Nutty Orange Creamsicle Smoothie

by Meghann on February 12, 2013

Do you remember orange creamsicles? They’re the orange popsicles with the vanilla ice cream center. My siblings and I used to gobble them up as kids. They were a special treat on a hot summer day when a regular ole popsicle simple wouldn’t do.

I haven’t had one in years, but when Florida Orange Juice* contacted me and asked if I would create an Orange Juice based recipe, the orange creamsicle of my youth was the first thing that came to my mind. How could I replicate that flavor in a easy recipe? Thus the Nutty Orange Creamsicle Smoothie was born.

nuttyorangecreamsiclesmoothie.jpg

Nutty Orange Creamsicle Smoothie

• 8 oz Florida Orange Juice
  • 8 oz Vanilla Greek Yogurt
  • 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
  • 1 scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
  • 1 tsp Honey
  • Ice*

Place all ingredients in blender and blend.

*Add ice as needed to get the smoothie consistency you’re looking for. I added two handfuls of ice to mine for a medium consistency.

So. Good. The mix of vanilla and orange was spot on with the orange creamsicle flavor profile and the addition of the peanut butter gave the smoothie a nice nutty bite, as well as adding some sticking power to the smoothie. This was a vitamin and protein packed snack that kept me feeling full and energized for swim practice this evening.

IMG_8559.jpg

I can’t wait to make it again in the future. I wonder how it would taste with chocolate protein powder? Chocolate covered oranges are pretty amazing. 😉

The nutty orange creamsicle smoothie was great pre-swim fuel for practice tonight. Coach put us through a quick warm-up before having us swim 1500 yds straight. That’s 30 laps in the pool without a break! How boring is that?

I was afraid I was going to lose count so I kept repeating the number of lap I was on until I got to the next one. I would hit the wall and sing to myself “I’m on lap 20, 20, 20. la de da I’m on lap 20, 20, 20 la de da de da.” Hey, what ever works. After going back and forth 30 times, I was a little dizzy.

We finished the workout with 5x 50 @ 1:00. I was tired and surprised I was hitting the intervals with time to rest. After 1500 straight in the pool, I was just ready for bed.

Here was what the total workout looked like:

• 200 warm up
  • 4×25 kick
  • 1500 straight
  • 5×50 @ 1:00
  • 100 cool down
  • Total: 2150

For dinner I rolled thin steaks with goat cheese.

IMG_8566.JPG IMG_8567.JPG

Then cooked the steaks under the broiler and paired them with roasted broccoli and purple potatoes.

Bam. Dinner. Done.

Time to join these snoring buddies.

529617_10102706252964213_1318337407_n.jpg

Good night!

*Full Disclosure: I’m working with Florida Orange Juice as a blogger for their “Just Add OJ” campaign. As always, all opinions are my own.

1 Laura February 12, 2013 at 10:12 pm

How long did it take to swim 1500?

2 Meghann February 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm

29 minutes (I was last to finish).

3 Liz February 12, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I admire those that swim. I was not able to learn to swim where I grew up, so I’m way behind the curve. I’m hoping to learn when I get back to the states from my overseas work. 🙂 That orange smoothie looks good.
Liz recently posted..FD242 – Old Shoes..Keep um or Toss um…But Thems Good Kicks

4 Reenie February 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Ahhhh ~ Maddie and daddy sleeping nose to nose. 🙂

5 Mrs. Swan February 12, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I am starting to think your obsessed with pb and nut butters. 🙂
Orange juice and PB? That makes me think orange juice and toothpaste. LOL
Mrs. Swan recently posted..I think I will be a juice fast FAIL!

6 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

haha – I am! I’m a firm believe that PB goes with everything, including orange juice. 🙂

7 Angela February 13, 2013 at 12:29 am

Such a cute picture! The idea of orange and peanut butter does sound a tiny bit strange to me… but I bet it gives a little more staying power.
Angela recently posted..On Being An Encourager

8 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 9:28 am

Have you ever tried dipping orange slices in peanut butter? It’s one of my favorite snacks. Try it!

9 TorontoRunner February 13, 2013 at 2:36 am

oh man, just thinking about swimming that many laps non-stop is exhausting. way to go!
TorontoRunner recently posted.."You don’t look like a runner"

10 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 13, 2013 at 6:45 am

I love trying new Smoothies! Those ice cream bars are so good. I haven’t had one in forever!!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW & DIY Valentine’s Day Gifts

11 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 13, 2013 at 9:35 am

That swim makes me want to get back into the pool, and if it wasn’t 20 degrees here I’d be all over it 😉 OJ in smoothies is awesome. I also do OJ with vanilla protein powder and frozen strawberries and raspberries. Fruity and delish!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Grape Edition

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 13, 2013 at 9:59 am

Haha 1500 yards would pretty much be the whole workout for me! But I’ve only swam twice in 2 years… And I’ve actually never had nor seen a creamsicle! Sounds good though
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Yesterday

13 Becky @ runfundone February 13, 2013 at 10:05 am

Ha! I cannot count swim laps at all! I try and try, but I end up getting confused every time. It blows my mind when people can report how many laps they swam…I just have to go by how many minutes, because I can’t figure out how many laps I actually swam!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Avoiding TheRapist

14 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

I learned that it helps to mentally sing the lap numbers, but I agree that it’s a pain to remember them as you flip over and over again.

15 Lindsay February 13, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’m surprised you’ve never swam 1500 straight. Much like a run, it’s a great opportunity to zone out and focus on your stroke and breathing. And I’ve never gotten dizzy in the pool…not even sure how that is possible! Maybe it was that orange + PB combo. 🙂 Not going to lie, that sounds like one disgusting combo. But if your palette likes it, I guess go for it?

16 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 10:36 am

I’ve swam 1500 straight in open water, but never in a 25 yard pool. The back and forth and constant flipping was what made me feel slightly dizzy (or maybe I was just bored and ready to be done?). I wouldn’t knock the orange and pb combo until you try it. It was actually a good friend who introduced me to the snack of orange slices dipped in peanut butter and I thought she was a genius the first time I tried it. That was also what made me a believe that peanut butter can really go on anything.

17 Lindsay February 13, 2013 at 2:53 pm

You were swimming in a 25yd pool? That would make it 60 laps…

18 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 4:58 pm

That would be 60 lengths. A length is from one end of the pool to the other, a lap is when you end up back where you started (i.e. go to one end, flip, and head back to the other side).

19 Emily N February 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

hmmm… not normally an OJ cal, but i would consider it for this recipe…
Emily N recently posted..Some 800 repeats, and how hard is too hard?

20 Rachel @ RachelRuns29.11 February 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Peanut butter with ANYTHING sounds good. The smoothie sounds awesome, can’t wait to try it.

Question- do you still use PB2? I started buying mine online (the bulk package was around 10 and has almost 5x as much as the jar) and love how it dissolves into a smoothie. I don’t really ever use it on sandwiches, etc. but in smoothies it’s so good.

21 Meghann February 13, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I use it on occasion. It’s funny, I’m actually not a big fan of adding it to my smoothies, I find the flavor isn’t as strong as regular ole peanut butter. I prefer PB2 with apple slices or drizzled on pancakes.