Scratch Off

by Meghann on February 19, 2013

I never got around to posting last night’s dinner, but we had tostones, steak, and green beans.

Shout out to my brother and sister-in-law who got us this awesome grill pan for our wedding – we LOVE it!

And for dessert (only because I know you hate it when I forget to tell you when they’re BOGO at Publix, Jackie) a chocolate Vitatop.

I only buy them when they’re BOGO at Publix. So delicious, but usually so $$. I wish they went on sale more often!

We still had a leftover steak in the fridge by the time lunch rolled around, which inspired today’s delicious creation.

Hot open faced steak sandwiches. Can I get a holy yum?

I sliced the steak length-wise then layered it on some multigrain french bread with a drizzle of Trader Joe’s hummus dressing and sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I placed everything under the broiler just long enough to let the bread crisp, the steak to warm up, and the cheese to melt.

The entire creation was fabulous. An open faced sandwich is by far my favorite way to eat left over steak. πŸ™‚

On the side I had leftover tostones with ketchup

and cucumber slices.

My aunt and uncle sent a couple of scratch offs with my birthday card this year.

(p.s. Scratch off tickets are a great inexpensive birthday gift option. You only need to spend a couple of dollars on the tickets and it’s guaranteed to entertain the recipient – especially if they end up winning!)

20130219_152320-1.jpg

Baller! I won a $1.00!

When I worked at a grocery store in college I used to have customers who spent a good amount of time buying multiple scratch offs at the service counter. If they won $1.00, they would put that $1.00 towards another one. If they won $5.00, they would use that $5.00 to buy five more. The pattern would usually continue until they won big or they were out of scratch off tickets. I saw a few big winners, but I also saw a lot of losing tickets.

Are you a scratch-off fanatic?

Admittedly I’m probably the world’s saddest gambler. I’ll probably just keep the $1 and buy some gum with it. πŸ™‚

1 Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach February 19, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I LOVE a good scratch off! I remember my mom getting them all the time (she still does) when I was a kid. I thought of them for “old people” until the day I was about 20 and decided to buy one for fun and won $100!! My friends and I like sticking them in bday cards for fun too. πŸ™‚
Maria @ Pappa Don’t Preach recently posted..MIMM: You’re only as Old as you Feel

2 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm

what are tostones? they look good!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 2/17/13

3 Meghann February 19, 2013 at 4:21 pm
4 Reenie February 19, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I didn’t know either……I googled. They do look good.

5 Maureen February 19, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I rarely buy Scratchers, but will try my luck when I find a dollar on the ground. My old boss used to buy everyone 5 $1 Scratchers for Christmas. One of the employees won a few hundred dollars and brought in doughnuts to celebrate!
Maureen recently posted..Beach Day

6 RunInBoise February 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Scratch off are always fun. I have not bought a lottery ticket in SO long!
RunInBoise recently posted..Vitacost Review & Giveaway

7 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm

An open faced steak sandwich for lunch sounds amazing. I haven’t had steak in forever, I need to change that! I’m also a complete non-gambler. I went to Vegas for 4 days and gambled a grand total of $1.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..I’m Not Skinny (and I don’t want to be)

8 Meghann February 19, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I was in Vegas for 4 days and didn’t even gamble $1 πŸ™‚ It was still a ton of fun, though!

9 Caitlin February 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

We were in Vegas for like 15 hours and I gambled something ridiculous like a nickle that we happened to have on us. I went a few rounds before losing it.

10 Anne Weber-Falk February 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I never spend the winnings, ever. Makes me feel like I’m a little ahead. I used to work at a 7-11 in Chicago and would sell many scratch off and lotto tickets. I must have been a lucky seller because I sold a lot of winners. So many that people would get very happy and try to give some of the winnings as a reward. I always said no. Many would leave the $$ on the counter and walk out. One time I went to stock the cooler after refusing and the man followed me, opened the Pepsi door and threw the money at me. It was funny. I kept that money that time.

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 19, 2013 at 4:39 pm

My grandfather brings scratcher tickets to Christmas every year. After dessert he passes out 5 to everyone and then he has extras in case people win another ticket. If you win he takes your ticket and pays you right away. The kids (okay I) totally love it, we’ve been doing it since I can remember!!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Run Chicago & TV Online

12 Caitlin February 19, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I get a scratch off for my birthday and Christmas and we play the power ball when it gets big. I don’t consider myself to have an addictive personality and I can’t think of anything I’m addicted to (I’ve even given up coffee for long periods of time), but I could see myself getting addicted to scratch offs with the thought that “the next one might be the winner!”. I also think I’d be one of those people who’d play the same #’s over and over again.

13 [email protected] February 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I am a gambler (hello LAS VEGAS) but not much with the scratchers. Those little shavings get everywhere. But you did just remind me that I have one in my purse.

The Kidless Kronicles

14 Lindsay February 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Totally off topic, but I noticed you’ve been posting twice a day recently. Are you planning to cut down on your posting frequency?

15 Annette @FitnessPerks February 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I don’t gamble or do the scratch off stuff (have never even heard of ’em?) but happy for ya you get 1$!

mmmm open faced sandwiches rock–more ‘stuff’ to eat!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Pizza Fail in the Kitchen

16 Cher @ Weddicted February 19, 2013 at 6:31 pm

So weird to hear them called “scratch offs” or “scratchers.” In Canada everyone calls them “scratch tickets” and I’ve never heard them called anything else, lol.

If I win “a lot” (ie: $10+) then I’ll usually take the money and if it’s less, I’ll exchange for more tickets. I recently left a boring job that had me sitting 85% of the time with not a whole lot to do, so I had a period where I was entertaining myself with a lot of them ;p
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Wedding flowers: Peonies!

17 Jackie @ MomJovi February 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm

LOVE steak sandwiches. Love them. Made them on Friday night, too, using a Skinnytaste recipe (of course. I’m obsessed). We always put scratch tickets in everyone’s stockings at Christmas. One year, I won $70 across several tickets. Best Xmas ever!

Now excuse me while I make a run to Publix for Vitatops. I recently depleted my stash from the last BOGO round! Thanks for the heads up!
Jackie @ MomJovi recently posted..A Lot Happens When I Stay Home

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 19, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I’m not much of a gambler but when people get me scratch off tickets, I always have fun, whether I win or not!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Love Your Abs #3

19 meghan February 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I LOVE scratch off tickets!! They are so much fun! I’d almost rather buy those than the real lottery tickets because of the instant gratification. And I love the Vitatops too. I think the ad changes tomorrow, so I’ll have to snatch them up next time.
meghan recently posted..Number Two

20 Meghann February 19, 2013 at 8:29 pm

The ad changes on Thursday! You still have one more day to make a Publix run! πŸ™‚

21 [email protected] February 19, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I havent had a Vitatop in forever. Love those!!

22 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I always walk away with winnings. But I also never buy scratch offs or lotto tix. I’m a boring gambler lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Huge portions and the pretty marina

23 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 19, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I’m so jealous of people like you who are good at repurposing leftovers into new meals. I generally just heat up the same thing I had last night and eat it. πŸ™‚ My fiance’s family is big into scratch off tickets but I’ve always done poorly with the tickets I’ve been given, so I never go out and buy them for myself.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Long Run Reward = Fro Yo

24 Katie @ Balanced RD February 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I’m the same way with gambling! I would rather shop and see where my money is going to πŸ™‚

25 Laura February 19, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I can’t eat VitaTops anymore-they taste great but they give me the most horrendous gas! πŸ™ I think it’s the added fiber or something in them.

26 Katie February 20, 2013 at 9:44 am

I worked in a gas station, so I’m not a fan of scratch offs..but if I’m out at a bar for a lazy weekend lunch I can usually be talked into playing pull tabs. But even that is a few times a year, not a major habit.
Katie recently posted..Find Your Love