Fresh Legs

by Meghann on February 12, 2013

On this morning’s run agenda:

Screen shot 2013-02-12 at 9.31.31 AM.png

I struggled with last week’s tempo run, but after a week of rest and recuperating, I felt stronger and faster this go around. My legs were fresh and ready to do their thing, so I let them. I ran a 1.5 mile warm, started the 800s with the 400 jogs in between, and finished with a 1.5 mile cool down. I pushed my limits and felt the burn, but wasn’t dying in the end either – success!

I programmed the run into my Garmin Forerunner 205 before I left and sped up or slowed down when it beeped. It’s been a while since I’ve programmed a run in my Garmin, but it was pretty simple to get to the setup (home > Training > Workouts > interval > Dist/rest distance) Isn’t technology grand? You no longer have to think during a run – just move your legs and listen for the beeps. Easy peasy.

• 5 Miles
  • Total time: 44:01 (overall 8:48 pace)

After the run I fried up two eggs and sliced a large apple with almond butter for breakfast.

Someone had asked the other week how I was able to transition to becoming more of an egg eater in the morning. The truth is I sort of forced myself into it by not giving myself the option of eating anything else. After a while the habit formed and sort of stuck. I still love my cereal and yogurt in the morning, but I’m getting better at eating eggs 3-4 times a week now. The eggs take no longer to prepare than a thing of oatmeal or mixed bowl of cereal. While the eggs cook I general chop the apple, that way I still get my something sweet in the morning.

How long does it usually take for a new habit to stick for you? It generally takes a couple of weeks for the new habit to stick for me, then it just becomes routine.

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 12, 2013 at 9:57 am

I’m like you-I can usually stick a new habit in a few weeks. And once it becomes part of my routine, it’s almost impossible to break!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Pay It Forward

2 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 12, 2013 at 9:58 am

Weird, but your Garmin interval reference just made me miss training for a race pretty bad! I haven’t missed that feeling in forever. Nice job on the run πŸ™‚

3 Amy @ Sweaty+Sweet February 12, 2013 at 10:01 am

Nice job on your interval workout! I look forward to following your progress towards that 10K PR! As for forming habits, I usually need a good week or two. But even then, if I don’t have a visual reminder such as a sticky note or checklist I sometimes slack off, especially with chores! haha
Amy @ Sweaty+Sweet recently posted..Rock β€˜n’ Roll St. Pete Half Marathon: Race Weekend Recap

4 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 12, 2013 at 10:04 am

I love eggs in the morning, it’s a daily habit around these parts. I try to force myself to mix it up by having oatmeal or yogurt instead, but eggs usually win!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Surviving

5 [email protected] February 12, 2013 at 10:07 am

It takes about a month for me. And only a few days to undo it all together. I should get in the habit of eating more protein in the morning instead of just coffee. If I can get used to vitamins, I can get used to an egg.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..More Hash

6 Kristin @ FoodFash February 12, 2013 at 10:09 am

Ohhhh eggs in the morning are my ultimate fav!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Lemon Vanilla Marshmallows

7 RunEatRepeat February 12, 2013 at 10:13 am

I am obsessed with eggs, so I only change it up when I feel like I need a little variety before I get a vitamin deficiency…
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Applebee’s Under 550 Calorie Menu Giveaway

8 abbi February 12, 2013 at 10:20 am

Same here, a couple weeks and I’m usually good…unless there is a holiday or some other life event that gets thrown in there. Then, it’s starting from scratch again! πŸ™‚
abbi recently posted..Runners Seminar with Bart Yasso

9 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 12, 2013 at 10:46 am

Awesome run! I hope you’re feeling the proper sense of accomplishment after nailing a run like that. I always feel better about my running when I nail a tough workout. Habits generally take a little over a month for me, I think. I know the cliche is that it takes a month to make a habit, but I think I’m a little on the slow side.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Busy weekend

10 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 12, 2013 at 10:47 am

your egg breakfasts always look sogood – how come I never remember that when I am making myself breakfast!!! Eggs for dinner??? πŸ™‚
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 2/10/13

11 Mrs. Swan February 12, 2013 at 11:11 am

I would say a month. If I can make it that long then it is much easier to stick with whatever the new thing is for me.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..3 day juice fast- START

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 12, 2013 at 11:58 am

I never knew you could put a training run into a garmin like that, cool! And I became an egg eater while training for my marathon, I just craved more salty, savory breakfasts and somehow it stuck!

13 beka @ rebecca roams February 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I can east eggs anytime, but I prefer to eat them with my lunch.
Great job on the 800’s! I am getting antsy for speedwork πŸ™‚
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Weekly Rockin’ Workouts Roundup

14 Annette @FitnessPerks February 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I started craving salty-ier b-fasts when I began lifting weights more often, and now I can hardly even stomach sweet stuff in the morning!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Bodyweight Training

15 Sarah February 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Thank you, Meghann! πŸ™‚ I’ll keep trying. πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Running and asthma.

16 Gianna February 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I love eggs for dinner! so quick and easy and can throw a million things in for a scramble/omelet. Yum!

Usually a couple weeks to get a habit to stick…but once it is ingrained, it is impossible for me to break out of! I guess good and bad (since usually it is a “healthy” habit).
Gianna recently posted..Let’s Talk 2013 Plans and Goals…

17 Annie February 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Wow, sounds like an awesome run! I have never used a Garmin like that but it sounds really helpful.

Ya know what forces ME to eat eggs every morning? The fact that I get 3-4 eggs from my hens every morning and if I don’t eat them, I have to throw them away LOL!! If you lived closer I’d totally send a dozen your way πŸ™‚
Annie recently posted..8 most effective motivations to clean your house

18 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 12, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Glad you felt better today…its amazing what some time off can do! I always feel like I have a whole new set of legs πŸ™‚

I think it takes me at least two weeks to form a new habit….after that it starts to get easier!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Days 17 and 18: Weekend Review

19 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 12, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I heard that it takes ten days to form a habit. That sounds about right for me!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Push Up Challenge Week 3 & Fit Test

20 meredith February 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I am glad you posted this breakfast today, I have been looking to switch things up lately since I tend to eat some form of oatmeal every morning and lately it hasn’t been filling me/working for me. I loveeeeee apples with peanut butter and tend to eat one every night as a snack. Maybe I will try having one for breakfast with eggs! My only issue is I tend to eat breakfast early, before going for a run, I wonder if it will give me enough energy? hmm, guess we will see!
meredith recently posted..It’s Three Tip Tuesday!

21 Rachel February 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I love running with fresh legs! I accidentally slept through my alarm clock today so I didn’t make it to the gym but I’m hoping it was a blessing in disguise since I have a 5 miler on the schedule for tomorrow.
Rachel recently posted..Current Fave Running Songs

22 Katie February 12, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I have such a hard time with eggs in the morning too because I love my “sweet” meal for breakfast like cereal or oats, however I started to make fruit omelets and I found myself snacking less and much more satisfied with the extra protein and fruit! Here is the base I started to use and now I just mix it up all the time! http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2010/5/15/motto-for-the-day.html just thought I’d share πŸ™‚

23 Angela February 12, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Lately I’ve found myself making little snack platters like yours for meals. πŸ™‚ I love them! Gives a good variety of food!
Angela recently posted..Friday Favorites

24 Liz February 12, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I still haven’t incorporated intervals into my training. That is something I need to look at. Looks like you have it down. Of course I love the pictures of breakfast. πŸ™‚
Liz recently posted..Comment on FD242 – Old Shoes..Keep um or Toss um…But Thems Good Kicks by LizForADay