Mondaze

by Meghann on February 11, 2013

Good Morning! Anyone else in a “Mondaze” this morning?

After a birthday-ful Friday and Saturday, Derek and I spent most of Sunday watching cheesy Hallmark movies on the couch. It was the perfect Sunday in my opinion. I did take a break between “Long Lost Valentine” and “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” (not a Hallmark movie, but might as well have been) to get in a 45 minute session on my trainer.

Admittedly the weather was perfect for a long ride on the trail, but I was too lazy to pack the bike up and drive 20 minutes to the trailhead (it’s not safe to ride my bike around my house). Luckily, Derek is getting me a bike rack for my birthday (hooray!), which should make transporting my bike a little easier and more fun. The bike rack is something I probably should have invested in three years ago, but better late than never, right?

Speaking of bike racks.. Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced bike rack that can attach to the trunk of my car?

CrossFit!

20130211_075607.jpg

I liked today’s WOD. It came with a nice long warmup (which was needed this morning!) and included the bench press, which is always nice since you get to lay down for it. πŸ˜‰

When we worked on the 5 RM press last week, I made the mistake of going too heavy during my warm up and not being able to hit the 5 RM I had hit the week prior. Since I didn’t want to make the same mistake this week, I asked my coach to help lead my warm up. He started me off light with the bar (45lbs), then only a couple of sets at 55 lbs before diving in to trying for the 5 RM. This way I was warm, but not exhausted when it came time to go all out.

His warm up worked. At first we went straight to 80lbs (5lbs above my previous 5RM), but I could only get 3. After a long rest, I tried again at 75lbs and nailed it. I finished feeling worked, but not over exhausted – exactly where I wanted to be.

The main WOD was 7 rounds of:

• 3 power snatches
  • 5-10-15 shuttles
  • 10 toes to bar

The power snatches and shuttles were short and sweet through the seven rounds, but the 10 toes to bar were killer. At first my feet would find their way back to the box between reps and it felt as if the toes to bar were taking forever. After my coach saw what I was doing, he suggested I move away from the box once I was on the bar and use my momentum to get my legs up, instead of catching myself on the box every time.

20130211_075622.jpg 20130211_075621.jpg 20130211_075619.jpg

As soon as he said that something clicked and I found my rhythm. The toes to bar went a lot quicker and I was able to move through the last few rounds faster than the first two.

20130211_075822.jpg

Post-CrossFit I had a lovely bowl of greek yogurt, fresh mango, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, walnuts, and almond slices for breakfast.

The mango was perfectly sweet and ripe. So delicious.

It’s coffee time!

Have a great Monday, everyone!

1 Sarah February 11, 2013 at 11:06 am

totally in the mondaze. πŸ™‚ i fell three times during my run this morning too because of the ice. yay michigan! your pictures of florida have been making me uber jealous though but i hope i’ll be down there soon for the Disney College Program! πŸ™‚

2 Helen February 11, 2013 at 11:15 am

Saris Bones bike rack is absolutely wonderful. It doesn’t take too long to put on the trunk and we love it!

3 Jessica February 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Seconded! Easy and indestructible (says a girl whose previous rack broke while flying down the left lane of the turnpike at 80 MPH). Worth all the dollars.

4 Dana February 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

I have a Saris Sentinel that’s worked really well for my Trek bike. It was the cheaper of the ones I looked at since I was on a budget. I’ve heard wonderful things about the Saris Bones though, if you have a bigger budget.
Car racks make the entire bike experience SOOOOOO much better. Enjoy!

5 Christine @ BookishlyB February 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

You mean you want to attach the bike rack to the drunk IN your car? Or the TRUNK of your car? πŸ˜‰

I’m sure I’d be suffering from a case of the Mondays if I had to go to work, but our district is on a furlough “February break” so I’m still in my PJs eating Puffins.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..By the Book- Why Croissants Represent My Life

6 Natalie @ will jog for food February 11, 2013 at 11:20 am

Sounds like my Sunday! Except I forced my hubby to watch Downton Abbey and now he is addicted πŸ™‚
Natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..One Night in San Fran

7 Meghann February 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I keep meaning to watch that show! It might be on the agenda for our next lazy Sunday. πŸ™‚

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 11, 2013 at 11:29 am

I love super relaxing day offs! I was off yesterday but did have a work meeting in the evening so I spent the whole day double-checking what time it was for fear that I’d miss the meeting, which made it hard to relax too much.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..#Grammys Recap

9 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 11, 2013 at 11:38 am

Mango is one of my favorite fruits!! And I absolutely hate toes to bar!!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..C= Crossfit, Carrot Cake & Corn Casserole

10 Karen February 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm

We checked out all kinds of bike rack options. We finally decided to try the cheapie Walmart version just to see and it’s been great. Super easy, cheap and fits two bikes.
Karen recently posted..Oyster shooters and creative planters

11 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian February 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm

yupp – so in a Mondaze today. I blame the blizzard this past weekend. I’m just totally thrown off.

12 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I’ve been wanting to try toes to bar on my own… eep!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Grains, what’s the big deal anyway?

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 11, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Hmmm I’m no good for bike rack advice, we’ve only ever had trailer hitches that you can put a bike rack on. I am, however, not in a Mondaze – I had a stressful morning needing to be extra-prepared for a class (I knew I was getting called on) and I spent all last night freaking out about it. My sense are on high alert!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Nutty Friends and Nutty Butter

14 Jessica S February 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm

My husband and I have this bike rack from Amazon:

It’s cheap, easy to take on and off the car, and does it’s job well. We’ve had it for over a year and love it!

15 Jenny February 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hi!
What sort of a workout do you do on your trainer?
Right now I just sort of wing it and spin for 45-60 minutes. Do you follow any sort of plan?

16 Emily N February 11, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Definitely a Mondaze. Especially with it being audit time here in the office!
Emily N recently posted..Sunday – I did NOTHING Day

17 Ailed February 11, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I have the Allen deluxe and love it… Used it to haul around a heavy hybrid for over a year and now using it with my Trek Lexa road bike. It offers groves for the cables so they don’t get pinched which is wonderful in my opinion. I would say about a 2-3min to set up at first now I can pop it on my Honda Accord in under a minute.

18 Kristina February 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Personally, I’d spend the extra money and go for a roof rack. I live in the LA area and when I see a rear-mounted bike rack, I always think “what if someone rear-ends your car?”. We have a Yakima and it’s great!

19 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Happy Monday! It sounds like you had a great workout. I think having the proper warm up is so key for so many types of workouts, so it’s good that you were able to figure out a good warm up plan that worked well for your body. Have a great day!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Friday Change of Plans