Apple Runner

by Meghann on February 17, 2013

Two big races are happening around Tampa and Orlando next weekend (Gasparilla and runDisney’s Princess Half Marathon) and it’s a shame they’re happening next weekend and not this weekend. Talk about incredible weather for a race! It was in the 40s when I woke up around 8:00am this morning (cooler weather = the option of sleeping in on longish run days) and absolutely gorgeous outside. Next weekend’s weather forecast calls for highs in the mid-80s. Yikes. Further proof you never know what kind of weather you’re going to get when you run a race in Florida during the winter months. It can be awesome one weekend and really hot the next.

I took advantage of the great running weather outside and even pulled on a long sleeve top for the occasion (something that has happened less than 10 times this year).

285749_10102773955452883_823304098_n.jpg

As I joked on Instagram this morning, Floridians rarely have a chance to run in long sleeve tops so when the weather drops we like to take advantage. Even if that means a short sleeve shirt probably would have worked just fine.

My long run for the week was set at 6 miles. The best part about training for a speedy 10k, and not a half or full marathon, is the fact that my “long” runs are all under double digits. There’s nothing wrong with a good double digit run, but it is nice having your long run for the week done in less than an hour.

We were out of fruit in the house so I took a slight detour and made a pit stop at Publix for an apple. After I bought the apple I carried it for the two or so miles I had left to run. I thought it would be a little awkward, but it was no worse than carrying a water bottle. I wanted to get a yogurt too, but feared it would explode in the bag. The apple seemed a littler sturdier.

Screen shot 2013-02-17 at 3.16.36 PM.png

Luckily the apple survived.

Derek and I had plans for brunch at noon so I made us both small breakfast plates to hold us over until then.

Apple, peanut butter, nuts, and bread. Just enough to calm our hunger, while still leaving room for more food in two hours.

Brunch was at Mangroves in South Tampa.

Mangroves recently launched a new brunch menu and invited some local bloggers out to try their new food items.

IMG_8712.jpg

What’s brunch without a mimosa?

IMG_8697.jpg

On the outside Mangroves resembles a cozy old house, but on the inside it’s been completely redone to represent a modern restaurant and bar. It’s full of clean lines, low lighting, and industrial fixtures.

The menu was full of traditional brunch items with a southern twist.

We started with the chicken and waffles, which had a spicy cajun syrup that worked well with the dish.

The french toast reminded me more of bread pudding than french toast. The inside had an almost custard like texture and was extra rich. It was delicious, but all you needed were a few bites to have your fill of the dish.

The spicy sweet potato hash browns were sadly not my favorite. A few of the potatoes were a tad undercooked and the spice wasn’t as spicy as I was hoping.

The avocado, bacon, and blue cheese salad was my favorite dish of the morning. The avocado and blue cheese were so creamy that you didn’t even need dressing. The mango and bacon grilled cheese served on the side was also a winner. I’ve never thought of combining mango and bacon before, but it totally works.

All in all it was a great a menu and I would happily return for brunch again. However, Mangroves is a little pricey, so it would have to be for a special occasion.

What’s your favorite brunch item? I really liked today’s salad, but generally gravitate towards waffles or something sweet when out for brunch.

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 17, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I like sweets for brunch, too πŸ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..2013 Tinkerbell Half Marathon Recap

2 Hilary February 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm

What’s the screenshot thing that details your run (mileage, cals, etc) ? Is it from an app?
Hilary recently posted..lost

3 Meghann February 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm

It’s DailyMile http://www.dailymile.com/

4 TorontoRunner February 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I absolutely LOVE that long sleeve top!
TorontoRunner recently posted..An Apology + Summer Vacations??

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 17, 2013 at 4:38 pm

YUM! I’m a big fan of french toast – especially if that french toast includes cinnamon. Though i do have to say, some attempts at making french toast more complicated (like cinnamon roll or some custardy french toast), while I’m sure it’s good, my favorite is just french toast dipped in a cinnamon egg wash and topped with peanut butter, banana and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Keep it simple. πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Movin’ Shoes Frosty 5k

6 Army Amy* February 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I love a good scramble or omelette, but I am never able to resist French toast when it’s on the menu. I recently had cinnamon roll French toast. Yeah, it’s as amazing as it sounds.

7 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 17, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I love your running top! My favorite running weather is when temps are in the 40s. I hope you enjoyed it! I think my favorite brunch item is the mimosa, but as far as food goes, if mashed potatoes are being served, I’ll definitely load up my plate with a lot of them, especially if I’ve done a long run earlier that day. I also really like bread pudding and any baked goods that are available. πŸ™‚ Have a great Sunday!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Saturday Sushi

8 meghan February 17, 2013 at 5:01 pm

This weather has been fantastic. And looking at those pictures makes me want to eat the food again. I think my favorite was the chicken and waffles. It was so tasty, though the french toast was really good.
meghan recently posted..Weekly Workouts Recap: a big week

9 Barry Wright, III February 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm

My favorite is always an omelette (breakfast or brunch) – I like spinach, mushroom and olive!
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Welcome to the Dip

10 Chelsea February 17, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Are you running Gasparilla or Disney?
Chelsea recently posted..weekend recap

11 Meghann February 18, 2013 at 10:09 am

Sadly I am not. However, I will be on the sidelines cheering on my friends at Gasparilla this year.

12 Christine @ BookishlyB February 17, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Between cross fit, cycling, swimming, and running you burn a TON of calories. On one hand I’m jealous, but on the other it seems like a lot of work making sure that you’re fueling correctly. Do you ever track what you eat (besides blog pictures)?
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Three Funny Ladies

13 Meghann February 18, 2013 at 10:09 am

If you’re looking at the calories on DailyMile, I wouldn’t say those are very accurate – they seem to overestimate. I’ve never really been one to keep track of calories or my food. Not all of my meals or snacks go on the blog (like that handful of peanuts I had just now). As long as my weight stays even, I assume I’m on track with the right amount of fuel for my workouts.

14 Elisabeth February 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm

My choice for breakfast/brunch is always more of a savory, protein-based dish – I usually go for eggs, turkey sausage patties & home fries or maybe an omelet.

15 Caitlin February 17, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Out of curiosity: do you run with your rings on? I don’t run with my engagement ring, but have considered running with just the wedding band once we’re married.

16 Meghann February 18, 2013 at 10:06 am

I run with mine on. Someone once told me the only way to guarantee not losing your ring is to never take it off so I sort of live by that philosophy.

17 BroccoliHut February 17, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Such a cute top! I’m quite jealous of your workout wardrobe.
As for brunch items, I usually go for spicy tomato juice/virgin bloody mary and a made-to-order omelet!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies with Strawberry Frosting

18 Meghann February 18, 2013 at 10:10 am

haha thank you. right now my workout wardrobe dominates my closet.

19 Kel February 17, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Hahaha, I haaate myself for saying this, but the guilt-trip environmentalist in me cringes to see that you got a plastic bag just to hold one apple!!

Hope the weather for next week turns out to be just as nice as this weekend. πŸ™‚

20 Eesh February 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Everything looks so yum!

I know how you feel about taking advantage of the cooler weather. It’s actually freezing here in The Bahamas (freezing as in 60 degrees…yes that’s cold for us) and I’m loving that I get to break out the long sleeve tops and leggings to workout.

xx
Eesh recently posted..I Just Came To Say Hello

21 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 17, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Love getting sweet things for brunch! French toast or a Belgian waffle are usually my first choices.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Plan for the Week.

22 Becky @ Olives n Wine February 17, 2013 at 8:47 pm

My favorite brunch item is a mimosa – Is that wrong??!? Haha πŸ™‚ Second to that would be a chocolate croissant. I have my priorities straight! I love that you picked up an apple on your run. I probably would have eaten it on my way home!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Push-Up Challenge – Week 4

23 [email protected] February 17, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Brunch is the best meal of the week because you can literally have any weird combo and its fine. Oh and salad and a scone? Dont mind if I do! πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..Going And Going And Going

24 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 18, 2013 at 7:47 am

OK so I’m totally goin to make a bacon mango pita wrap prob for dinner this week. I would have never thought of that combo!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Weekly Meal & Fitness Plan: Meal Prepping: Quinoa Raisin Granola Bars

25 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

You always have the best looking food on the weekends! I need to come hang out with you!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..5 Things I Learned From Grandpa

26 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 18, 2013 at 9:56 am

Mango and bacon grilled cheese, sounds like a fabulous combo and easy to re-create at home! I’m gonna have to try that, I’ve been craving some more adventure in the kitchen.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..So Sometimes I’m Not That Healthy

27 Emily N February 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm

The chicken and waffles look especially delicious!
Emily N recently posted..A LOT of Words

28 Lauren February 18, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I wish I knew you were at the brunch, I would have said hello! That’s me in the photo at Mangrove’s, haha. Maybe see you at the next blogger event. Or at the Gasparilla races, I’m just doing the 5K.
– Lauren