Diane on the Run

by Meghann on February 18, 2013

Brrrr…. it’s so chilly, even Maddie is cold.

She slept by my feet under the covers last night. She does not like this cold weather business.

And, yes, that’s a doggie hoodie she’s wearing. It’s the latest in doggie fashion. Obviously.

It was so cold that I think a lot of the CrossFit regulars opted to stay in bed rather than head to the box this morning. Basically anytime the weather drops below 45 degrees in Florida, we’re useless. We’re big cold weather babies and we’re proud. Luckily the weather doesn’t get that cold too often. I wore a pair of running tights to CrossFit this morning that I bought the week after Christmas and hadn’t had the opportunity to wear them until now. That will probably be the only chance I have to wear them until I pack them up for next year. Oh well.

I showed up at CrossFit this morning to an empty parking lot. For a minute I was worried I was going to be the only one in today’s class, but two other CrossFitters walked in just as class was starting. Have you ever done a CrossFit class by yourself? It’s definitely missing that camaraderie and competitive spirit that makes you push yourself harder and faster through the WOD. When it’s just you, it’s kind of boring.

Today’s WOD.

20130218_074028.jpg

Hello, Diane. It’s been far too long since we’ve seen each other. Not that I really missed you all that much.

The good news is I’ve been making major strides in the dead lift department since my last Diane. I’m still not at the recommended 155# (ha! my 1RM is only 125!), but I did go for 95 today. Last time we did Diane I think I was at 55 or 65 (back when I first started CrossFit), so I’m proud of my big jump there. CrossFit is all about new personal goals and personal bests (much like running is) and all personal victories are always celebrated <- love that!

The last time we did Diane I was on the box for HSPU (hand stand push ups). This time around I’ve graduated to the bands.

20130218_074020.jpg

HSPUs with the bands are just plain fun (yes, I really just said that). I can only do about 10 at a time on the bands, so I rested when I could (no longer than 10 seconds at a time) and went at my own pace.

Diane:

• 21 – 15 – 9
  • Dead lifts
  • HSPUs

(translation: 21 dead lifts, 21 HSPUs, 15 dead lifts, 15 HSPUs, 9 Dead lifts, 9 HSPUs)

Finish time: 7:27

And if that wasn’t enough… we finished the WOD with a partner run.

• Partner #1 – run 30 seconds for meters
  • 30 seconds transition
  • Partner #2 – run 30 seconds for meters

6 rounds. Add total meters at end.

Since there were three of us, Ken and I ran together as “Partner #1” and just counted our meters as a whole since we’re about the same pace. We ran as far as we could for 30 seconds and had 30 seconds to get back to the start before our partner started their 30 seconds. In total we had about a minute of rest between each 30 second sprint.

When all was said and done we had a total of 1465 “partner” meters.

I wanted something warm and comforting for breakfast this morning. Oatmeal was the only thing on my mind.

In the jar:

• 1/3 rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • chia seeds
  • vanilla whey protein powder
  • cinnamon
  • raisins
  • walnuts
  • strawberries
  • almond slivers

IMG_8724.jpg

Once you go oats in a jar, you never go back. I’m a nut butter jar hoarder. πŸ˜‰

Have you ever been the only person in a group fitness class before? Or what’s the smallest group fitness class you’ve ever taken?

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 18, 2013 at 10:24 am

I went to a Zumba class where there were just 2 of us and it wasn’t bad! It was a rainy, just above freezing day here in Chicago so I don’t think anyone wanted to make the trip!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..You’re Good Enough NOW

2 Emily February 18, 2013 at 10:39 am

I’ve gone to a few classes before with only a few people. Sometimes I think it’s a better work out, since the instructor can give you a lot more one on one time.

I love Maddie’s doggie hoddie! So cute πŸ™‚

3 Allison February 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

I once lucked out into being the only person in a yoga class. I got an hour long private session with the yoga instructor, for the price of a group class ($12). Score!

4 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

Love that hoodie so cute! I have been the only one in an aerobics class before and it was just ok. . . the instructor was cool with still doing the class and we just rocked it out together. As an instructor, I always dread having just 1 or a few people in class, because it is always easier to teach with a bigger class.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 2/17/13

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Oats in a jar is amazing! I even suggested last week that we figure out some way to market nearly empty nut butter jars so that we always have a constant supply!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..5 Things I Learned From Grandpa

6 Caitlin February 18, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I attended a yoga class on a rainy evening where I was the only person there. It was fine and I enjoyed it because she really helped adjust me and correct any mistakes I was making.

I keep meaning to save my nut butter jars/containers but somehow always fail. Maybe next time.

7 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions February 18, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I take dance classes, and the two breakdance classes I’m in right now are super small. One has four people, although only three of us show up consistently, and the other one just has me and one other person. Nothing like individual attention! Haha. It’s good for me, though. I’m friends with the person in my just-the-two-of-us breakdance class, and having just that person there makes me feel way less self-concious over my utter lack of swag than I think I’d feel if there were a ton of people there.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Best Body Bootcamp Week 6: Slight Modification

8 Annette @FitnessPerks February 18, 2013 at 1:56 pm

It’s sunny here-mostly, and still cold. So yah, now you know how we all feel like. Hah πŸ˜‰

Looks like a fun workout!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Tight Calves + Weekend Recap

9 Rachel February 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I’ve never done a CrossFit class by myself but I do enjoy the smaller classes. I like that the coaches are able to give you more attention and watch your form. I love setting personal bests at CFB! I was so proud of myself when I finally started doing 20 inch box jumps last week!
Rachel recently posted..Successful Weekend

10 Maddie February 18, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Where do you see the future of your blog heading? It seems like you are skipping over some meals/posts, and it seems like you are eating a lot of the same meals and doing the same workouts (lots of whiteboard pictures). Are you planning on jazzing up the blog, or just keeping it the same old, same old?

11 Meghann February 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm

The whiteboard workouts are CrossFit workouts. I’ve been doing those 3x a week, which is why you’ve been seeing them on the blog a lot lately. I’m petty sure my workout and meal posts have always been pretty repetitive (there’s only so many ways you can blog “I ran 3 miles” or show a sandwich πŸ˜‰ ), so that’s nothing new. And for missing meals/blog posts, I’ve slowly been transitioning away from blogging absolutely everything I eat and just blogging what I feel like. The thing I love about blogging is that blogs evolve and there is never a right or wrong answer with what you blog about. This blog has been my baby for four years and it changes as I change.

12 Maddie February 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Ok, well thanks for your response. I know the whiteboard pictures are your crossfit workouts, but they never make sense to me, and I see a ton of them on your blog! I guess it’s something that crossfitters understand, but not “runners.” Good luck!

13 Erica February 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I bet president’s day had a little to do with the MIA people too! I hate this cold. It was like 35 in Charleston this morning! NOT cool. Yummy breakfast!
Erica recently posted..Monday Things (Vegan Chickpea Soup)

14 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Whew, that sounds like a hard core workout this morning! No wonder you were hungry! I don’t think I’ve ever been the only person at a fitness class before, but I’ve definitely been in classes with only three or four students. Small class sizes for yoga can be nice–the teacher can tailor the class to what a few people need as opposed to what a huge group of people need.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Long Run Reward = Fro Yo

15 Mel February 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm

We did Diane Friday and my back is still sore! I used 155 (which got heavy!) but it felt good. You are doing awesome! I love hearing about your crossfit wods. Also, I’ve never been in a crossfit class alone before my coach helps me one on one with my form and I love it. When you are ever alone just ask to perfect form on a certain lift or a certain skill and don’t feel like you have to do the wod. I’m sure your coach won’t mind a bit!

16 meredith February 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I love my oatmeal in an empty peanut butter jar! And to make it even better, I use a plastic spoon that I take home from the self-serve yogurt store…who needs fancy dishes and flatware lol
meredith recently posted..DInner Detox

17 Emily N February 19, 2013 at 9:41 am

You Floridians crack me up. 45 degrees is a HEAT WAVE (and would have me running outdoors in shorts and a tank!) at this time of year. πŸ™‚ ok, maybe not that little clothes. but crops and a t shirt for sure.
Emily N recently posted..Hubs B-Day Spectacular!