Another Valentine’s Day

by Meghann on February 14, 2013

Maddie had something she wanted to say…

MaddieValentine.jpg

I love my spastic little JRT. πŸ™‚

Happy Valentine’s Day!! Did you get any sweets from your honey?

Derek and I agreed we’re not doing anything big this year. Technically today is the four year anniversary of when we first started dating again (we dated in college then reconnected a couple of years later), but I’m not sure what the rules are with celebrating dating anniversaries once you’re married? Do you still celebrate them or do you just celebrate your wedding anniversary? hmmm…

Either way we’re still riding high from our wedding and that’s enough celebrating for us. I did have some fun picking out my first “husband” Valentine’s card.

538115_10102710572148533_1267667193_n.jpg

The funny thing is I think it’s the first Valentine’s card I’ve ever bought Derek and I bought it as soon as they started putting Valentine’s cards out on display. I couldn’t resist! Happy Valentine’s Day, babe! Love you. πŸ™‚

Last night I broke out the cast iron skillet and decided to try something new in the kitchen: apple and walnut boneless pork chops.

First I sliced a large apple really thin and sauteed the slices in the cast iron skillet with a smidgen of butter and cinnamon.

Once the apples were soft, I removed them from the heat and lightly breaded the boneless pork chops in a mix of cornmeal, cinnamon, and a 16-spice seasoning.

IMG_8613.JPG IMG_8614.JPG

The pork chops were added to the skillet and flipped once a nice crust had formed on the bottom side.

When the other side had the same crisp, I added the apples back to the skillet and crumbled some walnuts on top.

And covered the dish with foil.

The covered skillet was placed in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes, then I removed the foil and cooked for an additional 2-3 minutes. Since my pork was sliced thin, they didn’t need long to cook.

If you like your apples really soft you can let them cook a little longer before hand. I prefer mine with a bit of bite still left in them.

We served the apple and walnut pork chops with mashed cauliflower.

I was really happy with the way the pork came out. The sweetness of the apple and crunch of the walnut complemented the pork chops well. The whole meal also took less than 30 minutes to make – the perfect quick and easy weeknight time frame. πŸ™‚

This morning Maddie and I continued with our Thursday morning run tradition and enjoyed an easy 3 mile run together. I think Thursdays are now Maddie’s favorite days, that girl loves to run.

We did our usual out and back route, then returned for breakfast. Lots of water and kibble for Maddie and a smoothie with breakfast biscuits for mommy.

IMG_8648.jpg

The smoothie was a replica of Tuesday’s Nutty Orange Creamsicle Smoothie, only I added a handful of frozen strawberries to the mix.

IMG_8660.jpg

The strawberries gave the smoothie some extra berry sweetness. Yum.

And since every breakfast needs some crunch, I had two breakfast biscuits with peanut butter and walnuts on the side.

Do you have any big plans for Valentine’s Day? Or do you prefer to keep the day quiet and simple?

1 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 14, 2013 at 10:01 am

Shane and I just kind of “recognize” our dating anniversary now that we’re married. Sometimes we’ll do a card, but more often than not we’ll just mention it – maybe go out for dinner or something πŸ™‚
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Self, Will You Be My Valentine?

2 Mrs. Swan February 14, 2013 at 10:02 am

Valentine’s Day is just a normal day around here. I am avoiding sugar (day 46) so I will not be bringing any candy into the house. Normally I would have gotten something small (candy or toy) for my sons but I forgot. :X LOL
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Full belly of yummy food.

3 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 14, 2013 at 10:24 am

We do a simple valentines day every year. This year Matt is cooking a surprise dinner and I’m in charge of the surprise dessert. Maybe watch a movie with a bottle of wine. My ideal night πŸ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..How running stole my heart

4 Emily February 14, 2013 at 10:38 am

What a cute card!! Is it from Target?!

We never have celebrated Valentine’s in a big way, but tonight Johnny is attempting to make dinner at home with lobster tail! Cuddled up on the couch with hubby, puppy, and a big bottle of wine is my ideal valentines day anyways!

Enjoy your first Valentine’s Day as a Mrs!!!
Emily recently posted..Do you believe in β€œThe One”?!

5 Meghann February 14, 2013 at 10:49 am

Yes, it’s a Target card – they seriously have the cutest stuff! And jealous of the lobster tail! I see a big bottle of wine in our future tonight, too. πŸ™‚

6 Emily February 14, 2013 at 11:01 am

Haha so proud (or embarrassed?!) I could pick that out, but they really do have the best cards!
Emily recently posted..Do you believe in β€œThe One”?!

7 lisa fine @ vermont vittles February 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

I think most people just celebrate their wedding anniversary after they get married. I imagine that’s what we’ll do (and we’re in the midst of picking a wedding date!)

As for Valentine’s Day, last night we went to see Silver Linings Playbook (I highly recommend it), and today we’re skiing for the day since it’s only $14. So cute. And I’m testing a batch of chocolate beet muffins. πŸ™‚
lisa fine @ vermont vittles recently posted..winter csa share, box six

8 Meghann February 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

JEALOUS of skiing!!! I also really want to see Silver Linings Playbook, but I think I’m just going to have to wait until it comes to RedBox. πŸ™‚

9 Chelsea February 14, 2013 at 10:51 am

Happy Valentine’s Day to you & your new hubby.. and to Maddie too! πŸ™‚

Your dinner recipe looks fantastic. I can’t wait to try it. I’m always looking for new ways to cook pork chops because that is one meat I seem to always screw up. ha! Thanks for the tip!
Chelsea recently posted..old news.

10 Meghann February 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

I’ve been experimenting a lot with pork lately since I’m kind of bored with chicken. It’s a versatile meat once you figure it out. πŸ™‚

11 Diana February 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

We keep things low key…no gifts or anything. I did buy him a card just because I wanted a “husband” card. We got married in May so it’s our first married Valentine’s. I’m like you….I think this is the first Valentine card I’ve ever bought him lol

12 Natalie @ will jog for food February 14, 2013 at 11:16 am

My husband and I don’t celebrate Valentine’s day, but we celebrate our wedding anniversary and first date anniversary πŸ™‚
Natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Week 32 – Bring on the Tums

13 deva at deva by definition February 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm

We are getting married 4 days after our dating anniversary (our wedding is 100 days from today!!!), so we plan to just reset the clock to one, move our anniversary out four days, and celebrate on May 25th starting next year.

this year, we do plan to go out for a very nice dinner for our dating anniversary, since it will be our 7th anniversary and our last hurrah before becoming husband and wife πŸ™‚
deva at deva by definition recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day!

14 Angela February 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Quiet and simple for us! πŸ™‚ we are going to make a yummy dinner together tonight!
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {v-day edition}

15 Annette @FitnessPerks February 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I love love! SO I think Valentine’s Day is a fun day to celebrate–but we aren’t all crazy with the gifts or anything. We just make each other a homemade card, leave sweet notes, and eat a dinner together–at home, with a fun dessert. I think it’s fun to celebrate (i.e. decorate a bit), but nothing too crazy. Plus, we love love all year long, so it’s not tooo much of a difference! hah
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..I Love Love (Happy Valentine’s Day!) + Winner

16 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 14, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love Valentine’s Day, but since we are on a budget, we keep things low key. We’re going to skip the gym tonight, order a pizza, and have a quiet movie night at home πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Valentine’s Day: Less Money, More Memories

17 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm

It sounds like you’re really getting the most out of being a newlywed. It’s so much fun reading about how much you and Derek are enjoying being married. Happy Valentine’s Day to Maddie and to you! Enjoy your day!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Lovely Day for a Run

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Ha, Valentines is a typical day in my life. I have a “date night” with a friend tomorrow though!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

19 Steph February 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm

We’re hitting Froyo at Yogurt Mountain today since I got a text message with Valentine’s BOGO! Whoo hoo!
Steph recently posted..Love

20 Amanda February 14, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I love reading about how you and Derek are so happy after your wedding. I always hear horror stories about the first year of marriage and get sooooo nervous, but you guys give me hope. πŸ™‚ This is the first time I’m actually celebrating V-Day because I never wanted to before, even when I was dating someone. Now I have a great boyfriend who I actually want to celebrate it with!
Amanda recently posted..A Toast to a Bad Run

21 Jen February 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

My husband and I got married on our five year dating anniversary, so we celebrate our wedding & the beginning of our relationship on the same date!

22 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners February 14, 2013 at 3:19 pm

our wedding anni in in oct, dating anniversary in nov and engagement anni in dec, so we just look at the whole fall and celebrate whenever it works out the best with our schedules!
i am like annette above – i LOVE valentine’s day, but i don’t need any fancy gifts – i usually get the hubby something and he cooks us a gourmet meal and i gorge on sweets πŸ™‚ this is the first of 5 V day’s that we are apart (he is gone for work) so that is a bummer… but i will get to see him in 10 days and took my extra energy to make cookies for friends and that was festive indeed!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

23 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 14, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Funny story: I was running on the treadmill this afternoon when this guy I’ve been talking to for awhile asks if I have any big plans for Valentine’s Day as he walks by. I say “no…” but he just keeps walking by and is like “no?!” …isn’t that when cute boy is supposed to turn around and sweep me off my feet? I just don’t get dating… πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Love YOU!