Pushin’ Wednesday

by Meghann on February 13, 2013

Good Morning! How is everyone’s Wednesday so far?

I started the day at CrossFit with a upper body focused WOD.

20130213_075946.jpg

Today’s skill/focus was the push press, which is a move I enjoy a million times more than the straight presses we were working on last week. The push press allows you to dip and drive the bar up, making it a total body move, rather than just focusing on the strength of your arms and your shoulders. That extra push from dipping your legs gives you an edge and allows you to lift a greater amount of weight.

I was the solo girl in today’s class, which meant I had a bar to myself while the three guys in the class shared. It’s crazy the difference in the weight I was lifting versus the weight they were. For the 3RM all of the guys were hitting 155+ while I maxed at 75. Even though I wasn’t even hitting half the weight they were, each one of them still cheered me on when it was my turn to take on higher level of weight. They clapped and whistled as if I were hitting some crazy numbers like they were. It was really encouraging and made me thankful to have such an awesome group of guys at my box. I’ve never once felt intimidated during any of the WODs, I think that’s why i like CrossFit so much.

WOD:

• 6 push press at 75% 3RM (I did 55)
  • 12 Russian Twists each side 45/25 plates
  • 6 bar muscles ups/ 2 rope climbs/ 15 ring rows
  • 5 RFT

There were two new-to-me moves in that WOD: the russian twists and bar muscle ups.

The russian twists had us gripping a weight plate and twisting side to side.

20130213_075957.jpg

I gulped when I saw “25,” not sure I would be up for the big weight. If there had been a 15lb option, I would have taken it but the plates jumped from 10 to 25 and 10 seemed to small. I took the 25 and it burned (oh, it burned!), but I did it and was darn proud of myself for sticking with the higher weight.

When I saw that rope climbs were a sub for “bar muscles ups,” I already knew those babies were out of my league. They’re basically total body pull up where you end with the bar at your stomach (video HERE). I didn’t even attempt them. Only one guy in our class RXed with the bar muscle ups and he did not make them look like fun – ouch! Instead I dropped all the way to ring rows and stuck with that for the WOD. One day I would love to spend a whole class working on rope climbs, I think it would be fun to learn how to do them, but I need a good amount of practice time to get them right.

5 rounds: 11:36.

Breakfast:

In the mix:

This bowl had the last of my strawberries from strawberry picking last week. I’m sad they’re gone, but we have a whole other 1/2 a flat in the freezer ready to be eaten as well. I see lots of strawberry based smoothies in our future. 😉

Have a great Wednesday!

1 lisa fine @ vermont vittles February 13, 2013 at 10:29 am

I love living in Vermont, but I sure do get jealous seeing the amazing fruit you have in Florida. We won’t have strawberries until at least June! So far away!

So far I’m having a great Wednesday. Been able to catch up on blogs, read some, and going to do some freelance work this afternoon.
lisa fine @ vermont vittles recently posted..help improve vermont vittles enter to win a homemade vegetable moleskine notebook

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 13, 2013 at 10:35 am

I’m really impressed you swam last night and still got the WOD in! And I love it when I surprise myself with a heavier weight, awesome!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Yesterday

3 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 10:39 am

Triathlon season = two-a-days are about to become the norm 🙂

4 Becky @ Olives n Wine February 13, 2013 at 11:18 am

Your breakfast looks delish! I cannot wait until I can get fresh strawberries in a few months 🙂 My WOD last night was ALL legs, needless to say, I am hoping for an arm one tonight or I won’t be able to walk tomorrow!

I have also been the only girl at CrossFit and I feel like I get so many more cheers during the WODs even though I am not lifting as much or moving as quickly! Girl power 🙂
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Heart-Pumping Workout

5 Angela February 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

That sounds so intense and intimidating to me! You are an inspiration!
Angela recently posted..On Being An Encourager

6 Annette @FitnessPerks February 13, 2013 at 11:25 am

I love push presses too!! And russian twists burn so good. NICE work!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Reader’s Request: Monthly Visitor FYI’s

7 Megan February 13, 2013 at 11:50 am

love all your crossfit posts! I’m SO glad you’ve been enjoying it and stuck with it past the wedding. 🙂

8 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Aw, support like that during workouts is so awesome and I love the energy and feeling that it gives to the class. I went to a yoga arm balance workshop a few weeks ago and it was a similar situation–we’d all clap and cheer when someone who was really close was finally able to nail the pose. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Valentine’s Presents

9 Katie February 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I have a crossfit question…..Do you get the same mental benefits from a crossfit workout as you do a run or yoga? For example, I love that when I’m doing yoga or running I can block out my daily stress and just do something. And/or sometimes a new way to deal with a situation will become clear. Do you get that from crossfit? Or is it just the post-workout endorphins and being able to increase weight?
Katie recently posted..Race Recap: TC Valentine’s Day 5k

10 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Just like with anyother exercise, I feel like I’m “in the moment” when I’m doing CrossFit. I forget about everything else and am there to work out. It’s also great to let everything out and leave it on the floor.

11 TC February 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I’m curious if you get a lot of pressure from your “box” to eat paleo? It seems like the paleo and crossfit communities are strongly entwined.

12 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm

They talk about eating paleo, but I’ve never had anyone tell me “you must eat paleo!” I’ve never felt pressured and I’m honestly not even sure if anyone in my class eats paleo. The instructor does, but I’m not sure any of the students do.

13 Hayley February 13, 2013 at 10:15 pm

hey! quesiton- do you eat before an early morning crossfit class? I just started, and have tried both but i’m curious for your opinion! I never eat before an early run, but feel like I usually need to before cross fit

14 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I usually have something small, like half a granola bar or handful of cereal. It’s the same thing I eat before a morning run. Just enough to calm those morning hunger pains, but not enough where you’ll be feeling that morning granola bar in the middle of your workout.

15 Liz February 14, 2013 at 3:27 am

Hey are you super sore from those workouts? I noticed a lot of the bloggers I follow are doing Crossfit. I was just wondering. It looks like a great workout. 🙂
Liz recently posted..FD243 – Never Let Um See You Sweat..Yeah Right, Wednesday Rewind

16 Meghann February 14, 2013 at 6:57 am

It really varies. I’m usually a medium sore the next day, but nothing really terrible.

17 Leana February 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi Meghann! I have an off topic question for you. I just got my first Mac and I’m excited to try it out. I’m looking for suggestions for a blog post editor since I won’t be able to use Windows Live Writer anymore. I remember from awhile ago (long time reader but I don’t really comment) that you were using Ecto but were having issues with it eating some of your posts? I’m wondering if you’ve found a new blog editor/poster that you like?

Thanks for any tips in advance!
Leana recently posted..Crave Chick Chaser 5 Miler

18 Meghann February 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

I’m totally knocking on wood here *knock! knock! knock!* but it’s been a while since Ecto has given me any major problems. Gulp. My guess is one of their updates fixed a lot of the bugs. However, I still write all my posts with caution and have accepted that any minute the whole system could crash. Unfortunately I tested a lot of other programs and none of them were great. Ecto was the best of the worst the last time I checked. Good luck!

19 Emily N February 14, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Oh wow. I can’t wait for summer when GOOD strawberries are readily available (well, more cheaply!) than they are right now… those look SO GOOD.
Emily N recently posted..Working Out and My Stress Level