Monday’s Thoughts

by Meghann on February 18, 2013

I had a recipe fail in the kitchen this afternoon. I was trying something new that a cheese specialist at Whole Foods had recommended, but I couldn’t get it to work. It looked good, but the texture was way off.

Sigh. It’s back to the drawing board!

—–

I always smile when I see a popular pin on Pinterest that features a unique flavor combination.

Screen shot 2013-02-18 at 2.52.12 PM.png

Avocado, Strawberry, Balsamic, and Goat Cheese?! Doesn’t that so sound like something I would put together?!?

It reminds me that I’m not alone out there and putting random flavors together that wouldn’t traditionally work together, totally do. Now I just need to get my hands on some avocado, strawberries, and goat cheese.

Sometimes I think we forget it’s okay to laugh at ourselves. Life is too short to be taken too seriously. Live a little! Tell a bad joke! Stop worrying about what other people think!

joke.jpeg

(source)

Can you believe my brother and sister-in-law’s wedding was one year ago today?

IMG_9016.jpg

That year flew by!

Happy Anniversary, Ashley and Ben! Still as cute as ever. 🙂

—-

Speaking of weddings, I updated the Wedding Page today (yes, I’m still doing that). Click here for a copy of our wedding timeline (with a few timeline tips included!).

—-

What’s on your mind today?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 18, 2013 at 3:24 pm

That actually sounds really good….mm..
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Disney Dream Bucket List: Visiting Club 33 !

2 Caitlin February 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I was actually going to compliment you the other day on how great it is that you experiment so much in the kitchen. We eat in for 95% of our meals, and while each week I try 1 or 2 new recipes, I rarely just throw together recipes and wing it. I guess they can’t all work out though, huh??

3 Meghann February 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I’m in the middle of writing a post about my history with cooking and I think a lot of my abilities to experiment in the kitchen can be traced back to my dad. He was always great about “winging” it in the kitchen and taught me well.

4 RunInBoise February 18, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I love Pearls Before Swine. I am going to have to try the strawberry toast!
RunInBoise recently posted..Saturday Was Awesome

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Ummm that sounds really weird, haha, I can’t imagine that combo tasting good but maybe it does!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..You’re Good Enough NOW

6 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution February 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Strawberries, goat cheese and balsamic are great together. I once made an appetizer for my book club that consisted of hollowed out strawberries filled with goat cheese cream and drizzled with balsamic — they were incredible. I can’t imagine adding avocados would make it bad, as avocados are incredible. Good+good+good+good = goooooooooood
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Monday, We Meet Again

7 TorontoRunner February 18, 2013 at 4:15 pm

ahh I agree with the let looose and live thought. I stress easy and sometimes forget to live in the moment, NOW!
Happy Monday!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Running / Meditation

8 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Boo for recipe fail! On my mind today. . . trying to not get nervous about teaching my first full body pump class tonight!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 2/17/13

9 Meghann February 18, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Don’t be nervous! I’m sure you’re going to do great! Good luck!

10 Angela February 18, 2013 at 6:09 pm

You are the queen of random combos 🙂 that one sounds interesting… I may have to wait and see what you think of it first.
Angela recently posted..25 things about my favorite 25 year old.

11 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I can see how strawberry, goat cheese, and balsamic would go together. I do wonder how the avocado would fit in. Hearing about failed Pinterest projects always reminds me of the Pinstrosity blog, which if you haven’t seen it, is hilarious. Lots of craft projects gone wrong, but there are also some recipes that turned out horribly. Happy anniversary to your brother and SIL!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Long Run Reward = Fro Yo

12 [email protected] February 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm

The Princess 1/2 is on my mind tonight. I had a really negative experience a couple of years ago so Im kind of a wreck. Ive worked really hard and know Im ready but sometimes feel that because I still have so much weight to lose that I dont have “any business at a half marathon”. Its really been bothering me today. You are so right on though about not letting other people’s negativity stifle your personality. As for your “weird” food combos- I find it rather fun AND sometimes I catch myself thinking this is a “Meals and Miles” combo Im making- especially when I do a random “snack plate” for lunch. 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Going And Going And Going

13 The Many Thoughts of a Reader February 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm

That looks so good.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..March Group Read Suggestions

14 Becky @ runfundone February 18, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I think that sandwich sounds delish! I have all the ingredients except the avocado. I’m lactose intolerant, and last week tried goat cheese and cottage cheese in the same day and got sick. Now I don’t know which thing it was that made me sick! Perhaps I’ll try this sandwich to find out if it was the goat cheese…
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Thrifty Arm Warmers

15 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 19, 2013 at 8:20 am

I think I would love that combo of a sandwich!!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Crossfit And Clean Eats Catch Up

16 Rachel @ RachelRuns29.11 February 19, 2013 at 9:07 am

Now I’m thinking about strawberries.

And the Gasparilla this weekend! Woohoo!

17 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 19, 2013 at 9:20 am

The avocado + goat cheese combo is incredible and one of my favorites…adding in strawberries and balsamic? I can only imagine it would take it to a whole new level! Love weird food combos like that too.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..I’m Not Skinny (and I don’t want to be)

18 Kim February 19, 2013 at 10:04 am

What’s on my mind is the upcoming Polar Bear Plunge in the icy Atlantic on Saturday. Brrrr! And that sandwich…looks awesome and I’m gonna give it a whirl some time soon!
Kim recently posted..No Negotiations!

19 Christine @ BookishlyB February 19, 2013 at 2:56 pm

That sandwich reminds me of another- guac, bacon, chicken, and strawberries. So good!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Kickin’ it Old School

20 Hannah February 24, 2013 at 8:05 pm

That sandwich looks awesome!
Hannah recently posted..Fresh Flowers