout cupcakes for my friend’s bridal shower and she can’t have gluten. Luckily Trader Joe’s gluten free flour and gluten free beer from Total Wine made the process pretty painless!

63 Andrea February 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I tried Ready.Set.Cupcake! the other day (the chocolate flavor, too!) and thought the same about it only making a few cupcakes. However, after reading the box description, I realized I had filled my cupcake tin with too much batter and just spooned over the excess batter to the rest of the tins to make a full set of 12 cupcakes. A friend of mine tried the product using a mini cupcake tin and it made a full set of 24 cupcakes.

I thought the product was ingenious and delicious! I would definitely recommend it to all especially since it contains no preservatives or trans-fat.