Rutabaga Hash Browns

by Meghann on February 15, 2013

I get lazy on the weekends, especially when it comes to cooking. Lately Derek and I have picked up a nasty habit eating out on the weekends. One meal out is fine, but the three or four we’ve been averaging is starting to add up. We’re trying to save up for a big trip this summer and cutting out those extra meals is an easy way to cut unnecessary spending.

So I did the typical “we have nothing to eat” dance in front of the fridge this evening, I pushed the bottles around and looked for food I knew wasn’ t there. Only this time I didn’t admit defeat. I thought about our future plans, pulled out a few random ingredients, and made a Friday night meal.

It might not be a typical meal, but it was still a tasty one.

We had a rutabaga that I chopped in small cubes and made rutabaga hash browns with. I started with the rutabaga to a hot pan with a little bit of oil, then added carrots, onions, mushroom, and spinach. I seasoned everything with salt, pepper, and a few dashes of worcestershire sauce.

I topped the hash browns with a runny egg, which coated the hash browns with a yolky sauce as soon as I tore into it. The meal was simple, delicious, and cheaper than going out to eat. Score!

We stayed in tonight and caught up on the DVR. Did anyone see last night’s Glee last night?! OMG! Such a great episode! One of my favorite of the season. 🙂

Good night, everyone!

1 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 15, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I love how you are always doing fun meals with vegetables that most of use have never, ever thought to try. Keep it up it is motivating!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 21 and 22: Keep it Fresh – fuel and fitness

2 TorontoRunner February 16, 2013 at 12:41 am

I have not watched much Glee at all this year – you got me curious about last night’s show now!
TorontoRunner recently posted..An Apology + Summer Vacations??

3 Caitlin February 16, 2013 at 7:19 am

We’ve definitely joined you in that eating out all weekend club. Our rule has always been to go out Saturday night for dinner, but other than that we eat in all week. I’m always super good about having healthy snacks on me and avoiding needing to buy anything while out during the week/weekend. Slowly our going out once/week became going out for lunch and dinner and next thing I know we went out 4 times last weekend. While it is adding up financially, I’ve also gained almost 2 lbs. and that’s enough motivation to cut back, for me, and to up the running. This weekend we’re cutting back, for both our bank account as well as my waist line.

4 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 16, 2013 at 8:11 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had a rutabaga just sitting around in my fridge lol!! That’s so creative! I love runny eggs!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Attune Food’s Free Giveaway!

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 16, 2013 at 8:43 am

Ooo now I can’t wait to watch Glee! And I’ve surprised myself with what I can make out of my fridge when I make a rule that I can’t go to the store during the week! I really do have plenty of food, even if I run out of a favorite item.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Date Night with Chelsey

6 Barry Wright, III February 16, 2013 at 11:02 am

What a great idea! I find a great way to uncover new recipes is to take something I know and switch out a single ingredient like you did replacing potato with rutabaga. I’ve done something similar with eggplant!
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Sloth & Gluttony

7 Blogging Runner February 16, 2013 at 11:16 am

Your meal looks awesome! I’m a terrible cook, but I will always try to put something together instead of paying to eat out and not knowing how many calories I’m eating!
Blogging Runner recently posted..Running Under 9 Minute Miles